2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,124 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
G
1) Upright. price. In 2007, any grand that I liked was quite a bit more. At the time, I thought I would get an upright to tide me over until I could afford a grand.

2) Petrof 131, with the large music desk.

3) New. I scouted the used market and could find nothing I liked. I happened upon the piano in a shop where it had sat for over a year. Ironically, if I bought the piano new today it would cost more than the grands I couldn't afford in 2007.

4) The Petrof sounded great in the shop and in my home. I went back three times to the shop over time to play different kinds of music.

5) I felt very fortunate with my purchase. Like many people, I live in a piano brand wasteland. I had played many Steinway and Yamaha grands, any of which I could not afford, but the European sound was new.

6) No regrets. I continue to sample pianos whenever I can. Still hung up on the idea that someday I get that grand. But, except for a few top tier grands, I've found nothing I would trade my piano for.

7) A 10.

8) The only two grands I have played and dreampt about were a rebuilt B from the 20's and a Bosendorfer 213 from the 80's.

When I finally get a grand, my Petrof will move into another room, not out the door.

One thing I would add from my experience, B & W. Coming to an acoustic, you will not necessarily have more fun with a grand than with an upright. Sure they look great, but get yourself a decent piano you like of whatever kind, and the music will take care of the rest.

B
B&W Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi gutenberg, what is it about the Petrof you like so much? How would you describe the sound?

Sometimes you know not what you want until you know what you've got is not what you want - anonymous
Z
Z
1) Grand, for the sound
2) Mason & Hamlin AA
3) New. After lots of searching, all the used grands I found just didn't sound very good. Even the restored Steinways. Obviously I'd prefer the price of a used one, but unfortunately I didn't find one.
4) In the huge showroom, it seems a little loud but was exciting to play. When I got it home in the smaller environment, it was even louder and harsher. After 20 minutes of playing it would make my ears hurt. I talked to the dealer about revoicing it but that would be an expensive gamble.
5) After 30 days trying it out I decided I couldn't keep it because I just couldn't get used to the sound. I exchanged it for a Brodmann P212 and couldn't be happier
6) Even though the Brodmann was bigger (7 ft vs 6'4) it wasn't as loud or harsh, and just sounded more pleasant. It also had the gloss finish rather than brushed, which I think looks better in a living room.
7) M&H: 3/10, Brodmann: 9/10
8) Steinway B (or D if it could fit)

H
H
Originally Posted by B&W
1) Did you choose a grand or vertical and why?
Grand, in order to reach my full potential, and also for the appearance.

2) What brand/model and size?
Estonia L190

3) Did you purchase new or used and why?
New. Too scared to buy a used piano. Not sure I could trust anyone out there. It's a jungle.

4) How did the piano sound at home V where you 'test drove' it?
Big issue. Sounded GREAT in the store. Brought it home and put it on a thick wool rug--not so great. Removed rug and rotated piano--GREAT again.

5) What was your initial reaction to the purchase? Any immediate regrets?
Had issue with weak treble at first and was very puzzled at how piano could sound SO different at home. Once I had the area rug removed, the treble returned and then I remembered why I fell in love with the piano. People should definitely pay more attention to the rug/no rug issue.

6) Do you have any regrets longer term? Wish you had bought bigger, smaller, grand, upright, different brand/model, spent more or less, color?
Too soon; I've only had the piano for 7 weeks.

7) On a scale of 1 to 10 (what was I thinking? crazy to couldn't be happier 3hearts ) - how would you rate your piano?

8) What is your dream piano?
I love my Estonia! Could any piano sound better in my house? Who knows? I'm now acutely aware of how crucial a role the environment plays in how a piano sounds. My Estonia sounds great now in its little place with no rug. I will not be pushing my luck by trying any additional pianos.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission