Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
104 registered (Anita Potter, angga888, bennevis, accordeur, Anne'sson, 30 invisible), 1446 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2079084 - 05/08/13 01:35 AM to accompany a music score with the recording or not?
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Here lies the question...

With EMF, we're about to publish a few educational works for solo piano. And the recordings are available. So we have 3 choices.

1. Not add the recording to the score, since a recording will facilitate the bad readers to remain such and won't be of help in that essence.

2. Add the recording in CD format, but the score price tag will have to raise.

3. Add the recording through a link in the Internet, thus avoiding the raise in the price tag.

Comments, please?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2079086 - 05/08/13 01:41 AM Re: to accompany a music score with the recording or not? [Re: Nikolas]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Internet.

Definitely the Internet.

You can also showcase other works, too, and maybe get some publicity for the other works/composers.

#2079092 - 05/08/13 02:05 AM Re: to accompany a music score with the recording or not? [Re: Nikolas]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Offer the recording online as an 'added extra' (paid download).

#2079093 - 05/08/13 02:07 AM Re: to accompany a music score with the recording or not? [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

AZN and ROB. Thank you.

I think that offering it as a paid download would be a bit too much, given that people would be buying the score already and don't need to pay extra. They are paying rather less, in order to avoid the inclusion of a CD...

And yes we should work more on the ad part of the website I think. It's almost too clean right now! grin

#2079109 - 05/08/13 03:21 AM Re: to accompany a music score with the recording or not? [Re: Nikolas]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Good morning. From a commercial point of view, definitely include the CD. A very great many people will be more likely buy educational material when there is a CD included. From a pedagogical point of view I don't think that it is the best way to go, but the fact is that recordings are taking a greater and greater weight as a teaching tool.

#2079118 - 05/08/13 04:44 AM Re: to accompany a music score with the recording or not? [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Landorrano: I find that a CD would increase the price of the production, and thus that of the end product. Plus I find that many people now don't even own a CD player any more and it feels like a hassle to find a way to listen to a CD. I mean even I, with my large CD collection, I tend to make mp3s of the CDs and listen in my studio... So I'm not too sure... CD seems like a more traditional approach...

#2079147 - 05/08/13 06:33 AM Re: to accompany a music score with the recording or not? [Re: Nikolas]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

By how much does a CD increase the price of production? I would suppose that the CD in itself isn't very costly, but then you have to put some sort of jacket in the score.

If you're talking about, say 2€, added to the price, I don't think that that would be a problem ... although I may be wrong. If the price goes from 15€ to 17€, your margin goes down but your sales don't. If you're talking about a 10€ cost, that will surely discourage buyers.

What you say about mp3, is surely true. If you mention in a prominent way in the publicity that there is free access to a site with free downloadable recordings of all of the pieces, that is definitely a plus. Whether it is enough of a plus to eliminate the usefulness of a CD, I don't know.

#2079150 - 05/08/13 06:51 AM Re: to accompany a music score with the recording or not? [Re: Nikolas]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I would offer it as a download on the website. You can advertise that as an option in the book itself so they can always go and download it at a later time if they wish, or right away when they purchase the book. I think that would be easy to offer for free, thus making your music more of a bargain for people to buy because they can always listen to it.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2079169 - 05/08/13 08:01 AM Re: to accompany a music score with the recording or not? [Re: Nikolas]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Nikolas,

I just wanted to say that I appreciate print editions with a CD included. When I do downloads, I always run into problems. It's much easier for me to pay an additional $5 or $10 for a CD than deal with trying to get the recordings online.

Edited by Ann in Kentucky (05/08/13 08:31 AM)

#2079206 - 05/08/13 10:16 AM Re: to accompany a music score with the recording or not? [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

landorrano: It really depends... As a music scores publisher I've done such a high number of scores that I know the ins and outs now. but I've NOT idea about CDs (yet, though I plan on learning more)... So I'm not too sure. Plus since I'm going for rather low numbers still, I don't think any factory can build, lets say, 100 or 150 CDs. They go for at least 500... which is a capital that I can't spend right now light hearted.

You also need to remember that even through the turmoil that Europe is going through the US$ is weaker than the euro, which means that a 15 euros score looks like an 18$ score, plus shipping goes to around 23$ or so, which is considerable as a number... And there's no way around that! frown

morodiene: Exactly right. Although I'll be honest that from those who bought Piano Stories, very few decided to go to the download area and get the audio files (there's a text in the score that gives the link and with your email you can get all the solo audio files in order to practice...)... Not sure why is that, but I plan on continuing that path.

Ann: I see what you mean, but remember: You've got your own personal tech support service right here! wink Of course I'll grant you right that a printed score (thus a physical object) seems to make sense to be accompanied by a physical CD rather than a download (since the used would have to type in the address in a browser or so...). hmmm... something to consider here.

Thanks everybody!

Keep them coming, please! smile Your opinions might change the future scores, so it's definitely worth it! And I'm very keen on listening to you all! smile

#2079211 - 05/08/13 10:26 AM Re: to accompany a music score with the recording or not? [Re: Nikolas]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Personally, I rarely will bother with CDs except as a singer if I need a quick accompaniment.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2079213 - 05/08/13 10:30 AM Re: to accompany a music score with the recording or not? [Re: Morodiene]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Personally, I rarely will bother with CDs except as a singer if I need a quick accompaniment.
Me too actually (not for the singing part... I sing along Freddie Mercury! grin And that's all I need)...

But really, nowadays I rarely bother with a CD, as I said earlier. It's too much trouble (imagine that... This is what we've become: Bothering for too much trouble in regards to a CD).

Which makes me wonder: Will it be too much trouble to open up a physical score in a little while?

#2079230 - 05/08/13 11:01 AM Re: to accompany a music score with the recording or not? [Re: Nikolas]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I think much depends on the age group of your target market.

When my students have books accompanied by CDs, and I ask if they have ever listened to them, they invariably say 'No'.

But when they are learning/have problems with a particular piece, and I put my own mp3, or video online (privately) for them to listen to, they almost always access it.

For many young people today, going to find the CD, putting it in the player, or computer, is just too much hassle, when they can download an mp3 with just a couple of clicks.

#2079237 - 05/08/13 11:27 AM Re: to accompany a music score with the recording or not? [Re: Nikolas]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikolas

You also need to remember that even through the turmoil that Europe is going through the US$ is weaker than the euro, which means that a 15 euros score looks like an 18$ score, plus shipping goes to around 23$ or so, which is considerable as a number... And there's no way around that! frown

Got to get an American distributor. Unfortunately I cannot offer my services but if you want a nationwide distributor for Andorra I'd be happy to oblige !

#2079239 - 05/08/13 11:31 AM Re: to accompany a music score with the recording or not? [Re: landorrano]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: landorrano
Got to get an American distributor. Unfortunately I cannot offer my services but if you want a nationwide distributor for Andorra I'd be happy to oblige !
Thank you so much!

Yes I know...

right now we've got a German distributor an soon a UK one, so things are moving ahead (remember that EMF has been running for like 14 months now, so I think we're clearly moving ahead! :)).

But as far as the USA is concerned, we've started dealings with amazon.com (if you check for various of our scores they are already there, and ready to be shipped, but I haven't filled in the images, so it's kinda lame right now. Should be fixed in a couple of days).

I've been bugging continuously sheetmusicplus.com and other websites but as of yet there's no reply (I guess we're too small for the time being). But this will change in due time! wink

So... Andorra huh? let's talk about it a bit further... smile Email me at nikolas *AT* musica-ferrum.com if you can (my inbox is almost full here...)

#2079244 - 05/08/13 11:40 AM Re: to accompany a music score with the recording or not? [Re: Nikolas]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Yes, Nikolas, it has been great to have you as a resource for tech support. smile I can see how including a CD could be cost prohibitive. In that case it is nice to have access to online recordings.

Edited by Ann in Kentucky (05/08/13 11:40 AM)

#2079369 - 05/08/13 03:04 PM Re: to accompany a music score with the recording or not? [Re: Nikolas]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
To listen to a CD, I rip it onto my computer and listen to it in iTunes, with speakers attached. (If I need to send it somewhere, I convert it to mp3 since CD files will crash emails, etc, because they're not compressed.)

Polyphonist

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
LACHNIT MK22
by Vas
38 minutes 2 seconds ago
You Usually Get what you Pay for in this World.......
by Paul678
Today at 08:22 PM
Steinway legs?
by Klavimaniac
Today at 06:58 PM
1875 legs and lyre where to get?
by Klavimaniac
Today at 06:02 PM
"It Don't mean A Thing (If it Ain't...
by prout
Today at 04:43 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159408 Topics
2341647 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission