Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2077165 - 05/04/13 01:37 PM Hammer Replacement
Jim Dunleavy Offline

Loc: The Original Washington (UK)
As per my Piano Restoration thread, among other jobs, I'm replacing the hammers on my piano.

I've been reading the section in Reblitz on the subject, and the advice is to leave a guide hammer on either side of each section (bass, tenor, treble) and use straight edges to align the new hammers in between.

I think it would be easier to leave more guide hammers, e.g. to leave one, remove two, leave another, remove two all the way up each section. That way, you'd always have at least one guide hammer right next to the one you're hanging. After the new ones were fitted, the guide hammers would be removed and the remaining new hammers fitted.

I realise it will be slower, but I'd rather it was slow and easy, as I'm not experienced at doing this.

Can anyone see a problem with doing it that way?

Incidentally, I'm doing a video diary on this restoration - if you're interested in seeing it search for my name and 'piano' on youtube. If it's any incentive, there's a great sequence with smoke coming off the back of a hammer after I removed it using a hot air paint stripper (I've changed to modified hair straighteners now).

Restoration Project Videos

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2077270 - 05/04/13 05:03 PM Re: Hammer Replacement [Re: Jim Dunleavy]
Eric Gloo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richfield Springs, New York
There shouldn't be any problem with that method. You can remove every other hammer, using the old hammers as guides. Once half of the new hammers are on, you can remove the rest of the old hammers...then you'll have the new hammers as guides.
Richfield Springs, New York

#2077298 - 05/04/13 05:50 PM Re: Hammer Replacement [Re: Eric Gloo]
Blues beater Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas USA
Originally Posted By: Eric Gloo
There shouldn't be any problem with that method. You can remove every other hammer, using the old hammers as guides. Once half of the new hammers are on, you can remove the rest of the old hammers...then you'll have the new hammers as guides.

Unless someone worked on it before and the old hammers are all over the place.....

#2077380 - 05/04/13 08:43 PM Re: Hammer Replacement [Re: Jim Dunleavy]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Jim Dunleavy
As per my Piano Restoration thread, among other jobs, I'm replacing the hammers on my piano.

I've been reading the section in Reblitz on the subject, and the advice is to leave a guide hammer on either side of each section (bass, tenor, treble) and use straight edges to align the new hammers in between.

I think it would be easier to leave more guide hammers, e.g. to leave one, remove two, leave another, remove two all the way up each section. That way, you'd always have at least one guide hammer right next to the one you're hanging. After the new ones were fitted, the guide hammers would be removed and the remaining new hammers fitted.

I realise it will be slower, but I'd rather it was slow and easy, as I'm not experienced at doing this.

Can anyone see a problem with doing it that way?

Incidentally, I'm doing a video diary on this restoration - if you're interested in seeing it search for my name and 'piano' on youtube. If it's any incentive, there's a great sequence with smoke coming off the back of a hammer after I removed it using a hot air paint stripper (I've changed to modified hair straighteners now).

The greater distance you have to set your guide points, the greater precision you can have in the job.

Replacing hammers on alternate notes can be somewhat ugly.

Your best job will be done factory-style installing pre-glued hammers and shanks into the butts.

At least this is my experience, FWIW.

#2077428 - 05/04/13 11:36 PM Re: Hammer Replacement [Re: Jim Dunleavy]
Dale Fox Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nor California Sacramento area
The original hammers will not be the same dimension as the new hammers making judgement on how to place the new hammers difficult at best. Leaving alternate hammers on will prevent you from using any kind of straight edge to align the new hammers. Trying to eyeball it is difficult for an experienced tech on just a few hammers.

In Reblitz's method the original guide hammers are removed after the new samples are set next to them. That way you only have to eyeball the first two hammers in each section and use the straight edge to fill in the rest.

I like Keith's advice for your circumstances.

#2077435 - 05/05/13 12:14 AM Re: Hammer Replacement [Re: Jim Dunleavy]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
You can install the hammers at the end of the section first, lining up the center of the molding with the existing hammers, getting the proper striking distance and angle of the hammer (another dimension that might vary from the originals). Then lift the remaining hammers so they are out of the line of your two initial hammers. Remove hammers and replace one at a time, using straightedges to align the hammers front and back, and moving the adjacent hammer back to ensure the hammers are at the proper angle.

This is all easier if you remove the hammer rail, and clamp it to a flat table.

#2077478 - 05/05/13 03:14 AM Re: Hammer Replacement [Re: Jim Dunleavy]
Jim Dunleavy Offline

Thanks for the replies; a lot to think about there. The difference in size etc between old an new hammers is something I didn't think of.

Maybe Reblitz knew best after all!

#2077489 - 05/05/13 04:17 AM Re: Hammer Replacement [Re: Jim Dunleavy]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
When you will have replaced 10 sets you begin to know how to do .

It is done on new selected by tone shanks. The botom of the shanks is adjusted for spacing as it may be necessary to slant them around bass and medium treble.

So dry munting is necessary before final gluing.

Gluing on original shanks can be done but is not as good.

Gluing is better done in the piano as you can see the hammer travel and how each hammer land on unison . Each new hammer travel is eyeballed , if some papering is yet not corrected at his stage (must be done at dry mount time usually) you glue the corresponding hammer a little angled so o limit shank burning later.

Shank orientation is preferred or power (front to back) or lateral stability (most common)
Not both mixed usually but I see no real reason why.

Angle is 87.5 standard but other can be find.

Longer hammers in treble may ask for a longer stroke (more loss due to displacement of the head in vertical plane)

One hamner on 2 make ugly line generally.

Strike point on all A 5-6-7 must be precise you may wish to find which ratio was used initially. Could be on c's also.

If you do not know how to prevoice your result will be less than satisfactory. Around 30 *3 needles jabs can be necessary to correcly open the tone. Knowing where to needle and how, is not described and cannot really be. The needles probe the felt, one need force, tacility and listening to needle sound. Understabding how the head shape change, understandng that needling gives tone, etc. To be done before hanging. Finished after hanging.

Edited by Olek (05/05/13 07:09 AM)

#2077491 - 05/05/13 04:40 AM Re: Hammer Replacement [Re: Jim Dunleavy]
Jim Dunleavy Offline

Thanks Olek. I'm gluing onto the old shanks to make it easier, really. I've check the action over, and there's no problem with hammer travel or orientation.

I've already decided to take the advice on this thread and use just 2 guide hammers in each section as per Reblitz.

I've already sent my samples to the hammer supplier (Heckscher & Co, who are the UK agents for Abel) and I'm letting them measure them up and select suitable replacements (Abel #100s are the closest match as far as shank drilling distance goes).

I realise that voicing will need to be done, but I'm going to cross that bridge when I come to it (hopefully with help from the techs on this forum!). I understand the basics, and have done some voicing on my old hammers, but obviously I'm a million miles from being an expert.

Edited by Jim Dunleavy (05/05/13 04:42 AM)

#2077521 - 05/05/13 07:15 AM Re: Hammer Replacement [Re: Jim Dunleavy]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
You have to locate the 90° from string plane, and decide how you glue, if the hammers are 90° at rest, their travel is correct but the stroke will be angled. If they are square to the strings they will travel in an angled position.
It is about 2 mm displacement laterally, due to the curved travel

Looking at the motion of each new hammer glued, compared with the precedent one is waht allows an accurate gluing (shanks have to be perfectly spaced and travelled)

The hammers are tested with a rule you move laterally back and forth to see if your heads line.

Hide glue allow that precise positionning as it set soon.

It can be done with the action laying flat, but you have a less good view on the wood alignment.

Glue from both sides together, to avoid bowing.

Goo luck - do your best to pre voice, it is difficult and less efficient on the glued heads

P.S. the use of the term "restoration" is abusive, you may talk of reparations, that would be more accepteable wink

Edited by Olek (05/05/13 10:24 AM)

#2077590 - 05/05/13 10:51 AM Re: Hammer Replacement [Re: Jim Dunleavy]
Jim Dunleavy Offline

Thanks again.

This is just curiosity on my part, but I wondered if anyone could identify the logo on my old hammers. It's not present on every one, just about 5 of them. It looks like a crown logo is stamped on the tail, and a word before it ends in the letters (possibly) ADE. On one hammer only, there appears to be a large J stamped into the felted end (that's the one I've shown below). Any ideas?

#2078087 - 05/06/13 02:55 AM Re: Hammer Replacement [Re: Jim Dunleavy]
Jim Dunleavy Offline

Well, I cracked on last night, and now there's just the 6 guide hammers left on. smile

The empty shanks are just about spot on 5.5mm at the top, while the hammer bores will be 5.6mm (assuming I get them pre-bored). Does that sound about right?

Also any tips on the best way to clean the remaining glue off the shanks without the risk of removing any wood(in the absence of a shank reducer)?

#2079966 - 05/09/13 06:07 PM Re: Hammer Replacement [Re: Jim Dunleavy]
Chuck Behm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boone, Iowa, USA
Hi Jim - It may be too late for this to do any good, but here's an article on Upright Hammer Replacement that may give you a few more ideas. Although you need to be a technician to buy tools from Schaff, there are websites online where you can purchase what you need. Or, of course, you can improvise (as with the glue pot - very easy to make your own). Good luck with your project piano! Chuck Behm

"The act of destruction is infinitely easier than the act of creation" - Arthur C. Clarke

#2079997 - 05/09/13 07:31 PM Re: Hammer Replacement [Re: Chuck Behm]
Blues beater Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas USA
Originally Posted By: Chuck Behm
Hi Jim - It may be too late for this to do any good, but here's an article on Upright Hammer Replacement that may give you a few more ideas. Although you need to be a technician to buy tools from Schaff, there are websites online where you can purchase what you need. Or, of course, you can improvise (as with the glue pot - very easy to make your own). Good luck with your project piano! Chuck Behm

The entire Schaff catalog is available to DIYers @ http://www.vandaking.com/piano-parts.html

If you buy a lot they will discount a little for the asking. Not to the same level as for those in the trade, I am sure, but much better than most sites that sell to the public. I have found them extremely friendly and helpful.

#2080290 - 05/10/13 11:29 AM Re: Hammer Replacement [Re: Jim Dunleavy]
Jim Dunleavy Offline

Chuck, thanks for that document - it's excellent. It's a generally similar method to the Reblitz but in far more detail and with more pics. The only major difference is they recommend fitting the hammers with the action on the bench - I would have thought that made it harder to align the hammers with the strings properly.

Don, thanks for your link as well - it can be difficult getting parts & tools if you aren't in the trade, particularly here in the UK. I'm getting the hammers and some tools from a UK trade supplier who are OK about supplying private members of the public (and who are being very helpful indeed!).

I'm going to practice my hot gluing tonight by sticking a few of the old hammers back on (I haven't got the new ones yet in any case). Wish me luck!

#2080310 - 05/10/13 12:26 PM Re: Hammer Replacement [Re: Jim Dunleavy]
BDB Online   content

You do not need to use hot glue. There are any number of wood glues that will work fine.

#2080323 - 05/10/13 12:48 PM Re: Hammer Replacement [Re: BDB]
Jim Dunleavy Offline

Originally Posted By: BDB
You do not need to use hot glue. There are any number of wood glues that will work fine.

I know I don't have to, but I'd like to. Other glues are harder to remove if you don't get it right first time, for one thing.

If my test is a complete fiasco I might change my mind, but I've mastered a lot of difficult techniques in the past, so let's see.....

#2080332 - 05/10/13 01:10 PM Re: Hammer Replacement [Re: Jim Dunleavy]
BDB Online   content

You can use the cold hide glue. That will wash off.

#2080361 - 05/10/13 02:07 PM Re: Hammer Replacement [Re: Jim Dunleavy]
Jim Dunleavy Offline

OK, but I don't have any.

I've got some hot hide glue. smile

It works, too - my test was a success! grin

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
171 registered (accordeur, AliAlkhiro, ajames, 36251, 53 invisible), 1712 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157247 Topics
2309580 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Kawai DP & RH3 action (CN35 & CN25)
by Northerner
Today at 04:50 PM
Kawai MP11 firmware v1.07
by DilEcosse
Today at 04:24 PM
all BBCode tags are broken
by beet31425
Today at 03:13 PM
Write melody contrapuntally
by kobethuy
Today at 03:03 PM
Yamaha N2 or CLP545
by Butteman
Today at 02:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission