Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2072900 - 04/28/13 03:46 PM Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
For those thoughts musical or not. Things you want to share but don't necessarily need a thread for....because we all have one or few of those a day wink

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2072905 - 04/28/13 03:52 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
ElleC Offline

So since I started my piano journey, I've been listening to classical piano music a lot but have only been exposed to Bach, Chopin, Beethoven and Burgmuller. I really want to see a good pianist perform live so I was looking at ticketmaster and this guy Christopher O'riley comes up and looks like he's performing in New York City in May performing variations of Liszt. I don't know anything about O'riley and I don't know anything about Liszt's music. Honestly don't know what to expect but I am excited!

#2072910 - 04/28/13 04:00 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
On the 12th of May in the Highline Ballroom on 16th Street?

Polyphonist

#2072915 - 04/28/13 04:03 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
ElleC Offline

Yes that's it!

#2072951 - 04/28/13 05:00 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Elle...Monday evenings on PBS, "From The Top". Christopher O'Riley hosts the show and it's an hour of young musicians. He is an excellent classical pianist and , among other thngs, did a whole series of his own transcriptions of Radiohead pieces that were just amazing.

#2073051 - 04/28/13 07:23 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: Peyton]
ElleC Offline

Awesome! Thanks for that info. Now I'm even more excited to watch/hear him play!

#2073097 - 04/28/13 08:26 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Mozart! Listen to Mozart.

Everything by Mozart...piano music, concertos, symphonies, seranades, operas, chamber music...everything. Mozart is the main course...everyone and everything else are just side dishes...Mozart was sent to Earth by the music gods to teach people how to know and love great music.

Mozart! Listen to Mozart.

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2073276 - 04/29/13 04:30 AM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Get some piano solo recordings by Martha Argerich... especially Schumann, Ravel, Debussy. And also concertos, like Beethoven and Prokofiev. Some will not agree, but when I listen to her I tell myself, this is how piano music should sound like.

#2073444 - 04/29/13 11:51 AM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
Boira Offline

Loc: Barcelona
Random musical thought of the day: Why do I keep buying music sheets when I positively know that I won't have time to learn them in 10 lives?

#2073452 - 04/29/13 12:17 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: Boira]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Why would the thought even occur to me when running into this clip that the way this guy moves can teach something about playing the piano, and on the heels of that, it's time to go out and buy a watermelon.
The watermelon guy

#2073453 - 04/29/13 12:20 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: Boira]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
For the same reason I now have both volumes of "Piano Classics", and "The Standards Real Book" (fifty years of pop/jazz lead sheets) and all 3 of Tim Richards' blues and jazz books.

That's a lifetime of music playing and learning, and I'm not young enough to master it.

But one can dream . . . .<g>

. Charles

#2073541 - 04/29/13 03:03 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: keystring]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: keystring
Why would the thought even occur to me when running into this clip that the way this guy moves can teach something about playing the piano, and on the heels of that, it's time to go out and buy a watermelon.
The watermelon guy

He's a master! I'm surprised he didn't slice his hand off somewhere along the line...

Polyphonist

#2073553 - 04/29/13 03:11 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
He cuts watermellon like i play scales... :-)

#2073594 - 04/29/13 03:45 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: Boira]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Originally Posted By: Boira
Random musical thought of the day: Why do I keep buying music sheets when I positively know that I won't have time to learn them in 10 lives?

For all the music I buy that's at my current level, I rationalize that I'll be able to use it for sight reading practice when I get better.

For music above my level: if civilization collapses, at least I'll still have sheet music to grow into. Not sure what I'll be plugging my DP into though... wink

neglected piano blog

#2073601 - 04/29/13 03:54 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
Codi Offline

Loc: Banksoda muddy river, Missouri...
Boira: I am always looking for the answer to that question as well! I remember when I had to go to the music store, over an hour drive, to look for sheet music. There was never much to choose from, and the books were so pricey. Now just log into music notes or whichever site you like and buy nearly any sheets you could ever want! Somebody stop me I'm out of control!

#2073694 - 04/29/13 06:16 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
ElleC Offline

The week I got my DP and before I started taking lessons, I purchased several sheet music from musicnotes. I have yet to play any of them though I'm hoping one day I'd be good enough to do so.

#2073976 - 04/30/13 07:29 AM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
Andy Platt Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
If you are going to buy a ton of music way above your level, make sure it's crazy hard so you can just casually have it propped open on your piano should visitors pop by. "Yeah, I'm toying with La Campanella but it's not quite speaking to me yet ..."

Hmm, perhaps not.

I keep picking up way more than I can ever use on Freecycle. At least I'm not paying for it!

Kawai K3

#2074456 - 04/30/13 07:05 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
ElleC Offline

I'm getting my piano tuned for the first time (a "free" tuning that was included with my purchase). Is there an etiquette as far as giving (or not giving) the piano tech a gratuity? and how about if I'm paying for the tuning myself...do I have to give an additional $ for gratuity?

#2074487 - 04/30/13 08:14 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Ah........ the American gratuity debate, I find this whole subject so confusing as a European/Australian visitor. Ask him where his last holiday was, if it was New Jersey he needs the tip, if it were Hawaii, the he probably doesn't need it. If it was overseas holiday ask how hard it is to become a piano tuner, I am looking for a new career.

#2074565 - 04/30/13 10:48 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
ElleC, I have read your post, here:

I'm getting my piano tuned for the first time (a "free" tuning that was included with my purchase). Is there an etiquette as far as giving (or not giving) the piano tech a gratuity? and how about if I'm paying for the tuning myself...do I have to give an additional $ for gratuity?

When the sales person heard of a private sale of an awesome piano, I gave the salesperson a finder's fee. I called the salesperson for the name of a good tuner. The salesperson said, no, no, I am paying for the tuner for your piano because you were ...whatever she said.

I tried to give the tuner a tip because he really was awesome and did a great job, fussed over checking everything like nuts and bolts, screws were tight. He said no, but for a cup of coffee, if you insist. So, of course, I will see him for the annual tuning, budget permitting. I have never ever paid a finder's fee in my life, and am not big on tipping except waiters, etc., but I realized how awesome it was to find the piano and nothing less than tip/finder's fee was appropriate under the circumstances.

Oh, ElleC, on your closing comment ----> Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.

I respectfully disagree. Discovering the love of playing the piano at 63, now 64, knowing that playing the piano is the greatest joy in my lifetime, and I have had a humble but awesome life. The ability to play the piano at any level, is the greatest priceless gift except for living life itself.

Edited by Michael_99 (04/30/13 10:53 PM)

#2078729 - 05/07/13 09:13 AM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
ElleC Offline

My piano is getting tuned for the first time today. I wonder if my inexperienced ears will be able to tell the difference.

#2078745 - 05/07/13 09:55 AM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
If you can't hear the difference, your piano probably doesn't need a tuning :p. But I'm sure you'll notice and love it!

#2078754 - 05/07/13 10:25 AM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: Allard]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
My new piano gets tuned for the first time tomorrow. I can't wait! It is definitely moody over its move from Germany to Switzerland. Hopefully a fresh tuning will make it happy!

Working on:
Handel - Allemande in A Minor
Bach - Inv. #14
Beethoven - Sonata #79 2nd mvmt
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#2078798 - 05/07/13 11:54 AM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
ElleC Offline

SwissMs what kind of piano did you get?

----------

the piano tech the dealer sent to service my piano happens to be a neighbor who lives 3 floors above my unit. How funny! And convenient smile

#2078802 - 05/07/13 12:06 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
It is a Bechstein grand, 160. I love it!

Working on:
Handel - Allemande in A Minor
Bach - Inv. #14
Beethoven - Sonata #79 2nd mvmt
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#2078804 - 05/07/13 12:12 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
ElleC Offline

Wow!! Some day when I have a bigger place...I will get me one of those babies. I heard Bechsteins are wonderful pianos. Good for you!

#2078936 - 05/07/13 06:00 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I noticed at yesterday's piano lesson how badly the piano needed a tune (perhaps a match is more what it needs).

#2078968 - 05/07/13 06:57 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
My piano teacher said the dreaded "M" word today. "Memorize". I made it clear to her when I started with her last year, that I have been horribly unsuccessful at memorizing music. It's almost like I'm missing some component of my memory. It's not simply difficult. I can memorize passages only to be unable to recall them even 20 minutes later. If I can't get the notes to stick in my short term memory, there's no hope of the notes making it to my long term memory!!! Oh well.

I'm going to try and memorize the Chopin Waltz in a minor Op 34 no 2. I know to some extent that I need not "try" but "do". My history of unsuccessful memorization does not have me encouraged. I'm not getting any younger either. My memory in general is not strong.

Anyway, I have a plan. I will try to do this. But, even if I am able to play by memory in a lesson, I'm not sure I would trust myself in a performance given the additional anxiety I will feel. Performance date i June 1st memorized or not. I don't "HAVE" to have the piece memorized. I'm already in a bit of a funk over this. I do seem to work myself up over the most stupid stuff. Just rambling at this point.

Carry on.

#2078980 - 05/07/13 07:27 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

dynamobt, you are definitely not alone in your memorization quandry. I am worried how I will get on when I start longer pieces for my memory seems just as bad.

Years ago I started one of those memory courses, I guess it is common knowledge now that they are based on visual memorization techniques but back then it was a bit of a mystery. Anyway I was shocked how good you can recall things using internal visual cues. I will be investigating this further to see how it can be adapted to learning longer pieces but for now you might be interested in reading the following blog.

http://memorisingmusic.com/

#2078983 - 05/07/13 07:36 PM Re: Random thoughts...a hodgepodge of anything [Re: ElleC]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I should of course have also checked the PW Forum first regards memorisation. There is plenty of previous posts on the subject with some interesting stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
MIDI to USB adapters?
by Mark NM
09/16/14 12:32 PM
Need help IDing grandfather's 1920s piano exam piece
by Valencia
09/16/14 11:42 AM
That awkward non-playing hand...
by TX-Bluebonnet
09/16/14 11:15 AM
New Kawai CE220
by Dr John 48
09/16/14 09:23 AM
Piano covers
by Jamie
09/16/14 08:51 AM
Who's Online
154 registered (Altair, 255, AndresD, Almaviva, 48 invisible), 1404 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76221 Members
42 Forums
157561 Topics
2314336 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission