Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
61 registered (AtlantisHero, Adypiano, AZNpiano, allakart, 13 invisible), 1128 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2079144 - 05/08/13 06:22 AM Roland Fantom G8 any experience
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Fantom G series of Roland and the quality of the AP sounds and EP sounds + organ in particular.

1) I know the standard AP isn't super natural, but apart from that, is it a good grand piano sound that can be played dynamically and doesn't sound too short looped & layered ?

2) The Fantom can be expanded with the ARX SN EP board. Anyone knows if this is a good board and on par with the SN EP's that can be found on later Roland gear like the RD700NX , Integra7 , Jupiter and FP-80 ?

3) Are the Organs based on ToneWheel emulation , like on the RD-NX / FP-80 , or are they pure sample based. If sample based ; any good ? Can the faders be used as drawbar controls ?

4) Since there's an SN AP expansion board for the RD700GX series , that is presumably a ARX board (?) ; will it also work in the Fantom ? Or will Roland 'ever' bring out a SN AP expansion for the Fantom G series ? I read somewhere that Roland probably wasn't going to , but perhaps a Fantom owner has more info on that.

Any info on this board is appreciated. Could buy one now that there are quite good second hand offers and wonder if the Fantom should be skipped , or if it's worth the consideration. It seems it was developed in the better times of Roland (pre-crisis) and has a very good feature set and build-quality. I also would like to use it for live performance and like lots of HQ controls, but if the sound is too dated that will be a drawback and probably a deal-breaker.

Example : almost new Fantom G7 (AT) to get for less than a Jupiter-50 (no AT). Are the Jupiters that much better or will a Fantom with SN EP board eat the Jupiter for lunch ?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2079190 - 05/08/13 09:22 AM Re: Roland Fantom G8 any experience [Re: JFP]
emenelton Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JFP
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Fantom G series of Roland

Owned a G6

and the quality of the AP sounds and EP sounds + organ in particular.

AP and EP sounds are good

1) I know the standard AP isn't super natural, but apart from that, is it a good grand piano sound that can be played dynamically and doesn't sound too short looped & layered ?

Yes

2) The Fantom can be expanded with the ARX SN EP board. Anyone knows if this is a good board and on par with the SN EP's that can be found on later Roland gear like the RD700NX , Integra7 , Jupiter and FP-80 ?

Don't know visit rolandclan

3) Are the Organs based on ToneWheel emulation , like on the RD-NX / FP-80 ,

No

or are they pure sample based. If sample based ; any good ?

Good but typical

Can the faders be used as drawbar controls ?

No

4) Since there's an SN AP expansion board for the RD700GX series , that is presumably a ARX board (?) ; will it also work in the Fantom ?

No

Or will Roland 'ever' bring out a SN AP expansion for the Fantom G series ? I read somewhere that Roland probably wasn't going to , but perhaps a Fantom owner has more info on that.

Any info on this board is appreciated. Could buy one now that there are quite good second hand offers and wonder if the Fantom should be skipped , or if it's worth the consideration. It seems it was developed in the better times of Roland (pre-crisis)

It was the cause of rolands crisis

and has a very good feature set and build-quality. I also would like to use it for live performance and like lots of HQ controls,

It has excellent controls

but if the sound is too dated that will be a drawback and probably a deal-breaker.

Very heavy

Example : almost new Fantom G7 (AT) to get for less than a Jupiter-50 (no AT). Are the Jupiters that much better or will a Fantom with SN EP board eat the Jupiter for lunch ?

Jupiter is much better sound wise. I currently own the integra.

#2079255 - 05/08/13 11:55 AM Re: Roland Fantom G8 any experience [Re: JFP]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Seems the Integra-7 and/or Jupiter is a better deal ? JP50 problem is the lack of Aftertouch, which was standard on all Fantom's. I like to use that. I know the JP80 has it , but that one is out of my budget and the fantom I can currently get cheap, so if it's still a great board - very tempting. Also it seems to have a great audio interface integrated; sort of an all-in-one solution. if Roland had ever announced an AP SN board for the G series, it would be a no brainer.

By the way I noticed that the Piano Designer settings on Jupiter and Integra are much simpler than on the Roland HP, FP and RD series. Don't know if this means the SN AP on these boards is a stripped down version compared to the other piano's , or the exact same engine , just with a little less parameters to customize.

Note: funny ; a full-blown synth has much less parameters to tweak your sound than the same presets on a home piano model.

#2079458 - 05/08/13 06:20 PM Re: Roland Fantom G8 any experience [Re: JFP]
emenelton Offline
500 Post Club Member

Remember it's an extremely heavy and bulky G8 and has no sn sounds. It's EP on board are pretty good and it has other good sounds as well. It is a reasonable statement to say that none of it's sounds are as good as Roland's current SN offerings.

It is considered a disappointing let-down by the fandom x owners who mistakenly migrated to it.

The guy from the Roots uses a G7 on Jimmy Fallon.

#2080149 - 05/10/13 03:46 AM Re: Roland Fantom G8 any experience [Re: emenelton]
maduro Offline

I own a lot of roland products including the Fantom G
and I will be honest with you I am very disapointed by the Acoustic pianos.

That being said the action is not horrible.
and I believe with some tweaking the Acousitc piano could probably be better.
like with most fantoms the sound from left to right gets way to bright.

The biggerst sore point with owning a fantom is the lack of expandability
no serious third party sounds

There is an Italian company that makes piano sounds for the roland G that from the demo sound good I have not bought them yet but the price is low enough to make it worth my while to shop it
piano sounds for fantom

I do have the ARX piano board expansion and and happy with it.
very usable and flexible

I think it sucks that I still would need an expansion like the integra to make my piano sound natural.
Roland has the srx board the complete piano which was a great sounding expansion. why would they not bring that into their Fantom.

I give up I am going with the Korg Kronos

However I will keep my Roland it is great for pop and dance music not that I do much of that. and yes it is very bulky and heavy. I am a pretty strong guy but lugging this beast around is too much of a chore.
I always try to opt for light for gigs.
studio logic and a module is the way to go for me for gigging

If I were to do it over again
I would buy the Kronos.
Roland just let Fantom owners down.
I think they owed it to the fantom owners to at least
make the programming architecture privy to third party software developers so that it wasnt like pulling teeth to make third party software.

#2080169 - 05/10/13 05:36 AM Re: Roland Fantom G8 any experience [Re: JFP]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Originally Posted By: JFP
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Fantom G series of Roland and the quality of the AP sounds and EP sounds + organ in particular.

Yes I have had a G8 previously .... Ended up giving it away. You wouldn't buy one if AP/EP and organs were your focus. It had great pads and synths typical of a Roland and some interesting stuff in the sequencer. But it failed miserably in the market as it had a lot of bugs and roland didn't support it very well if at all.
You would be better off with a I-7

#2080174 - 05/10/13 06:16 AM Re: Roland Fantom G8 any experience [Re: JFP]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you all.

So in short Fantom is not a good choice if you're interested in good AP / EP / Organ sounds, apart from the other synths stuff.

As a controller board it seems great though. Plenty of I/O , controls, Aftertouch etc. Perhaps a good general MIDI controller for softsynths ?

Pity Roland never brought out more ARX boards , like a SN A-piano expansion. Why they did that for the RD700GX and NOT for the Fantom owners is a mystery to me. Not a nice way to tread your premium (and premium paying) customers.

Anyway, I'll move on and let the "G" offers for what it is.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Are there any upright owners who leave the front open?
by harpon
11/29/14 01:00 AM
They don't call him the 'Poet of the Piano' for nothing!
by JoelW
11/28/14 11:53 PM
Steinway rebuild question
by schlaigs
11/28/14 10:00 PM
Baldwin Hamilton Hammer Butt and Back Stop Leather
by Ryan Hassell
11/28/14 09:55 PM
Please help me to find out the pattern of this Cdim7
by SZ54
11/28/14 08:12 PM
Forum Stats
77083 Members
42 Forums
159435 Topics
2342080 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission