Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2078562 - 05/06/13 09:51 PM What are some great synths to buy?
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I used to own a Yamaha DX-27 and a General Music S3, both which I loved and then for some reason sold. I'm thinking of getting back into using a synth for composing and performing solo stuff on. I really enjoyed the ability to customize your own sounds on my old synths, and I'm sure technology has come a long way. I'm just so out of touch I don't know what's good to get. Any suggestions? Sequencer stuff isn't that important I'll use a computer for that, mostly something that has a great sound bank and the ability to play around with those sounds.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2078628 - 05/07/13 01:07 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]
TheBlacknight Offline

Loc: Manchester, United Kingdom
Indeed synths and keyboards have come a long way. As you say you havent used them for quite a while, but rather than finding a synth with a good sound bank, have you considered buying a just a MIDI keyboard and using the vast array of vst's available now? Perhaps something like the M-Audio Axiom AIR 61 or if your budget can run to it one of the best out there is the Novation Impulse. Tnh Impulse has plenty of features with aftertouch, full DAW Plugin control, Multi function Drum Pads and works with most DAW's like Cubase,FL studio,Reaper, Pro Tools etc. You can directly control your DAW interface from the keyboard and program samples etc. Fantastic!

Then you need to just decide on what VST to run. Ive found both the EWQP (Their Complete Collectors Edition is massive) or just choose the VST packages they have available, or for much less in comparison, there is the widely used NI Komplete 9. This entire package is very comparable and can live up to the EWQP package at much less of a cost.

If you need to limit your budget, you can always just purchase one of these VST pacakges and always upgrade as and when you want. They do a full Synth & Sampler Pack which is very impressive.

the Komplete Strings and Cinematic Orchestra's are truely amazing..

Just a thought as i do believe everything is pretty much going down the software route with VST and especially the keyboard/synth route. You can create and compose epic Score's in the comfort of your own home studio with very little outlay!

Just my personal choice, but im seriously thinking of getting both the NI Komplete & EWCCCC (East West Collectors Edition) and getting a Novation MIDI myslef, as soon as i have a re-arrange at home and can make some room for my little studio!

Edited by TheBlacknight (05/07/13 01:10 AM)

#2078643 - 05/07/13 02:53 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Although I have most of the well-known software tools and instruments available and a great computer, I personally am much happier switching on a hardware synth and just playing the stuff that's there. Usually sound, controls and interface are very well integrated and save you a lot of time clicking around with the mouse and staring at computer screens. Even automap didn't do it for me; still to much the feeling of working behind a computer.

I say this because , although software instruments can sound much better and there's much more to choose from, the overkill of available samples , sounds and patches can spoil the fun, whilst the 'limited' pallete of a hardware synth can trigger your creativity and provide for much more fun and more musical results in the end. Don't say it must - that depends on the person behind the gear - but it can.

The list of software solutions and midi controllers is long. The hardware list in the higher regions for all-round boards may be:

Yamaha motif series
Roland jupiter ,or an Integra with nice controller
Korg Kronos series

Some alternatives , but they have aged considerably and are way due for a replacement :

Roland fandom g series
Kurzweil pc3 series

If it has to be less all round (large pallete of sounds) , but more keyboard sounds oriented,the Nord stage series is also very much worth considering.

Cheers, J

#2078645 - 05/07/13 03:06 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: JFP]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
Originally Posted By: JFP
Although I have most of the well-known software tools and instruments available and a great computer, I personally am much happier switching on a hardware synth and just playing the stuff that's there. Usually sound, controls and interface are very well integrated and save you a lot of time clicking around with the mouse and staring at computer screens. Even automap didn't do it for me; still to much the feeling of working behind a computer.

I say this because , although software instruments can sound much better and there's much more to choose from, the overkill of available samples , sounds and patches can spoil the fun, whilst the 'limited' pallete of a hardware synth can trigger your creativity and provide for much more fun and more musical results in the end. Don't say it must - that depends on the person behind the gear - but it can.

Man, I agree with that. No denying that VST's are extremely capable and certainly get the job done (and much more), I spend wayyyy too much time at a computer as it is. I love taking a break from that and receiving the tactile feedback from a hardware synth -- even if it can feel a bit crude at times. Kind of a "man and machine" relationship that you can't really get from a laptop. I enjoy a break from the "office environment". Also agreed on the value of having to work for what you want and getting to know your keyboard by really digging under the hood.

Of course, 'different strokes' and all that. smile

Edited by LesCharles73 (05/07/13 03:11 AM)

#2078678 - 05/07/13 07:03 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]

Well, and of course, with any of the above suggested synths one could also use it as a MIDI controller/VST thing, should I wish to go that route.

By the way, I do own a Roland FP-7, and I could simply use that and invest in the software? But I did love the ideas that playing around with my DX-27 or the S3 gave me.

#2078750 - 05/07/13 10:17 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]
Kbeaumont Online   content

Loc: Virginia, USA
A real fun synth to play is the KingKorg. I didn't think I would like it until I tried it. The interface is really inspiring and the sounds are top notch. My only criticism of it is its really light plastic other than aluminum top. Other than that its got a full 5 octave keyboard and the sounds are infinitely tweakable. Keyboard magazine has a review of it in their latest issue. The quality of the sounds is up their with the Ultra Nova, Waldorf Bloefeld or even the Virus TI (snow) module.

#2078756 - 05/07/13 10:32 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]
Tyruke Offline

Loc: Anaheim, California, USA
I've messed with the Casio XW-P1 at stores before and it sounded really great to my ears. Definitely geared for performance use.

#2078757 - 05/07/13 10:36 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Kbeaumont]

Originally Posted By: Kbeaumont
A real fun synth to play is the KingKorg. I didn't think I would like it until I tried it. The interface is really inspiring and the sounds are top notch. My only criticism of it is its really light plastic other than aluminum top. Other than that its got a full 5 octave keyboard and the sounds are infinitely tweakable. Keyboard magazine has a review of it in their latest issue. The quality of the sounds is up their with the Ultra Nova, Waldorf Bloefeld or even the Virus TI (snow) module.

I like the knobs and buttons for easy realtime tweaking! I don't care that it doesn't have the full keyboard or the feel, as I have the FP-7 to fill that purpose.

#2078940 - 05/07/13 06:08 PM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]
Kenny J Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, CA
You can pick up a used Korg M3 for a song. I've got this board and it's wonderful. With the add exp-radias card it still plays beautifully.

Arabesque No. 1 - Debussy
Dr. Gradus Ad Parnassum - Debussy
Live and Let Die - McCartney
Maple Leaf Rag - Scott Joplin

#2079020 - 05/07/13 09:14 PM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]
SoundThumb Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
If you are interested in customizing your own sounds, it would be hard to beat getting a Roland V-Synth GT. Although it has been out for some time, it is still a very powerful synth and bristles with knobs and buttons, not to mention, the color touch screen. It really invites you to start tweaking your sounds.

#2087221 - 05/23/13 08:19 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]

Just a follow-up: I've decided to look in the used market, so what are some good has-beens that I can get in the $1k or lower range?

#2087246 - 05/23/13 09:21 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

I can recommend the Yamaha S90. It has a PLG board expansion slot that can fit three boards like the PLG-150-AP which is a great acoustic piano add on for classical music and the PLG-150-VL that when coupled with the breath controller makes for a very expressive wind instrument sound that is very versatile. It also comes with an amazing triple strike S700 sound which is excellent for playing within a band as the sound cuts through any arrangement. Furthermore it has a large amount of on board synth sounds you can use as well. Brand new they ran $2,000 while now you can get one for under $1,000.

#2087272 - 05/23/13 10:24 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]
willf Offline

Loc: UK
A Kurzweil PC361 is a very capable board, better still a PC3K series board but these will be over the budget of $1,000.

Edited by willf (05/23/13 10:25 AM)

#2087403 - 05/23/13 12:56 PM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Some of the XW-P1 sound layers are in the new Casio PX-5S. Available for new in your budget, and worth 5 minutes or so to see if it would meet most or some of your requirements?

#2087415 - 05/23/13 01:20 PM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]
dje31 Offline

Roland XP-30 has a ton of ROMPLER-based sounds on-board, plus two expansion slots for additional. Some sounds are quite good, some less so, but there's a lot to choose from, plus they're tweak-able...lots of built-in EFX as well.

It even has aftertouch!

#2087452 - 05/23/13 02:14 PM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]
Kbeaumont Online   content

Loc: Virginia, USA
If you want to edit and create your own sounds, you will love this $699 powerhouse:

#2087467 - 05/23/13 02:40 PM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]
emenelton Offline

I played a StudioLogic Sledge.
61 Keys, polyphonic and the panel has very large knobs that are set up like a mini moog.
3 Oscillator per voice like the mini moog as well. I was blown away by the sound. Thought it was beautiful. Believe it is produced in conjunction with Waldorf.

#2087716 - 05/24/13 12:49 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]
Super Locrian Offline

If you can tolerate using a computer to make music, you can have a lot of fun for your dollar. As others already mentioned, there are tons of free or budget VSTs that will give you tons of possibilities. All you need is a PC or Mac, a good audio interface (or an expensive professional sound card) $150~400, a keyboard midi controller (or any old synth with midi-out) $300~500, and the software, a VST host (or a DAW) e.g. Reaper, Cubase, Logic (for Macs) and the VSTs.

I own Komplete 8 (9 has been just released), and it was the best $400 I ever spent in my life. Reaktor (a synth maker environment) alone is worth the money. In Reaktor you can mix and match "ensembles" (Native Instruments lingo for synth instruments or fx) in a modular environment to come up with new ones. There is a a user library of Reaktor ensembles that you will have access to totally free of charge, and it has thousands of excellent synths and fx. To give you an idea about how powerful Reaktor is, the latest synth by NI, named Monark, was written completely in Reaktor. It's a simulation of the MiniMoog, and a pretty good one at that.

Komplete comes also with Absynth, FM8, Massive (all synths), Kontakt (v. powerful sampler), Guitar Rig (guitar and bass amp + fx sim), and Battery (e-drum).

From time to time, v. nice sales take place on software synths, specially near the end of the year. KVRaudio forum is a good place to learn about software synths and where these sales will be advertised. Right now there is a sale on most Image-line synths at JRRshop.com till end of May. Their Harmor, Harmless, Morphine, and Sytrus are hard to resist.

#2087803 - 05/24/13 07:29 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Super Locrian]

Originally Posted By: Super Locrian
If you can tolerate using a computer to make music, you can have a lot of fun for your dollar. As others already mentioned, there are tons of free or budget VSTs that will give you tons of possibilities. All you need is a PC or Mac, a good audio interface (or an expensive professional sound card) $150~400, a keyboard midi controller (or any old synth with midi-out) $300~500, and the software, a VST host (or a DAW) e.g. Reaper, Cubase, Logic (for Macs) and the VSTs.

I own Komplete 8 (9 has been just released), and it was the best $400 I ever spent in my life. Reaktor (a synth maker environment) alone is worth the money. In Reaktor you can mix and match "ensembles" (Native Instruments lingo for synth instruments or fx) in a modular environment to come up with new ones. There is a a user library of Reaktor ensembles that you will have access to totally free of charge, and it has thousands of excellent synths and fx. To give you an idea about how powerful Reaktor is, the latest synth by NI, named Monark, was written completely in Reaktor. It's a simulation of the MiniMoog, and a pretty good one at that.

Komplete comes also with Absynth, FM8, Massive (all synths), Kontakt (v. powerful sampler), Guitar Rig (guitar and bass amp + fx sim), and Battery (e-drum).

From time to time, v. nice sales take place on software synths, specially near the end of the year. KVRaudio forum is a good place to learn about software synths and where these sales will be advertised. Right now there is a sale on most Image-line synths at JRRshop.com till end of May. Their Harmor, Harmless, Morphine, and Sytrus are hard to resist.
Hmm, apart from the expense of software, I think I have all I need.

I have a Mac laptop, a ZoomH4 that could be an audio interface, my FP-7 (which I think I can do MIDI over USB), and so all I need are the sounds and the DAW - by the way, I love it when the title of something is also a sound effect....dawwwww wink

Still, I'll keep my eye out for these synths because as a previous poster mentioned, there's just something inspiring about having an instrument that you can fiddle with. Great ideas, everyone!

Edited by Morodiene (05/24/13 07:32 AM)

#2093247 - 06/01/13 09:14 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]

After attempting to figure out what is a good used price for the 10-year old used synths that seem to be on craigslist, I think I've decided to buy new. Sure, these 10-yr old beauties were top of the line at the time and cost the owner $3k and they're selling for $1000 or $1200, but you are still getting 10-year old technology for the money.

So I've narrowed it down to two models:

Yamaha Mox6 - I can get for $1200 online free shipping, no tax
Roland Juno-Gi - I can get for $999 online, free shipping, no tax, and a cheapo x-stand and bench

I've tried comparing the specs, and this is what I've noticed:

-The Yamaha has semi-weighted keys whereas Roland does not. Both have 61 keys. The weighted keys is nice, but not necessary since I have an FP-7 if I want a more piano feel.

-Yamaha's tone generator has 355 MB where Roland has 128 MB, both at 16-bit linear format. What does this mean? Is this a big deal and worth the extra $200?

-Yamaha has 1024 normal voices, and the Roland has 1379 if I'm reading it correctly.

-I didn't compare the sequencer much since I'll mostly be using my Mac and DAW of some kind, but it does seem like Yamaha is beefier in this section as well

-For controllers the Yamaha has 8 assignable knobs and the Roland has only 6

Given the discrepancies, which would you choose and why? The $200 isn't going to break the bank for me to get the Yamaha. However, I do like the fact that Roland has more voices. They both seem quality instruments and perhaps whichever one I get I wouldn't notice anything lacking anyways. But if there is a big enough difference where the Yamaha is worth the little bit extra, then I certainly want to get that instead.

#2093254 - 06/01/13 09:32 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
Im not a synth player but rapidly becoming more interested in them every time I walk into GC. Both look nice. Does the polyphony make a big difference to with synths? Yamaha MOx6 64 vs Roland Juno Gi 128

Edited by Marko in Boston (06/01/13 09:32 AM)

#2093261 - 06/01/13 09:51 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Marko in Boston]

Originally Posted By: Marko in Boston
Im not a synth player but rapidly becoming more interested in them every time I walk into GC. Both look nice. Does the polyphony make a big difference to with synths? Yamaha MOx6 64 vs Roland Juno Gi 128
I think that polyphony on the Yamaha is actually 124, I was confused by the 64 at first, but further down the specs list they have "maximum polyphony 124" for the sequencer. I think the 64 max polyphony under the Tone generator means for a given voice the max # of simultaneous pitches is 64? That's a guess.

#2093265 - 06/01/13 10:03 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
-The Yamaha has semi-weighted keys whereas Roland does not.

Have you actually played both boards? The descriptions mean nothing. A given "semi-weighted" board can feel better or worse than some other model's "unweighted" board.

-Yamaha's tone generator has 355 MB where Roland has 128 MB, both at 16-bit linear format. What does this mean? Is this a big deal and worth the extra $200?

-Yamaha has 1024 normal voices, and the Roland has 1379 if I'm reading it correctly.

These issues are related... though not necessarily important.
If the Yamaha has 355 mb worth of sample data vs Roland's 128, in theory, that should give it either more sounds than the Roland, or better quality sounds, or some combination of the two. Since the Roland has less sample data, but more sounds, the "math" says that the Yamaha should have the better sounds. The problem with this logic is that "better" is a subjective thing. You might prefer, say, the Roland brass sound, even if it derived from less data than the Yamaha brass sound. (Also, not every sound will be affected the same way or proportionally by the total relative amount of data. Even though the Roland has less data overall, it is still possible that, for some given sound, it could have more data than the Yamaha... though again, what matters is how you like the sound, not how much data they needed to create it.) It's also possible that you might like, for example, the drum sounds on the Roland but the woodwind sounds on the Yamaha. So while "more" sample data is generally better, the only way to know whether it has "paid off" in sounds you care about is to listen to those sounds and see which you prefer. If one has much better drums, but you don't need drum sounds out of the board, it doesn't matter.

A musical instrument just doesn't lend itself to being selected from a spec sheet. You just need to see how they feel under your fingers and how they sound to your ears. Another variable is how easy you find it to get around on them, i.e. interface and ergonomics. None of this stuff is on the spec sheet, but that's the stuff that's important.

#2093267 - 06/01/13 10:07 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Marko in Boston]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Does the polyphony make a big difference to with synths? Yamaha MOx6 64 vs Roland Juno Gi 128

If you're playing one sound at a time, it doesn't make much difference. If you're layering/sequencing sounds such that you may be generating many more sound than you have fingers, then you may run into "voice stealing" (older notes dropping out) more quickly on the unit with lesser polyphony. One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes a single note of a single sound uses up more than one instance of polyphony. The most obvious example is a stereo sound, where each note is triggering two sounds, left and right, which therefore uses up two notes of polyphony with a single key strike right there.

#2093269 - 06/01/13 10:12 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I think that polyphony on the Yamaha is actually 124, I was confused by the 64 at first, but further down the specs list they have "maximum polyphony 124" for the sequencer. I think the 64 max polyphony under the Tone generator means for a given voice the max # of simultaneous pitches is 64? That's a guess.

No... The Yamaha can produce a total of 64 sounds at a time. A 4 note chord consisting of a stereo piano and mono strings generates 12 distinct sounds, using up 12 notes of polyphony.

The sequencer can sequence more simultaneous notes than the tone generator can produce. You'll never hear more than 64 out of the MOX itself, but if your sequence demands more simultaneous tones (up to 124), you can set it up so that some of the parts are played by other sound devices external to the MOX itself. That's how the sequencer can handle 124 notes of polyphony, by combining 64 in the MOX while triggering additional notes on another keyboard, attached sound module, computer, etc.

#2093273 - 06/01/13 10:23 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: anotherscott]

Originally Posted By: anotherscott

No... The Yamaha can produce a total of 64 sounds at a time. A 4 note chord consisting of a stereo piano and mono strings generates 12 distinct sounds, using up 12 notes of polyphony.

The sequencer can sequence more simultaneous notes than the tone generator can produce. You'll never hear more than 64 out of the MOX itself, but if your sequence demands more simultaneous tones (up to 124), you can set it up so that some of the parts are played by other sound devices external to the MOX itself. That's how the sequencer can handle 124 notes of polyphony, by combining 64 in the MOX while triggering additional notes on another keyboard, attached sound module, computer, etc.
Thank you for clarifying this! That makes a huge difference in my book, sine I will be doing orchestral arrangements, and while I don't really know that I'll need more than 64 note polyphony, I'd hate to find out the hard way that I do. This is a big thing in favor of the Roland in that case.

-The Yamaha has semi-weighted keys whereas Roland does not.

Have you actually played both boards? The descriptions mean nothing. A given "semi-weighted" board can feel better or worse than some other model's "unweighted" board.
No, although I will be in the Chicago area in the next couple of days and perhaps I can find both synths to try out at the same store as I'm passing through. The feel of the keys doesn't matter much to me, really, because I can adjust to anything, but my playing tends to be pretty heavy since I'm used to a heavy-action AP.

These issues are related... though not necessarily important.
If the Yamaha has 355 mb worth of sample data vs Roland's 128, in theory, that should give it either more sounds than the Roland, or better quality sounds, or some combination of the two. Since the Roland has less sample data, but more sounds, the "math" says that the Yamaha should have the better sounds. The problem with this logic is that "better" is a subjective thing. You might prefer, say, the Roland brass sound, even if it derived from less data than the Yamaha brass sound. (Also, not every sound will be affected the same way or proportionally by the total relative amount of data. Even though the Roland has less data overall, it is still possible that, for some given sound, it could have more data than the Yamaha... though again, what matters is how you like the sound, not how much data they needed to create it.) It's also possible that you might like, for example, the drum sounds on the Roland but the woodwind sounds on the Yamaha. So while "more" sample data is generally better, the only way to know whether it has "paid off" in sounds you care about is to listen to those sounds and see which you prefer. If one has much better drums, but you don't need drum sounds out of the board, it doesn't matter.

A musical instrument just doesn't lend itself to being selected from a spec sheet. You just need to see how they feel under your fingers and how they sound to your ears. Another variable is how easy you find it to get around on them, i.e. interface and ergonomics. None of this stuff is on the spec sheet, but that's the stuff that's important.
Ya, I realize it's often comes down to personal preference, but I was just looking for some insight as to the different features and what they actually mean. It sounds to me like this particular feature difference can only be determined by hearing the sounds themselves.

Have you played either synth and what do you think of them?

#2093279 - 06/01/13 10:37 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Roland Juno-Gi - I can get for $999 online, free shipping, no tax, and a cheapo x-stand and bench

Also, you mentioned early on that your interest is largely in creating your own sounds. In your price range, I think I might be more inclined to look at a King Korg, or a Roland VR-09 (at least if you have an iPad, which is pretty key to its interactive sound creation functionality), or Waldorf Blofeld. Three very different keyboards, but all with good facility for sound customization. The MOX and Juno, while flexible, are still romplers at heart (i.e. designed primarily around playback of ROM samples).

#2093280 - 06/01/13 10:44 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Have you played either synth and what do you think of them?

I've used the MOX quite often, I think it sounds great. But I basically just combine and playback the sounds that are there, I don't do much modification of the sounds myself.

The interface is not always the most straightforward, and the manual makes things worse, but ultimately, for my gigging purposes, I have generally managed to get it to do what I need.

#2093282 - 06/01/13 10:46 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: anotherscott]

Also, you mentioned early on that your interest is largely in creating your own sounds. In your price range, I think I might be more inclined to look at a King Korg, or a Roland VR-09 (at least if you have an iPad, which is pretty key to its interactive sound creation functionality), or Waldorf Blofeld. Three very different keyboards, but all with good facility for sound customization. The MOX and Juno, while flexible, are still romplers at heart (i.e. designed primarily around playback of ROM samples).
As I search, my desires in what I want are becoming more defined as well. I think it's fine to be able to manipulate preset sounds, which I think the other boards can do.

#2093305 - 06/01/13 11:53 AM Re: What are some great synths to buy? [Re: Morodiene]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

I will be in the Chicago area in the next couple of days and perhaps I can find both synths to try out at the same store as I'm passing through.

Both are in-stock at a GC south of Chicago: smile
Guitar Center Country Club Hills
4271 W.167th Street
Country Club Hills, IL 60478-2017
708-799-0315

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
NAMM 2015 - Are You Booked??
by Piano World
10/01/14 12:09 PM
Music stores in Boston
by Jamie_from_Canada
10/01/14 09:39 AM
Need a stool of some kind
by GeorgeStorm
10/01/14 09:19 AM
Schoenberg's Kammersymphonie Op. 9 (for piano)
by jeffreyjones
10/01/14 08:48 AM
Old Schumann Upright
by UnrightTooner
10/01/14 08:24 AM
Who's Online
158 registered (accordeur, 36251, alans, ajames, 46 invisible), 1696 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76389 Members
42 Forums
157920 Topics
2319266 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission