Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
108 registered (Anne'sson, Almaviva, Allan Sutton, anotherscott, 38 invisible), 1526 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2078827 - 05/07/13 01:27 PM "The Bach style"
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
It's a broad topic for discussion (maybe too broad)... but I'd be curious to hear what others have thought about the variability of Bach's (mainly keyboard) writing style across his works.

In particular, if there are some good books or articles (something like "The Classical Style", but for Bach?!), I'd be very happy about some pointers.

For example, I would be interested to learn more about his variability in texture, e.g. his different (also in terms of "strictness") treatment of individual "voices" in different genres of his works, and his mix of polyphonic and homophonic ("melody/accompaniment") writing.

In terms of polyphony, on the "strict" side there are of course the fugues (and inventions/sinfonias), in which the number of voices is clearly set out at the beginning and notation is clear enough that you could write out each voice on its own stave without ambiguity.

On the other extreme (it seems to me) there are works like the Italian Concerto in which many notes are there mainly as "accompaniment" (i.e. for the sake of harmony, and not as part of an independent horizontal line).

Many WTC preludes, or movements from the Suites/Partitas seem (again just my impression) to be somewhere in the middle between these extremes, mixing "less strict" polyphonic writing (e.g. voices that are silent are not notated by breaks; additional voices can occur and disappear within a movement) with "accompaniment"/homophonic elements.

Well, I guess that leaves room for any random observations or thoughts on Bach's style... laugh

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2078967 - 05/07/13 06:56 PM Re: "The Bach style" [Re: pianovirus]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
"Variability" is right. The main thing I'd say about his "style," besides the superb counterpoint, is that it covers so much ground that I don't think we can describe it in any simple or single way. More than any other composer, I think his styles span virtually the entire history of music, even including the most modern kinds. (BTW the cadenza in the 1st mvt of the 5th Brandenburg almost encompasses all of this by itself.) If someone were to quiz me with a blip excerpt of almost any music (leaving aside issues of instrumentation/orchestration), I think only rarely would I be able to swear it wasn't Bach. I don't think I could say that about any other composer.

#2079819 - 05/09/13 12:21 PM Re: "The Bach style" [Re: pianovirus]
Mark_C Online   content

Hey, nothing else about PV's good post? I can't imagine the above reply says it all! (Especially with all that silly hyperbole.) grin

(BTW, PV -- if it's still possible to edit out the "quotes" in the title, that'll help the navigating of the thread. Like, if you can change it to 'single' quotes, that does it.)

#2079865 - 05/09/13 02:37 PM Re: "The Bach style" [Re: pianovirus]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
What's the question? wink

The Italian Concerto is interesting because it was in a way Bach's response to critics claiming that his style was old fashioned (which it was by the early 1700's). I think he wanted to assert that yes he could write like that too if he chose to.

.. and then he went on to write the "Art of Fugue".

This resource is indispensible: Keyboard Music of Bach

#2079992 - 05/09/13 07:16 PM Re: "The Bach style" [Re: Mark_C]
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Hey, nothing else about PV's good post? I can't imagine the above reply says it all! (Especially with all that silly hyperbole.) grin

Thanks for pulling the thread up again...I already guessed the topic is probably not focused enough for a discussion thread.

Originally Posted By: Vid
What's the question? wink

There's none! laugh

This was more like "Share everything you ever thought about the characteristics of Bach's widely variable keyboard style"...or give me a book that does this. So thanks for recommending the Schulenberg book; I will surely order this one!

(BTW, PV -- if it's still possible to edit out the "quotes" in the title, that'll help the navigating of the thread. Like, if you can change it to 'single' quotes, that does it.)

Oh no, I don't see an "edit" button (maybe it's only there when a post is new (?)). But now you made me curious, Mark: smile In what way do the double quotes in the title affect the navigating of the thread?

#2080031 - 05/09/13 08:57 PM Re: "The Bach style" [Re: pianovirus]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: pianovirus
Oh no, I don't see an "edit" button (maybe it's only there when a post is new (?)).

Yeah -- it goes away after some time.
The length of time varies and, from what I've been able to tell, is random. ha

Quote:
In what way do the double quotes in the title affect the navigating of the thread?

Well, just see what happens when you click on this thread in the Pianist Corner page.

Instead of taking you to the first "new post," it takes you back to the very top.

#2080040 - 05/09/13 09:25 PM Re: "The Bach style" [Re: Mark_C]
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well, just see what happens when you click on this thread in the Pianist Corner page.

Instead of taking you to the first "new post," it takes you back to the very top.

I see, oh no! cry

Well, at least I can proudly say it took me less than 1000 posts to learn about this "feature" laugh yippie

Now, back to Bach (in case anyone has some more random observations or literature to share). Too bad Charles Rosen didn't write a book about his style. I'm currently reading his book on the Beethoven sonatas, and even though there is little space for each sonata I'm finding something new and interesting on every page...

#2080050 - 05/09/13 10:18 PM Re: "The Bach style" [Re: pianovirus]
Piano Person16 Offline

Just wanted to add a couple interesting pieces to this converstation:
Duetto in e minor (couldn't find a recording I liked, so here...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJDb00Go7vE
Art of the Fugue, Contrapunctus 13
Note: the "inversus" version of 13 was stolen by Brahms for the finale to the e minor cello sonata
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az2eEE3YYEE
And just because it's such a STUNNING recording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bL2qhrGeJA
Gould plays everything incredibly, but this is so unique and honest that even if it doesn't add to the content of this thread, it might make your day a little richer.
Working on: Rachmaninov concerto 3, Mozart K488, Beethoven Waldstein, Bach Goldberg Variations, Stravinsky Petrushka, Bach Art of the Fugue, Brahms 118, Rachmaninov op. 39 no. 6 (Red Riding Hood), Chopin etude op. 10 no. 1, Chopin nocturne op. 55 no. 2, Bach Prelude and Fugue in g# minor (Book 2)

#2080136 - 05/10/13 03:09 AM Re: "The Bach style" [Re: Piano Person16]
wr Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Piano Person16
Just wanted to add a couple interesting pieces to this converstation:
Duetto in e minor (couldn't find a recording I liked, so here...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJDb00Go7vE

The duets are wonderful pieces, I think. I like the ornaments in this version of the e minor, from Blandine Verlet (warning: harpsichord ahead!) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLO084UnWeA

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Crumb's Makrokosmos Vol. II No. V Technical difficulties
by Digital Mozart
12/18/14 08:49 PM
Lifetime Piano Tunings with New Piano Purchase?
by MusicMasters
12/18/14 07:51 PM
Experienced pianist: digital piano to "replace" grand
by integris
12/18/14 05:39 PM
why do I suddenly have clacking bass notes
by music32
12/18/14 04:57 PM
Kawai Digital Piano
by Deegs23
12/18/14 03:28 PM
Forum Stats
77340 Members
42 Forums
159962 Topics
2349209 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission