Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2076413 - 05/03/13 03:38 AM The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL
King Cole Offline

Loc: Louisiana
Now of course it all depends on what your definition of "is" is. *Rolls eyes*

Haven't had much time to check these forums due to all the practicing cool but here's a simple question and although potentially you can make many pieces to all of these what are your preferences?

Name three composers for the piano (apparently you have to state the obvious) in the classical/Romantic era and name 3 works that best display Romantic/tear-jerker, Prestige & Noble and Power/Might. For instance since all you guys listen to is Chopin...

Chopin:
Tear Jerker- Etude op. 10, No.3

Prestigious- Heroic Polonaise op. 53

Raw Power & Might- Piano Sonata No.2

Prokofiev? Ravel? Schumann's? Rach? Liszt? Beethoven?

Feel free to add another emotion like grief, sadness etc

Edited by King Cole (05/04/13 01:26 AM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2076785 - 05/03/13 05:46 PM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: King Cole]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
I notice a loophole: You didn't ask for piano pieces. wink

Schubert:
Tear-jerker: Gretchen am Spinnrade.
Prestige & Noble: Symphonie Nr.9 "Great"
Power & Might: Mirjam's Siegesgesang

If we try to find piano pieces:
Tear-jerker: Still Gretchen am Spinnrade.
Prestige: Impromptu op.90/4.
Power & Might: Sonata D958 or D960.

#2076816 - 05/03/13 07:23 PM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: patH]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Originally Posted By: patH
Using that loophole: I listened to most of Max Bruch's violin concerto #3 on the way home from my lesson yesterday. It was beautiful but one of the saddest things I've ever heard.

Deborah

#2076919 - 05/03/13 11:56 PM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: King Cole]
Polyphonist Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Rachmaninoff:

Tear Jerker: Parts of 3rd concerto op 30 (I could probably substitute dozens of pieces for this one)

Prestigious: 2nd concerto op 18 (I guess - you probably should have gone into more detail about what these things mean... wink I just picked it because it's well-known)

Powerful: Paganini Rhapsody op 43 (self-explanatory)

Sorry about picking all piano + orchestra pieces. laugh

Polyphonist

#2076924 - 05/04/13 12:04 AM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: King Cole]
6000 Post Club Member

Chopin (completely different from the OP... ha )

Tear Jerker: 4th Ballade or 3rd Sonata (oh, I could list these for ages)

Prestigious: Revolutionary Etude 10/12 (again, could substitute a lot of different pieces here)

Powerful: Maybe 28/24? Can't decide between several different pieces for this one.

Polyphonist

#2076926 - 05/04/13 12:09 AM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: King Cole]
6000 Post Club Member

By the way - what is the point of this thread, if you don't mind my asking? ha

(Not trying to be insulting, just curious. laugh )

Polyphonist

#2076940 - 05/04/13 12:39 AM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: King Cole]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Of course this is a piano forum, Polyphonist, but does your musical world extend at all beyond what has been written for the piano? Do you listen to anything else?

All of your above examples are not 'tear jerkers' to me, with the exception of Rachmaninov 2.

#2076943 - 05/04/13 12:45 AM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: King Cole]
mermilylumpkin Offline

This is of course your thread so feel free to ignore my suggestion but what about adding more categories of feeling? It just occurred to me since a lot of my favorite pieces are more evocative of "wild" or "coming undone" or "strange" or "quiet and reflective." There's probably a more catchy name for those feelings than that. For some reason I'm frequently not as drawn to mighty and colossal things. Anyway, I'm not very good at these threads of categorizing things, so I'll "take my answer off the air" as they say on NPR.

#2076946 - 05/04/13 12:51 AM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: argerichfan]
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: argerichfan
All of your above examples are not 'tear jerkers' to me, with the exception of Rachmaninov 2.

...which I didn't even list as one.

Of course this is a piano forum,

Yes.

does your musical world extend at all beyond what has been written for the piano? Do you listen to anything else?

Yes, it does, as a matter of fact. I'm not as musically illiterate as you seem to think, argerichfan.

I assumed the OP to be talking about piano works, since this thread is on a forum called "Pianist Corner". So I limited my candidates to solo piano works, or pieces for piano and orchestra.

All of your above examples are not 'tear jerkers' to me

So, we have different musical tastes. Does that mean we can't get along at all?

Chopin's 4th Ballade, in my opinion, is one of the most profound works ever written. The Largo of the 3rd Sonata also falls into this category.

The Rachmaninoff Third is perhaps my favorite work of all time. I'm not going to get into why this is on this thread, as that would most likely hijack the thread. If you want to know, go look at the other forums on which the piece is being discussed.

If these pieces aren't "Tear Jerkers" for you, pray tell me, which ones are? (Excluding works without a piano in them.)

Polyphonist

#2077016 - 05/04/13 06:05 AM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: King Cole]
vers la flan Offline

Hi All,

My picks for Brahms:

Tearjerker - Intermezzo in A Op. 118 #2 OR Intermezzo in C# minor Op. 117 #3
Prestige/Noble - Piano Concerto 2
Power/Might - Piano Concerto 1

#2077020 - 05/04/13 06:25 AM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: King Cole]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: King Cole

Name three composers for the piano (apparently you have to state the obvious) in the classical/Romantic era and name 3 works that best display Romantic/tear-jerker, Prestige & Noble and Power/Might. For instance since all you guys listen to is Chopin...

Avoiding single movements from sonatas and symphonies (of which there are even better examples):

1) Mahler's Symphony No.9 and Mozart's Ave verum corpus. Piano: Mozart's Rondo in A minor, K 511

2) Elgar's Symphony No.1 - and his piano transcription of Nimrod (marked nobilmente - though not in the orchestral score).

3) Tchaikovsky's Marche slave, Op.31. Piano: Prokofiev's Suggestion diabolique, Op.4/4

#2077335 - 05/04/13 07:00 PM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: King Cole]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Polyphonist, to address your points:

I do not consider you 'musically illiterate', begone with that. I think the 4th Chopin Ballade one of Chopin's greatest works (why did Busoni rate it the weakest?), it just has never moved me in the way that, apparently, it has for you. My vote for Chopin goes to the Barcarolle. (Oh dear, it destroys me, no contest.)

Our musical tastes are delightfully different, and I truly apologize if I cannot share your exalted opinion of Rachmaninov 3. As per another topic, I think Saint-Saƫns 5 a better piece of music, it makes its point -and comes to a glorious climax- with sentiment, but without sentimentality.

You challenge me to come up with tear jerkers, piano only. (So I cannot mention Wagner?) My musical world is mainly organ and church music, not relevant here, but I can share a few moments from my past.

I did acid once, and per chance happened to hear the slow movement of the Brahms Op 5. Not very trendy to talk about, but I heard things there which I have never forgotten. It penetrated my mind, and then the Eb minor Scherzo came along.

The variations from Beethoven's Op 109. It came at a moment in my life wherein I needed consolation, and I just felt the kind hand of Beethoven on my shoulder. Tears that I will never forget.

#2077370 - 05/04/13 08:03 PM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: King Cole]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Argherichfan -

Thanks for your post (above) that puts your "choices" in a personal context. So much more interesting and meaningful to read than the usual superficial babble on threads like this - and it certainly makes me want to seriously think about "why" certain works mean so much to me as well.

#2077378 - 05/04/13 08:39 PM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: carey]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: carey
argerichfan
Thanks for your post (above) that puts your "choices" in a personal context. So much more interesting and meaningful to read than the usual superficial babble on threads like this - and it certainly makes me want to seriously think about "why" certain works mean so much to me as well.

Many thanks for your post. I am headed to France on Monday for about a month. I will be by myself, but I will take the opportunity to examine some aspects of my life -I may not even speak any English- which have become somewhat complacent these days living in the US. French Catholicism is so dynamic, and of course this will not fail to have its influence.

#2077421 - 05/04/13 11:22 PM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: argerichfan]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: carey
argerichfan

Many thanks for your post. I am headed to France on Monday for about a month. I will be by myself, but I will take the opportunity to examine some aspects of my life -I may not even speak any English- which have become somewhat complacent these days living in the US. French Catholicism is so dynamic, and of course this will not fail to have its influence.

Lucky guy. I have no doubt that you'll have a wonderful experience - and I look forward to hearing about the highlights of the trip upon your return. Hopefully you'll have a chance to visit some of the great cathedrals and hear a couple of live organ recitals while you're there. thumb

#2077636 - 05/05/13 12:31 PM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: King Cole]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Liszt:
tearjerker: sonata
prestige/noble: sonata
power/might: sonata

Chopin op.28/20/31/39/54

#2077640 - 05/05/13 12:38 PM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: dolce sfogato]
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dolce sfogato
Liszt:
tearjerker: sonata
prestige/noble: sonata
power/might: sonata

I was going to do that for Rach and Opus 30, but decided not to. grin

You could also do it for Beethoven and Opus 106.

You could probably do it for any composer, come to think of it. ha Most every great composer has those works.

Polyphonist

#2077729 - 05/05/13 03:33 PM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: Polyphonist]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
[...]You could probably do it for any composer, come to think of it. ha Most every great composer has those works.

Moreover, one man's "tearjerker" is another man's "repose"; one man's "power" is another man's "bombast" which makes the entire exercise somewhat futile, I think.

Regards,
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#2077742 - 05/05/13 03:50 PM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: King Cole]
6000 Post Club Member

Of course; the object is not to evaluate the quality of the works or make fun of other people's choices, but to share the pieces that you are passionate about. Who knows, maybe someone will read your post and listen to a piece you listed that they've never heard before, and then share your love for it. smile

Polyphonist

#2078661 - 05/07/13 05:21 AM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: King Cole]
babama Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Scriabin

Tearjerker: Sonata # 3, 3rd movement: easily one of the most tender and achingly beautiful piano pieces of all time

Prestige/noble: Piano Concerto, 3rd movement

Power and might: Prometheus: The Poem of Fire

#2078919 - 05/07/13 05:25 PM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: babama]
worov Offline

Loc: Paris
Heitor Villa-Lobos:

Tearjerker (though the orchestra version is much better) :

Prestigious :

Powerful :

Edited by worov (05/07/13 05:25 PM)

#2078934 - 05/07/13 05:53 PM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: King Cole]
AldenH Offline

Loc: Texas
Schoenberg!

Tearjerker: Pelleas und Melisande, Op. 5 (symphonic poem);
Prestige/noble: Variations for Orchestra, Op. 31
Power and might: Moses und Aron (unfinished)

There are as many opinions as there are people, and aren't we glad for that?

#2079632 - 05/09/13 03:16 AM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: AldenH]
King Cole Offline

Loc: Louisiana
Originally Posted By: BruceD

Moreover, one man's "tearjerker" is another man's "repose"; one man's "power" is another man's "bombast" which makes the entire exercise somewhat futile, I think.

Regards,

Everything is not an exercise goodness. Music is an art. I'm at the Louvre and I'm just asking what does a certain painting mean to you. Does everything have to be strict Pollini?! Er I mean BruceD. This is where your power of interpretation comes in smh.

Originally Posted By: worov
Heitor Villa-Lobos:

Interesting composer indeed.

To see if you'd pick anybody other than Rach... Case closed.

Originally Posted By: bennevis

Avoiding single movements from sonatas and symphonies (of which there are even better examples):

1) Mahler's Symphony No.9 and Mozart's Ave verum corpus. Piano: Mozart's Rondo in A minor, K 511

Mozart is overrated to me but this selection is pretty nice I must say. I've tried and tried but its the same thing with Liszt he has a handful of gems (9-10) but most of his work seems too ostentatious and incohesive for me and his greatest works sound like Liszt with a Chopinian influence. His Un Sospiro is to die for...

Originally Posted By: babama
Scriabin
Tearjerker: Sonata # 3, 3rd movement: easily one of the most tender and achingly beautiful piano pieces of all time

Prestige/noble: Piano Concerto, 3rd movement

Power and might: Prometheus: The Poem of Fire

I agree with the first Sonata #3 3rd movement, interesting choice for the powerful I must say

Originally Posted By: vers la flan
Hi All,

My picks for Brahms:

Tearjerker - Intermezzo in A Op. 118 #2 OR Intermezzo in C# minor Op. 117 #3
Prestige/Noble - Piano Concerto 2
Power/Might - Piano Concerto 1

Wow you have made me fall in love with Brahms... stunning

Originally Posted By: patH

Schubert:
Tear-jerker: Gretchen am Spinnrade.
Prestige & Noble: Symphonie Nr.9 "Great"
Power & Might: Mirjam's Siegesgesang

If we try to find piano pieces:
Tear-jerker: Still Gretchen am Spinnrade.
Prestige: Impromptu op.90/4.
Power & Might: Sonata D958 or D960.

YES PIANO PIECES AT PIANO WORLD!!! But your piano selections were fantastic. Schubert was extremely poetic and always gets overlooked

Originally Posted By: AldenH

There are as many opinions as there are people, and aren't we glad for that?

Well said

#2079875 - 05/09/13 02:51 PM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: King Cole]
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: King Cole

To see if you'd pick anybody other than Rach... Case closed.

I also did Chopin...

Polyphonist

#2081260 - 05/12/13 08:50 AM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: King Cole]
pianojosh23 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Liszt.

Tearjerker: Variations on a theme by Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen.

Prestige/noble: Christus.

Power/Might: Heroide Funebre (seriously, with Pletnev and the RNO this piece makes Totentanz, Funerailles, and the first movement of the Dante Symphony sound like lullabies).

Edited by pianojosh23 (05/12/13 08:56 AM)

#2081474 - 05/12/13 05:01 PM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: pianojosh23]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianojosh23

Tearjerker: Variations on a theme by Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen.

I have only performed it on the organ, and IMO it works better that way. The piano version has some very effective moments, but the closing pages on piano feel more grandiloquent than exalting.

#2081826 - 05/13/13 10:41 AM Re: The TEAR JERKER, The PRESTIGIOUS and The POWERFUL [Re: King Cole]
Rotom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Chopin:
Tear jerker: Concerto No.2 in F minor, 2nd Movement

Tear jerker: Nocturne Op.62, No.1, B major

Prestigious: Piano Sonata No.3

Powerful: Ballade No.4

Beethoven:
Lighthearted: Piano Sonata Op.79 ("sonatina" as some call it), 1st Movement

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
162 registered (alfredo capurso, accordeur, anotherscott, 54 invisible), 1772 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74300 Members
42 Forums
153683 Topics
2252765 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Cover of Luke Bryan "Drink a Beer"
by Zach Evans
04/23/14 05:36 PM
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft on May 3
by Keith D Kerman
04/23/14 05:06 PM
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft May 3
by Keith D Kerman
04/23/14 05:05 PM
Hi Mr S-H and all
by Seaside_Lee
04/23/14 04:13 PM
A Steinway for under £1,500...
by Juln
04/23/14 04:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission