Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2075375 - 05/01/13 11:53 PM What other music besides Classical do you listen to?
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Other than classical, I'm a big fan of Sinatra, Zeppelin, Oscar Peterson, and Astrud Gilberto to name a few. What do you like? I mean REALLY like.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2075379 - 05/01/13 11:55 PM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Baroque and Romantic are not bad either. grin

Originally Posted By: JoelW
I'm a big Sinatra, Zeppelin, Oscar Peterson, and Astrud Gilberto to name a few.

You're a big Sinatra?

Did you forget to stick the word "fan" in there? ha

I don't know, I enjoy some jazz. Frank is okay.

Polyphonist

#2075382 - 05/01/13 11:58 PM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

Did you forget to stick the word "fan" in there? ha

I edited!

#2075447 - 05/02/13 01:13 AM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
My formative years were in the 80's, so lots of popular music from back then - The Police, Pink Floyd, Styx, Michael Jackson, REM, They Might Be Giants, Duran Duran, Men at Work, Queen, Peter Gabriel, Genesis, and of course, Elton John and Billy Joel. I also went through an electronica phase where I listened to a lot of Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Kraftwerk, Laurie Anderson, and The Art of Noise.

Also love the Beatles. In my opinion, the title of Best Album of All Time is a tie between Sgt. Pepper and Dark Side of the Moon. The most perfect song ever written is "Blackbird."

I also went through a jazz phase. All the piano greats, of course, but especially the 60's/70's bop and west coast stuff. Wynton Kelly, Herbie Hancock, Bill Evans, Tommy Flanagan. (Yes, I'm a big Miles Davis fan.) Also love Keith Jarrett and Cecil Taylor. Among present day jazz pianists, am a big fan of Bill Charlap and Alan Pasqua.

Also like interesting singer/songwriters. (My wife's influence.) Tom Waits and David Byrne are favorites. Peter Mulvey, Greg Brown, Regina Spektor, Nick Drake, etc... We also just discovered Laura Marling.

Here she is covering Nick Drake:
http://reneebuchanan.wordpress.com/2013/04/30/and-then/

(My wife's blog - a new hobby, as she has a good habit of finding and writing interesting things.)

And then there's my own hobby as occasional broadway musical director. I'm a big Sondheim fan. (Conducting "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" next week. Everybody in Eastern Iowa come check us out!)

Oh, and for me, I'm one of those snobs who thinks most music made after 1990 is a waste of time. I think Nirvana, Dave Matthews, and U2 are all overrated. There are a couple of bright spots, though. I think some hip hop artists are very good - Jay Z (The Black Album was a fascinating experiment), and Eminem and Busta Rhymes (both of whom have a better sense of phrasing and rhythmic nuance than most classical performers.) I also like Radiohead (mostly Pablo Honey, OK Computer and some of Kid A - but some of Kid A and the more recent stuff, including Yorke's solo efforts, are a bit too abstract for my tastes.)

I'm sure I've left some stuff out, but that's what I can come up with off the top of my head for now.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2075467 - 05/02/13 01:29 AM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: Kreisler]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: Kreisler

I'm a big Sondheim fan. (Conducting "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" next week.

Fabulous musical. I also love 'Company', 'Follies', 'A Little Night Music' and 'Pacific Overtures'.

I never got much into 'Sweeney Todd' (even saw it once), but maybe someday.

#2075494 - 05/02/13 01:46 AM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: Kreisler]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kreisler
My formative years were in the 80's, so lots of popular music from back then - The Police, Pink Floyd, Styx, Michael Jackson, REM, They Might Be Giants, Duran Duran, Men at Work, Queen, Peter Gabriel, Genesis, and of course, Elton John and Billy Joel. I also went through an electronica phase where I listened to a lot of Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Kraftwerk, Laurie Anderson, and The Art of Noise.

Also love the Beatles. In my opinion, the title of Best Album of All Time is a tie between Sgt. Pepper and Dark Side of the Moon. The most perfect song ever written is "Blackbird."

I also went through a jazz phase. All the piano greats, of course, but especially the 60's/70's bop and west coast stuff. Wynton Kelly, Herbie Hancock, Bill Evans, Tommy Flanagan. (Yes, I'm a big Miles Davis fan.) Also love Keith Jarrett and Cecil Taylor. Among present day jazz pianists, am a big fan of Bill Charlap and Alan Pasqua.

Also like interesting singer/songwriters. (My wife's influence.) Tom Waits and David Byrne are favorites. Peter Mulvey, Greg Brown, Regina Spektor, Nick Drake, etc... We also just discovered Laura Marling.

Here she is covering Nick Drake:
http://reneebuchanan.wordpress.com/2013/04/30/and-then/

(My wife's blog - a new hobby, as she has a good habit of finding and writing interesting things.)

And then there's my own hobby as occasional broadway musical director. I'm a big Sondheim fan. (Conducting "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" next week. Everybody in Eastern Iowa come check us out!)

Oh, and for me, I'm one of those snobs who thinks most music made after 1990 is a waste of time. I think Nirvana, Dave Matthews, and U2 are all overrated. There are a couple of bright spots, though. I think some hip hop artists are very good - Jay Z (The Black Album was a fascinating experiment), and Eminem and Busta Rhymes (both of whom have a better sense of phrasing and rhythmic nuance than most classical performers.) I also like Radiohead (mostly Pablo Honey, OK Computer and some of Kid A - but some of Kid A and the more recent stuff, including Yorke's solo efforts, are a bit too abstract for my tastes.)

I'm sure I've left some stuff out, but that's what I can come up with off the top of my head for now.

Wow this is an awesome post.

I too am one of those 'post 90s sucks' snobs, but I'm also in agreement with what you said about Eminem. I've never heard Busta Rhymes so I won't comment on that. I also think The Beatles and Queen have a lot of great stuff.

#2075628 - 05/02/13 04:23 AM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Among others:

Jean-Jacques Goldman
Jean Michel Jarre
Bangles
Wise Guys

and many more...

Edited by patH (05/02/13 10:28 AM)

#2075636 - 05/02/13 04:59 AM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
Nikolas Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
I do like Queen, Pink Floyd, Billy Joel from the older generation. Then I'm all about the 90s and beyond (the opposite of Kreisler and Joel then).

Radiohead (forogt the bends there Jason...)
Eels
dEUS
KoRn
Marilyn Manson
NIN
muse also have something for me...

Then it's the obscure computer game soundtracks from composers I've met and I enjoy their works, etc.

I loved JMJ until 'waiting for Cousto (however his name is spelled anyhow)'. After that he failed to capture my imagination and I moved on to other things.

#2075640 - 05/02/13 05:30 AM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I love some English folk songs, when they are sung very simply: this lady's voice is quite amazing, for example - http://youtu.be/EzQDzeDVeFE. Just her accompanying herself on the piano.

I grew up with pop (Abba, Simon & Garfunkel, Bee Gees, The Beatles etc), but these days I can take it or leave it. I prefer to leave most of the modern pop stuff, which, IMO, tries to make up for lack of melodic and harmonic appeal by intricate and overblown 'layering', or whatever they're called. When with non-classical friends (as often on long expeditions etc), I have no qualms about making the most of any opportunity to make music whenever I come across a piano (in any, or no, condition grin) by vamping accompaniments to pop songs, so that everyone can join in. After all, I can't expect people to to start singing Die Forelle when I play the opening bars, as they'd have done in Schubert's time.... wink

I also love 'world music' from some parts of the world - tango from the likes of Astor Piazzolla is, of course, mainstream these days, with everyone from Daniel Barenboim and Martha Argerich as well as Gidon Kremer, Yo Yo Ma and Emanuel Ax dabbling in. As well as bluegrass and other folk Americana.

The only jazz I'd listen to is solo piano - after an unfortunate attendance at Ronnie Scotts' in London, where I heard a trio and a quintet where the drummer (and trumpeter) seems intent on blowing the audience's eardrums out, even when the piano is carrying the tune, but is barely audible. Brad Mehldau (who recently wrote a piece for Kirill Gershstein, which he played in his London concert last month), Giorgio Gaslini, Leszek Mozdzar, Irene Schweizer, and even Keith Jarrett (in small doses) are all good.

#2075661 - 05/02/13 07:04 AM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Recently, listened to this -

and this -

and this -

#2075672 - 05/02/13 07:26 AM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Kansas, ELP, Yes, NIN, the Police, Queen, Genesis, the Beatles, Tom Jones, Tony Bennett, Toto, Harry Connick Jr., the Bobs.

No country
No hip hop
No Islamey

#2075705 - 05/02/13 08:41 AM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
Nikolas Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe

Edited by Nikolas (05/02/13 08:43 AM)

#2075745 - 05/02/13 09:45 AM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Other than classical, I listen to classical.

Deborah

#2075770 - 05/02/13 10:25 AM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Captain Beefheart
Nina Simone, a most excellent pianist
Ella Fitzgerald
Louis Armstrong
Don Preston

#2075771 - 05/02/13 10:28 AM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: gooddog]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
Although I am an admitted child of the sixties, basically, rock bores me. EXCEPT that I am a Capt. Beefheart fan.

Are there any later rock bands that are half as innovative? Seriously, I've heard a few Radiohead tracks, and everyone says they're so far out, but compared to Beefheart? Hardly. Big deal...a strange harmonic turn here and there, an extra beat added. Ha.

But yes, tell me something as interesting and I'm all ears.

Love brilliant free jazz. "Contemporary classical" is my meat and potatoes, but even there, I'm getting pickier and pickier. smile

www.josephkubera.com

#2075789 - 05/02/13 10:53 AM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Rush!!

#2075927 - 05/02/13 02:18 PM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: RealPlayer]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Originally Posted By: RealPlayer
Although I am an admitted child of the sixties, basically, rock bores me. EXCEPT that I am a Capt. Beefheart fan.

Are there any later rock bands that are half as innovative? Seriously, I've heard a few Radiohead tracks, and everyone says they're so far out, but compared to Beefheart? Hardly. Big deal...a strange harmonic turn here and there, an extra beat added. Ha.

Same with Dreamtheater. They can do more complicated stuff live than most can in a studio with a thousand hours of editing.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2075930 - 05/02/13 02:20 PM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
Hank Drake Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
*Movie soundtracks - particularly Bernard Herrmann
*Scott Engel/Walker
*fast techno/house when I'm on the elliptical
*some pop from the late '60s to the early '90s.

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell

#2075932 - 05/02/13 02:22 PM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Salt Lake City
Was listening to some live Mr. Bungle and Rush last night--amazing musicians.

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/

#2075937 - 05/02/13 02:27 PM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Thracozaag, I'm glad there's another Rush fan in the house. smile I realize we are from different generations, but my father took me, my brother, and some friends to see Rush in Louisville back in 2011, and even though they're a little older, they rocked the house. I actually have every single studio album of theirs (over 20!!) I became a fan of Rush in middle school.

Fun fact: In a former life, Orange Soda King had no intentions of becoming a classical pianist, but instead, wanted to be a rock/metal guitarist in a band.

#2075938 - 05/02/13 02:31 PM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Salt Lake City
I heard Rush back in 1990 (after being introduced to them by a fellow Curtis student), with another amazing band, Primus that opened up for them.
Can you believe they're NOT in the Rock and Roll HOF? Good friend of mine at the 'yard is also a terrific metal guitarist--every time we get together, we have a metal-fest, along with playing Liszt and what-not for each other:

http://kimballgallagher.com/

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/

#2075950 - 05/02/13 02:46 PM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

#2075956 - 05/02/13 02:50 PM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
Old Man Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Not much these days. But I'm a huge fan of late 60s hard rock: Hendrix, Joplin (especially the early days with Big Brother and the Holding Co.), Cream, The Who, Johnny Winter, and Led Zeppelin (mostly their 1st two albums.) I was also a big Beatles fan, and some of the Stones. But IMHO, the true genius of the 60s' remains Bob Dylan. I'm also a big fan of that other songwriter-whose-words-I-hear-but-don't-understand, Leonard Cohen.

Later in life (in my late 40s, early 50s), I developed a strange, but wonderful attachment to Argentine tango. Collected quite a few CDs, and saw a superb show in New York called "Tango Argentino", with a wonderful array of musicians. Although I enjoy Piazzola, I much prefer more traditional tango music (big band, sometimes called "orchesta typica"), like Osvaldo Pugliese and Anibal Troilo. My favorite tango ensemble is piano, violin and bandoneon, and once I've conquered the piano (shouldn't be too much longer), I would love to learn bandoneon. laugh

#2075980 - 05/02/13 03:16 PM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
quodlibet Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Rufus Wainwright
Nick Drake
Nina Simone
Johnny Cash (he's the man!)
Leonard Cohen (saw him in concert recently...AMAZING)
The Long Winters (a local band)
Fleet Foxes

I do have a nostalgic attachment to early U2, R.E.M., Talking Heads, The Clash, all of which takes me back to high school and college. And Pearl Jam, but that was more in my post-college days.

#2076243 - 05/02/13 10:26 PM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
woodog Offline

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
Bela Fleck and all his peeps
Edgar Meyer
Joshua Bell
Victor Wooten
John Cowan
Sam Bush (Bowling Green Boy!)

Hear one side of Bela Fleck (the banjo guy) here ... so fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZvCgfC7QTY

always loved the Grateful Dead, can't help myself.

many years eating pieces of paper and playing all night long with a crazy group of folks :-)

I also dig Tom Waits
Leonard Cohen
lotsa other folks

These days a lot of times it's just the music in my head, echoes and permutations of everything I've ever heard... I think.

Forrest

Edited by woodog (05/02/13 10:27 PM)

--------------------
current studies:
Debussy: Suite Bergamasque, Prelude & Menuet
Beethoven Op. 78
Bach WTC 1, C# Major (#3)

#2076634 - 05/03/13 12:39 PM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
Organist Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
None. It's all rubbish.

#2076639 - 05/03/13 12:48 PM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: Organist]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Organist
None. It's all rubbish.

Lovely first post.

#2076783 - 05/03/13 05:42 PM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
I love Meshuggah and Pink Martini

#2076838 - 05/03/13 08:16 PM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
mermilylumpkin Offline

I'm pretty ravenous music wise and love lots of things regardless of the "quality." My biggest music phases were probably Beatles (peaked ages 11-15), classic rock like Clapton and Crosby Stills and Nash and stuff that was nerdy to listen to at the time (12 - 16ish), strange "High Fidelity" inspired stuff like Spiritualized and Brian Eno (15 - 24ish), Tori Amos (14-19ish), little bit of jazz (18-19ish), soul music (interspersed), death metal by way of a friend who was into Opeth (24ish), hip hop (interspersed but especially mid twenties), general indie buffet (Beach House etc) 15 - 29ish, Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones classic rock revival period (27 - 29ish). And some other stuff that is not really categorizable.

But then I can spend two hours on Youtube listening to old Justin Timberlake and feel not the least bit guilty for my vulgar taste. I love it all.

I think actually one of the reasons I sort of went hog wild on piano music is I felt like most of the stones were already overturned in terms of modern music I like, that I'd already had my first listen and first obsession with all of these different artists and that I was running out of potential things to really love musically that were still new and un-listened to. When I was about 12 I cried when I really realized John Lennon was dead because it seemed to indicate all the great music of his I was coming to love was finite somehow. I worry about that sometimes these days, that there will be an end to new piano music I discover. I try to be mindful that I can only truly discover Waldstein sonata once for the very first time and I try to treasure the experience of first hearing something wonderful.

#2076899 - 05/03/13 10:47 PM Re: What other music besides Classical do you listen to? [Re: JoelW]
Gavbrown Offline

I like seeing all these great prog bands mentioned, and probably agree that the best years stopped by the 90s. Listening to Rush Permanent Waves lately (1980). Full of great songs, time changes, virtuosic playing, and some of the best distortion guitar I can think of (a lost art). Although I have classical stuff in my collection, I never seem to have an interest in putting it on. Jazz sometimes (it's a great party music because it's not too loud).

Edited by Gavbrown (05/03/13 10:48 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (alex-kid, 36251, 48 invisible), 1539 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153507 Topics
2249547 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner adult book to read AWAY from the piano?
by What?
Today at 07:46 PM
Sharing custom patches for Ravenscroft?
by Tonio
Today at 07:40 PM
Mozart K310 fingering
by Morodiene
Today at 07:11 PM
1952 Bechstein Grand Piano - family needs appraisal
by feigede
Today at 05:43 PM
Ruben Schoutrop - Nocturne Op. 55 No. 1 in F Minor
by Ruben1
Today at 05:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission