Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
123 registered (ando, accordeur, AndyJoe, 36251, angga888, 35 invisible), 1540 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2075700 - 05/02/13 08:37 AM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: pianoloverus]
Hank Drake Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Welcome Tom Barrister. No frowning here!

This website provides a fairly comprehensive list of Horowitz recordings, issued and not.

Horowitz did read through Beethoven's Op. 31, No 3 at Columbia's 30th Street studio at one session in 1962. AFAIK, he never recorded Op. 81a and didn't play it in public after the early 1930s.

http://vladimirhorowitz.info/

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2075719 - 05/02/13 09:00 AM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: Polyphonist]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
This thread is 4 years old.

And perfectly acceptable to resurrect, in light of a recent discussion of a "Horowitz" performance of Scarbo on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/

#2075721 - 05/02/13 09:03 AM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: pianoloverus]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
All my threads are timeless.

Edited by pianoloverus (05/02/13 12:40 PM)

#2075768 - 05/02/13 10:17 AM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: pianoloverus]
Schubertslieder Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Hello and welcome.

This is such a wonderful thread so thank you for bringing it back. I really enjoyed reading it.

Please feel free to bring old threads back to life as some threads are "timeless" in my view.

Best.

#2075782 - 05/02/13 10:48 AM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: pianoloverus]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Note that it's possible to read a thread without resurrecting it...

Some disagree. I think it clutters the forum, and you're not really communicating with the people that started the thread. What would the forum be like if we resurrected every old thread we saw to add "new information"? wink

Polyphonist

#2075787 - 05/02/13 10:51 AM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: Polyphonist]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Some disagree. I think it clutters the forum, and you're not really communicating with the people that started the thread. What would the forum be like if we resurrected every old thread we saw to add "new information"? wink

One of the purposes of having a forum in the first place? Furthering discussion?

#2075788 - 05/02/13 10:52 AM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: Thracozaag]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Thracozaag

One of the purposes of having a forum in the first place? Furthering discussion?

Why don't you do it then? wink

Polyphonist

#2075796 - 05/02/13 10:56 AM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: Polyphonist]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think that's what some of the other posters have actually been doing since the thread got revived.

#2075797 - 05/02/13 10:57 AM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: Thracozaag]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I think that's what some of the other posters have actually been doing since the thread got revived.

No, I meant resurrect threads, not further discussion. Wasn't intending to insult you. ha Sorry about that.

Polyphonist

#2075807 - 05/02/13 11:04 AM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: Polyphonist]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No worries; some of those EMI Beethoven sonatas of Cortot I had mentioned previously were actually released recently on the box set.

#2075878 - 05/02/13 12:22 PM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: Polyphonist]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think it clutters the forum, and you're not really communicating with the people that started the thread.

Well, the person who "started the thread" actually posted just prior to you, so he seems to be very much alive and kicking. yippie And what's more, he seemed not to be bothered in the slightest by the resurrection of his "timeless" thread.

What would the forum be like if we resurrected every old thread we saw to add "new information"? wink

Gee, I dunno, uh. . . more interesting??? grin

Old threads, even if they contain comments from members who are no longer active, can serve as a catalyst for new ideas and opinions from current members on the same topic. Yes, if we were hurling ad hominems at people who are no longer active, that would certainly be wrong and no one would condone that. But to read what they wrote and use their comments as a springboard for further discussion seems in perfect keeping with the purpose of this forum.

And what about all the "frowns" that are dispensed when someone starts a new thread?? Invariably someone will point out that the topic is not new, has been thoroughly discussed, case closed, and that the OP should content himself with reading the "old threads". What's a body to do??

Some criteria from the moderators on what is considered "frownable" etiquette would be helpful.

In the meantime, Tom, welcome to our dysfunctional family - frowns included! smile

#2075896 - 05/02/13 01:08 PM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: Old Man]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Old Man
....Some criteria from the moderators on what is considered "frownable" etiquette would be helpful....

Not really. grin

At the worst (from the standpoint of the "it's fine" people), moderators would say it should be avoided -- and then quite a few of us would explain why it's not just OK but good, we'd explain how trying to snuff it would be a many-fold loss to the site, we'd bat it around for a while, and after all that, we'd wind up with keeping it how it is. Whatever that is.

So, that would be fine. But so is this. smile

#2075899 - 05/02/13 01:14 PM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: pianoloverus]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

And to get back to the original topic somewhat, I've heard a very strong rumour that ALL the Carnegie Hall concerts Horowitz had taped in the 40's-50's will be released, sooner rather than later.

#2075905 - 05/02/13 01:20 PM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: Thracozaag]
Mark_C Offline

And to get back to the original topic somewhat, I've heard a very strong rumour that ALL the Carnegie Hall concerts Horowitz had taped in the 40's-50's will be released, sooner rather than later.

Wow! I look forward eagerly. smile

I'll also find it interesting to see how well it sells. Not too long ago, it would have been guaranteed to fly off the shelves, but as I said in another thread, it seems fewer and fewer people think of him as such a huge figure. The sales of such a release might tell a story. So, I'll be looking a little at those sales rankings on Amazon and wherever. And of course we'll also know something from how much buzz it gets -- how many reviews and other publicity we see, and how much it gets talked about.

#2075912 - 05/02/13 01:31 PM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: Mark_C]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I agree Mark, was also dismayed to see how poor the sales were, and I hope it doesn't deter them from releasing all the performances.

#2075917 - 05/02/13 01:40 PM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: Mark_C]
vlhorowitz Offline

If that's the case, we can only hope that the April 12, 1940 concert was recorded - Beethoven Op. 31 No. 3, Scarbo, Orage, Feux-follets, etc. After this, his programming seems to settle down...

#2075919 - 05/02/13 01:45 PM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: Thracozaag]
Mark_C Offline

I agree Mark, was also dismayed to see how poor the sales were, and I hope it doesn't deter them from releasing all the performances.

I guess you mean the most recent releases didn't do well? I didn't know anything about that. But it seems this would be bigger and more important than any Horowitz releases in a very long time, so maybe it's a different story. The last Horowitz release I know of that seemed semi-big was the "LIVE-live" recording of the 1965 "historic return" concert. (As opposed to the semi-fraudulent live recording that came out at the time.) grin
And this would be much bigger than that.

#2075969 - 05/02/13 03:05 PM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: pianoloverus]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Here's what I have to say regarding the resurrection issue.

1) There are many respected individuals here who disapprove of it.

2) There are many respected individuals here who support it.

3) There are many respected individuals here who have never demonstrated an opinion on the matter.

4) Therefore, discussion of whether or not it should be permitted, allowed, frowned upon, etc, is useless.

5) When I see a resurrected thread, I will point it out.

6) It's stupid to start an argument about it every time someone brings it up.

7) Therefore, we should consider the matter resolved (though it isn't really grin) and discontinue discussion of it.

Polyphonist

#2075992 - 05/02/13 03:33 PM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: pianoloverus]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Resurrection of threads is IMO a case-by-case scenario where LARGELY is not a good move, but I think in this specific case, it didn't kill anything or anyone. Polyphonist, thank you for telling the person about resurrecting old threads, because it is often not a good thing to do. But I do personally think it was okay in this case. smile

I would love to hear those Horowitz recordings. I'm not the biggest H. fan, but that doesn't mean I dislike him in the slightest... He was a legend. I just don't know him very well, and I often listen to more traditional/conventional pianists. I'll explore him more. smile

#2076015 - 05/02/13 04:14 PM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: pianoloverus]
pianoloverus Online   content

I think any of my threads can be resurrected since they are all beyond fascinating. Not anyone else's however and especially not
Click to reveal..
-----------

Edited by pianoloverus (05/02/13 04:17 PM)

#2076093 - 05/02/13 06:35 PM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: Thracozaag]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area

Hank Drake posted a link in another thread concerning this. I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is!
Horowitz recording

Edited by Damon (05/02/13 06:44 PM)
Edit Reason: link

#2076112 - 05/02/13 07:13 PM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: pianoloverus]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I think any of my threads can be resurrected since they are all beyond fascinating. Not anyone else's however and especially not
Click to reveal..
-----------

For some reason, I think I could actually fill in a few of those blanks. cool

#2076154 - 05/02/13 08:36 PM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: Damon]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Damon

Hank Drake posted a link in another thread concerning this. I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is!
Horowitz recording

Joke? grin

A coupla things:

-- That's not about that.

-- Re what it is about, get a load of how they put it:

"Life at Carnegie Hall" ha

#2076208 - 05/02/13 09:50 PM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: Damon]
Hank Drake Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Originally Posted By: Damon

Here it is!
Horowitz recording

Unfortunately, it's not ALL of the 40s-50s recordings. Three of the famous "Yale" concerts, the complete March 5 & April 23, 1951, unedited versions of the 1953, 1966-1968 recitals, two from 1975 (one of which was issued as Horowitz Rediscovered).

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell

#2076366 - 05/03/13 12:42 AM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: pianoloverus]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Does it include the "Yale" Scarbo recording I found on YouTube? Just kidding, it's a fake wink

#2076458 - 05/03/13 07:33 AM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: pianoloverus]
Schubertslieder Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Click to reveal..
-----------

I agree. But, when can I read what is under there? grin

#2125356 - 07/30/13 03:00 PM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: Polyphonist]
TomBarrister Offline

After I acknowledge that I knew that the thread was old....

Originally Posted By: TomBarrister
I know this is a very old thread.

Horowitz never authorized recordings of either Les Adieux or Op. 31, no. 3 by Beethoven.

You feel some compulsion to tell the world:

This thread is 4 years old.

And then let us all know that I've reached my limit for mistakes:

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
C'mon, be nice to new members! smile

I was making sure he knew it was frowned upon (and yes Mark, it is), so he'd know not to do it again. Every new member gets one chance to make a mistake like that. grin

Now, since you seem to be the boss around here, perhaps you can explain to me how to handle this situation: Somebody arrives at this thread after an internet search to find out if Horowitz ever did a recording of Schumann's Symphonic Etudes. That person sees that the original poster also wanted to know if Horowitz also recorded "Les Adieux," and he/she knows the answer to that. That person would have five basic options:

1) Do nothing and move on.

2) Reply to the original poster in a private message.

3) Start a brand new thread stating that Horowitz never authorized a recording of Les Adieux.

4) Reply in the thread that Horowitz never authorized a recording of Les Adieux.

5) Look for a newer thread or another site on which to post the information.

Numbers 1 and 2 aren't going to help people who do an internet search in the future to see if Horowitz ever recorded "Les Adieux." Number 3 is going to appear random, unless the old thread is referenced, and it's going to create another thread anyway. Number 5 is a lot of work that isn't necessary, since the current thread was probably the first hit that offered a chance to reply to that question and would probably be one of the first hits that those who asked the same question in the future would arrive at. The logical move is to choose number 4.

Back on topic (which is the reason I came back), I have since found out that Horowitz's impromptu performance of the last movement of "Les Adieux," was recorded, but it's buried away somewhere with countless other such recordings, and the chances of it ever surfacing are remote.

Now look what I did. I resurrected a thread that's almost three months old. I just made another mistake, and since I've read that I only get one, and since I've now made two, I'm out of mistakes here and can't post anymore. Oh well.

#2125361 - 07/30/13 03:09 PM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: TomBarrister]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Now look what I did. I resurrected a thread that's almost three months old. I just made another mistake, and since I've read that I only get one, and since I've now made two, I'm out of mistakes here and can't post anymore. Oh well.

Actually - if you make another mistake you'll qualify for lifetime membership on Piano World. After three - we stop counting and just consider you one of us !! Welcome to the club !! thumb

#2125389 - 07/30/13 03:55 PM Re: Did Horowitz ever record these? [Re: carey]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: carey

Actually - if you make another mistake you'll qualify for lifetime membership on Piano World. After three - we stop counting and just consider you one of us !! Welcome to the club !! thumb

Polyphonist is a paid informer, whose eagle eyes can spot a rising zombie a mile off. After he's finished pummeling you with "Tsk, tsk!" you are free to either: 1). Cry like a baby and leave; or 2). Continue posting. If you choose No. 2, you are considered seasoned, hardened, battle-ready, capable of withstanding the slings and arrows of the outrageous "others", who will quickly make Polyphonist seem like your pet lamb.

So, as carey, said, welcome to the club! thumb

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Veritune and rescaling
by kennyz
Today at 09:29 AM
Never thought it would end up at that instrument ...
by fatast
Today at 05:45 AM
Is Yelp reliable for evaluating piano stores?
by Le Chiffre
Today at 02:08 AM
Guide to Teaching
by Arghhh
Today at 12:39 AM
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
Yesterday at 10:24 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160033 Topics
2350135 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission