Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2078253 - 05/06/13 11:02 AM Digital Piano for a complete beginner on a small budget
zinknissen Offline

Hello! I've always wanted to learn to play the piano, and now I've decided that it's about time.

First of all that means I'm going to need a digital piano. As I'm still at student my funds are limited, so I would like to spend less than 600€ (~600$ worth of piano if you include the Danish VAT).

I've done some research and found the following "cheap" pianos (prices listed are the cheapest European/Danish ones I've been able to find):

Casio CDP-120 - 465€ including fixed stand.

Yamaha P-35 - 535€ including fixed stand.

Yamaha YDP-141 - 710€ including a chair.

Yamaha YDP-142 - 800€.

Yamaha P-105 - 775€ with standard fixed stand; 840€ with tri-pedal stand.

Are any of these recommendable? I plan to mainly play blues. Speaker quality doesn't matter as I will just plug in my good hifi headphones or connect it to other speakers.

Are there any other DPs I should be looking at?

Any help is appreciated!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2078265 - 05/06/13 11:24 AM Re: Digital Piano for a complete beginner on a small budget [Re: zinknissen]
slowtraveler Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
I've played the Yamaha P105 a couple of times recently and liked it very much. It has very good acoustic piano samples, decent action, and good speakers for its price. To save a little money, consider skipping Yamaha stands. Get a decent third-party Z-type or table-type metal stand, and one upgraded sustain pedal like the Yamaha FC3 or similar. See some other recent threads here for excellent demos of the P105 by foster12.

Kind regards,

Ben

#2078267 - 05/06/13 11:29 AM Re: Digital Piano for a complete beginner on a small budget [Re: zinknissen]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I would also consider the Casio PX-150, only because I think it has a better feeling action than any of the ones you mentioned. Though sound may favor the Yamahas.

#2078287 - 05/06/13 12:26 PM Re: Digital Piano for a complete beginner on a small budget [Re: anotherscott]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
I recently shopped around for a portable piano for my granddaughter to lug around, I was looking to spend around £500. I tried out the Casio PX-150, Casio PX-350, Korg Sp-17O, 280 & 250, it was a hard decision, but I finally bought the Yamaha P-105. I got the P-105, Stagg Four Leg folding Stand, Folding Bench, Dust Cover, Headphones and Carry Bag for £555.

Edited by bluebilly (05/07/13 12:54 AM)

#2078320 - 05/06/13 01:24 PM Re: Digital Piano for a complete beginner on a small budget [Re: zinknissen]
raikkU Offline

I got P-35 (my first piano) three weeks ago after a gruesome month of research during which I went to a store and did comparison on the action of CDP-120 and P-35. CDP-120 felt very sluggish but back then I couldn't play at all so my perception might be different if I tried it now.

In terms of sound quality I will say that P-35's onboard samples through the speakers sound like absolute garbage. It's better than nothing but the difference to a VST with headphones is like night and day.

#2078361 - 05/06/13 02:39 PM Re: Digital Piano for a complete beginner on a small budget [Re: zinknissen]
zinknissen Offline

Thanks for the response. I'm leaning more towards spending that extra money and getting the P-105 now.

Bluebilly - That sounds like a good deal. The price you payed is what the piano alone costs at my local store and at Thomann. If it's an online store, do you mind telling where you bought it?

I can get the Yamaha YDP-141 cheap because it's just been discontinued in favor of the new model, YDP-142. Does anyone have any experience with the YDP-141? How is it compared to the P-105?

Edit: Also, the Yamaha stands are the cheapest I can find, unless I'm going for X-stands, which I'm not.

Edited by zinknissen (05/06/13 02:40 PM)

#2078434 - 05/06/13 04:22 PM Re: Digital Piano for a complete beginner on a small budget [Re: zinknissen]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
Originally Posted By: zinknissen
Thanks for the response. I'm leaning more towards spending that extra money and getting the P-105 now.

Bluebilly - That sounds like a good deal. The price you payed is what the piano alone costs at my local store and at Thomann. If it's an online store, do you mind telling where you bought it?

I can get the Yamaha YDP-141 cheap because it's just been discontinued in favor of the new model, YDP-142. Does anyone have any experience with the YDP-141? How is it compared to the P-105?

Edit: Also, the Yamaha stands are the cheapest I can find, unless I'm going for X-stands, which I'm not.

zinknissen, PM me, I'll provide you details, I couldn't message you for some reason

#2078438 - 05/06/13 04:25 PM Re: Digital Piano for a complete beginner on a small budget [Re: zinknissen]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

I do not know - but would a discounted YDP 161 (also replaced by a newer 162) be in reach somewhere in your area? This one has a much better key action than the YDP 141/2 or the P 105. - The Casios wouldn't do it for me (but that's just me of course).

#2078448 - 05/06/13 04:49 PM Re: Digital Piano for a complete beginner on a small budget [Re: zinknissen]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
If you require a portable board, any of the Casio PX-150 or Yamaha P35/P105 should be fine.

If portability is not a concern, perhaps also consider the Kawai CL26 or CL36.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2083682 - 05/16/13 01:19 PM Re: Digital Piano for a complete beginner on a small budget [Re: zinknissen]
zinknissen Offline

So, I found a P-105 on a clearance sale and bought it. Also ordered a nice piano bench, 4-legged stand and a bag. In total it cost me 550£ which I'm very happy about.

Now I'm just waiting for the stuff to arrive smile Thanks for your help!

#2083760 - 05/16/13 05:05 PM Re: Digital Piano for a complete beginner on a small budget [Re: zinknissen]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Glad to hear it. Enjoy!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Unison detuning?
by Beemer
09/20/14 06:54 AM
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
09/20/14 03:59 AM
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
09/19/14 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
09/19/14 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
09/19/14 07:34 PM
Who's Online
82 registered (Bamburg, acortot, 36251, Beemer, 23 invisible), 1045 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157638 Topics
2315456 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission