Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2076808 - 05/03/13 06:56 PM Perfect Copy... As if you weren't nervous enough already. :)
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Anybody who has read my posts knows what I think of perfect copy. My teacher, in her great wisdom and experience, came up with a statement that hit hard.

She had introduced me to the D7 chord. First one in Alfred with a sharp. I asked her about chords and playing in keys, etc. She talked about incidentals, etc.. Then said: If you're supposed to play F# and play F. That is an accident that you, as a listener, it will hit you as so strange. That is the one thing you will remember about that song. Long after hearing the song, you will remember that one note. You will never forget it.

That really struck me deep. It is so true. It took her to change my opinion on perfect copy.

I now have to put perfect copy on par with: It's gotta be music.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2076810 - 05/03/13 07:04 PM Re: Perfect Copy... As if you weren't nervous enough already. :) [Re: rnaple]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Can you explain by what you mean "perfect copy"? Copy of what? (Lost).

#2076813 - 05/03/13 07:19 PM Re: Perfect Copy... As if you weren't nervous enough already. :) [Re: keystring]
Sand Tiger Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
I can add a story. I was at an event where a person that coached some of the big name singing show contestants was talking. The coach said many of the contestants could not read music and many had a hard time learning each song. Many contestants would go on the live show and sing some incorrect notes. Either they couldn't learn it, or couldn't sing it, or both. Most of the time, it wasn't intent, it was incompetence.

Sometimes the judges would note it, with the cliche "pitchy" comment. Once in a while, the mistake would get praise, "you made it your own."

For most piano beginners, better to learn it the correct way. Playing a D7 chord with F tends to sound like carp. Yes, if a person is a big name, or has other factors that may indicate it wasn't a mistake, that it was intentional, maybe it might earn that "you made it your own," line from some.

Some not so good beginners want to claim title to artist, to make a piece their own, instead of playing a perfect copy, when they are just bad. For most of us beginners, learning the correct way, as written tends to be the better road. Now, if a person is writing original music, that is another thing, but if a person is playing a known piece, beginner mistakes tend to be mistakes, not artistry.

#2076868 - 05/03/13 08:59 PM Re: Perfect Copy... As if you weren't nervous enough already. :) [Re: keystring]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: keystring
Can you explain by what you mean "perfect copy"? Copy of what? (Lost).

Perfect copy of the music sitting in front of you.
Orr...err...rather... lets say.... hopefully...there is music sitting in front of you. You know what I mean. Pieces of paper, with lines across it, with dots and funny slanted circles. smile

#2076881 - 05/03/13 09:41 PM Re: Perfect Copy... As if you weren't nervous enough already. :) [Re: rnaple]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
And if you aren't capable of playing the intention of the composer, how could you claim you've made it your own rather than incompetence? My teacher told me that someone listening to me should have no trouble writing the score out with all the articulation marks, dynamics, and notes properly. At this point in my developement I am encouraged to be musical but not alter the score, except for a cadenza in one of my exam pieces where I'm taught to depart from tempo quite a bit for 3 measures where there is otherwise no tempo changes indicated. Actually, I'm a bit worried about how that would turn out in front of the adjudicator. Another baroque piece, my teacher has me play completely ignoring the slurs placed by the score editor. I'm a bit worried about those for the exam, but my point is, even a teacher who says you should follow the score would then go ahead and alter some of them.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (36251, accordeur, AndresD, ando, 42 invisible), 1573 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156123 Topics
2292633 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Halloween Fantasy
by Axtremus
30 minutes 19 seconds ago
Visited Yamaha's Flagship Store Today
by biasa199
33 minutes 16 seconds ago
Tag!
by Axtremus
33 minutes 48 seconds ago
Things are not working out for me
by Teodor
41 minutes 26 seconds ago
UVI has a sale on 5 grand piano sounds
by Morodiene
55 minutes 21 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission