Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2077908 - 05/05/13 09:26 PM A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists
Serge Marinkovic Offline

Loc: United States
How successful a venture to hopefully be held at Carnegie Hall were the greatest select pianists are invited to compete against one another. Lets say this event will have technical feats similar to Chopin vs Liszt were the sight read masterpieces. Scales in all shapes in styles, playing chamber music etc. lets say its topped of by a one million dollar prize. You invite to precipitate Perahia, Sokolov, Brendel etc the best professionals. What do you think would be the resulting interest and results?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2077935 - 05/05/13 10:08 PM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
If I were one of the top performing artists, I would not enter this competition. The winner could not possibly earn more anything by entering (prestige, audience, accolades, etc); and everyone else "loses". Considering judging is subjective at best, there's no way I'd even consider it if I were one of the top artists.

However, if they were to agree to it, I think it would be a highly watched event.

#2077941 - 05/05/13 10:19 PM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Serge Marinkovic Offline

I think if you have Perahia, Sokolov, Goode, Lang Lang (he is a thrown in I really do not admire him), Hough, Hamelin, Serkin, Berezovsky?, etc. it would be a very big media event. Say the prize is 2 million, 1 million and 1/2 million in prize money for the top three finishers. I think this could break whatever 10 day attendence figures for Carnegie Hall. Maybe add the winners of the Tchaikowsky, Leeds and Van Cliburn.

#2077969 - 05/05/13 10:58 PM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I find the idea mildly interesting but mainly nauseating. ha

#2077975 - 05/05/13 11:09 PM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC
Competitions are bad enough among unknowns, even though they do seem to be a part of the musical world, but I find the idea of holding a competition among well-established pianists something far beneath the artistry that these men and women (should)represent.

Oh sure, there will always be people who thrive on Rubinstein vs. Horowitz or Sutherland vs. Callas and intelligent discussions about the virtues of each may be productive.

However, to those who want a full-fledged competition purely for the sake of declaring a winner, I really wish them better things to do, such as enjoying the individual artistry that each musician has to offer. Leave the puerile titillation of "I am better than you!" to the likes of so-called reality shows.

Regards,

#2077978 - 05/05/13 11:18 PM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
I think a slightly better question would be "which living pianist has the best technique?". I'd say Pogorelich.

#2077981 - 05/05/13 11:20 PM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: BruceD]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: BruceD
....puerile titillation....

Good definition of "puerile" (perhaps):
giggling over the word "titillation" grin

#2077998 - 05/06/13 12:08 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: JoelW]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: JoelW
I think a slightly better question would be "which living pianist has the best technique?". I'd say Pogorelich.

This made me actually log in just to reply to this post. Are you serious? Have you heard him after he came out of his retirement? And have you heard the usual suspects (ie: Wang, Hamelin, Volodos, etc?)
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2078000 - 05/06/13 12:11 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: Mark_C]
Serge Marinkovic Offline

I am still interested in the 21st century Chopin vs Liszt result. Pianist would need to improvise on a theme maybe with variations and each one on one would have a winner. Somehow I think it would be a big success. Thing Hamelin vs Perahia needing to take a theme and improvise 6 variations in front of a Carnegie Hall audience and with judges like Argerich(if she is not competing) etc. The eleven o'clock news would give the country updates it could bring classical music a much needed infusion of energy and attention

#2078004 - 05/06/13 12:26 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: Kuanpiano]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano

This made me actually log in just to reply to this post. Are you serious? Have you heard him after he came out of his retirement? And have you heard the usual suspects (ie: Wang, Hamelin, Volodos, etc?)

Are YOU serious? As if his technique got worse because he chooses to play things slowly?

The way he played at the Chopin competition required an insane amount of dexterity and stamina. I've never seen anyone play anything with such conviction at those speeds.

And I'd bet Pogorelich can do anything Wang, Hamelin and Volodos can do.

#2078007 - 05/06/13 12:38 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Offline

....The way he played at the Chopin competition required an insane amount of dexterity and stamina.....

That was then, this is now. He's not the same. And the difference probably involves dimensions way outside of "dexterity" or "stamina."

#2078008 - 05/06/13 12:40 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
....The way he played at the Chopin competition required an insane amount of dexterity and stamina.....

That was then, this is now. He's not the same. And the difference probably involves dimensions way outside of "dexterity" or "stamina."

You're going to have to elaborate.

#2078011 - 05/06/13 12:44 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Although I agree with Derulux and Mark here, I was impressed by Pogorelich's Schumann Toccata, which I heard on Youtube. I prefer it to Horowitz's.

Polyphonist

#2078012 - 05/06/13 12:47 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Offline

No I don't. grin

And that shouldn't cause any problem for you. I'm sure that if you search a little bit, you'll find lots of stuff about this, much of it speculative -- but you'll get the idea of what kind of thing is probably involved.

#2078013 - 05/06/13 12:48 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Serge Marinkovic Offline

I also thought of a name "The World Championship of Piano". We would need to get the Rockefeller or Gates Foundation to sponsor this event. With the revenue going to sponsor full scholarships at the Worlds Finest Conservatories.

#2078014 - 05/06/13 12:49 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Mark_C Offline

Golly you're persistent. ha

Aren't you seeing that just about nobody thinks this is any kind of idea?

(Please tell us you're joking.) smile

#2078015 - 05/06/13 12:56 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: JoelW]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada

Are YOU serious? As if his technique got worse because he chooses to play things slowly?

The way he played at the Chopin competition required an insane amount of dexterity and stamina. I've never seen anyone play anything with such conviction at those speeds.

And I'd bet Pogorelich can do anything Wang, Hamelin and Volodos can do.

Yeah, I'm actually pretty serious. It's not just the fast stuff, or the slow stuff. It's just that if you gauge technique as dexterity, he doesn't have that now, or it's clearly not working out for him. He's completely removed anything resembling "virtuosity", "technique", or possibly even "allegro" from his musical vocabulary - you can hear it in a lot of his recent pirated recordings. Maybe he's still able to bring the house down by playing Islamey, but no, I don't think he's a strong contender for the title of "omg lyk, teh best tekniq evars" (sorta silly, hence the bad spelling) anymore. Musically, he's in a different universe. But in terms of raw technique...no.
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2078016 - 05/06/13 12:57 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Serge Marinkovic Offline

Imagine to say that this Monday night we would have two pianists competing against each other in scales, improvisation and their favorite repertoire while the judges are perhaps pianists like Pressler etc who decide the victor. Can you imagine Perahia vs Sokolov. A display of scales and arpeggios , then improvisation on a theme. Then both play some Bach Goldberg variations, Mozart Sonata, Beethoven Apassionata, Chopin Etudes galore, Prokofiev 7th piano sonata. Can you imagine the ruckus that would cause. NYC would be ablaze every night of the competition. It would be front page news for each World newspaper. People would gladly pay hundreds of dollars for a seat.

#2078017 - 05/06/13 01:00 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: Kuanpiano]
7000 Post Club Member

Musically, he [Pogorelich] is in a different universe....

...or not. grin

His technical flaws and ridiculously slow tempos don't lend themselves to the most musical renditions of very many pieces.

Polyphonist

#2078019 - 05/06/13 01:03 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Mark_C Offline

Serge, are you reading any of this? grin

#2078021 - 05/06/13 01:04 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
7000 Post Club Member

I guess not. wink

Not since his last post, at least.

(Only one thing's been said, what has he missed? grin)

Polyphonist

#2078022 - 05/06/13 01:05 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianis [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: Serge Marinkovic
Imagine to say that this Monday night we would have two pianists competing against each other in scales, improvisation and their favorite repertoire while the judges are perhaps pianists like Pressler etc who decide the victor. ... It would be front page news for each World newspaper.
I'm not so sure about that front page news bit. It's not a sporting competition, after all. Oh wait...

#2078027 - 05/06/13 01:09 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Offline

Joel, I think this post was fine in itself. You felt it needed elaboration. I don't. smile
Especially since the basic kinds of things involved are fairly common knowledge (among those who are interested), although we can only guess about most of the details within it.

If you want more discussion of it, maybe start a separate thread on it. I won't want to participate much, for a variety of reasons, but I'm sure quite a few people would gladly talk about what's probably involved.

#2078029 - 05/06/13 01:11 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: JoelW]
7000 Post Club Member

No I don't. grin

And that shouldn't cause any problem for you. I'm sure that if you search a little bit, you'll find lots of stuff about this, much of it speculative -- but you'll get the idea of what kind of thing is probably involved.

Nothing annoys me more than someone engaging in conversation then saying "go read about it" as a cop-out.

Would it annoy you more if he didn't engage in conversation in the first place? grin

Polyphonist

#2078030 - 05/06/13 01:12 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: Mark_C]
7000 Post Club Member

How do you link to a specific post like that?

Polyphonist

#2078032 - 05/06/13 01:13 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
7000 Post Club Member

Oh, I see, you add "#Post" and then the post number after the URL of the thread. thumb

Polyphonist

#2078040 - 05/06/13 01:30 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Serge Marinkovic Offline

Gentlemen I am in constant contact with this thread. But still it has captured my attention.

#2078041 - 05/06/13 01:32 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Mark_C Offline

Gentlemen I am in constant contact with this thread. But still it has captured my attention.

But evidently what we've been saying hasn't. grin

#2078061 - 05/06/13 02:11 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: Mark_C]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia

But evidently what we've been saying hasn't. grin

Yep, that gets a thumb. thumb hahaha

Serge- in all seriousness, instead of continuing to push your point/agenda, try responding thoughtfully to the people who have posted. It might create a more engaging conversation. smile

#2078078 - 05/06/13 02:39 AM Re: A Piano Competition Amongest the Greatest Current Pianists [Re: Kuanpiano]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

but no, I don't think he's a strong contender for the title of "omg lyk, teh best tekniq evars"

You were doing fine until you wrote this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
112 registered (36251, A Guy, beet31425, Alux, 42 invisible), 1255 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76011 Members
42 Forums
157169 Topics
2308333 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
special gloves to reinforce good hand position
by Will1
08/30/14 09:10 PM
Frederick Historical Concert Season - Fall 2014
by Terrytunes
08/30/14 08:44 PM
Stravinsky - Valse pour les enfants
by Peter071
08/30/14 06:05 PM
Recommend me a slab keyboard with full grand touch.
by TwoSnowflakes
08/30/14 05:24 PM
What's the value of my piano?
by Athos
08/30/14 04:51 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission