2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2078530 05/06/13 07:56 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I own a c6 Yamaha Grand and I was visiting my local dealer today. He had just received the new Yamaha c6x series. I played it and fell in love again. I really like my c6 but the action, sound and play ability of the new cx was superb. I was wondering if any one else has had the chance to play the new cx. In my opinion it is the finest piano Yamaha has ever introduced. Interested to see if any one else had a similar feeling or experience.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
The first CX I played was so strident sounding that it was completely unenjoyable. Subsequent CX pianos I've seen left a more favorable impression, but at that price, I'd rather have an Estonia, Schimmel, or perhaps a M&H.

P
OP Offline
P
Interesting. The cx I played was not strident at all but rather had a warm tone with excellent resonance. It was a real pleasure to play. Sound is so hard to describe and what sounds good to one person often does not sound good to another. That is why we are human and each of us have our own preferences. I also have a Masters in Music.

Last edited by pianocritic; 05/06/13 08:14 PM.

Piano Critic-A player and listener. Musician-Bachelors and Masters in Music. Retired from Professional life and just enjoying Music.
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I played all the CX series when Yamaha unveiled them last year (C1X to C7X).

IMO, they begin to sound good from C3X on, and C6X and C7X are particularly impressive - but so they should be, for their size. Certainly, there aren't many competitors in the price bracket of the C7X in terms of sound.

I also played the CF4 and CF6, as well as the CFX, which are in a different category in terms of power (and price!) - probably too much so for the home, unless you have a concert hall......

If music be the food of love, play on!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
i've had the pleasure of playing a c3x, c6x and cfx. the former and the latter were two of the finest pianos in their respective sizes i've ever played. the c6x was just uncrated and lacked the same je ne sais quoi, but it may have needed a bit more time to decant.

as a former longtime critic of yamaha pianos i have been fully converted... touch, build quality, reliability, consistency, tuning stability, and now, most importantly, quality of sound.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by pianocritic
Interesting. The cx I played was not strident at all but rather had a warm tone with excellent resonance.

It should be noted that, although I did not particularly enjoy this piano, it was clearly evident to me that it was an upgrade over the traditional C series. With proper voicing, it would have been a nice piano.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Entheo
as a former longtime critic of yamaha pianos i have been fully converted... touch, build quality, reliability, consistency, tuning stability, and now, most importantly, quality of sound.

It's about time!

But at what price?

Nick's Piano Showroom
Naples, Fort Myers, & Sarasota, FL
New Estonia, Mason & Hamlin, Kawai, Brodmann & Ritmuller
239-206-4541 direct line
www.nickspiano.com

Concert Piano Technician, Dealer, and Pianist

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by pianocritic
I own a c6 Yamaha Grand and I was visiting my local dealer today. He had just received the new Yamaha c6x series. I played it and fell in love again. I really like my c6 but the action, sound and play ability of the new cx was superb. I was wondering if any one else has had the chance to play the new cx. In my opinion it is the finest piano Yamaha has ever introduced. Interested to see if any one else had a similar feeling or experience.

I've not yet had a chance to play one - BUT for what they cost, they should be superb !!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
in yamaha's case, list price and selling price are two very different animals.

ps -- yamahas have always been capable of producing warm sound -- there's a reason pianists like richter & gould (and others) chose them. but they garnered a reputation as being a bright piano with a clear tone, ideal for pop and recording studios; and not unlike baldwins of old, that quality tended to be taken to the extreme.

i've posted this example before - my 2005 C7 - with very good mics, before i had it voiced down by my technician. i offer it as an example of a pre-X series that can hold its own (you'll need good headphones or speakers to appreciate of course):

https://www.box.com/s/0lia1ms5c3ri0l735409

Last edited by Entheo; 05/07/13 08:49 AM.
S

Bronze Level Supporter until October 5 2014

Bronze Level Supporter until October 5 2014
S
I recently played both a C6x and C7x. The C7x was a really wonderful piano (the C6X was also quite nice). The action was quite good and was well-regulated. The tone of the piano is totally unlike other C7s. Very warm, with none of the brightness that Yamahas used to have out of the box. If I were in looking at pianos in this range, the C7x would be a serious contender.

Cello, Piano, Electric Bass

1967 Baldwin SD-10 | Kawai MP11
B
BDB Offline
B
I have tuned a C6X and a CFX. Both are pretty bright, which leads me to believe that brightness depends on the setup, rather than the model.

Semipro Tech
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I got a chance to play a brand new c6 and c6x side by side.. The c6x definitely had a warmer richer tone to my ears.. But for the price, if rather have an Estonia or Schimmel as mentioned earlier. For resale purposes, I'd take the yamaha though .

Online Content
Based on the Fine SMP's I think the price of an Estonia, Schimmel, or Mason is considerably less than a Yamaha CX of equal size. This is not meant to imply one should not buy a Yamaha.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/07/13 01:14 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Based on the Fine SMP's I think the price of an Estonia, Schimmel, or Mason is considerably less than a Yamaha CX of equal size. This is not meant to imply one should not buy a Yamaha.

I think you may be referring to the CF series. The CX has an SMP price lower than most all of the pianos you mention for equivalent sizes.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
When I was shopping for a 6' piano, my final contenders came down to 4 in terms of good to high performance - the Brodmann 187, the Yamaha C3X, the Steinway Model A, and the Boesendorfer 185.

The Yamaha C3X (186) is 30 to 40% more than the Brodmann 187. I definitely thought the C3X is worth it, but I did like the Brodmann 187 quite a bit, and wouldn't mind having it at all, but the C3X has significantly better performance, and given Yamaha's reputation in other areas, it was an easy choice. The new Steinway Model A and new Boesendorfer 185CS were both more than 2X the price of the Yamaha C3X, the Steinway A being 2.5X. I thought the Boesendorfer was without a doubt better in every respect and the Steinway was in many ways better but not all areas but had a lot of potential. Anyway, I didn't want to pay 2X for the Bosie or 2.5X for the Steinway, so I have the C3X, and it's just amazing.

On my tech's second visit 4 months after the initial in-home prep, the worst part of the piano was only 3 cents flat from 4 months ago, and a lot of the piano was close to dead on or 1 cent off. We did some more voicing as the piano has brightened up a bit. I think over the next two years, my tech said he will help me tweak the C3X to come close to a high end instrument as the piano settles in. As raw piano goes, the CX series is pretty awesome. I'll be putting in 6 to 12 tunings over 2 to 3 years, and I won't miss not having that Bosie or Steinway. Heck I don't now, and I couldn't say that before with the constant exposure to my teacher' Steinway. Her piano made me realize how inadequate my previous piano was; not anymore.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This year, at the Musikmesse Frankfurt, I played on the C2X, C3X and C7X; all with SH silent system.

My opinion (or better: first impression):
The C2X is not significantly better than the C2. But not worse either.
I liked the C3X better than last year's C3XA. All in all it was rounder. Haven't played on a C3 yet.
The C7X was just amazing.

I couldn't find a significant difference in action between the smaller and bigger ones. Guess key length is overrated.

The SH silent system is wonderful. Sounds better than SG in my opinion.

Bottom line: The CX series is great. Probably among the best pianos you can get for the money.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
heres a vid I took at NAMM of a custom C3x.. I played it for half an hour as it was in an isolated room.. there was no one else in there to video me so I couldn't get a vid of the sound... (besides, I only had my iphone,so the sound would be awful)

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iHKuRm-85RI[/video]

Online Content
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

I think you may be referring to the CF series. The CX has an SMP price lower than most all of the pianos you mention for equivalent sizes.
Yes. One reason I confused them is the largest concert grand is the CFX with both a F and an X. I wish they wouldn't put the number for the size in the second position in the CX series but in the third position for the CF series.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
It takes a Rosetta Stone to figure out Yamaha's identification system.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
G
G
I played a c3x and c6x last week. Very very impressed. I too could not tell much of a difference action-wise. Both are responsive and sensitive and even. A pleasure to play.

The c6x is imho a truly remarkable instrument. Tone and touch a benchmark for the price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission