2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 47 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 46 47
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Oh, what the heck. I'll take Halling, Op. 38 no. 4.

I'll see if my eye allows me to see the music well enough.
What do some of your guys do for those of you who are visually impaired? Photocopy it larger, use a tablet screen? Maybe some ideas will help out P*D.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene

What do some of your guys do for those of you who are visually impaired? Photocopy it larger, use a tablet screen? Maybe some ideas will help out P*D.

I'm not visually impaired, just old smile I have prescription glasses that I got just for piano, one of those LED lights that clamps on the music desk, and a floor lamp that shines over my shoulder. So it's strong light and special glasses for me.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

One of the adult students at the studio I go to takes each piece, blows it up to an 11x17 (or A3 outside of US) size and pastes it onto poster board. Too much effort for me but it works well for her!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The Cliburn competition starts this week, and one of the competitors (Alexey Chernov from Russia) is playing three of the Lyric Pieces: Opus 12/2, 38/7, and 47/1. All waltzes. All fairly easy, at least for the Cliburn competition. There was quite a bit of discussion and some heated arguments over on the piano forum about the wisdom of this programming choice. It's in the Cliburn competition thread on the piano forum if you want to wade through it. They do tend to get excited over there, not like the laid-back ABF!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index

I had two surgeries for a detached retina over the past few months. My problems aren't the usual myopia or presbyopia. I have issues with tracking and binocular vision.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Sam S
The Cliburn competition starts this week, and one of the competitors (Alexey Chernov from Russia) is playing three of the Lyric Pieces: Opus 12/2, 38/7, and 47/1. All waltzes. All fairly easy, at least for the Cliburn competition. There was quite a bit of discussion and some heated arguments over on the piano forum about the wisdom of this programming choice. It's in the Cliburn competition thread on the piano forum if you want to wade through it. They do tend to get excited over there, not like the laid-back ABF!

Sam

Please say we don't have to play Ravel's Gaspard de la nuit to qualify for the Grieg recital?! wink

(That's one of this competitor's other pieces.)

Last edited by Andy Platt; 05/23/13 12:17 PM. Reason: Clarified competitor

Kawai K3

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Please say we don't have to play Ravel's Gaspard de la nuit to qualify for the Grieg recital?! wink

Nah, that's too easy!

Hi everyone and welcome Piano Dad, who has chosen op 38.4!

the updated list is as follows:

OPUS 12
No. 1, Arietta :;;;; AIMEEO.
No. 2, Vals (Waltz):;;;SARANOYYA.
No. 3, Vektersang (Watchman's song, after Macbeth):;;;CASINITALY.
No. 4, Alfedans (Elves' dance);;;;; LADYCHEN
No. 5, Folkevise (Popular melody):;;; ANDY PLATT.
No. 6, Norsk (Norwegian melod
No. 7, Albumblad (Albumleaf)
No. 8, Fedrelandssang (National song)

Book II, Op. 38 (composed 1883 except where noted; published 1883):

No. 1, Berceuse
No. 2, Folkevise (Folk-song)::::WAYNE33YRS
No. 3, Melodi (Melody)::: SWISSMS
No. 4, Halling (Dance);;;;PIANO DAD
No. 5, Springdans (Spring dance)[1]
No. 6, Elegi (Elegy);;;:RECAREDO.
No. 7, Vals (Waltz, originally composed 1866; revised 1883)
No. 8, Kanon (Canon, composed ca. 1877-8?; revised 1883)

Book III, Op. 43 (composed probably 1886; published 1886; ded. Isidor Seiss):

No. 1, Sommerfugl (Butterfly) ;;;;:BERIC.
No. 2, Ensom vandrer (Solitary traveller)
No. 3, I hjemmet (In my homeland):::ALLARD
No. 4, Liten fugl (Little bird)
No. 5, Erotikk (Erotikon);;;;: PETERWS
No. 6, Til våren (To spring)

Book IV, Op. 47 (composed 1886-8 except where noted; published 1888):

No. 1, Valse-Impromptu
No. 2, Albumblad (Albumleaf)
No. 3, Melodi (Melody);;;;IRENE ADLER
No. 4, Halling;; CARLOS88
No. 5, Melankoli (Melancholy):STUMBLER
No. 6, Springtanz (Spring dance,[1] composed 1872?; revised 1888)
No. 7, Elegi (Elegy)

Book V, Op. 54 (composed 1889-91; published 1891; Nos. 1-4 later orchestrated as Lyric Suite):

No. 1, Gjetergutt (Shepherd's boy)
No. 2, Gangar (Norwegian march)ZRTF90
No. 3, Trolltog (March of the Dwarfs);;;; Rossy: oh deary me what have I done?
No. 4, Notturno :;;; DIPSY.
No. 5, Scherzo
No. 6, Klokkeklang (Bell ringing):;;; SINOPHILIA.

Book VI, Op. 57 (composed 1890?-3; published 1893):

No. 1, Svundne dager (Vanished days) DIRE TONIC
No. 2, Gade ;;;;;;SAMS.
No. 3, Illusjon (Illusion)pianostudent88
No. 4, Geheimniss (Secret)
No. 5, Sie tanzt (She dances)
No. 6, Heimweh (Homesickness):::RAGNHILDK.

Book VII, Op. 62 (composed 1893?-5; published 1895):

No. 1, Sylfide (Sylph)
No. 2, Takk (Gratitude)
No. 3, Fransk serenade (French serenade)
No. 4, Bekken (Brooklet): NILUH01
No. 5, Drømmesyn (Phantom): PAVEL.K
No. 6, Hjemad (Homeward):

Book VIII, Op. 65 (composed 1896; published 1897):

No. 1, Fra ungdomsdagene (From early years):;; MORODIENE.
No. 2, Bondens sang (Peasant's song);;;;:WISEBUFF
No. 3, Tungsinn (Melancholy)
No. 4, Salong (Salon)
No. 5, I balladetone (Ballad);;;;:RUPAK.
No. 6, Bryllupsdag på Troldhaugen (Wedding Day at Troldhaugen):;; GANDDALF.

Book IX, Op. 68 (composed 1898-9; published 1899; Nos. 4 and 5 were orchestrated in 1899):

No. 1, Matrosenes oppsang (Sailor's song):::::ElleC
No. 2, Bestemors menuet (Grandmother's minuet)
No. 3, For dine føtter (At your feet)
No. 4, Aften på højfjellet (Evening in the mountains): LIMEFRIDAY
No. 5, Bådnlåt (At the cradle): CAREY
No. 6, Valse mélancolique (Melancholy waltz)

Book X, Op. 71 (composed and published 1901):

No. 1, Det var engang (Once upon a time)
No. 2, Sommeraften (Summer's eve)
No. 3, Småtroll (Puck);;;;;;:FARMGIRL
No. 4, Skogstillhet (Peace in the woods);;;;;;:VALENCIA.
No. 5, Halling
No. 6, Forbi (Gone)Keystring
No. 7, Etterklang (Remembrances);;;;;;:DYNOMOBT.

And if they are not taken by others , then we have second choices of:

Saranoya (12.7)
Ladychen (38.4)
Dipsy (38.7)
Beric (43.6)
Peterws (47.6)
SwissMS (47.7)
niluh01 (62.1)
PianoStudent88 (65.3)
Dire tonic (68.3)
Limefriday (71.1)
FARMGIRL (71.2)
SamS (71.3)

M
M
An update on my progress:

My 65/1 From Early Years is coming along alright. The broken octaves are becoming much smoother, but I still have to play them way slower than I'd like to be accurate. The impressionist-sounding 16th note patterns that happen at the end of both A sections is actually easier than I thought it would be, but I have to count to make sure I don't do too few or too many. Still ned to do quite a bit of tweaking, but I was hoping to have this memorized learned before the end of June so I can record it then - we'll see!

I'm also doing 71/5 unofficially in case there aren't any takers. This one has some crazy octave leaps, but it's getting there - I really need to work on the transition from the pattern in the higher octave to the repeat in the lower octave. I actually have to shift my body weight down (leaning toward the left) in order to make this transition, but it's not quite coordinated yet.

Both pieces are quite fun and enjoyable though!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
It is interesting to see which pieces have been chosen so far, and which are still open. Most Norwegians with interest in classical music know some of the Lyric Pieces, but many of them are rarely played.

Quite a few of the taken pieces belong within the group of less frequently played pieces, while some of the popular ones are still open. The pieces I'm most surprised of being left open are:

Op.12/6 "Norsk"
Op.12/7 "Albumblad" (A very nice, not too difficult piece)
Op.43/2 "Ensom vandrer" (Technically not hard and very characteristic Grieg)
Op.43/6 "Til våren" (One of the most frequently played pieces, not exeedingly difficult)
Op.68/3 "For dine føtter" (Very beautiful composition. Large hands and good pedalling is required for this piece)
Op.71/1 "Det var en gang" (Composed around a Sweedish and a Norwegian melody. Not more than moderatley hard)

Like Morodiene I have also looked a bit at 71/5 "Halling". However, I know that I'm going to be busy with many other things this summer, and I struggle with the octave leaps. So I'm not going to claim it.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I have memorised most of 54/2, which was surprisingly easy as much of it is serial work, there are just a couple of transitions left and I don't have the facility in my left hand when the main figure transfers from the right in MM17, 21 and 45-60. There are still a lot of places needing HS work for the accacc.'s and all the chord leaps but I'm very pleased with progress considering the time gone and time remaining.

Most of my attention so far has been on M1-16 HT and M27-37 HS (working the weaker fingers with some iffy stretches) and the tempo has risen quite nicely in the former without my having to think about it. I'm not yet at the stage where I've to add metronome to prevent going too fast too soon but I'm getting there.

My 'unofficial' piece is Op. 38/1 and the problems there are two against three within the hand and keeping the voices separate. M51-66 are looking awkward for memorising but again I'm well ahead of schedule on this piece. I worked M1-16 in 4 bar sections and I already have them joined together as one unit. It's repeated una corda so I'm effectively up to M32 and about half tempo now.

I'm dropping them next week while I work on M33-50, which is easy enough to play from the score, then it's on to the final 20 which will be easy enough to play but might be awkward to memorise.

I'll be taking more weeks off from these pieces than I was able to with the Mendelssohn (where I started quite late due to memorising the music before I went to the piano) - so better gestation and assimilation. Here I'm in more familiar territory and it's all looking good so far.

Richard
M
M
zrtf90: does taking time off in the middle of learning help you? For me, if I stop it's not necessarily a good thing.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
When I stop playing at the piano I try to continue away from it. I keep them up at weekends but work different groups Mon-Fri. When I get back to a piece I've often improved. If I keep at it I don't notice the improvement and get frustrated or introduce mistakes from speeding up too soon.

If I stop mental play as well I may have to re-memorise when I get back - this makes the memory stronger and shows me where the memory weaknesses are that I have to shore up.

I try to avoid pieces above my pay grade so that most of the work I do is memorising with just a little technical effort. It's nice to have a challenge but it doesn't help if you need so much time to make it sound as good as the idea in the mind.

Richard
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Seems like it's status time? I've memorized Opus 12 No 5 (Popular Melody) which was never my intention. I thought it was simple enough that I could just read it. But the structure is exceedingly simple: A-B-A-B-A; with just very minor differences between the initial theme and the subsequent versions. So it ended up memorized anyway.

I played it for my teacher the other week and she had some great suggestions which I'm incorporating. Molto legato on the melodic line - she found the pedal indications strange but they appear to be original. Pedal off on the second beat in each measure (it's in 3/4). I must admit I'm going half pedal for a lot more than that!

I think the hardest thing is going to be polishing. It is a simple piece which sets the bar very high for making it shine.

Kawai K3

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Ok, my status (Op 12, N3 Watchman's Song)

I've got the first part pretty well down pat (which means I have the ending down pat too as it is the same).

The middle part I've just barely started on. There aren't very many notes, but the combinations and hand positions and speed are going to take a LOT of work for me.
Work is too hectic and stressful right now to add piano stress so I'm just going to work on the easier parts for now and save the trickier bits for mid-June, July.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
My status then (op. 54 no. 6, Bell Ringing)

I can play it through at half tempo with the score and my notes in front of me. Now I especially need to practice the final chord sequence and the dynamics of the whole piece (which goes from ppp to ff sforzando!). I've listened to Richter play this piece and I understood a couple more things about it.

I also intend to record most of my practice sessions from now on, so I can hopefully defeat the red dot syndrome.

Oh, and I will use the metronome most of the time I think, since there is a super steady bass with just one slight ritardando at some point.

Last edited by sinophilia; 05/24/13 02:20 PM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I've pretty much got Op 71 no 7, Remembrances where I want it. It's not memorized yet. And I don't really expect it to be memorized when I play it June 5th in recital. I was lucky and got to pick relatively early on since I already had the music. However, these pieces may look fairly easy, but they are not easy!! There is much technique needed and a deep musical understanding of what is going on to play them well.

Next up will be getting a recording of it. I have one done. But I made it before I had learned to relax my hand so I could play the inner accompaniment softly. This took some doing to learn. But, I think I've got it now. Definitely a piece worth learning. Turns out it has been a good thing to be working on the Chopin a minor waltz at the same time.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What is the deadline for this little recital?

M
M
What is the deadline for this little recital?
I think mid-Sept.?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Here's the update on 71/4 Peace of the Woods. smile

I have a long way to go! This piece is tricky with all the accidentals. There are 5 sharps in the key signature: F, C, D, G and A. But then Grieg keeps switching it up through the whole piece, adding sharps or naturals here and there and everywhere. It's so beautiful but a brain strain! Today I played it all the way through for the first time (just to try). Took me 15 min! :P Mostly I've been going through each section, trying to figure out fingering.

Page 19 of 47 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 46 47

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission