Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
75 registered (AZNpiano, Almaviva, AmateurBob, Anticlock, 22 invisible), 1155 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2075449 - 05/02/13 01:14 AM tune in at noon PDT (3 pm EDT) for a discussion about tuning
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

you can hear piano technician and philosopher anthony wright and i discuss resonance and pianos and possibly some rather esoteric ideas on his radio show "attunement."

it will be broadcast tomorrow, may 2, at noon PDT, and you can listen in online at this link:

http://kwmr.org/show/105

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2075523 - 05/02/13 02:03 AM Re: tune in at noon PDT (3 pm EDT) for a discussion about tuning [Re: piqué]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
If it's anything like the topics discussed in your book, it should be very interesting... just send myself a calendar reminder for it. Thanks for letting us know.

#2075537 - 05/02/13 02:09 AM Re: tune in at noon PDT (3 pm EDT) for a discussion about tuning [Re: piqué]
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

hey 4evr, you should actually be able to listen in on your radio, as this is on west marin community radio station KWMR. (i'm surmising from your avatar that you live in the bay area?)

now in paperback:

#2075619 - 05/02/13 03:53 AM Re: tune in at noon PDT (3 pm EDT) for a discussion about tuning [Re: piqué]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yup, I'm in the Bay Area. They are only 13 miles north of San Francisco, and you would think that I could receive them, but no. There are a lot of stations in a small area competing with the signal, and using the same frequency also happens to be KDFC, the Bay Area's classical music station, and KCRH, a public radio station in the East Bay. I will tune in like everyone else through the Internet. Looking forward to it.

#2075683 - 05/02/13 07:49 AM Re: tune in at noon PDT (3 pm EDT) for a discussion about tuning [Re: piqué]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Sounds interesting.

After tuning my own pianos for about 5 years now, (in the very early stages of the learning curve, mind you) I decided to ask Sally Phillips to tune my C7 and do some hammer shaping and regulation. Not that my meager tunings were bad, I actually thought they were pretty good, compared to being out of tune, but I wanted to explore new horizons of tuning quality. Sally’s tuning just blew me away! It was substantially superior to my own tunings.

I told Sally that the bar had been raised quite a bit and that I hoped at some point my tunings would be half as good as hers.

So, I have a renewed respect for professional tuners/techs at the top level of their craft.

Wow, my piano sounds good; and, it’s holding up well to my hard boogie poundings!! smile

Rick

#2075892 - 05/02/13 01:01 PM Re: tune in at noon PDT (3 pm EDT) for a discussion about tuning [Re: Rickster]
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

rick, i've been told that it takes just as much practice and talent to become a great tuner as it does to become a great pianist.

my respect for technicians is boundless, all the moreso because they seldom have the spotlight like pianists do.

only two more hours until the broadcast. i frankly do NOT remember anything about what i said, but i do remember it was a pretty esoteric conversation, one that fostered ongoing discussions with anthony by telephone in the ensuing months.

so, i'll be interested myself to see what we said!

now in paperback:

#2075904 - 05/02/13 01:19 PM Re: tune in at noon PDT (3 pm EDT) for a discussion about tuning [Re: piqué]
Rickster Offline

Originally Posted By: pique'
so, i'll be interested myself to see what we said!

Well, Pique’, the most interesting part of being a celebrity is watching yourself on TV or listening to yourself on the radio or the net and thinking, wow, they are great!! smile

Nothing wrong with a healthy dose of high self esteem…

I plan to watch/listen to your broadcast if it is where I can!

Rick

#2075921 - 05/02/13 01:52 PM Re: tune in at noon PDT (3 pm EDT) for a discussion about tuning [Re: Rickster]
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Well, Pique’, the most interesting part of being a celebrity is watching yourself on TV or listening to yourself on the radio or the net and thinking, wow, they are great!! smile

do you say this from personal experience, rickster? because my reaction is usually a twinge of embarrassment.

now in paperback:

#2075933 - 05/02/13 02:22 PM Re: tune in at noon PDT (3 pm EDT) for a discussion about tuning [Re: piqué]
Rickster Offline

Originally Posted By: pique"
do you say this from personal experience, rickster? because my reaction is usually a twinge of embarrassment.

When I used the word celebrity, I was certainly thinking about you, Pique”! smile

However, I admire your humility, and I’m sure you do quite well at anything you do. You are certainly a successful writer and author.

Rick

#2075994 - 05/02/13 03:37 PM Re: tune in at noon PDT (3 pm EDT) for a discussion about tuning [Re: piqué]
Rickster Offline

Pique’, I was going to send you a PM to share my thoughts on your radio interview, but your PM box is full.

I listened to your radio interview and I enjoyed it very much! You are very articulate, have a pleasant voice, and your laughter is contagious!

I enjoyed hearing about your dad, and his career as a musician, and how he would ask you for your advice about his music at the tender age of 6… and, he took your advice seriously.

I’m glad you were able to be a “clear channel” in order to write and share your experiences with your readers. smile

Fantastic job with the interview.

Rick

#2076009 - 05/02/13 04:03 PM Re: tune in at noon PDT (3 pm EDT) for a discussion about tuning [Re: piqué]
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

thanks, rick. i never got to hear it before myself, because i was on the book tour at the time. i think it came out pretty well, and i'm glad i got a plug in there for pianoworld.com smile

now in paperback:

#2076010 - 05/02/13 04:05 PM Re: tune in at noon PDT (3 pm EDT) for a discussion about tuning [Re: piqué]
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

oh, and did you not hear the multiple remarks about how to contact me on the show? wink

go to www.grandobsession.com and use the contact form.

now in paperback:

#2076969 - 05/04/13 02:20 AM Re: tune in at noon PDT (3 pm EDT) for a discussion about tuning [Re: piqué]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for letting us know about the interesting broadcast. I read your book on a business flight, and it kind of ruined the trip because I only finish half the book on the plane, and I had a hard focusing on business on the ground, and kept wanting to get back to the hotel room to finish the book!

One thing that I have been curious is all the cost of having all those technicians travel to you spending all that much time. The bill must have been scary. How did you cope with it? Your final solution... is it possible to apply it to any brand of piano or was the magic only present on your brand or perhaps your specific piano?

#2084358 - 05/17/13 06:32 PM Re: tune in at noon PDT (3 pm EDT) for a discussion about tuning [Re: piqué]
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

hi 4ever,

i like stories like yours about how you couldn't stop thinking about the book. smile thanks.

for some reason, lots of people think i spent a lot of money on piano technicians. i am mystified by this. the book clearly states what each circumstance meant in terms of what i had to spend.

some visits i did pay for myself, but they were not exorbitant or i couldn't have afforded them. some visits were paid for by both me and my piano dealer. some were technicians who wanted to try their hand at fixing the piano. it was a bit like "sleeping beauty" around here, with techs showing up to see if they were the prince with the magical kiss to awaken her. one practically forced his way into the house. i insisted on paying him, but he said he didn't expect to be paid, he just wanted to play the piano and work on it.

techs are a fascinating bunch. they love to be the hero. and many of them told me that having a client who really understands their passion and who hears what they hear is rare enough that they wanted to be a part of the solution.

now in paperback:

#2084385 - 05/17/13 07:24 PM Re: tune in at noon PDT (3 pm EDT) for a discussion about tuning [Re: piqué]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Amazing....

#2084406 - 05/17/13 08:08 PM Re: tune in at noon PDT (3 pm EDT) for a discussion about tuning [Re: Rickster]
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Rickster
Sounds interesting.
After tuning my own pianos for about 5 years now, (in the very early stages of the learning curve, mind you) I decided to ask Sally Phillips to tune my C7 and do some hammer shaping and regulation. Not that my meager tunings were bad, I actually thought they were pretty good, compared to being out of tune, but I wanted to explore new horizons of tuning quality. Sally’s tuning just blew me away! It was substantially superior to my own tunings.

Greetings,
Well of course you were blown away. Sally is a Jedi Knight of the technicians world. What you are hearing is the teaching of Bill Garlick and David Betts seasoned by 37 years of experience. Sally and I (and the famous Larry Fine) were lucky to have gone to the North Bennett Street School, (1975-76), and none of us were at the top of the class, (that would be Tom Malone,who died some years back). There are others that were in that class whose tunings would blow most people away, too!.
I have never thought of myself as "the world's best tuner" because I have heard tunings with which I could find no fault,(Virgil Smith and Jim Coleman come to mind), and I have never done a tuning that I couldn't find something that wasn't perfect.. It may have been because we were so green, i.e., just learning how difficult is was to learn the craft when we heard one of the ultimate tuner's work. But in any case, I know I am not the ultimate tuner, but do well enough to impress professional musicians.
The short message for piano owners is this. A good technician will tell you what to look for in a tuning,( or a regulation, or a rebuild), and they will encourage critique. The quack, and this trade is full of them, will never shine a spotlight on their work, itself.
Sally will scare you with what she knows about pianos! You are lucky to have her.
Regards,

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
Yesterday at 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
Yesterday at 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
Yesterday at 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
Yesterday at 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160047 Topics
2350334 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission