2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (clothearednincompo, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
P
Luckily for me, the students who need this chart are all on the same level. If I have a student who doesn't yet do something (such as the "warm-ups"), we just skip that card.
You could always have more than one list...or write it out on a marker board and use a magnet to move to each item. It really helps my talkers and my one student with ADD.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I love how the user Patience's first two posts are on a thread called "Frustration". ha

...and welcome to PianoWorld! thumb

Regards,

Polyphonist
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Patience2010
Luckily for me, the students who need this chart are all on the same level. If I have a student who doesn't yet do something (such as the "warm-ups"), we just skip that card.
You could always have more than one list...or write it out on a marker board and use a magnet to move to each item. It really helps my talkers and my one student with ADD.

Yes, good idea. The kids I have most trouble with are in their own homes (maybe a pattern there...) so I like the index cards idea because it's quite portable. Most lessons would be covered if I said: scales/warm up; tunes from last week; new tunes; theory; game. All that matters to them is the game at the end.

Edit: I just want to bring this back to my original question. Of course there may be things I can do to reduce frustration, especially when I know to expect trouble and I can pre-empt it.

But, given I will sometimes get frustrated, is it OK to show it? What can I do with the frustration?

Last edited by ten left thumbs; 05/06/13 04:53 AM.
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs

Edit: I just want to bring this back to my original question. Of course there may be things I can do to reduce frustration, especially when I know to expect trouble and I can pre-empt it.

But, given I will sometimes get frustrated, is it OK to show it? What can I do with the frustration?

There have been times when I'm frustrated, and I don't often try to hide it. Sometimes a student is being particularly daft or not focusing, and me not telling them doesn't help anything. However, I do believe there are times when I know I'm just having a bad day, I'm short-tempered, and so I keep it to myself. I guess you just have to know yourself enough to be able to realize if your frustration is because the student is acting a certain way which is disrespectful/distracting to the lesson or if it's due to your own personal feelings that day. Sometimes when I'm frustrated with a student I will just switch gears and do something completely different that day than I had planned for them - this often will have good results and help us both from getting frustrated.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T

If it will benefit the student, by all means show it.

If it's just to make you feel better, no.

I'm of the opinion that case 1 is relatively rare, but YMMV.

gotta go practice
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
OK, got it. If a student is being daft and a hint of my frustration is going to help get them on track, I show it.

If it's not going to help, or if it's a combination of a string a students being just a shade off, then I hide it and shout at my husband at the end of the day? wink

Actually this reminds me an old brass teacher from aeons ago who was chilled as anything, but just occasionally there was an edge in his voice as he counted me in that told me I'd better concentrate.

M
M
OK, got it. If a student is being daft and a hint of my frustration is going to help get them on track, I show it.

If it's not going to help, or if it's a combination of a string a students being just a shade off, then I hide it and shout at my husband at the end of the day? wink

Actually this reminds me an old brass teacher from aeons ago who was chilled as anything, but just occasionally there was an edge in his voice as he counted me in that told me I'd better concentrate.

I don't take it out on my husband, but I do vent to him and my fellow voice teacher. I also do a lot of playing of loud, angry music that helps. laugh

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
ten left thumbs,

I tend to channel frustration into housework. Makes for very clean bathrooms. laugh

It doesn't help say during a lesson. But with frustration that has stayed with you, it's great. Frustration is energy that can be put to better use.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Frustration is weakness leaving the body.

No, wait. I think that's pain. Never mind. smile

Long term, frustration is a message you need to fix something, either with the external factor (student behavior) or the internal (your attitude toward it). Your control is usually greater over internal, if you choose.

Short term, we all get frustrated at times. Being aware of it allows you to avoid overreacting.

gotta go practice
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Deep.

I care about students achieving something. When they don't get something they should get (they got it last week, they can't stop talking about cars....) I get frustrated. I haven't found a way beyond that yet, apart from not caring. And my plan is to keep caring.

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Patience, I did the index card-plan with offender #1 today and it worked brilliantly. She was cooperative as anything when she knew the game would be at the end. She still footered a lot with the footstool, so I had to take it away, then when she was uncomfortable, I gave it back and it stayed on the ground. smile

P
P
Yeah! I'm so glad it worked out for you!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
No, I never show frustration. There must be patience in learning as well as patience in teaching. I can't create a genius at the piano but I do believe I can inspire a student to play for a lifetime.

I think students are very creative. Possibly you might have a moment during a lesson where the student can create a 'new idea'. For an example.... I like practicing difficult passages backwards.....ok, I mean of course, small segments.

I have thought of using various card approaches for years. Hopefully I'll come up with something I like.

rada

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission