Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2077410 - 05/04/13 10:45 PM When is it time to move on to the next song?
pianotimo Offline

I've been stuck on Blow the Man Down for the past two weeks. Finally, I can play it properly. However, I'm still feeling reluctant to even turn the page because I don't feel like I'm confident enough.

Here's the recording, don't mind the last note past 0:21
http://soundcloud.com/pianotimo/blow-the-man-down

Edited by pianotimo (05/05/13 12:35 PM)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2077419 - 05/04/13 11:14 PM Re: When is it time to move on to the next song? [Re: pianotimo]
mattroilanh_tt Offline

I think you should move to next piece, and turn back to review Blow the Man Down later ^^
  • Suzuki Piano School Volume 1 & 2

Start Date: 11/01/2013

#2077438 - 05/05/13 12:18 AM Re: When is it time to move on to the next song? [Re: pianotimo]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
It's hard to know when you are starting out. Well, if someone sat down and asked you to play it for him or her, would you feel you are at the point where it is presentable? How many mistakes would you make if you were to play it under pressure?

We all have different standards for moving on, and even if you had a teacher, your teacher may have different expectations from his or her students depending on how the teacher gauges the student's willingness to do a better job before moving on.

I would suggest you record your performance, then listen to it yourself. If you are happy with the result, then you could move on. Or for extra credit you might even post it here and ask others for feedback.

#2077446 - 05/05/13 12:44 AM Re: When is it time to move on to the next song? [Re: pianotimo]
mattroilanh_tt Offline

Another way to go is keep practicing "Blow the Man Down" 5-10' everyday another week. In the mean time, find some other pieces beside Alfred to learn.

For your reference, I have 2 method books to study. Whenever I feel difficult to move on one book, I set it aside and practice other book.
  • Suzuki Piano School Volume 1 & 2

Start Date: 11/01/2013

#2077462 - 05/05/13 02:03 AM Re: When is it time to move on to the next song? [Re: pianotimo]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I usually keep on it till I hear no big progress anymore and both I and my teacher are satisfied.

I had one case where my teacher was satisfied but I not so we kept at it.

Two weeks? You like the piece? Just keep on it a bit longer. I sometimes work for months on a piece.

#2077467 - 05/05/13 02:18 AM Re: When is it time to move on to the next song? [Re: pianotimo]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
If you have a teacher, this is easy: you move on when he/she tells you to.

Without a teacher, it's a little more tricky, but I'd say you've gotten good advice above: if you can record it and be satisfied with the result of that recording, you can confidently move on.

Or, you can do something in-between. I recently made a recording of one of my Burgmüller pieces for the May piano bar. It wasn't bad, but wasn't good either. So I'm keeping the piece on my plate ... just play through it once or twice every day at a tempo that is slightly below what I can do under 'optimal circumstances'. If I make a mistake, I slow it down and play again. If I get it right, I speed it up, and that becomes my new 'standard' tempo.

I won't be playing that piece in front of my teacher any more. But I will keep playing it until I find that the tempo is at the maximum it's going to get (read: when I can't speed up any more without always making a mistake somewhere).

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2077477 - 05/05/13 03:00 AM Re: When is it time to move on to the next song? [Re: pianotimo]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
It depends on what you want from a piece. If you're polishing it for performance, say for an AFB recital, stay with it until you have it good enough to record or play for company. If you're learning it for technique or just to scratch an itch, I'd say move on when you no longer felt challenged.

#2077494 - 05/05/13 04:54 AM Re: When is it time to move on to the next song? [Re: pianotimo]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
This has been discussed a lot in the threads dedicated to the Alfred's books. I don't think you should stop on a single piece for long (certainly not for two weeks) and I suggest working on 2 or 3 pieces at a time. IMHO, most songs in book 1 are simply not worth learning thoroughly.

#2077546 - 05/05/13 08:30 AM Re: When is it time to move on to the next song? [Re: pianotimo]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: pianotimo
I've been stuck on Blow the Man Down for the past two weeks. Finally, I can play it properly. However, I'm still feeling reluctant to even turn the page because I don't feel like I'm confident enough.

How are you practicing? Not length of time, but what are you doing with your time?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2077561 - 05/05/13 09:34 AM Re: When is it time to move on to the next song? [Re: pianotimo]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
There is a purpose to learning a song. Something there for you to learn. Have you learned it?

#2077624 - 05/05/13 12:16 PM Re: When is it time to move on to the next song? [Re: sinophilia]
pianotimo Offline

Well, it hasn't been taking me two weeks to learn the song. I've been busy the past two weeks so whatever time I can find to play on the piano (some days 10 minutes, other days none), I've been playing this song.

#2077628 - 05/05/13 12:17 PM Re: When is it time to move on to the next song? [Re: Morodiene]
pianotimo Offline

I usually run through the song a few times and when I play it perfectly, I play it some more to make sure that I can actually play it. I've actually been playing it perfectly fine (IMO) for the past week. Other than that, I do some Hanon and browse PianoForum smile

I'll upload the audio to SoundCloud.

#2077638 - 05/05/13 12:35 PM Re: When is it time to move on to the next song? [Re: pianotimo]
pianotimo Offline

Here's the recording, don't mind the last note past 0:21
http://soundcloud.com/pianotimo/blow-the-man-down

#2077645 - 05/05/13 12:43 PM Re: When is it time to move on to the next song? [Re: pianotimo]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
What I meant is, you must have learned the technique that the song was meant to teach, maybe it's a particular kind of bass line, specific chords, a specific tempo, whatever... These are exercises after all. So you move on to the next one, and if you want to polish a certain piece you can still play it a couple of times every day to keep it fresh. If you stop too much on a single song you're wasting time, because your ultimate goal is not to be able to play that specific silly song, but just to learn something from it. Of course time spent playing is never wasted, but if you don't have much time, you might want to consider this.

Well, this has been my experience with the Alfred's books, but everybody's different!

#2077647 - 05/05/13 12:46 PM Re: When is it time to move on to the next song? [Re: sinophilia]
pianotimo Offline

Thanks for your insight. I think I understand now smile

#2077824 - 05/05/13 06:25 PM Re: When is it time to move on to the next song? [Re: pianotimo]
pianotimo Offline

Anyone listen to it and can give me feedback?

#2077894 - 05/05/13 09:01 PM Re: When is it time to move on to the next song? [Re: pianotimo]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
pianotimo, I only have been playing for almost six months so can give you another learners perspective.

Listened to your piece about five times now and very impressed with the speed and clarity which you have perfected (also loved the birds chirping in the background).

I personally think the waltz is quite tricky perhaps it is because as learners it is one of the first rhythms along with broken chords we are going to use and we are still struggling with hand independence at a fundamental level. Having said that it is time for you to move on and "turn that page" you have learned enough from this song. At this stage it is not worth our time to polish and perfect a piece unless for a recital or we really love it. Much better to have learned what we need from the piece and move onto something else, for there are other challenges ahead. You may also find, as I do, that learning something harder (in my case I am struggling with polyphonic pieces) gives you another perspective on what is hard. You will one day look back on “Blow the Man Down” and wonder what ever troubled you about it.

Edited by earlofmar (05/05/13 09:03 PM)

#2078518 - 05/06/13 07:35 PM Re: When is it time to move on to the next song? [Re: earlofmar]
pianotimo Offline

I didn't even notice this birds! Anyways, I moved on smile I will say that this song is out of order, as the pages afterwards are much easier.

#2078524 - 05/06/13 07:42 PM Re: When is it time to move on to the next song? [Re: pianotimo]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
My answer to the original question is this: when you get bored to the point that you're no longer focusing on what you should be doing, and/or when you've learned the piece to the level you want to learn it. smile

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
118 registered (Alux, anotherscott, albumblatter, AndrewJCW, 36251, 34 invisible), 1485 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75843 Members
42 Forums
156798 Topics
2303963 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
Today at 02:00 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
Today at 01:33 AM
My Steinway M birth information.
by ciftwood
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Breathy tone
by JoelW
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
HELLO!!
by Synner
Yesterday at 07:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission