Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2074578 - 04/30/13 11:09 PM Drumming up new business
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm sure this has been covered here before, but how do you guys and gals drum up new business? I've been looking to increase my teaching load (I'm mainly a church organist/pianist). I put an ad in the church bulletin and got a few new students, but now I'm stuck. I thought about advertising in the hyper-local newspaper, but the classified are filled with gaudy ads for handymen and 'cash for gold', and Craigslist seems like I'd be attracting weirdos. Any suggestions?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2074654 - 05/01/13 12:55 AM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: DanS]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
Most people get new students through word of mouth-- it's the best way to get new students, actually.

You can try giving ads to your current students or starting a group class once a month. Let your friends know that you're taking in new students; they might know someone who might know someone who wants to take piano lessons.

Even at your church, you can (casually) mention that you're taking new students to anyone who lingers by the piano. wink

#2074679 - 05/01/13 01:41 AM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: DanS]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I get a lot of new students through my website.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#2074705 - 05/01/13 03:12 AM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: DanS]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Have you asked the parents of students to recruit other students for you?

#2074725 - 05/01/13 04:04 AM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: DanS]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
elementary schools

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2074840 - 05/01/13 08:43 AM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: DanS]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Just remember that it takes time... I had 2 students in my first year back in Greece, then 3, then around 30, then 7, then 10, now around 15... (30 was half a year I spent replacing a pregnant piano teacher! grin). But I do see a steady raise in count, through the years, so I definitely can't complaint!

#2074844 - 05/01/13 08:53 AM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: DanS]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Dan,
This has been my Craigslist experience: Lots of people selling things. A few wierdos just putting in comments that have nothing to do with starting lessons. And I had one father who wanted a teacher to teach him piano and son violin "at the same time" and didn't want to pay more than $10 per lesson. (No harm done, just delete oddball messages, and decline inappropriate offers.)

BUT I also had one good response and student started lessons. From this one student, through word of mouth my studio has grown. The majority of my students can be traced back to that student. Another found me through an internet search.

Edit: I am reminded of Pip in "Great Expectations". In the end he finds out his benefactor is a criminal. Like Pip, we don't like to associate ourselves with a criminal (or the slimy reputation of a Craigslist), yet sometimes a slimy connection provides income. smile

Edited by Ann in Kentucky (05/01/13 09:24 AM)

#2074848 - 05/01/13 08:58 AM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: DanS]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Having a website I think is key. Also, you may wish to subscribe to some online music teacher websites like getlessonsnow.com. I've gotten at least a couple of students from that which more than pays for the annual fee.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2074892 - 05/01/13 10:04 AM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: ten left thumbs]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs
elementary schools

A great resource for students. If your local private or public schools have music programs, introduce yourself to the teachers and pass along your flyers to them.

#2074933 - 05/01/13 10:45 AM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: Barb860]
red-rose Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: Barb860
elementary schools

A great resource for students. If your local private or public schools have music programs, introduce yourself to the teachers and pass along your flyers to them.

How exactly does one do this? I tried, with the 4-5 schools near me; I looked up online who it was and their email addresses, and emailed them, I only heard back from one person who asked me for references, which I gave, but then never heard anything else back.
Would I have gotten a better response by going into the schools? So how exactly do you do that? Aren't most schools super strict about visitors? Do you just walk into the main office? Or do you find out ahead of time who you want to talk to? Do you go during school hours? Or how do you know if the person will be there when you come?

#2074941 - 05/01/13 10:53 AM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: DanS]
Joyce_dup1 Offline

Loc: Chicago
Eventually you'll reach the point where referral by current students will keep you busy. I offer a bonus to any student who refers a new student. Until you get there (a few years?), I've had the most success from postcard mailings. You can get them cheap on Vista.com. Either mail them out to the immediate neighborhood nearest your local grade school, or if you have a local YMCA or somewhere that does children's programs, get a schedule of activities. Look for one with children the age you're trying to target. And put them on the windshields of the cars in the parking lot. (Be a good neighbor and go back later to pick up discarded cards.) That has always gotten the best response. I have also gotten students from a mix of other advertising strategies, but only one here and there: Church bulletins, advertising on student brochures, providing lesson packages at auctions, flyers on mailboxes, advertising on dance programs, etc. Good luck and let us know what works.

Edited by Joyce_dup1 (05/01/13 10:55 AM)

#2074943 - 05/01/13 10:57 AM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: DanS]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

It may help to join your local teacher organizations. I have had a couple of referrals from other teachers who I met in local teacher organizations.

Edited by Ann in Kentucky (05/01/13 10:57 AM)

#2074945 - 05/01/13 11:01 AM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: DanS]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Unless you can get referrals by word of mouth, I would agree with Morodiene.

A website, and getting yourself listed on a couple of web directories, can be most productive.

For many people these days, their first port of call, is an online search.

(Ironically, as I type, my website(s) are down, due to a problem with my hosting company mad )

#2074947 - 05/01/13 11:05 AM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: DanS]
Brinestone Offline

Do you have a local music store? There's a bulletin board there with lots of teacher ads up. I haven't ever done it myself because I haven't lacked for business, really, but that seems like a good place to advertise, since people are presumably there because of an interest in music.

#2074962 - 05/01/13 11:27 AM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: DanS]
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: pagosa springs,co
Although I've never tried it I think bulletins where the phone numbers can be easily torn from the bottom on the pages....at school, coffee shops, any where you see bulletin boards...libraries....maybe a senior citizen home?

rada

#2074986 - 05/01/13 11:58 AM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: DanS]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Website.

Do a google search for piano teachers in your town. How many listings/sites come up? If there aren't too many, then it's prime for you to have a website. You can create one very easily with www.tripod.com Pick a template and plug in the info and photos you want. It's $9 per month and includes the domain name.

#2074999 - 05/01/13 12:14 PM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: DanS]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Performance opportunities can often get you students.

If you play around the area, at least subbing in other churches if that is mostly your genre, you'll perform for a wider audience of potential students. If you can do cocktail piano, accompanying for choral events, broadway musicals, etc., so much the better.

Not everybody who can play well can teach well, or vice versa, but I've often heard a listener ask a performer if they give lessons. Always have your pocket full of business cards, and remember every gig is also an audition for the next one.

#2075064 - 05/01/13 02:36 PM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: red-rose]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: red-rose
elementary schools

How exactly does one do this? I tried, with the 4-5 schools near me; I looked up online who it was and their email addresses, and emailed them, I only heard back from one person who asked me for references, which I gave, but then never heard anything else back.
Would I have gotten a better response by going into the schools? So how exactly do you do that? Aren't most schools super strict about visitors? Do you just walk into the main office? Or do you find out ahead of time who you want to talk to? Do you go during school hours? Or how do you know if the person will be there when you come?

You could email and ask to meet the teacher in person, introduce yourself and provide references.

#2075086 - 05/01/13 03:20 PM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: red-rose]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Originally Posted By: red-rose
elementary schools

I walk to the school and ring the bell. This is the uk, so maybe different elsewhere. They let me into reception. I smile sweetly and tell the receptionist I am a local piano teacher, I have postcards with my details, and is there a teacher's coffee table or a community noticeboard it could go on?

Last year I got a student directly on walking in. I said 'I am a local piano teacher...' and was interrupted by the receptionist. Family had moved from overseas and girl just started at school. Dad asked where he could find a piano teacher, and the receptionist had no idea. In walks me...

It helps to come at the start of term, when the noticeboards are fresh, to avoid break and lunch time, school start, pick up time, etc.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2075110 - 05/01/13 04:12 PM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: DanS]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks all, there's a lot of good advice here. I've been trying to avoid getting a website, but I think it's probably time. I like idea of getting postcards from vistaprint as well. I think that would work well in my target area. I'll try craigslist too, but I think I'll get the website going first.

I have reached out to a few school teachers (some of the ones who have played at my church), but that hasn't produced any students. I think 20 years ago I could have just walked into a school after hours to try to talk to a music teacher, but somehow I don't think that would fly these days. Perhaps some emails would fit the bill

Thanks again. I'll keep you posted of my progress.

#2075199 - 05/01/13 06:20 PM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: DanS]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Dan, another source for printing postcards is Overnight Prints. I used them a few years back to cover some new neighborhoods in the area. Very nice quality, and easy on the pocketbook.

#2075207 - 05/01/13 06:36 PM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: ten left thumbs]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
I walk to the school and ring the bell. This is the uk, so maybe different elsewhere. They let me into reception. I smile sweetly and tell the receptionist I am a local piano teacher, I have postcards with my details, and is there a teacher's coffee table or a community noticeboard it could go on?
Ditto. Also, some schools have newsletters where you can put ads for a small fee. At least they do where I am.

#2075257 - 05/01/13 08:14 PM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: DanS]
Jonathan Alford Offline

Loc: Colorado
Not sure I can help a lot except I can tell you how I found my current teacher.

I did a web search and looked for a music teacher's association in my area.

I then used their search utility to get a few names that I emailed and met before making my final decision.

Good luck!

Jonathan

#2075516 - 05/02/13 02:00 AM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: DanS]
pianoSD Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
I highly recommend onlessons.com if you are looking to find new students on the web.

I have been using the site for almost 2 months now, and I have received three new students from the site. I use the scheduling calendar to book my current students and then set availability on my calendar with open slots for new students to book me online. They also have a cool management tool that I use to keep track of my student's information.

It's free to signup which is really cool. There aren't any session fees either like some other websites I have seen. I think they do have a paid plan for like $15 / month, but the free plan worked just fine for me.

Heck, a free tool that got me three new students? Can't beat that.

#2075697 - 05/02/13 08:30 AM Re: Drumming up new business [Re: DanS]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
My current teacher had ads posted on craigslist and on local online classifieds. When I googled his name I found no web site, but got several hits for performances, articles, and a large youtube channel.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
31 minutes 57 seconds ago
Need help with chords
by Shirz
Today at 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
Today at 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
Today at 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Who's Online
128 registered (anotherscott, anamnesis, 36251, ando, 34 invisible), 1424 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76651 Members
42 Forums
158488 Topics
2327517 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission