Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2077172 - 05/04/13 01:59 PM Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX
Enthusiast Offline

Loc: UK
Hi 1st post here, I'm a beginner looking to take up the piano and would like to learn on a DP. Mostly interested in the models mentioned and this would be a long term investment also to be used by young relatives to learn on and have fun with.

Main requirements:
Key action that is closer to an AP
Great piano sound
Good selection of voices (particularly organs and strings)
Portable and not too heavy
On board speakers would be preferable

I'd be particularly interested to know if the RD700NX is worth paying extra for someone with my requirements.

Edited by Enthusiast (05/04/13 02:32 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2077183 - 05/04/13 02:38 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: Enthusiast]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Nothing there gives you everything you want, so I'll toss out a different way to go. For about the price of the 700NX you could get a Nord Electro 4D (or a 3, if you can still find one) and a Casio PX-350. The Casio gives you a nice action and on-board speakers. The Nord gives you superior piano and organ sounds. Run a MIDI cable from the Casio to the Nord, and audio cables from the Nord to the Casio, and you can play the Nord's piano sounds from the Casio keybed and hear it through the Casio speakers. The two keyboards combined weigh less than any of the single keyboards you mentioned, so the lightweight/portable aspect is addressed. And you'd have a wide range of other voices to choose from as well. For the requirements you listed, this combination will be better than any of those single boards, plus it gives you a bonus unweighted action better for playing organ from.

If you want to save some money, you could get the Roland VR-09 instead of the Nord Electro. You will be compromising a bit on the quality of the piano and organ sounds, but it will save you about $1000.

#2077199 - 05/04/13 03:06 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: anotherscott]
torhu Offline

If by "Portable and not too heavy" you mean that you want to be able to move it between rooms in your house from time to time (and not take it to gigs), all of those models are fine.

The FP-80 has a decent Hammond organ simulator, and ok string sounds. I'm sure the ES7 would be fine too, altough I've never played one. I don't think you need the RD-700NX, that's more of an all-round gigging board. Same goes for the MP6, I suppose.

Some people, including me, don't like Roland's Supernatural acoustic piano sound. So going to the shop and trying it first is a good idea.

#2077206 - 05/04/13 03:24 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: Enthusiast]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Requirement of onboard speakers leaves ES7 and Fp-80 in the race if you want some speakers that make enough noise and are of reasonable quality (for build-in speakers). Keybed's are quite alike. They both have some good EP's and Organs too, but the Roland has more sounds and options to tweak them (tone wheel simulation). The AP sound is a matter of taste. Some like Roland SN Piano, others like the Kawai Grand sound. Also there is a price difference (if you're not in the States) ; the ES7 is cheaper and by the way a tad lighter.

All-in-all I think you have to try both the ES and FP , but of you need a bigger palette of onboard sounds the Roland has more to offer , but at a higher price. The RD700NX has more AP SN sounds to choose from and is a real stage controller piano , whilst the others are NOT. Different design, different purpose. From your list, the FP80 might be a better fit, since you don't particularly list extensive master keyboard controls as a requirement.

#2077234 - 05/04/13 03:53 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: Enthusiast]
Enthusiast Offline

I'm in the UK so I'll give the sort of prices I can get:
ES7 - £1130
MP6 - £1300
FP80 - £1500
RD700NX - £2000 or £1900 for an ex display model.

Yes built in speakers would be preferable but not essential. Torhu that's exactly what I meant, occasionally it might need to be moved including up the stairs so around 25kg or less would be better.

Another Scott that's a very interesting idea however I'm not very technically minded so wouldn't have the confidence to attempt that, I would think having 2 would take up more space too so would much rather get as much as I'm after in 1 fairly compact DP.

JFP yes I'm am leaning towards the FP80. Is the key action and sound quality very similar to the NX700? More voices, effects, customizations etc would be really nice to have but I'd put more emphasis on key action and sound that is closer to an AP.

Edited by Enthusiast (05/04/13 03:55 PM)

#2077242 - 05/04/13 04:11 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: Enthusiast]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
If you live in Manchester I know somebody selling a RD700NX for 1600

#2077245 - 05/04/13 04:14 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: justpin]
Enthusiast Offline

Originally Posted By: justpin
If you live in Manchester I know somebody selling a RD700NX for 1600

I'm in London unfortunately.

#2077247 - 05/04/13 04:17 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: justpin]
torhu Offline

One thing worth mentioning: the FP-80 (and probably ES7) has got some backing band and recording features that are both fun and useful for practice. The RD-700NX is more limited in that area.

#2077268 - 05/04/13 04:58 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: Enthusiast]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Enthusiast
Another Scott that's a very interesting idea however I'm not very technically minded so wouldn't have the confidence to attempt that

If you're just playing one sound at a time, it really is as simple as I explained. Connect a MIDI cable and left/right audio cables, and you're done. 30 seconds tops. You can do more, but you don't need to do more.

Alternatively, though, if you really want everything in one, you could buy an Electro 4HP, and have the same excellent Nord piano and organ. The reason I suggested the two board approach was that you get (IMO) a better feeling action, a full 88 keys, extra sounds, an additional unweighted keybed for organ, and also the built in speakers you'd like to have. But if you're okay without the speakers, and with the feel of the 4HP keys, the 4HP will give you the basics in one box.

I would think having 2 would take up more space too

That's true. The Casio+Electro are both pretty compact for what they are, and don't take a ton of space, but would still take more space than a single board, depth-wise. (If space is an issue, note also that the RD700NX requires more width than anything else we're talking about, because of the control panel to the left of the 88 keys.)

#2077277 - 05/04/13 05:14 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: anotherscott]
Enthusiast Offline

Yes space is at a premium at the moment. It's one the reasons I haven't considered the Kwai MP10 which seems great but appears bigger and heavier than the others and lacks organ sounds.

The organ sounds are just something I'd like to play around with and am not as serious about. Something like whats on the Kurzweil SP4-8 would be fine for my needs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xK-DxPszbA#t=4m43s

#2077281 - 05/04/13 05:27 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: Enthusiast]
3000 Post Club Member

Yes space is at a premium at the moment.

That could be another reason to see whether the Nord Electro 4HP may be sufficient for you, it's very small (and light).

The organ sounds are just something I'd like to play around with and am not as serious about. Something like whats on the Kurzweil SP4-8 would be fine for my needs.

They make a version of that with speakers, the SPS4-8. It may lag your other choices in other ways, but it may still be worth consideration.

#2077309 - 05/04/13 06:11 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: anotherscott]
Enthusiast Offline

The main emphasis would be on good key action for learning on and sound quality, I would be taking piano lessons on this and would want something that lasts.

My nephew will also be learning on this and his parents will be contributing so it's something we have to agree on. All the extra sounds/effects/features that we can get too would add to the fun for us but wouldn't be the main priority. The pipe or church organ sound is something we both really like but the piano sound and feel come first.

Edited by Enthusiast (05/04/13 06:12 PM)

#2077320 - 05/04/13 06:33 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: Enthusiast]
dooq Offline

Loc: London (UK)
Hi Enthusiast.

Just out of interest where did you get that price of £1300 for the MP6? That's very high my friend.

I just ordered an MP6 on Friday and didn't pay anywhere near that. I was sitting on the fence a bit and waiting to save more funds for my MP. However, the deal I got on friday was so good I couldn't miss out on this opportunity.

The fact that I phoned the shop and haggled with them is what got me my price. I also live in London and am in a similar predicament as you.

Took piano lessons as a child and now starting back again in my mid 40's.

Tinkered on the Roland FP7 and found the action a little too light for my liking. Found the MP6 action to be a little heavy but loved it as, to me, this is how an AP should feel.

Just my 2 cents (or 2 pence!)

#2077323 - 05/04/13 06:37 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: Enthusiast]
3000 Post Club Member

the piano sound and feel come first.

Best feel (roughly within your price range) is generally considered Kawai MP10/VPC, Yamaha CP5, Roland FP-80/RD-700NX/FP-7F. Which isn't to say that everyone likes all of those. I'd also put the new Casios up there.

But when it comes to the sound of the MP10, CP5, or Roland SuperNatural, there's no consensus there. Just pick what you like.

Though I understand that size/weight constraints might rule out the MP10.

Would you consider using a laptop for its sounds? Then you could just pick the action you like.

#2077329 - 05/04/13 06:53 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: Enthusiast]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
In terms of Kawai, the ES7 has the superior keyboard action (3 sensor), and built-in speakers, however features a smaller number of sounds compared to the MP6.

I've yet to try the FP-80, however the FP-7F was a good board (albeit a little over-simplified). It offers more sounds than the ES7 too.

MP10 is heavier than the ES7 and MP6, largely due to the wooden keys. But, in terms of size it's not *that* much larger. However, it lacks speakers, and has a sound-set that emphasises quality over quantity, so may miss-out in terms the 'fun' factory.

Of course, there's also the VPC1 - arguably the most realistic keyboard action of all of the boards, but it lacks any built-in sounds, and I'm not sure if you'd be willing to complicate matters be using computer-based sound exclusively.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2077383 - 05/04/13 08:52 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: dooq]
Enthusiast Offline

Hi Dooq, I didn't really shop around much when putting those prices up. The MP6 price was from Rose Morris in Denmark street, however I've just now seen it at £1160 elsewhere. Not sure how that compares to what you got it for. I've only had keyboard lessons before for a year and that was when I was 12. I'm 33 next month and still have that old Yamaha keyboard to play on for now. I started violin last year so a piano would be my 2nd instrument.

anotherscott I don't have a laptop only a great big desktop PC which is upstairs whereas the DP would be downstairs in the living room. I am intrigued by the idea of using software to add to or improve sound but have no idea how it works. Is there a beginners guide somewhere? As for the MP10 I would probably put up with the weight issue (as it seems amazing) but ideally I'd like to have those organ sounds in which it seems to lack.

Kwai James I didn't realize there was any difference between the ES7 and MP6 in terms of key action, that with the speakers would put it above the MP6 for me. The ES7 does at least have the main sounds I'd want and is the cheapest. I also really like the way it looks on it's stand with 3 pedals. Hopefully it can be detached quickly and easily.

VPC1 is an interesting one I hadn't heard of before but saw an add for it just now.
http://www.thepianoman.ltd.uk/kawai-vpc1-digital-piano.php
Does it require a lot of know how to use it and is it possible to get all sorts of effects and instrument sounds in there?

#2077386 - 05/04/13 09:08 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: Enthusiast]
3000 Post Club Member

As for the MP10 I would probably put up with the weight issue (as it seems amazing) but ideally I'd like to have those organ sounds in which it seems to lack.

Any chance you have an iPad? You can get some nice organ sounds on that, which you can trigger from whatever piano you get. Simple and cheap.

#2077388 - 05/04/13 09:14 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: Enthusiast]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Kwai James I didn't realize there was any difference between the ES7 and MP6 in terms of key action...

Yes, the MP6 uses the 'RH' action, the ES7 uses the 'RHII' action. In terms of mechanism they're more or less identical. However, the 'RHII' action is more modern and features triple-sensor key detection for improved responsiveness.

...that with the speakers would put it above the MP6 for me. The ES7 does at least have the main sounds I'd want and is the cheapest. I also really like the way it looks on it's stand with 3 pedals. Hopefully it can be detached quickly and easily.

Yes, there are some thumbscrews underneath - it's pretty straight-forward.

VPC1 is an interesting one I hadn't heard of before but saw an add for it just now.

It's essentially an MP10 with an improved action (again triple-sensor), but without any sound generating hardware. It's something of a niche board, but for folks that use piano software on their Mac/PC, there's nothing out there that can touch it.

Does it require a lot of know how to use it and is it possible to get all sorts of effects and instrument sounds in there?

Well, it requires a reasonably powerful computer, software, and a degree of knowledge. But once everything is up and running, it's reasonably easy to use and offers far greater flexibility than a hardware digital piano.

More info here: www.kawaivpc.com

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2077688 - 05/05/13 02:23 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: anotherscott]
Enthusiast Offline

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
As for the MP10 I would probably put up with the weight issue (as it seems amazing) but ideally I'd like to have those organ sounds in which it seems to lack.

Any chance you have an iPad? You can get some nice organ sounds on that, which you can trigger from whatever piano you get. Simple and cheap.

My nephew who would be the other main user does. He uses it to play his favourite tracks from synthesia on our keyboard. How would it work in terms of getting extra sounds on a DP?

Kwai James thanks for that link. It might end up being too much inconvenience and work for someone not used to doing that sort of thing. I do have a powerful PC with an average soundcard but I guess it would need to be connected all the time which wouldn't be convenient.

I need to go into some more shops now and try them all out. I do wonder if the 700NX as mentioned in another thread is due a successor this year?

#2077700 - 05/05/13 02:52 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: Enthusiast]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
If you plan on recording it solo, then I'd recommend anything Roland with SN piano voices, particularly the "Studio Grand" in the RD-700NX. Almost everything else you might choose from is looped and probably also stretched to some degree. Roland PHAIII keys are pretty nice too.

The NX can layer 4 voices, so it can directly do the church organ voices described in this excellent FP-7F thread. But it will take some doing on your part, and the reverb isn't that great. The strings aren't anything to write home about, but the harpsichord is OK. Given the extra length, the weight, and the strange form factor it's not very portable. And it doesn't have a music rest or built-in speakers (I'd recommend you use a good pair of headphones with it, or any DP you get actually).

You might try a Yamaha P-105 and see if that's enough for you. It is stretched and looped and has lame sympathetic resonance, but it is quite portable and has a music rest and built-in speakers.

#2077707 - 05/05/13 03:01 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: Enthusiast]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

"I do wonder if the 700NX as mentioned in another thread is due a successor this year?"

There's always something new on the horizon; often when you're waiting and waiting and... to get the latest and greatest, you end up with nothing at all. At some point you have to decide what fits your needs at this moment and go for it and don't look back (or on the internet for half a year; always painfull when your new gear is on EOL sale a week after your purchase).

If the 700NX got your attention and your afraid of an RD8xx at some point , you might consider a second hand RD700NX in good condition for a nice price. In that way it will be less of a headache when something new pops up a month later, cause it will cost considerably more anyway.

IMHO the replacement rate of boards like the MP and RD series has slowed down , probably due to the economic crisis. Therefore it is very hard to predict when the next generation will be released (not so steady intervals as in the past). Perhaps they're even sitting on a big pile of stock that first has to be cleared out, which goes very slow I guess these days...Talking expensive high end gear => slow-movers...

#2077734 - 05/05/13 03:39 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: Enthusiast]
3000 Post Club Member

My nephew who would be the other main user does. He uses it to play his favourite tracks from synthesia on our keyboard. How would it work in terms of getting extra sounds on a DP?

Since you're looking for pipe organ sounds you can start with this free app:
"Jeux d'orgues Mini"
Since it sounds like you already have the iPad hooked up to your keyboard, you're pretty much there. Just launch the app and start playing.
There are lots of other apps. If you're looking for more of a Hammond drawbar organ, for example, Garageband does a nice job for $5.

#2077747 - 05/05/13 03:56 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: Enthusiast]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

USB cable, then identify the keyboard as the controller.

Then go into a song any song change the instruments, then pause the song, what you press now comes out via synthesia over to your DP speakers.

Thats it, I've found I can pretty much get any midi and get sythesia to play a demo of it and it comes out on the DP speakers.

I don't use synthesia much anymore tbh, except when I see some sheet music I am sure isn't right.

#2077771 - 05/05/13 04:52 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: Enthusiast]
torhu Offline

I think several people that have replied in this thread need to read the first post again, specifically this part:

Hi 1st post here, I'm a beginner looking to take up the piano and would like to learn on a DP. Mostly interested in the models mentioned and this would be a long term investment also to be used by young relatives to learn on and have fun with.

This is not someone looking for professional gigging setup, or the best possible anything at all. And he probably doesn't want multiple boards or anything as complicated as software instruments (not from the outset, anyway). He just wants something that will work for him and cover his needs. His needs, not yours. Just a friendly reminder.

#2077777 - 05/05/13 05:00 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: torhu]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: torhu
He just wants something that will work for him and cover his needs. His needs, not yours.

The problem is that his 5 listed requirements are not the easiest combination to find in a single self-contained board. Whether beginner or not, if those are the things you want, you either have to compromise or consider some out-of-the-box solutions. So we're just providing options.

#2077785 - 05/05/13 05:10 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: Enthusiast]
dooq Offline

Loc: London (UK)
Hi Dooq, I didn't really shop around much when putting those prices up. The MP6 price was from Rose Morris in Denmark street, however I've just now seen it at £1160 elsewhere. Not sure how that compares to what you got it for. I've only had keyboard lessons before for a year and that was when I was 12. I'm 33 next month and still have that old Yamaha keyboard to play on for now. I started violin last year so a piano would be my 2nd instrument.

Well firstly I noticed Bonners Music (www.bonnersmusic.co.uk) had the best online price. Up until then Thomann were the lowest at £1,170. However, since it's a Bank Holiday here in the uk I thought I'd check for any holiday discounts that might be floating around.

After a few unsuccessful searches on Google and Bonners Twitter feed I decided to call them direct & ask a salesperson for a discount (01323 639 335).

I literally said "what's your lowest price". I had to wait about 2 or 3 minutes (felt longer!) then the guy came back with £1,075. That did it for me and I bought it on the spot. I asked if the MP was brand new and unopened which he confirmed (I was a little paranoid as that price was so low!).

So I'll have by DP on Tuesday. Might be worth trying this yourself regardless of what DP you finally go with.

#2077889 - 05/05/13 08:53 PM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: anotherscott]
Enthusiast Offline

Since you're looking for pipe organ sounds you can start with this free app:
"Jeux d'orgues Mini"
Since it sounds like you already have the iPad hooked up to your keyboard, you're pretty much there. Just launch the app and start playing.
There are lots of other apps. If you're looking for more of a Hammond drawbar organ, for example, Garageband does a nice job for $5.

The keyboard I have is a Yamaha PSR300 which is over 20 years old but does have a midi input which I never knew how to use before. We haven't actually connected the ipad to it nor used Synthesia directly just used videos from YT of it. This keyboard is something I'd like to try experimenting on though. Need the right sort of wire first (usb to midi?).

Dewster that's some interesting info in that link, opening my eyes to what you can do if your DP has a lot of features like the NX and fp7f.
I really like this vid for instance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEDA2ilgq1M

Dooq I may give that site a try when I've decided, the price you got for the MP6 seems really good. They may be particularly keen to give me a deal if I get accessories with the DP.

If I were to go for the NX what are good speakers for that for a living room? I'd need to take that cost into account before deciding. The headphones I have are Sennheiser HD 558.

#2078117 - 05/06/13 05:06 AM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: Enthusiast]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Seriously though don't use synthesia too much. I used it for a while and learnt some songs by rote, once I started learning properly it opened up so much more.

You can use synthesia for a year and only be able to play what it presents you. Or you can learn properly and have a bloody good crack at any sheet music put in front of you.

#2078135 - 05/06/13 06:13 AM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: Enthusiast]
Cmin Offline

Loc: Swabia
Just get the FP-80 or the ES7. You'll be very happy with one of those. Both are very well build and will give you many years of enjoyment. If you want you can always still hook up a computer to it. But, from what I understand, all you want is something simple and good with built in speakers. Just press the on button and play.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, HP 3000s, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert A-200 active monitors

#2078159 - 05/06/13 07:54 AM Re: Kwai ES7, MP6, Roland FP-80 or RD700NX [Re: JFP]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JFP
Requirement of onboard speakers leaves ES7 and Fp-80 in the race if you want some speakers that make enough noise and are of reasonable quality (for build-in speakers). Keybed's are quite alike. They both have some good EP's and Organs too, but the Roland has more sounds and options to tweak them (tone wheel simulation). The AP sound is a matter of taste. Some like Roland SN Piano, others like the Kawai Grand sound. Also there is a price difference (if you're not in the States) ; the ES7 is cheaper and by the way a tad lighter.

All-in-all I think you have to try both the ES and FP , but of you need a bigger palette of onboard sounds the Roland has more to offer , but at a higher price. The RD700NX has more AP SN sounds to choose from and is a real stage controller piano , whilst the others are NOT. Different design, different purpose. From your list, the FP80 might be a better fit, since you don't particularly list extensive master keyboard controls as a requirement.

So we're back at the beginning. The only reason NX keeps on coming up is because Enthusiast keeps on bringing the NX back in the mix again and again. First advice of most posters (like myself) was indeed go for the FP or ES. In other words Enthusiast may have to get back to the drawing board and decide what he 'really' wants from a board, stick to that and take a pick. ES/FP and NX different kind of breed , different purpose, different setup (external speakers etc); you'll have to make a choice at some point...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
10/21/14 12:53 PM
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
10/21/14 11:18 AM
Who's Online
141 registered (ajames, accordeur, A Guy, 33 invisible), 1851 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158401 Topics
2326108 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission