Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2076504 - 05/03/13 08:56 AM My reality check bounced.
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
I just have too many irons in the fire.

I looked further into the book where I am studying Come Back to Sorrento and saw a Grieg piece (In the Hall of The Mountain King) and thought well maybe I could learn this ha That's when my reality check ricocheted off the wall into my head. My reach has always exceeded my grasp. It's just too much right now. My ego deflated to a more manageable size right off. blush

Maybe in a few more months I'll look at it again.

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2076510 - 05/03/13 09:06 AM Re: My reality check bounced. [Re: Ragdoll]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Was this your selected piece for the Grieg recital? It's not original to the piano, so it's a transcription. Transcriptions are notorious for being difficult because they are trying to condense and entire orchestra (and choir in the case!) into two hands. Some transcriptions are unplayable as written and it is up to the performer to then decide which parts they will play - so it is perfectly acceptable to drop notes here.

You may also want to look at a different transcription as I am sure there are many different ones of varying levels around.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2076520 - 05/03/13 09:26 AM Re: My reality check bounced. [Re: Ragdoll]
PaperClip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
I had that too with moonlight sonata part 3 yesterday. The reality check came fast though. It didn't take much longer than 5 minutes, haha.

Playing since May 02 2009

#2076524 - 05/03/13 09:34 AM Re: My reality check bounced. [Re: Ragdoll]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
You have my sympathies on the rude awakening, but at the same time I was laughing at your thread title. Good one!

#2076533 - 05/03/13 09:42 AM My reality check bounced. [Re: Ragdoll]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I have spent the better part of a lifetime on Come Back to Sorrento (and a few other simple Neaopolitan songs) - I still don't have it "correct".

#2076537 - 05/03/13 09:54 AM Re: My reality check bounced. [Re: Ragdoll]
PianoStudent88 Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Is this Alfred All-In-One Book 3? This transcription of In The Hall Of The Mountain King is, IMHO, harder than the pieces around it. Not so much because it's a transcription -- it uses a relatively thin texture -- but because of the fluctuating accidentals, so your hand is continually making different shapes, and this happens in both the left and right hands.

I worked on this very slowly, hands separate, working on each phrase, and noting where the phrases were similar and where they were subtly (or not so subtly) different. It took me a lot longer than most other pieces in Alfred's AIO 3.

#2076546 - 05/03/13 10:15 AM Re: My reality check bounced. [Re: Morodiene]
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Transcriptions are notorious for being difficult because they are trying to condense and entire orchestra (and choir in the case!) into two hands. Some transcriptions are unplayable as written and it is up to the performer to then decide which parts they will play - so it is perfectly acceptable to drop notes here.

I smiled when I read this. There are certainly easy arrangements of many popular works that were originally composed for other instruments or ensembles (and there may well be some easier versions of excerpts from Peer Gynt than the one in the OP). But transcriptions also have an interesting history in piano music as displays of virtuosity. Liszt was an avid transcriptionist, and his versions of all nine Beethoven symphonies (!) are really amazing.

Leopold Godowsky, who was a composer and virtuoso performer at the turn of the 20th century, produced an infamous set of transcriptions/arrangements of the Chopin etudes that were often considered unplayable. Even though the etudes were originally for piano rather than another medium of performance, Godowsky still did amazing things with them including rewriting many as one-hand pieces (while still including everything from the two-handed originals) or transposing the left and right hand parts. They are not really unplayable, of course (see Hamelin's recordings for evidence); but many pianists have considered them profane defacements of the canonized originals.

(p.s. One of the cutest thread titles ever!)
Estonia L168 #1718

#2076555 - 05/03/13 10:23 AM Re: My reality check bounced. [Re: Ragdoll]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Ragdoll - you made me laugh -

Cathy

#2076563 - 05/03/13 10:36 AM Re: My reality check bounced. [Re: Morodiene]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Was this your selected piece for the Grieg recital?

You may also want to look at a different transcription as I am sure there are many different ones of varying levels around.

The Grieg recital flitted through my mind briefly...VERY briefly. grin

Thanks Morodiene, I'll look around for another but studying this will have to wait awhile I fear.

#2076567 - 05/03/13 10:38 AM Re: My reality check bounced. [Re: PaperClip]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
I had that too with moonlight sonata part 3 yesterday. The reality check came fast though. It didn't take much longer than 5 minutes, haha.

That's about 3 minutes longer than it took me.

#2076574 - 05/03/13 10:43 AM Re: My reality check bounced. [Re: PianoStudent88]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Is this Alfred All-In-One Book 3? This transcription of In The Hall Of The Mountain King is, IMHO, harder than the pieces around it. Not so much because it's a transcription -- it uses a relatively thin texture -- but because of the fluctuating accidentals, so your hand is continually making different shapes, and this happens in both the left and right hands.

I worked on this very slowly, hands separate, working on each phrase, and noting where the phrases were similar and where they were subtly (or not so subtly) different.

It's actually in the Adult Basic Bk 3. I also study this way, not all agree with this method but it works for me.

I noticed the change in hand shape right away and this was the catalyst for my decision to forget this piece for now.

#2076576 - 05/03/13 10:48 AM Re: My reality check bounced. [Re: packa]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Liszt was an avid transcriptionist, and his versions of all nine Beethoven symphonies (!) are really amazing.

Liszt! :::full body shudder:::

Quote:

(p.s. One of the cutest thread titles ever!)

Well thanks but it's not my thought I just heard it somewhere and it stuck in my noggin. grin

#2076579 - 05/03/13 10:52 AM Re: My reality check bounced. [Re: LoPresti]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
I have spent the better part of a lifetime on Come Back to Sorrento (and a few other simple Neaopolitan songs) - I still don't have it "correct".

For some reason I am finding the harmony much more difficult to manage than the melody. Must be a real bugger BHT. eek

#2076581 - 05/03/13 10:55 AM Re: My reality check bounced. [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
You have my sympathies on the rude awakening, but at the same time I was laughing at your thread title. Good one!

Hi Cheryl, I think it's good for us sometimes; at least it is for me. In the past I have wasted innumerable hours on things way too tough for me at the time.

#2076585 - 05/03/13 10:58 AM Re: My reality check bounced. [Re: jotur]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm glad of that Cathy. I made myself throw up in my mouth a little bit. whome

#2076674 - 05/03/13 01:40 PM Re: My reality check bounced. [Re: Ragdoll]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

I understand, Ragdoll, I was also having a hard time balancing Alfred's book 3 (I'm at Scheherazade), my daily sight-reading, the ABF recital and other things I wanted to learn... so I changed my practice plan once more: most of my time will be devoted to my piece for the Grieg recital (!) and if I have energy to spare I'll do the theory pages in Alfred's and study a single piece as thoroughly as I can for the next ABF recital. Book 3 is terribly time-consuming, so in the future I will just try to get the technical aspects without learning full pieces, unless they are extremely appealing!

#2076681 - 05/03/13 02:00 PM Re: My reality check bounced. [Re: Ragdoll]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I don't know if this is helpful at all. For the Grieg, I'm using a strategy my teacher gave me, which is to start at the end or hardest part, work on smaller parts, and start with basic things (right notes, comfortable fingering, not up to speed, not 'musically' yet). I spent my first day basically on the very last measure because of the tricky thing in it. After that it's been one line per day. I also learned a thing called "pyramiding" where you start at the end, and keep building on it. (m. 32. m. 31 - flow into 32). You do that for a larger chunk of maybe 8 measures. The result is that as you practice, you are moving from the least familiar to stuff that is very familiar. At the end you should have a strong finish, just as you're getting tired. We have 5 months. That's like 150 days. So even 3 measures per day would get you somewhere, without taking up all your time.

#2076739 - 05/03/13 04:01 PM Re: My reality check bounced. [Re: Ragdoll]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

I didn't start from the end but I tried to identify the difficult parts, what Charles Cooke calls "fractures". One of these is actually the end with its big chords! So much patience needed... but yes, there should be plenty of time.

#2076851 - 05/03/13 08:41 PM Re: My reality check bounced. [Re: Ragdoll]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Nothing wrong with reaching for the stars and dropping back down to earth. We brush ourselves off, and in time, reach again.

When I was taking lessons out of the RCM grade 1 book, I peeked at the RCM grade 5 book and thought wow, that looks like real music, as if grade 1 wasn't somehow? Anyway, even tried a few bars but didn't go anywhere. Now I'm taking lessons from the grade 5 book, I still remember the feeling of being impressed by music that now looks so normal. I took a peeked at the RCM grade 9 book yesterday - Liszt Consolation no. 3, tried a few bars then put it away. Someday....

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (antony, Almaviva, Anne'sson, anotherscott, ABC Vermonter, 39 invisible), 1491 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74318 Members
42 Forums
153716 Topics
2253425 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
GH1 tuning pin torque
by awyaks
18 minutes 58 seconds ago
Will you take Manhattan?
by davefrank
26 minutes 27 seconds ago
Growing student
by pianoplayer84
37 minutes 45 seconds ago
Our first piano acquisition- Yamaha U3
by Manutabora
Today at 07:56 PM
Yamaha Grand buying choices
by BrianDX
Today at 07:35 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission