2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2076504 05/03/13 08:56 AM
Ragdoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I just have too many irons in the fire.

I looked further into the book where I am studying Come Back to Sorrento and saw a Grieg piece (In the Hall of The Mountain King) and thought well maybe I could learn this ha That's when my reality check ricocheted off the wall into my head. My reach has always exceeded my grasp. It's just too much right now. My ego deflated to a more manageable size right off. blush

Maybe in a few more months I'll look at it again.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Was this your selected piece for the Grieg recital? It's not original to the piano, so it's a transcription. Transcriptions are notorious for being difficult because they are trying to condense and entire orchestra (and choir in the case!) into two hands. Some transcriptions are unplayable as written and it is up to the performer to then decide which parts they will play - so it is perfectly acceptable to drop notes here.

You may also want to look at a different transcription as I am sure there are many different ones of varying levels around.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I had that too with moonlight sonata part 3 yesterday. The reality check came fast though. It didn't take much longer than 5 minutes, haha.

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
You have my sympathies on the rude awakening, but at the same time I was laughing at your thread title. Good one!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I have spent the better part of a lifetime on Come Back to Sorrento (and a few other simple Neaopolitan songs) - I still don't have it "correct".

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Is this Alfred All-In-One Book 3? This transcription of In The Hall Of The Mountain King is, IMHO, harder than the pieces around it. Not so much because it's a transcription -- it uses a relatively thin texture -- but because of the fluctuating accidentals, so your hand is continually making different shapes, and this happens in both the left and right hands.

I worked on this very slowly, hands separate, working on each phrase, and noting where the phrases were similar and where they were subtly (or not so subtly) different. It took me a lot longer than most other pieces in Alfred's AIO 3.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Transcriptions are notorious for being difficult because they are trying to condense and entire orchestra (and choir in the case!) into two hands. Some transcriptions are unplayable as written and it is up to the performer to then decide which parts they will play - so it is perfectly acceptable to drop notes here.

I smiled when I read this. There are certainly easy arrangements of many popular works that were originally composed for other instruments or ensembles (and there may well be some easier versions of excerpts from Peer Gynt than the one in the OP). But transcriptions also have an interesting history in piano music as displays of virtuosity. Liszt was an avid transcriptionist, and his versions of all nine Beethoven symphonies (!) are really amazing.

Leopold Godowsky, who was a composer and virtuoso performer at the turn of the 20th century, produced an infamous set of transcriptions/arrangements of the Chopin etudes that were often considered unplayable. Even though the etudes were originally for piano rather than another medium of performance, Godowsky still did amazing things with them including rewriting many as one-hand pieces (while still including everything from the two-handed originals) or transposing the left and right hand parts. They are not really unplayable, of course (see Hamelin's recordings for evidence); but many pianists have considered them profane defacements of the canonized originals.

(p.s. One of the cutest thread titles ever!)

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Ragdoll - you made me laugh -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Ragdoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Was this your selected piece for the Grieg recital?

You may also want to look at a different transcription as I am sure there are many different ones of varying levels around.

The Grieg recital flitted through my mind briefly...VERY briefly. grin

Thanks Morodiene, I'll look around for another but studying this will have to wait awhile I fear.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
Ragdoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I had that too with moonlight sonata part 3 yesterday. The reality check came fast though. It didn't take much longer than 5 minutes, haha.

That's about 3 minutes longer than it took me.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
Ragdoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Is this Alfred All-In-One Book 3? This transcription of In The Hall Of The Mountain King is, IMHO, harder than the pieces around it. Not so much because it's a transcription -- it uses a relatively thin texture -- but because of the fluctuating accidentals, so your hand is continually making different shapes, and this happens in both the left and right hands.

I worked on this very slowly, hands separate, working on each phrase, and noting where the phrases were similar and where they were subtly (or not so subtly) different.

It's actually in the Adult Basic Bk 3. I also study this way, not all agree with this method but it works for me.

I noticed the change in hand shape right away and this was the catalyst for my decision to forget this piece for now.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
Ragdoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Liszt was an avid transcriptionist, and his versions of all nine Beethoven symphonies (!) are really amazing.

Liszt! :::full body shudder:::

(p.s. One of the cutest thread titles ever!)

Well thanks but it's not my thought I just heard it somewhere and it stuck in my noggin. grin

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
Ragdoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I have spent the better part of a lifetime on Come Back to Sorrento (and a few other simple Neaopolitan songs) - I still don't have it "correct".

For some reason I am finding the harmony much more difficult to manage than the melody. Must be a real bugger BHT. eek

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
Ragdoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
You have my sympathies on the rude awakening, but at the same time I was laughing at your thread title. Good one!

Hi Cheryl, I think it's good for us sometimes; at least it is for me. In the past I have wasted innumerable hours on things way too tough for me at the time.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
Ragdoll Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I'm glad of that Cathy. I made myself throw up in my mouth a little bit. whome

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
I understand, Ragdoll, I was also having a hard time balancing Alfred's book 3 (I'm at Scheherazade), my daily sight-reading, the ABF recital and other things I wanted to learn... so I changed my practice plan once more: most of my time will be devoted to my piece for the Grieg recital (!) and if I have energy to spare I'll do the theory pages in Alfred's and study a single piece as thoroughly as I can for the next ABF recital. Book 3 is terribly time-consuming, so in the future I will just try to get the technical aspects without learning full pieces, unless they are extremely appealing!

I don't know if this is helpful at all. For the Grieg, I'm using a strategy my teacher gave me, which is to start at the end or hardest part, work on smaller parts, and start with basic things (right notes, comfortable fingering, not up to speed, not 'musically' yet). I spent my first day basically on the very last measure because of the tricky thing in it. After that it's been one line per day. I also learned a thing called "pyramiding" where you start at the end, and keep building on it. (m. 32. m. 31 - flow into 32). You do that for a larger chunk of maybe 8 measures. The result is that as you practice, you are moving from the least familiar to stuff that is very familiar. At the end you should have a strong finish, just as you're getting tired. We have 5 months. That's like 150 days. So even 3 measures per day would get you somewhere, without taking up all your time.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
I didn't start from the end but I tried to identify the difficult parts, what Charles Cooke calls "fractures". One of these is actually the end with its big chords! So much patience needed... but yes, there should be plenty of time.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nothing wrong with reaching for the stars and dropping back down to earth. We brush ourselves off, and in time, reach again.

When I was taking lessons out of the RCM grade 1 book, I peeked at the RCM grade 5 book and thought wow, that looks like real music, as if grade 1 wasn't somehow? Anyway, even tried a few bars but didn't go anywhere. Now I'm taking lessons from the grade 5 book, I still remember the feeling of being impressed by music that now looks so normal. I took a peeked at the RCM grade 9 book yesterday - Liszt Consolation no. 3, tried a few bars then put it away. Someday....

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission