Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2078636 - 05/07/13 02:02 AM Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy?
Daza Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Hey guys it feels as if most of you play and listen to Classical Piano music which is great but not for me, and this is kind of a summary as the Top Ten List made of top piano songs(modern) Which do you like and which don't you like? Thanks.

http://www.aolradioblog.com/2010/02/19/best-piano-songs/

Daza.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2078651 - 05/07/13 03:50 AM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: Daza]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
The Way it is. There`s an amazing piano solo written word for word on the sheet music. I have it. I haven`t played it . . . the piano on the recording now sounds dated unfortunately.

""

#2078696 - 05/07/13 07:49 AM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: Daza]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Hi Daza, for me it has to be Piano Man.......simply a classic

However although it may appear that we all listen and play classical music nothing could be further from the truth. Many of the forum members here have wide ranging tastes.... for myself I am proud to say I have been listening to Genesis since 1975 (that's long before they became famous) and at the moment am totally besotted by bands like IQ and Glasshammer. It is no co-incidence they all have great piano players.

#2078702 - 05/07/13 08:05 AM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: Daza]
Jean-Luc Offline

Loc: France
I really love Walking in Memphis

amongst the "piano song" I guess I would add "All by myself", the piano is rather prevalent in it smile

Jean-Luc

#2078715 - 05/07/13 08:42 AM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: Jean-Luc]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Jean-Luc
I really love Walking in Memphis

amongst the "piano song" I guess I would add "All by myself", the piano is rather prevalent in it smile

Which would lead us to a discussion of pop music that quotes classical music. But there's a whole Wiki page for that so I needn't bother mentioning any. Specifically not Sting's "Russians" (not a piano quotation though.)

Pop Songs Based on Classical Music

Kawai K3

#2078728 - 05/07/13 09:12 AM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: Andy Platt]
Farmerjones Offline

Loc: USA
What's to be said about the #1 song? (Piano Man)
Best Billy Joel interview about the song -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl2JqQWjPHI

I'm surprised Tiny Dancer is there and Your Song is not.

Anything of Hornsby's

Also surprised nothing from Randy Newman, or Carole King.

#2078788 - 05/07/13 11:34 AM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: Daza]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I agree, Farmerjones; I wouldn't have put Tiny Dancer on the list, let alone the #2 slot.

I would've put Bob Seger up there, either "Against the Wind" or "The Fire Inside."

#2078825 - 05/07/13 01:24 PM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: Daza]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
1, 3, 4 and 6 (Piano Man, Lean On Me, Let It Be and Imagine) are all on my todo list and I've been practising all of them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#2078858 - 05/07/13 02:52 PM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: earlofmar]
Daza Offline

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
Hi Daza, for me it has to be Piano Man.......simply a classic

However although it may appear that we all listen and play classical music nothing could be further from the truth. Many of the forum members here have wide ranging tastes.... for myself I am proud to say I have been listening to Genesis since 1975 (that's long before they became famous) and at the moment am totally besotted by bands like IQ and Glasshammer. It is no co-incidence they all have great piano players.

Hey that's great to hear, then I have found a place I have been searching for, as I have no one to discuss my music with, that makes me very happy Thanks. You will see plenty of me around here now. wow

Daza.

#2078866 - 05/07/13 03:10 PM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: Daza]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Maybe the OP would be interested in checking out the "Non Classical" forum here on PianoWorld...I think you'd find a lot of people there who share your interest in popular music, more than in this forum, which is primarily devoted to classical music (well, until very recently, when there have suddenly been a large number of threads on songs or other New Age stuff, for some reason or another).

Polyphonist

#2078872 - 05/07/13 03:22 PM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: Daza]
KurtZ Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
Of these, I call Bill Withers cuz he's a long time client and friend. Among the rest, I prefer Joe Jackson to all of them not so much for his virtuosity but HOW he uses the piano to serve his songwriting which IME is far more ambitious and interesting than all of the above with a nod towards Elton John's (and Bernie's) phenomenal abilities to write catchy songs that capture the imagination. JJ's mix of punk, jazz and world beat captures MY imagination endlessly and 6 or seven of his records are part of my desert island list.

Kurt

edit: the non-classical forum, while technically is more directed towards discussion of non-classical styles, seems to be the domain of cocktail/wedding pianists and jazz players.

Another thing, am I nuts or did I not see Ben Folds on that list? I KNOW I didn't see Ray Charles. I would have listed those WAY before Warren Zevon or Cold Play.

Edited by KurtZ (05/07/13 03:31 PM)

#2078876 - 05/07/13 03:34 PM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: Daza]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
When I think of 'piano' pop tunes, I think of Eric Carmens 'All by Myself' (written by Sergei Rachmaninoff), or 'Wildfire' by Michael Murphy. Also '100 years' by five for fighting or 'postcards from LA by Joshua Kadison.

These pop tunes contain a predominant piano throughout the entire piece in which the beauty of the melody is delivered by the piano, not the voice of a singer.

Many tunes contain a very short predominant piano 'section', but then the rest of the tune is just a regular pop song with mostly singing and drum beats.

True piano 'songs' are getting harder and harder to find.

#2078877 - 05/07/13 03:34 PM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: Daza]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Some of these songs are ok. I like Clocks. In the 40 years I've been listening to the 5 Beethoven Concertos, I have not gotten tired of them yet, but I'm pretty tired of most of these on the top 10 list. Pop is fine, but I get bored of them quick.

#2078888 - 05/07/13 04:02 PM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: Daza]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
As much as I sometimes worry about the ABF being mostly classical, so far the submissions in the next recital have been running about 1/2 classical and 1/2 other kinds of things, so we're not in close danger yet of being mostly classical laugh

I like blues piano and old rock-and-roll - Pine Top Perkins, Little Richie, Jerry Lee Lewis, and newer stuff - Dr. John, Marcia Ball, Jools Holland. Rowdy stuff laugh

Cathy

#2078902 - 05/07/13 04:42 PM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: Polyphonist]
PianoStudent88 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
Maybe the OP would be interested in checking out the "Non Classical" forum here on PianoWorld...I think you'd find a lot of people there who share your interest in popular music, more than in this forum, which is primarily devoted to classical music (well, until very recently, when there have suddenly been a large number of threads on songs or other New Age stuff, for some reason or another).

The ABF is not primarily devoted to classical music, at least not by design. You seem to be confusing the Adult Beginner's Forum with the Pianist's Corner.

The OP might indeed be interested in checking out the Non Classical forum, not because the query is misplaced in ABF, but as a way of perhaps reaching more people with the question and expanding the discussion.

#2078954 - 05/07/13 06:37 PM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: Daza]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Gee.....I'm surprised nobody mentioned one song....modern...piano...Was a big hit. Unforgettable, very impressionable, beautiful song.
The theme from Love Story.

Yes all those others were good. smile

#2078985 - 05/07/13 07:39 PM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: Daza]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
rnaple your correct but how easily Love Story could have been missed as it was in a golden age of good acoustic piano based pop songs.

#2079006 - 05/07/13 08:47 PM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: Daza]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I was thinking in terms of Top 40 pop/rock songs. If we broaden the criteria to indie modern music, Vienna Teng would get my vote for being in the top 5.

#2079008 - 05/07/13 08:49 PM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: Daza]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Piano Man (Billy Joel has the chops..), Tiny Dancer (Sure, Elton John, especially EJ from that era, was just fantastic.) Lt It Be (I guess. I can think of better piano pieces but it is a great song.), Maybe I'm Amazed (Not incredible piano but a well crafted song). I never cared for "Imagine" all that much. I think if someone other than Lennon had written it it would never have been all that popular. Don't know Clocks. Always turn the channel when Werewolves comes on (same with Imagine). Don't care much for "
The Way it is" but Hornsby plays a good ax. Walking in Memphis.. OK but doesn't ring my bell. Lean on ME. Guess I should listen to that again. I remember the song but not the piano that much.

#2079013 - 05/07/13 09:02 PM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: Monica K.]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
I was thinking in terms of Top 40 pop/rock songs. If we broaden the criteria to indie modern music, Vienna Teng would get my vote for being in the top 5.

She's got talent, and a real pianist. "Anna Rose" is one of my favorites.

#2079088 - 05/08/13 01:51 AM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: Peyton]
Daza Offline

Originally Posted By: Peyton
Piano Man (Billy Joel has the chops..), Tiny Dancer (Sure, Elton John, especially EJ from that era, was just fantastic.) Lt It Be (I guess. I can think of better piano pieces but it is a great song.), Maybe I'm Amazed (Not incredible piano but a well crafted song). I never cared for "Imagine" all that much. I think if someone other than Lennon had written it it would never have been all that popular. Don't know Clocks. Always turn the channel when Werewolves comes on (same with Imagine). Don't care much for "
The Way it is" but Hornsby plays a good ax. Walking in Memphis.. OK but doesn't ring my bell. Lean on ME. Guess I should listen to that again. I remember the song but not the piano that much.

I like your take on those songs, very well thought out. The way it is and NYSOM are my two most practiced songs, but for some reason...doesn't sound the same, and sure I havve only been playing 6 months but I think its the actual sound of the Grand piano that sounds so different to my upright?

#2079174 - 05/08/13 08:27 AM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: Daza]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
Two more candidates for the list. Bridge Over Troubled Waters and My Heart Will Go On.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#2079179 - 05/08/13 08:41 AM Re: Which Of These Top Ten Songs Do You Feel Is Worthy? [Re: TheodorN]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: TheodorN
Two more candidates for the list. Bridge Over Troubled Waters and My Heart Will Go On.

I think you are confusing that second one with the Penny Whistle most worthy list wink

Kawai K3

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
109 registered (AlanSanDiego, anotherscott, Aviram, accordeur, 37 invisible), 1365 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157224 Topics
2309197 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Blac
by Aviram
Yesterday at 11:56 PM
Blackbird - Piano Cover - The Beatles
by Aviram
Yesterday at 11:49 PM
Kawai CA95 Recordings
by wolferblade
Yesterday at 11:32 PM
soviet upright piano "LIRICS"
by Maximillyan
Yesterday at 11:22 PM
Question about 1975 Steinway L
by mahlers2nd
Yesterday at 09:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission