2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Hi there,
As an adult beginner, I could be benefiting from some gross motors skills activities. Somewhat, learning piano is mostly fine motor development and I wonder whether you come across some gross motor activities that can contribute to adult music learning. The most common activities are: foot tapping, clapping.... I also wonder whether there is a set of activities that gradually build one's skills, specially in relation to rhythm building.
Let me know your thoughts.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Teachers of children use activities like marching to the beat, marching while clapping the rhythm, clapping the beat, clapping the rhythm, drumming or using other rhythm instruments or shakers, giant arm circles to the beat, clapping the rhythm or beat on one's thighs, tapping the rhythm on the closed keyboard cover (either just the RH rhythm, just the LH rhythm, or both), etc. You could also just dance interpretively to the music (either a recording, or singing it yourself), emphasizing the beat or the rhythm or the melody or the accompaniment as the spirit moves you.

I have often thought these would be useful for adults as well.

The idea with children is to move from larger muscles and muscle groups to smaller. So you would start with marching and giant arm circles, and progress to clapping and drumming, and then to tapping on the keyboard cover and tapping feet, and finally to playing which involves fine control of the fingers (although not just the fingers).

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by JosephAC
I also wonder whether there is a set of activities that gradually build one's skills, specially in relation to rhythm building.

Percussive activities.. tapping on a desk, for example. Then, add in different sounds. (Slapping vs two-finger tapping; pads of fingers vs nails; add a ruler for a sharper sound on certain beats, etc..)

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Going out dancing is fun, or even just putting on music you love and dancing around the house (if necessary, with the blinds closed and no-one else home). One advantage of the modern world is that now one can go online to sample the music of as-yet-unknown bands that are playing around town, to find the ones likely to get you dancing.

I also got myself a pair of bongo drums. I don't play them at all properly, but find them an enjoyable enhancement for rhythm reading exercises (not sure how the neighbors feel about that though).

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Find a drum circle in your community:

http://drumcircles.net/circlelist.html

There are other online resources.

That's "large-muscle exercise", and has the added benefits of being a lot of fun, aiding musical development, and letting you make a heck of a lot of noise!

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Originally Posted by JosephAC
Hi there,As an adult beginner, I could be benefiting from some gross motors skills activities. Somewhat, learning piano is mostly fine motor development and I wonder whether you come across some gross motor activities that can contribute to adult music learning. The most common activities are: foot tapping, clapping.... I also wonder whether there is a set of activities that gradually build one's skills, specially in relation to rhythm building.
Let me know your thoughts.

This is a very interesting question you've posed. The drum circle and dancing are great suggestions in my opinion which I think strike at the heart of what you're asking. As a self-learner I've asked myself a similar question, differently framed, and still arrive at the same suggestions, lending credence to their validity.

Start with the proposition that the piano is essentially a rhythmic activity before it's a melodic of harmonic one. The piano is after all a percussion instrument. So to focus on rhythm is not misplaced. However, I frame the subject in terms of "coordination" which has a slightly different meaning than "gross motor skills" but also has lots of overlap. For me, the strength of thinking in terms of coordination comes from getting my torso and upper arms in position first, then the wrist and fingers always follow naturally and are right there to apply the perfect amount of force to the key bed at exactly the right moment.

I would add yoga and sports in addition to the two above mentioned. I don't do yoga myself - not enough time in the day - but it does utilize the "synaptic system" or whatever (I forget the exact name of the part of the nervous system yoga works and a quick search proved fruitless. Maybe someone with more experience in yoga can chime in.) Sports has a wonderful propensity to force one to be coordinated (I play badminton)and rhythmic (I love steady beat of long distance running or swimming).

Bad spellers of the world untie!
J
OP Offline
J
In my case, I am somewhat physically fit and active. I swim, run, cycle, paddle, and yoga regularly, in addition to Alexander Technique. These activities are inherently biologically rhythmic and they are our first form of familarity with rhythm.
In my observation, music rhythm is a learnt rhythm. You could be exposed to it culturally and hence develops naturally and easily . For example, in many African cultures and Brazil, just to mention a few, some people are exposed to rhythmic body movement and cultural dancing.
In my case, I need to learn to develop my innate rhythm as it is under developed. Over the past few months, I have come a long way with this development and learning but I still have a long way to go.
I love the idea of drum circle. I never knew about it. I emailed a lcoal group and I hope to join them soon.
Getting into dancing will be another distraction which I do not have the natural inclination and neither the time.
Some of the replies suggested some children activities - marching, clapping tapping,.... and some of what we do on the piano. When I wrote the original post, I was hoping to gather enough information to develop my own rhythm activities and coordination on the piano unless someone suggests a specific well developed coodination routine or activities that I can simply adapt.
Unless someone has something else to add, my take away is join a local drum circle and continue with what I know and the suggested coordination activities (clapping, tapping, marching,.... ). This week, my piano teacher showed me how to tap with both hands - RH for the top staff and LH for bottom staff. And this was definetly useful for my gross motor development of the piece being learnt.

Thanks and I welcome any further feedback.

Last edited by JosephAC; 05/03/13 03:58 PM.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission