Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
122 registered (Anita Potter, 36251, accordeur, ando, 34 invisible), 1551 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2076109 - 05/02/13 07:09 PM What defines "sublime" music?
TrueMusic Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
I've been thinking lately that I want to write something more sublime and laid back. Most of what I write tends to be a bit more in your face, and I've got a desire to write something that's opposite of that. I just finished a piano piece with influences of Liszt with a middle section that's sort of Jazz 20th century mix, but it certainly is in your face with a number of sections using big and loud chords and fast rhythms. [the piece is predominantly in 2/2, is 211 measures, and only 7:50 minutes. Fairly fast paced]

But, that's not the point of the thread.
What, in your mind, defines sublime music, and what do you think are the best examples of it?

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2076162 - 05/02/13 08:49 PM Re: What defines "sublime" music? [Re: TrueMusic]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Definition: Demonstrating sublimity. ha

It can't be defined.

Examples - well, let's see now, how about the last movement of Beethoven 111, and the 33rd Diabelli Variation (both last parts of monumental works, also both in C major laugh ), and the first movement of his 27/2, and the Largo of Chopin's Opus 58 (of course), and parts of his 4th Ballade, and most of the Nocturnes, and...okay, I'll stop. I could list several pages full of these. ha

Polyphonist

#2076186 - 05/02/13 09:20 PM Re: What defines "sublime" music? [Re: Polyphonist]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
I'm sure many will disagree with me, but the first song that comes to mind is What Child is This. In particular, a violin solo from Lindsay Stirling. It is simple, piercing, the melody haunts me. The tone seems so pure, even with low quality audio.

I prefer live music. I attended a live performance of Claire du Lune, and its spare quality performed well gets close. For recorded piano music, maybe something like Moonlight Sonata has a haunting quality. I'm sure others will cite their favorites.

If a person writes for instruments other than piano, I suggest trying for a simple melody on a flute, or violin. Performed well, if the melody is good, it will get close to sublime.

The downside of simple melodies, is all the great ones in major keys have mostly already been written. In this day and age, virtually every three to 12 to xxx note motif has been done by some person some where.

A person that performs live knows if the audience is getting it or not. If not, they might be shuffling, chatting, even leaving. If the music is just right, the room will pay attention and the music will hold them for a moment in time.

#2078672 - 05/07/13 06:37 AM Re: What defines "sublime" music? [Re: TrueMusic]
Medium Heights Offline

Loc: Banned
I think sublime is a manifestation of genius or our frail connection with something greater than ourselves. I think we all have the potential to express this but it might not come when we are looking for it, and some of us (myself for example) might be able to express it only once or twice per life-time.

I think it can be simple and very laid-back, but it can also be something like a Wagnerian climax or the climax of a Bach fugue. It's a rather vague word, to my mind.

#2083325 - 05/15/13 09:41 PM Re: What defines "sublime" music? [Re: Medium Heights]
Quaver Pyjama Offline

Originally Posted By: Medium Heights
I think sublime is a manifestation of genius or our frail connection with something greater than ourselves. I think we all have the potential to express this but it might not come when we are looking for it, and some of us (myself for example) might be able to express it only once or twice per life-time.

I think it can be simple and very laid-back, but it can also be something like a Wagnerian climax or the climax of a Bach fugue. It's a rather vague word, to my mind.

You know nothing of what you are talking about.

#2083380 - 05/15/13 11:06 PM Re: What defines "sublime" music? [Re: TrueMusic]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
A Bach fugue probably isn't the best possible example of "sublime" music.

Click to reveal..
...I think that the first movement of Mozart's K545 sonata is the most sublime thing I've ever heard. I always cry when I hear it played.

(Not.)

Polyphonist

#2083498 - 05/16/13 04:01 AM Re: What defines "sublime" music? [Re: Quaver Pyjama]
Medium Heights Offline

Originally Posted By: Quaver Pyjama
Originally Posted By: Medium Heights

Only my own experience and what the dictionary tells me, all of which is nothing to you personally, I guess. It's something to me, however.

Or alternatively, we can engage in the eternal battle of mere semantics over this if you so wish. I have time.

#2084067 - 05/17/13 08:59 AM Re: What defines "sublime" music? [Re: TrueMusic]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
I'm inclined to agree with Medium Heights on this (try not to be too surprised Medium) and for Quaver to weigh in with
Quote:
without any explanation did nothing to elevate the discussion. Sublime is a word that hasn't been defined in this thread so let's take care of that, here's how dictionary.com defines sublime:

1. elevated or lofty in thought, language, etc.: Paradise Lost is sublime poetry.
2. impressing the mind with a sense of grandeur or power; inspiring awe, veneration, etc.: Switzerland has sublime scenery.
3. supreme or outstanding: a sublime dinner.
4. complete; absolute; utter: sublime stupidity.

I don't get "laid back" from this definition, but I do think a Bach fugue could qualify. If I thought more highly of the meaning behind Wagner's operas they might qualify in my mind. Certainly a Mahler symphony could be described as sublime.

#2084087 - 05/17/13 09:40 AM Re: What defines "sublime" music? [Re: Steve Chandler]
Medium Heights Offline

Nah, I'm not surprised. I may be quick to anger, but I'm also fast in moving to the opposite direction, especially when given the opportunity. I'm sure you're a good guy as well.

#2084655 - 05/18/13 10:11 AM Re: What defines "sublime" music? [Re: TrueMusic]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Leicester, UK
true music,

"sublime" as applied to music has a very specific meaning and it usually is applied to a very specific point in european classical history.

if you google "sublime music romanticism" you'll find links, some better than others of course, that explain the concept of "sublime" in a historical sense - as it was used in the 19th century to describe music and visual art. robert schumann is often quoted in discussions. he once used the phrase "heavenly length" to describe schubert's last symphony. that phrase has since stuck and gets quoted a lot!

"sublime" often is used in a contemporary sense - as in the way a dictionary defines it now. if you google "sublime classical music" you'll find links that speak to "sublime" without considering the 19th century historical context.

it really just depends on where your interests are and what you'd like to get from the discussion. the concept of "sublime" in music and art in the 19th century is indeed pretty standard stuff and it's included in history classes that coverer music and art from that period. but because the word has historical meaning doesn't mean we have to use it that way!

all above is intended only as helpful historical texture ...

mark@polishookpiano.com

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
is my piano tunable
by d3c0
12/22/14 05:45 PM
SSHD running VST
by daz100
12/22/14 05:01 PM
do you recommend further service?
by ShannonG
12/22/14 04:34 PM
Is this now real enough?
by Philip_Johnston
12/22/14 04:21 PM
Quick question
by Phil Greenough
12/22/14 03:51 PM
Forum Stats
77398 Members
42 Forums
160066 Topics
2350626 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission