Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2078068 - 05/06/13 02:25 AM Do we expect too much from a Digital? From a Distance . .
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Does it matter? Put simply, they don`t sound the same as an acoustic when you play `em. But listening? At a distance? Not bad at all I think. Fit for purpose? Yes. Most definitely, I`d say. And the difference between high end and entry level? Again at a distance . .. .not as much as you`d imagine, although the application of the instrument comes into it here. Recordings tell their own story .. .

Now, this is just one aspect I`m raising which I feel is so significant. When someone records a CD on a piano, the sound is pretty well faultless. Almost digital in fact. Perhaps recordings are digitally enhanced, I don`t know, but suspect this happens . . .

Edited by peterws (05/06/13 02:26 AM)

""

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2078100 - 05/06/13 03:37 AM Re: Do we expect too much from a Digital? From a Distance . . [Re: peterws]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I've had nothing but bad luck with all of my digital piano purchases as it amounts to changing brands (i.e., letting Casio's go) due to issues and then having to deal with flaws in other digitals including yet another one with pedal problems. Looks like there isn't going to be a happy ending to this story.

#2078116 - 05/06/13 05:04 AM Re: Do we expect too much from a Digital? From a Distance . . [Re: peterws]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
As players we're the most critical.

However I think as an audience unless you play yourself you don't really notice how unreal they sound. I mean how many piano concerts do you go to every year? How many does Joe sixpack?

Therefore do many of them know what a real piano sounds like? Or a intune one sounds like? I've played many a battered piano in public they were seriously out of tune but people still thought wow!

Heh, ever seen a CP80? Old 1980s and 90s music videos were filled with them (Real gone kid has one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHTI31XuQxk

Except the Cp80 does NOT sound like that in real life! I've played one, it sounds like an electric guitar setting on a digital!

The prevailance of MP3 makes this worse. MP3 is super lossy compresed format, compare it to a CD and there is no contest, most people live blissfully ignorant however. I last bought a CD last month. Younger folks don't even know what CDs are.

However you've also got to think that CDs are remastered and adjusted and never sound like the live concerts and thus sound perfect!

Compare

First song way to answer

Live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34FCIm-Reps

Production version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3FBkJRR8_Q

Even with youtube's low bit rate I can tell one sounds better than the other.

Edited by justpin (05/06/13 05:11 AM)

#2078128 - 05/06/13 05:53 AM Re: Do we expect too much from a Digital? From a Distance . . [Re: peterws]
Clayman Offline

Loc: Prague, Czech Rep.
pv88, I think you're overcritical of the digital pianos in general and you're often chasing after negligible details. When you were dealing with the "key lifting issue" on your CA-95, which Kawai James clearly said was a design decision and not a problem, you insisted on having someone check it out and that someone pretty much botched the job and left you with a piano with a noisy keyboard cover.

I wonder how long it will take until you find something of a similar sort on your CLP-990.

Nothing is ever perfect, much less a product that is half digital and half a work of good old craftsmanship.

Edited by Clayman (05/06/13 06:41 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown

#2078158 - 05/06/13 07:51 AM Re: Do we expect too much from a Digital? From a Distance . . [Re: peterws]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Heh, ever seen a CP80? Old 1980s and 90s music videos were filled with them (Real gone kid has one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHTI31XuQxk

Except the Cp80 does NOT sound like that in real life! I've played one, it sounds like an electric guitar setting on a digital!

The CP80 was the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow in the late 70's, early 80's, until the DX7 came along, more or less. I remember hearing one demoed at Hessey's in Liverpool - sounded so subtle and vibrant compared to even the Rhodes.

You get a good idea what they sound like from this at 15:29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rOh4f43ZRA
Not very inspiring really (the l/h octaves!!) - like a broken toy compared with a Casio £400 CDP or Yamaha P105 for example - and it was neither one thing nor the other since, in those days, electric pianos only goal was to sound like an acoustic, and the Yamaha easily won - and therefore lost in the posterity stakes.

But concerning the Deacon Blue video - well they would stick what ever keyboard was around (or looked better) for the video, wouldn't they? This would have no bearing on what was used for the recording (which sounds like a studio grand of some sort).

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2078171 - 05/06/13 08:18 AM Re: Do we expect too much from a Digital? From a Distance . . [Re: peterws]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
No were not expecting too much. Because it can be done. Digital in general lags what it can do. Ever since it started. All kinds of talk about how good it is. That is still going on. Instead of acting on it. The king still has no clothes.

Bear in mind. I've heard really good. So good... My sister in law. Even when she was told that it's the stereo. She still insisted on going over and picking up a coin off the floor. The coin was in the recording.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
99 registered (36251, Allard, Abby Pianoman, aesop, Alux, 20 invisible), 1244 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75898 Members
42 Forums
156858 Topics
2304803 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Do you use a method series to teach jazz? What series?
by Maechre
08/22/14 07:39 AM
Tuning my piano with an app
by johan d
08/22/14 03:14 AM
Tuning a piano
by johan d
08/22/14 02:14 AM
Yamaha CLP-430 or Roland RP-401?
by masterboy
08/22/14 01:22 AM
NY Steinway in Russia
by victor kam
08/22/14 12:38 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission