Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2074495 - 04/30/13 08:27 PM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: Rickster]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
As for me, well, I just keep on playing my piano(s) the way I want to and keep on smiling… in fact, I wrote a song entitled “Play it like you want to”. smile

So when are we going to hear it?

:::tosses back hair, arms crossed, tapping foot::: grin

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2074501 - 04/30/13 08:49 PM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: Peyton]
Polyphonist Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Peyton
Originally Posted By: earlofmar
This incident is further indication of how committed and serious people take their piano playing and their involvement in the forum. I can well understand your hurt dire tonic but also understand another's suspicion of wrong doing and probably felt a duty to say something.

I applaud your rebuff dire tonic (use of the clock in your video is masterful) but for the sake of the forum it would be best to put this to bed asap.

+1 At least the person in question PM'd and did not post his accusations on the forum. Of course if he had he would be eating some serious crow right about now.

Wouldn't that have been a good thing? laugh

Polyphonist

#2074504 - 04/30/13 08:53 PM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: Ragdoll]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Ragdoll
Quote:
As for me, well, I just keep on playing my piano(s) the way I want to and keep on smiling… in fact, I wrote a song entitled “Play it like you want to”. smile

Rick is too modest to toot his own horn. Here's the video:

Play it Like You Want to

Sam
Every ABF recital since #13 Feb '09!
ABF Recital Index
My Recital Performances

#2074519 - 04/30/13 09:14 PM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: Sam S]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Rick = rockstar!

That was awesome! Enjoyed that very much. Thanks for tooting his horn Sam smile

Originally Posted By: Sam S
Originally Posted By: Ragdoll
Quote:

Rick is too modest to toot his own horn. Here's the video:

Play it Like You Want to

Sam

#2074534 - 04/30/13 09:47 PM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: dire tonic]
Nikolas Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
dire,

I don't know you, I don't really frequent the ABF too much, but this "case" got me interested...

Based on what I saw on the youtube video you posted here, I think that the video, due to the quality looks choppy and speed altered... This is not to say that it IS so, but that it LOOKS so, because of the frame rate, etc... So I don't think it's insane that someone thought there was something going on.

But this is where everything ends: Accusing someone of cheating in an e-recital, and doing so in a mod is silly, to say the least and rather nasty. Personally I would've approached you in person through a PM and see if I can sort out what's going on, without such certainty...

In any case best of luck and don't worry about the various nasty people that can be found everywhere: They indeed can be found everywhere, and can be ignored! wink

#2074536 - 04/30/13 09:54 PM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: Nikolas]
Ojustaboo Offline

Loc: Deleted
This sort of thing makes me plucking up the courage to ever submit something myself all the more harder frown

I play a couple of online games, characters that can sneak around invisible, my character names all have sneak in them such as Sneakaboo and I'm known as Sneak when chatting online.

So reading this and the culprit being referred to by my gamer name makes it all the worse smile

#2074588 - 04/30/13 11:23 PM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: dire tonic]
newest student Offline

Loc: Eastern PA
Dire Tonic, I suggest that you consider the source which criticized you, and then discount it.

#2074640 - 05/01/13 12:20 AM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: newest student]
Saranoya Offline

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
Dire Tonic,

Try not to let this kind of thing get to you. I know that's easier said than done, but consider what Morodiene said: neither prizes, nor bragging rights are associated with any of the PW recitals. A person who engages in this kind of accusation (and certainly one who goes to a third person of perceived 'authority' to do it) is can probably be dismissed as someone who just had a little too much time on their hands.

If you say you didn't speed up the video, then I believe you. I see no reason for you to lie about that. But even if you did lie about it, and did speed up the video, I wouldn't care. No prize money, no bragging rights. You can do whatever the heck you want, as far as I'm concerned.

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56
Rameau Gavotte in a with variations

#2074711 - 05/01/13 03:44 AM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: dire tonic]
dire tonic Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Thanks a lot, everyone, for your generous support , pertinent messages and plenty of laughs – the thread needed some light-heartedness. My face is still smarting from Derulux’s glove.

On the downside, I now feel like a rabid attention seeker – but that’s decidedly better than being made to feel like a cheat.

Let the work commence!

#2074719 - 05/01/13 03:58 AM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: Ojustaboo]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
"This sort of thing makes me plucking up the courage to ever submit something myself all the more harder frown"

Get on wi it man! We want to hear ya. . . . grin

""

#2074750 - 05/01/13 05:21 AM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: Ojustaboo]
Mickb Offline

Originally Posted By: Ojustaboo
This sort of thing makes me plucking up the courage to ever submit something myself all the more harder frown

I play a couple of online games, characters that can sneak around invisible, my character names all have sneak in them such as Sneakaboo and I'm known as Sneak when chatting online.

So reading this and the culprit being referred to by my gamer name makes it all the worse smile

Don't tell me, you play a Rogue in Wow?

#2074772 - 05/01/13 06:41 AM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: dire tonic]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
I just thought I would post this video Of the Rickster for those that havent yet seen it.
On another thread that was about Adult beginners VS beginners and beyond I believe someone joked that Rickster should be thrown off for being Too GOOD!!!

Before anyone claims "cheat" on Ricksters eyebrows, he is certainly not cheating, the video is clearly OVER exposed and it is this that is making Ricksters eyebrows seem so , well, (sorry Rickster) : startling!

Nikolas: Thank you for coming over from PC where your opinions and skills as a musician/composer are so well respected to weigh in here with your thoughts.

I would like to mention to you that I said the same to the person that Pmed me: vis a vis that on less than adequate camcorders/phones/etc often the frame rate is poor to say the least.
I went on to say that I know of many videos both here on PW and on youtube/ the internet that I know for a certainty are absolutely genuine, yet these videos dont capture the hands and finger movements to such an extent that in some cases the fingers arent even where they are meant to be for the notes that are sounding.

This wasnt the case in Dire tonics video, but I cited this point to illustrate that discrepencies do appear in genuine recordings none the less.

I believed this would give the person an acceptable "out" as I think it is always best to do that, rather than back someone into a corner with no "out" other than kicking and screaming, which I wanted to avoid.

I got a PM back that disagreed with this .

A lot of folk who played in the mendelssohn recital were attempting pieces well out of their "comfort zone" and further to the musical difficulties that had to be overcome and the steep learning curve, there were also folk who had never uploaded a video to the internet, and therefore had to learn about and then overcome technical difficulties.

For the senior amongst us, that is never easy, to some windows movie maker itself was a monster that had to be defeated, and this after the stress of getting a "reasonable" recording with less than studio quality equipment.

To call "foul" unjustly after all the time and trouble , grief and in some cases trauma that a performer has gone through to share their contribution for the enjoyment and listening pleasure of the group as a whole , is, in my totally serious opinion; both hurtful and spurious.

Dire tonic is not just a name on a forum, he is a human being with feelings, hopes, aspirations and dreams,and had worked very hard on his pieces, (just like everyone else had), and this accusation was just not cricket as we say here in the UK.

I hope that the overwhelming and justified show of support given here by all other members will go a long way to helping Dire tonic throw off these feelings of hurt,sadness, and dismay and encourage him to continue contributing pieces for our enjoyment and listening pleasure.

May that be and end of it.

Edited by Rostosky (05/01/13 06:42 AM)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#2074836 - 05/01/13 08:41 AM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: dire tonic]
Nikolas Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Rostosky and everyone: I seriously hope that my posts didn't come off as insulting to dire! My point was that "S" saw something and thought something that wasn't unreasonable, due to the image quality and low frame rate.

Other than that everything else that "S" did was unacceptable by me! smile

But exactly as you say, "S" could've gotten out of this, yet (s)he feels that (s)he's right. He can believe what he wants, but now with a clock to prove it... bah... to herim! grin

DIRE: Directly to you: Despite of what has happened and even despite the support that you got, think of it this way: Your music playing was SO GOOD that you got accused that you cheated! HA to everyone! "S" thinks that your video and your music is too good! Great then!

As a professional and a rather public figure (definitely not well known, but in any case quite vocal) I think that I get flamed a few times (thankfully not too frequently). Especially for my music, my performance, etc. I've decided that I can't please everyone and eventually (and to a great extent) even if I touch ONE SINGLE PERSON with my music then perhaps my job is done correctly! It's the rest who are at loss here!

So same with you! smile Cheer up, record more stuff and enjoy the music! It's all about love, life, cherish what you're doing and Mendelssohn (in this case)!

#2074846 - 05/01/13 08:55 AM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: Nikolas]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Nikolas

As a professional and a rather public figure (definitely not well known, but in any case quite vocal) I think that I get flamed a few times (thankfully not too frequently). Especially for my music, my performance, etc. I've decided that I can't please everyone and eventually (and to a great extent) even if I touch ONE SINGLE PERSON with my music then perhaps my job is done correctly! It's the rest who are at loss here!
This is really the key to being a musician. In a way, we have to be thick-skinned. Even the best musicians of all time got horribly criticized. *They* aren't the people you are doing this for.

Edited by Morodiene (05/01/13 08:56 AM)
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2074869 - 05/01/13 09:40 AM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: Nikolas]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Rostosky and everyone: I seriously hope that my posts didn't come off as insulting to dire! My point was that "S" saw something and thought something that wasn't unreasonable, due to the image quality and low frame rate.

Of course your post didnt come accross as insulting Nikolas, I understood it and understood the spirit in which it was said.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#2074874 - 05/01/13 09:46 AM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: dire tonic]
Allard Online   content

Loc: Netherlands
With online gaming, to be called a cheater by another player is kind of like a compliment. You play so well that someone thinks the only logical explanation is that you cheated. I'd take the compliment and move on.

#2074913 - 05/01/13 10:22 AM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: Nikolas]
1000 Post Club Member

Rostosky and everyone: I seriously hope that my posts didn't come off as insulting to dire!

Not at all Nikolas, on the contrary, I completely agree with you. It’s perfectly understandable that S’s suspicions were aroused. What followed from that was unfortunate.

The matter should be allowed to rest.

#2074951 - 05/01/13 11:08 AM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: dire tonic]
casinitaly Online   content

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: dire tonic
Rostosky and everyone: I seriously hope that my posts didn't come off as insulting to dire!

Not at all Nikolas, on the contrary, I completely agree with you. It’s perfectly understandable that S’s suspicions were aroused. What followed from that was unfortunate.

The matter should be allowed to rest.

If you want to close the discussion, you could notify the moderators and ask them to close the thread.

#2074955 - 05/01/13 11:16 AM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: casinitaly]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly

If you want to close the discussion, you could notify the moderators and ask them to close the thread.

Cheryl, I expect it will just expire soon anyway... no problem..

#2074971 - 05/01/13 11:38 AM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: dire tonic]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: casinitaly

Cheryl, I expect it will just expire soon anyway... no problem..

...if people stop posting. Doh! I'm part of the problem!! whistle
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2076870 - 05/03/13 09:04 PM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: dire tonic]
Zaidi Offline

Loc: Singapore
Ok the thread is now closed.

#2078052 - 05/06/13 01:52 AM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: dire tonic]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
The charge is that I recorded my piece using midi and that I sped up the result artificially by 30%.

I think that their brain is just 30% slow. Especially in regards to how I spend my time on the internet, I live by the following mantra: "If it doesn't make you money and/or it doesn't make you happy, don't do it. Life's too short."

#2078111 - 05/06/13 04:18 AM Re: I've been accused of cheating...... [Re: ElleC]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: ElleC
... I don't have to justify myself to anyone who's already made up their mind about me. ...

Absolutely true. To thine own self be true. It doesn't matter what someone else 'thinks' if it is something you 'know'.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
95 registered (Atrys, AZNpiano, alberto, Akshay, Allard, 19 invisible), 1144 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153538 Topics
2250090 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
Today at 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission