Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#2077036 - 05/04/13 07:51 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
I need to get a storage cartridge for my keyboard. Guy I bought it from didn't have it.
I tried recording on Cantabile (Ivory). Always wanted to include the metronome. I don't know why? I deleted four copies after failing to disable the metronome. Then it didn't record anything. Then it said: "This version of Cantabile will only record twice.".... ????? So I'm not counting on much from this Ivory Cantabile for recording. It's goofy.
I'm thinking about loading the DAW that was included with my Audiobox. Run the Ivory on it. That DAW is a cut down basic version also. I hope it might work?

I need a Mac. Spent too many years fooling around with software on PC's. It always almost does what I want.

I should just order a Tascam handheld recorder. I can use it for more. And record the resultant piano sound that I hear from the speakers. I hate to spend more money now. Just bought this midi controller (keyboard). Gee... I'm going to Denver on the 25th to see a play.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2077189 - 05/04/13 02:46 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Ron -
I can't help you with the recording of your keyboard.. but I am looking forward to hearing your arrangement!

#2077996 - 05/06/13 12:04 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
rnaple Offline

Thank you for the suggestions, Earlofmar. Also thank you Aimee.
Don't want to muck up this thread talking about my equipment.
I should come up with something soon.

#2078900 - 05/07/13 04:39 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Just bumping this up! This thread should have front page status for a while longer!

I hope some more folks will be encouraged to post their first recordings soon!

#2078932 - 05/07/13 05:39 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Most definitely - please please, if you have never posted your playing before - audio or video - here is the place. We would love to listen, even if you don't think it is very good, let's get it out there.

#2079541 - 05/08/13 10:37 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: casinitaly]
scorpio Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Just bumping this up! This thread should have front page status for a while longer!

I hope some more folks will be encouraged to post their first recordings soon!

I completely agree. I think everyone should feel welcome and comfortable to post their first recording. But I truly wish there were more early beginner postings.

Yamaha P-155

#2079860 - 05/09/13 02:13 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    AimeeO Offline

Thanks for bumping.. been busy finishing up the yard the past few days!

I wish there were some early beginner recordings too. We really don't get to see enough of those.

#2080016 - 05/09/13 08:27 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    dagdvm Offline

Loc: Virginia
    I have just ordered some connecting cables that I think I need to record from my keyboard, then I will try to download, so it may take a while, but the intention is there...

And I am certainly a newbie, struggling through Alfred's #1 book without a teacher and loving it. I have just started on "Scarborough Fair".

Anne (dagdvm)

#2080035 - 05/09/13 09:20 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    1000 Post Club Member

Good luck with the recording dagdvm looking forward to hearing Scarbough Fair once you have sorted your technical problem.

#2081486 - 05/12/13 05:29 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    rnaple Offline

I'll definitely have my piece up by next weekend. My new recorder is sitting in someone's apartment. Maybe in the office. USPS delivered it Saturday. Office closed sat. Someone accepts this stuff. Will get it tomorrow; Monday.

I bought a Tascam DR05 handheld digital recorder. I think it is a smart choice. I think better than the Zooms. And you'll be able to hear just what I hear. (you might not want to...doh!) I got a pretty good setup. Pretty good sound.

#2081492 - 05/12/13 05:45 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    1000 Post Club Member

looking forward to hearing it rnaple

#2081669 - 05/13/13 02:30 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    AnatolyV Offline

This is mine, a recording of Aram Khachaturian's Andantino:

https://soundcloud.com/avorobey/andantino

It's not polished or anything, just a version I recorded today while practicing this piece. It's also played without the pedal (I can't do it well with pedal... yet?). And too slow. And the ornaments at the end are wrong. And so on and so on... But I've been reading these forums for so long and wanted to post something and held myself back for so long. This thread is a wonderful idea.

I'm in my thirties, have been taking lessons for 1.5 years, no musical history prior to that, and this was recorded on a digital Yamaha CLP-440. There's sheet music for this piece here: http://www.balandin.net/Miditeka/Sheets/Khachaturyan.Andantino.pdf. If you don't know it, search for it on Youtube, there're recordings there that do this wonderful piece justice.

Grateful for any opinions and criticism.

(can't believe I finally did this!)

Edited by AnatolyV (05/13/13 05:34 AM)

#2081678 - 05/13/13 02:47 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    jotur Online   blank
    5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
    AnatolyV - congratulations on your recording. I didn't find it too slow, perhaps because it suited perfectly the time of the day (well, night, it's 1:00 AM) It's quite soothing, and I was just getting ready to turn off the computer and go to sleep, and it was really a quite lovely way to end the day. Thanks for posting.

Cathy

#2081700 - 05/13/13 03:47 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AnatolyV]
    1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AnatolyV

(can't believe I finally did this!)

Glad you did

AnatolyV that was wonderful to listen too, a beautiful piece and despite being unpolished you pulled it off. There is no point in listening to other youtube versions because you own this piece now.

#2081724 - 05/13/13 05:34 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
    Hi AnatolyV --- congratulations on taking the plunge.

As beginners we know that there's always room for improvement - what you've got going for you here is a nice delicacy, a nice feel for the voice of the piece.

I agree with Jotur/Cathy - it is very soothing.
    Maybe you'll be interested in submitting a more polished version to the next ABF recital!

#2081759 - 05/13/13 08:15 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AnatolyV]
    Ragdoll Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
    Quote:

https://soundcloud.com/avorobey/andantino

It's not polished or anything, just a version I recorded today while practicing this piece. It's also played without the pedal (I can't do it well with pedal... yet?). And too slow. And the ornaments at the end are wrong. And so on and so on...

Congratulations AnatolyV, we all think these things about our pieces, but this is a good thing that you recognize the things that need a polishing up. I thought you did a very nice job with this and you chased away that reluctance to post it publicly. Well done! smile

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2081843 - 05/13/13 11:08 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    dynamobt Online   content
    500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
    Nicely done AnatolyV!!! What a pretty piece!

#2081857 - 05/13/13 11:38 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
    AnatolyV - that was nicely played. lovely piece.

#2081906 - 05/13/13 01:12 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    AimeeO Offline

Dagdvm: Excited to hear it! Congrats on Scarborough Fair.. that one gave me fits for whatever reason.

AnatolyV: That's a pretty piece, and a great first offering. I'm really enjoyed listening to it. Like others said, most of us have issues with our final product. I have yet to post anything without a obvious fumble or hesitation grin So I'm jealous that on your first try it sounds like you hit every note correctly and you had a nice, even steady tempo - and with emotion. Great job! Hopefully we will hear you in recitals soon! Why not submit it in the quarterly recital, so those who may not check here can hear it?

#2081920 - 05/13/13 01:42 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    PianoStudent88 Online   content
    3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
    AnatolyV, thank you for posting your playing of the Andantino. I enjoyed it. I've played this piece myself, and it was like listening to an old friend, and yet hearing more carefully because I could just listen to your recording instead of focusing on also playing it. One thing among many that you do really well is, you have a nice balance between the hands, with the LH playing a subdued gentle accompaniment and the RH melody floating clearly above it. Well done.

#2082819 - 05/14/13 11:52 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    rnaple Offline

Gee Anatoly...that was great for a first. Nice song.

My situation has turned to disaster. Started with computer not recognizing the recorder. Had work done online. Now the Ivory won't work either. Dislike these problems. Weighing choices now.
    At least I can run my midi controller. With the Korg Synthesizer.
    I also learned some from the recording. I was too much dynamic range. Didn't sound good. Toned it down some. Sounding much better. Interesting how it is easier to criticise when listening to the recording.
    I'll get it up someday.

#2083223 - 05/15/13 05:17 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    AnatolyV Offline

Thanks so much for your kind words, everyone!

I've decided to ask my teacher to help me learn this piece with pedal, and generally improve my playing of it. She'd previously said she thought it's played its part and I should move on, but while I'm sure she knows better what I should be studying, I just like this piece too much and really, really want to polish it, even if I have to find extra time to practice on it. Maybe I'll bring it yet to a monthly thread or a quarterly recital...

Thanks again for your wonderful encouragement,
    Anatoly

#2083237 - 05/15/13 05:37 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    TwoSnowflakes Online   blank
    1000 Post Club Member

Goodness! Everybody is doing such a good job! And what guts. I am impressed. I might have to see if I can muster the courage to post something, even if it's just my scales. I have never recorded myself play anything, let alone for anybody to hear it who isn't in my immediate family, haha!

Great job, everyone!
    With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2083270 - 05/15/13 06:44 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
    1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TwoSnowflakes
    Goodness! Everybody is doing such a good job! And what guts. I am impressed. I might have to see if I can muster the courage to post something, even if it's just my scales. I have never recorded myself play anything, let alone for anybody to hear it who isn't in my immediate family, haha!

Great job, everyone!

TwoSnowflakes the purpose of this thread is so you don't have to muster too much courage. It is a safe place for that very first recording even if it is scales (played well I quite enjoy scales......if only I could play them well). So go on give it a crack. I also think it is good to have a recording of yourself (indeed several) to let your future self hear how you have progressed.

#2083279 - 05/15/13 07:17 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    dynamobt Online   content
    500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
    If scales are what you are praticing, and you are proud of the result, Have At It!!!! The trick for me was to get "something" recorded. The hard part was turning the recoder to ON!!! I was just sort of figuing thngs out as I went, and no one was more surprised I had turned the recorder than I was!!! Since that first time it's gotten easier.

So, just record something. Chords! Scales!! Anything!!! It's an accomplishment when you get it done!!!!

#2083349 - 05/15/13 10:29 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    AimeeO Offline

+1 to what Earolmar and dynamobt said. And you learn soooo much about your playing when you record. I want to hear your scales, TwoSnowflakes smile

#2083792 - 05/16/13 06:30 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    1000 Post Club Member

Ha, if the threshold is something I'm proud of, well, then I'm sorry to say nothing is really filling me with pride (errors, errors, ERRORS!), but I can certainly record something to show what I'm working on, and maybe both a) overcome my extreme fright of playing while someone else is listening**, and b) at least share where I'm starting from.

So maybe I'll record the piece I'm working on now, even though there are several errors I haven't really fixed. Or, heck, maybe you guys are going to get some scales. Hee.

**yes, I recognize that recording myself is probably easier since I can do it while nobody is watching, but I just want to stop having such performance anxiety! I swear, if anybody is standing behind me, simply wanting to see what I'm playing, I utterly freeze. Everything tenses up and then I can't play something I could play not five minutes before.
    With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2083864 - 05/16/13 10:49 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
    AimeeO Offline

Originally Posted By: TwoSnowflakes
    Ha, if the threshold is something I'm proud of, well, then I'm sorry to say nothing is really filling me with pride (errors, errors, ERRORS!), but I can certainly record something to show what I'm working on, and maybe both a) overcome my extreme fright of playing while someone else is listening**, and b) at least share where I'm starting from.

So maybe I'll record the piece I'm working on now, even though there are several errors I haven't really fixed. Or, heck, maybe you guys are going to get some scales. Hee.

**yes, I recognize that recording myself is probably easier since I can do it while nobody is watching, but I just want to stop having such performance anxiety! I swear, if anybody is standing behind me, simply wanting to see what I'm playing, I utterly freeze. Everything tenses up and then I can't play something I could play not five minutes before.

I have the same problem. You'd think I was playing at Carnegie Hall or something. My recital piece is a good example - it starts out bumpy, because I'm freaking out anticipating a mistake, and then, towards the end, I screwed up because I hadn't screwed up a certain section that bad and was nervous about finishing cleanly. That was the same for half the takes. Another 1/4th are because I can't remember if I played the repeat, and the remainder are because I'm frustrated and tense.

I also tense up and screw up if I think my neighbors can hear me!

But it really is getting easier. And no one has thrown me off here for it yet smile

Edited by AimeeO (05/16/13 10:50 PM)

#2084120 - 05/17/13 11:24 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    1000 Post Club Member

Who wants to hear scales??? Yes, boooring, but I can't tell you how frightened I am just to put this up. Yikes. With age does not come courage, I guess. And I only just started back three weeks ago after a 25 year hiatus.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89452048/IMG_2076_small.m4v

#2084188 - 05/17/13 01:57 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    PianoStudent88 Online   content
    3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
    Two Snowflakes, you are waaaaay too hard on yourself. You scales are very well played: even, fast, consistent. Double thirds are hard. (Not to say that the others are easy!)

Thank you for posting. You showed me a picture and soundscape of what to try for. I hope to hear more of your playing in the monthly Cafe, the quarterly Beginners and Beyond Recital, and/or the Themed Recitals (currently soliciting players for Grieg's Lyric Pieces).

Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
    What's Hot!!
    European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
    -------------------
    75,000 Members and Growing!
    -------------------
    HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
    -------------------
    Sharing is Caring!
    About the Buttons
    -------------------
    Forums Rules & Help
    -------------------
    ADVERTISE
    on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
    Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
    Seiler Pianos
    (ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
    Purely Piano Practice Software
    (ad) Piano Guide Lessons
    Piano Guide Lessons
    (ad) HAILUN Pianos
    Hailun Pianos - Click for More
    Sheet Music
    (PW is an affiliate)
    Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
    (125ad) Dampp Chaser
    Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
    (ad) Lindeblad Piano
    Lindeblad Piano Restoration
    Who's Online
    137 registered (AmateurBob, ando, 36251, accordeur, 42 invisible), 1559 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Stats
    75385 Members
    42 Forums
    155837 Topics
    2288326 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
    New Topics - Multiple Forums
    How far to go?
    by ChopinFan66
    Today at 05:00 PM
    "Canned" Accompanyments like Music Minus One?
    by Kojak
    Today at 04:16 PM
    grand care
    by johnfin
    Today at 03:18 PM
    Yamaha U5 or Charles Walter 1520 console
    by Kai C
    Today at 02:55 PM
    Weinbach 170 or 192, anybody got any advice?
    by Sam4
    Today at 02:49 PM
    (ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
    | Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
    | Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
    | |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
    No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission