Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2078897 - 05/07/13 04:22 PM M&H BB owner needs portable DP to practice while on the road
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

I spend a lot of time sitting in hotel rooms and would like to practice. I have a 7' grand at home and want to practice on a keyboard that has a reasonable feel to it. I don't care about the engine or output. Headphones are fine. Weight is an issue. I need to carry it from my plane to the hotel, so 40 pounds is about my limit. Thanks.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2078906 - 05/07/13 04:51 PM Re: M&H BB owner needs portable DP to practice while on the road [Re: Mwm]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
VAX77?

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2078908 - 05/07/13 04:55 PM Re: M&H BB owner needs portable DP to practice while on the road [Re: Mwm]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Casio PX-150, 24 lbs. The issue is getting it onto an airplane. It will have to be checked, which means you'll need a pretty substantial case, which will add travel weight. Nothing with a "reasonable feel" is likely to be amenable to carry-on (unless maybe you buy an extra ticket for it). The only thing I can think of that might pass carry-on, at least on some airlines, would be the foldable Infinite Response VAX77. It's about 6x the price of the Casio, though. But if you can afford it, it would probably be about the most pleasant board to travel with reasonably easily. Comes with a compact wheeling travel case, too.

#2078911 - 05/07/13 05:03 PM Re: M&H BB owner needs portable DP to practice while on the road [Re: anotherscott]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
Casio PX-150, 24 lbs. The issue is getting it onto an airplane. It will have to be checked, which means you'll need a pretty substantial case, which will add travel weight. Nothing with a "reasonable feel" is likely to be amenable to carry-on (unless maybe you buy an extra ticket for it). The only thing I can think of that might pass carry-on, at least on some airlines, would be the foldable Infinite Response VAX77. It's about 6x the price of the Casio, though. But if you can afford it, it would probably be about the most pleasant board to travel with reasonably easily. Comes with a compact wheeling travel case, too.

Thanks all. Fortunately, I am the pilot, so I can carry a full 88 and stick in the baggage compartment myself. It is just lugging it to the hotel that makes me want to keep the weight down. The Vax sounds cool, just a tad over my budget, which I blew on the Mason and Hamlin BB last year.

Edited by Mwm (05/07/13 05:04 PM)

#2078941 - 05/07/13 06:08 PM Re: M&H BB owner needs portable DP to practice while on the road [Re: Mwm]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
I have the PX-350, which is similar to the PX-150 in size, weight, and action. If you don't have to check it, it's great! Casio also sells a really nice, padded soft case that fits it like a glove and weighs very little.

If you do have to check it, you'll need a hardshell case, and then you're talking about a 50-lb, bulky item.

The alternatives are the VAX77 (cool, but expensive and unweighted keys); the RD-64 (looks great on paper, but only 64 keys and would also need a hardshell case for those of us who must check); and shorter boards with unweighted keys, like the NP-11.

This conundrum has been discussed on a number of other threads -- sorry, I don't have time to look them up now.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2078950 - 05/07/13 06:28 PM Re: M&H BB owner needs portable DP to practice while on the road [Re: Mwm]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mwm
Thanks all. Fortunately, I am the pilot, so I can carry a full 88 and stick in the baggage compartment myself.

That is the best answer to the question of how to best travel by air with a decent keyboard... become a pilot!

#2078978 - 05/07/13 07:17 PM Re: M&H BB owner needs portable DP to practice while on the road [Re: anotherscott]
Enthusiast Offline

Loc: UK
Roland FP-50 is 36 lbs.

#2078981 - 05/07/13 07:29 PM Re: M&H BB owner needs portable DP to practice while on the road [Re: Enthusiast]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Enthusiast
Roland FP-50 is 36 lbs.

Though if he doesn't care about the sound, I think the Casio feels better (at least based on having played the FP-4F) while also being much lighter (and cheaper).

#2079029 - 05/07/13 09:35 PM Re: M&H BB owner needs portable DP to practice while on the road [Re: anotherscott]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for all the info. My basic need is for an action that is relatively true to the grand weighting and feel (yes, i know there is a huge variation in the regulation on grands), and is light enough to carry. Sound, I think, is tertiary, though some people say that the feel of the DP keyboard is influenced by the sound you get out of it.

#2079096 - 05/08/13 02:11 AM Re: M&H BB owner needs portable DP to practice while on the road [Re: Mwm]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I think you are shooting for the moon as far as weight, budget and action is concerned. But you will get good info at this site

http://azpianonews.blogspot.com.au/

#2079159 - 05/08/13 07:18 AM Re: M&H BB owner needs portable DP to practice while on the road [Re: Mwm]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I think touch is something that you're going to have to just test out on your own to see what you like. That is such a personal thing, even if you don't buy it from the store you try it on, this is your number 1 criteria. Ask the clerk to show you all their stage pianos, try them out, and of the ones you like the feel the most, compare their weights. Go to as many stores and try out as many DPs as you can, take your headphones so you can have a more accurate idea of comparison for sound, too. And take notes on each model you try.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2079185 - 05/08/13 08:50 AM Re: M&H BB owner needs portable DP to practice while on the road [Re: Mwm]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Originally Posted By: Mwm
Thanks for all the info. My basic need is for an action that is relatively true to the grand weighting and feel (yes, i know there is a huge variation in the regulation on grands), and is light enough to carry. Sound, I think, is tertiary, though some people say that the feel of the DP keyboard is influenced by the sound you get out of it.

For your unique circumstances, the Casio PX-150 or 350 and the Casio Privia soft case would seem the ideal solution. Lightweight, full keyboard, good action, reasonable sound (especially through good headphones), very reasonable price.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2079202 - 05/08/13 10:02 AM Re: M&H BB owner needs portable DP to practice while on the road [Re: Mwm]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks again eveyone. I have a 27 year old Clavinova at home that I use for practicing repertoire at 415 or 392 Hz. The action is sort of OK and I have not tried any of the new keyboards, so I am looking forward to trying a bunch. The Casio Px-150 seems as if it may be the best overall choice, but only touching it will tell.

Cheers

#2079219 - 05/08/13 10:38 AM Re: M&H BB owner needs portable DP to practice while on the road [Re: Mwm]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
Roland RD300NX? No speakers so weight saving there, it sounds nice, costs a grand and has nice touch and escapement sorta. It is rather long though because of a joystick on the end.

#2079225 - 05/08/13 10:49 AM Re: M&H BB owner needs portable DP to practice while on the road [Re: justpin]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: justpin
Roland RD300NX? No speakers so weight saving there, it sounds nice, costs a grand and has nice touch and escapement sorta. It is rather long though because of a joystick on the end.

I'll check it out. Sitting in a hotel room as we write.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
09/30/14 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:45 AM
Cleveland International Piano Competition
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:42 AM
International Junior Piano Competition & Festival
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:35 AM
Who's Online
138 registered (anotherscott, accordeur, ajames, A Guy, 38 invisible), 1577 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76376 Members
42 Forums
157889 Topics
2318794 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission