2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 26 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 25 26
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
The speakers on the FP-7f were driving me crazy. Thanks to this thread and reading about the improvement in the speaker system in its replacement, I just exchanged my FP-7F for a FP-80, just before my 30-day return period was up and in time for the Memorial Day Sale at Guitar Center and a 15% discount!

After reading most of this thread, I think the only thing I will really miss about the fp-7F is the "lid" feature, which was graded 1-6. Did each gradation refer to a different height of an actual open Grand?--I didn't know they made them that adjustable -- and are the grand sounds on the FP-80 defaulted now to those with the lid totally closed? Also, has anyone been able to import open grand samples into the FP-80?

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Starr Keys
...Also, has anyone been able to import open grand samples into the FP-80?

Sorry, what do you mean by that ?

By the way, good question about the lid. Since it can't be adjusted anymore, is the sound setting always in what was previously known as 'closed' position ? Having the FP-80 next to the FP7f and do a 1:1 comparison over headphones might help to figure that out.

Hope you like the Fp-80. Most people didn't consider the improvements worth an upgrade from FP7F to Fp-80, but if the speakers we're your main concern, I can understand...

C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Having a FP-80 I would say it is always open.

Cheers,
Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Is there a big difference between the eq control (brilliance/tone etc) which all Roland SN pianos have anyway, and the lid open/ close filters? To put it another way: is the lid open control complex modelling or simply a glorified tone control?

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by JFP
[quote=Starr Keys]...Also, has anyone been able to import open grand samples into the FP-80?

Sorry, what do you mean by that ?

Hope you like the Fp-80. Most people didn't consider the improvements worth an upgrade from FP7F to Fp-80, but if the speakers we're your main concern, I can understand...

Not sure what the terminology would be since Roland uses modeling instead of samples, but I thought I read it was easier with the FP 80 to customize and bring in voices other than those already programmed into it.

Yes, I've got a very narrow space and not having a huge Monitor or having to attach computer speakers is important. But I think Toddy is right, the air recorder feature is a also a big plus, especially when you're taking classes.

Originally Posted by Cmin
Having a FP-80 I would say it is always open

Thanks. That's great, but then what are people complaining about? It sounds a lot better that way.

Last edited by Starr Keys; 05/27/13 05:54 PM.
C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
It just would be a neat feature to play around with, but it is not necessary.
(if you want a "closed" effect put a blanket over the speakers) smile

Last edited by Cmin; 05/28/13 03:11 AM.

Cheers,
Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200
X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
The default is not entirely open. My fav preset has it fully open. I don't know if it's just a glorified EQ setting or not.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
The default is not entirely open. My fav preset has it fully open. I don't know if it's just a glorified EQ setting or not.

That's what I was afraid of. Yes, fully open was the best.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Lid effect just diminished the presence and we don't need that. We need clarity of sound, not a muffling feature. The tone knob will basically achieve the same result.
What's really important is the action and how well it is designed to provide a stress free simulation of a good grand piano's action. How is the velocity curve? Does one have to get all the way down to the bottom of the key bed to press the sensors? On a real grand I can throw the hammers very well with only half way down keystrokes. I hate playing against springs and sensors!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
30 pages of posts here and almost nothing about the physical action, how stressful it is or isn't, and the dynamic response curve... sigh

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I would say the action is quite realistic due to the long pivot and the escapement. I personally glide and hover along the keys with ease without tiring out. The default value (50) for the key response IMHO is too light, so I usually set it a heavier. But like always it is a matter of taste.

Cheers,
Lenny

C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Just wanted to inform you that Roland will bring out an update for the FP-80 soon. So I was told by support.

Cheers,
Lenny

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
My Roland FP-80 is waiting for me to pick up at GC, but since I ordered it I read that the key design gemometry on the FP series is not good for small hands. This clicked because before I returned the fp-7f I worked on a song with runs and remembered thinking that all of a sudden it felt like my hand was too small for these runs, whereas I'd never had any trouble with them before. Does anyone know if they've changed the key design on the F-80? I know it's doubtful and for that reason I'm thinking of not even bothering to try it but getting a Kawai instead (went to a store and tried them out last weekend and the runs felt much less awkward.)

Last edited by Starr Keys; 06/04/13 03:58 PM.
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Cmin
Just wanted to inform you that Roland will bring out an update for the FP-80 soon. So I was told by support.

Since you obviously did an inquiry at Roland , any thought on what might be included in the update ?

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
My Roland FP-80 is waiting for me to pick up at GC, but since I ordered it I read that the key design gemometry on the FP series is not good for small hands.
The spacing of the keys and the key size is normal for a piano. I have smallish hands and it's not a problem, it's also not been a problem for when my 5-7 year old students have played on it.

Why not test it out at the store in comparison to other models?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by JFP

Since you obviously did an inquiry at Roland , any thought on what might be included in the update ?

Harmony effect on Audio In when a mic is also hooked up to mic input should be solved. Audio transpose also didn't work correctly.

I hope the rotary effect will be switchable with the pedal too, amongst other things.

Cheers,
Lenny

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Morodiene
My Roland FP-80 is waiting for me to pick up at GC, but since I ordered it I read that the key design gemometry on the FP series is not good for small hands.
The spacing of the keys and the key size is normal for a piano. I have smallish hands and it's not a problem, it's also not been a problem for when my 5-7 year old students have played on it

Thanks for your input, Morodiene. If I have the same 30 days to return I did on the fP-7f, maybe I will. The other thing I heard about the fp7f was that there was a hard bottoming out with the keys that made people's hands sore -- have you or your students complained of anything like this or know if it's been addressed in the FP-80?

Oh, BTW, I don't remember it being about the size of the keys, It had something to do with spacing between black and white and relationship and with a mechanism. I'll see if I can find the original post.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S

I agree that this is true with the the FP7F, compared to Kawai and Yamaha. The PHAIII keys have subtle differences in angles, edges, and size height and width of blacks (half millimetre) that I also struggled with. I posted this observation several times in the past. I only briefly tried an FP80 the other day and concluded it was the same.

M
M
Originally Posted by Morodiene
The spacing of the keys and the key size is normal for a piano. I have smallish hands and it's not a problem, it's also not been a problem for when my 5-7 year old students have played on it

Thanks for your input, Morodiene. If I have the same 30 days to return I did on the fP-7f, maybe I will. The other thing I heard about the fp7f was that there was a hard bottoming out with the keys that made people's hands sore -- have you or your students complained of anything like this or know if it's been addressed in the FP-80?

Oh, BTW, I don't remember it being about the size of the keys, It had something to do with spacing between black and white and relationship and with a mechanism. I'll see if I can find the original post.
Actually, no problems have arisen from that. Every piano, even acoustics, differ slightly in key size and spacing. So these things we have to adjust to when getting accustomed to a new piano. I do prefer a heavier touch - something I can really dig into. If you didn't like the FP-7F then I highly recommend you try out the FP-80 before taking it home. It always comes down to personal preference. As for it be bad for you, I'd have to say that any action could be bad for someone if they have technical issues in their playing. Apart from that, it is all what you prefer. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I received the FP-50 2 days ago and the action is too much work to play. I will return it and be sticking with the FP-4 and it's lighter action.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
Page 16 of 26 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission