Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2073956 - 04/30/13 06:33 AM Beethoven Op.111 mov-1
MiaoW Offline

Loc: Sichuan, China
Piano: SHIGERU KAWAI - 5
Device: SONY PCM-D50 (RECORDER) + SONY ECM-957 (MIC)
Place: Study

I'll record te 2nd movement later...hope you like this, and you're more than welcome to criticise.

https://www.box.com/s/rrirb6xwxjsnlo7on8g0

#2075175 - 05/01/13 05:43 PM Re: Beethoven Op.111 mov-1 [Re: MiaoW]
hujidong Offline

Loc: Hawaii
I love the drama!

Do you feel like that the epic chords with the arpeggios flying up to them in the beginning connect to the next crashing octave jumping chord in the beginning? It sounds a little disconnected, and you could really deliver the whole introduction as one giant overarching idea which draws away until the introduction of the fateful theme.

Same with the chords that come before the introduction dashes out. They can be distant separate chimes that spook in through the ominous trill in the left hand, however the idea of unity needs to remain present, that they are all working together towards a goal: the introduction of the theme and what that introduction will go into.

For the frantic virtuosic passages it sounds like you should look into finding maybe three or four note phrases within the larger passages. It sounds a little like flair on the side, which it can be, but the individual phrases deserve their respect and musical direction. This sonata contains so much beauty from every voice contributing.

With the rests and half note chords that slow down the pace of the piece, you have to really focus on the unity of the piece to not let the tension die. If everything is not leading toward something then where is it leading? You don't have to be obvious about where you are leading, but you need to know, so you can prepare yourself for it.

For the 'spooky' intro of the motif you had really nice polyphony. You can play with releases more to find a firmer touch that could be spooky...and also ominous! It doesn't take a quick attack to create suspense.

For the area right after that with the crazy jump with the two hands, you were super accurate. Try and connect the music and get through the technical block in your head. You wouldn't want a disjunct in the music at such a transparent spot!! Focused slow practice, (smaller and finer motions are more difficult to control than quick jerks! I like the idea of practice being for the mastery of keyboard skills to obtain the technique necessary for speaking the language of music. It is the small accents and glottal stops and pace that separates a fluent speaker of any language from a learner. Getting back on topic, I've been doing this thing that I feel has helped me improve a lot. So with the octave jump you can push down on the first octave, then try to relax as much as possible without letting the key back up any (like trying the find the threshold of strength necessary to keep the key down:efficiency of energy and movement!),and then slowly letting go of the octave while feeling control over every tiny motion that is necessary. It is to think of the movement as starting from the release onto the push of the other key. Then chain that to the next key movement, and put it all together into one work. You could try putting as much music as you can into the trill, repetitive intervals are one of the toughest mini-phrases for me to try and commit myself to. Keep that control and focus as you move slowly down an octave to hit the next chord. Then your hands will start adjusting to be knowledgeable of the keyboard, and though I hate to say it, every piece becomes a crazy technique practice, but it is all for the greater good of the music! You could try some of those out and see if they help, I really like them.

Try to think as small as you can, as if the music was one molecule, and you want to understand the working of every atom, and within that you want to understand the protons, electrons, and neutrons. And the organism is classical music! Behold! Hahaha!

Edited by hujidong (05/01/13 09:40 PM)

#2075297 - 05/01/13 10:03 PM Re: Beethoven Op.111 mov-1 [Re: MiaoW]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
You could take that atom analogy pretty far. Good invention. grin

Quark=note, proton/neutron/electron=phrase, atom=section, molecule=piece? ha

Polyphonist

#2075340 - 05/01/13 11:16 PM Re: Beethoven Op.111 mov-1 [Re: MiaoW]
hujidong Offline

Thanks for writing it all out <3

#2075622 - 05/02/13 04:07 AM Re: Beethoven Op.111 mov-1 [Re: hujidong]
MiaoW Offline

Originally Posted By: hujidong
I love the drama!

Do you feel ...

Thank you very much, hujidong.

Your criticism and practise method are meaningful.

And your metaphor is intersting.

Welcome to the forum!

Edited by MiaoW (05/02/13 04:07 AM)

#2075756 - 05/02/13 09:55 AM Re: Beethoven Op.111 mov-1 [Re: MiaoW]
hujidong Offline

Thank you smile
This is a fun community and I am looking forward to meeting all of you!

#2076274 - 05/02/13 11:10 PM Re: Beethoven Op.111 mov-1 [Re: MiaoW]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I liked this very much!! I think you do a good job with it.

One part that I think can use some fixing (or just my opinion)is the first page. The chords sound disconnected and don't really "punctuate the silence" in such a convincing manner. I'm sure it'll work out in a room with good acoustics, but I think if you have that sorted out you'll be alright in general.

Thanks a lot for posting!
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#2076293 - 05/02/13 11:22 PM Re: Beethoven Op.111 mov-1 [Re: Kuanpiano]
MiaoW Offline

Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
I liked this very much!! ...

Yep. The chords sounds shorter than they really were because of the recording device I think, and the range of dynamics is decreased.

#2076312 - 05/02/13 11:37 PM Re: Beethoven Op.111 mov-1 [Re: MiaoW]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Ahaha, which is better than my crappy, echo-y recordings. Can't wait for the second movement.
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#2078090 - 05/06/13 03:00 AM Re: Beethoven Op.111 mov-1 [Re: MiaoW]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Thank you very much for posting this. smile

I must admit, prior to listening to your recording, I've only heard this sonata performed once.. by Evgeny Kissin three days ago. So, my knowledge of it is limited.

I really only have two comments that I think would really shape this up into a dynamite performance. The first is to watch your verticals. What I mean by that is, notes that should be played together, should be played together. In some places, I think a little unevenness caused some separation.

The second comment is to let the rests rest. Lose the pedal. Otherwise the sound lingers on into the rest and it isn't silent. I think this is something Kissin did in stark contrast to your performance, and I think it worked very well. He belabored the silence by a hair, now that I have a score in front of me, but it certainly worked. (This is really an interpretive thing, though.. so obviously mess around with it and find a "tolerance" you like.)

Thanks again. I really enjoyed the listen. smile

#2078246 - 05/06/13 10:55 AM Re: Beethoven Op.111 mov-1 [Re: MiaoW]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Very good !
I really enjoyed listening to it.

My only criticism is that at places where there are runs of 16th notes there is a feeling of insecurity and that you are rushing. You might not be rushing and playing securely, but it sounds like that.

That Kawai sounds awesome and contributes to your playing as well.
Thanks for sharing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#2080662 - 05/11/13 08:27 AM Re: Beethoven Op.111 mov-1 [Re: MiaoW]
Shaylee Offline

You are excellent pianist!! I know how hard it is at some places. Your playing is so clean! Keep up the good work!

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (AndrewJCW, Art_Vandelay, alfstan, Alex1, 38 invisible), 1518 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75521 Members
42 Forums
156166 Topics
2293438 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Please help! Hoping for advice regarding Yamaha purchase
by Lady
Today at 06:22 PM
Piano Practice Technique - Only Slow?
by JoeHom
Today at 05:53 PM
Wow, early Arrau!
by Ian_G
Today at 05:02 PM
Bored kid at Cosco..
by Norbert
Today at 04:37 PM
Need help and advice please!
by Pover
Today at 04:36 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission