Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
81 registered (Anticlock, anotherscott, 29 invisible), 1155 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2079212 - 05/08/13 10:30 AM Grad School auditions
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
I am just coming off a very successful semester. Got an A for my junior recital(and all things considered I was just happy to make it that far). Next semester I have to get ready for grad school auditions. There are some obvious places I will audition at, Conservatory in Cincinnati, IU, probably northwestern in Chicago, but I wanted to know of any other good places. I currently live and go to school in the Midwest, and I know there are places I have not even considered.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2079215 - 05/08/13 10:32 AM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: jdhampton924]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Are you not willing to leave that area and go to a good school maybe far away?

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2079221 - 05/08/13 10:41 AM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: jdhampton924]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Salt Lake City
University of Michigan and the Cleveland Institute are both excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/

#2079265 - 05/08/13 12:07 PM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: jdhampton924]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
What are you hoping to get from graduate school? What goals do you have in life?

#2080237 - 05/10/13 09:49 AM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: Pogorelich.]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
Are you not willing to leave that area and go to a good school maybe far away?

I am totally willing to leave the area. In fact I would prefer to leave, but I do have some time on this. So I am taking my time, researching all my options.

#2080241 - 05/10/13 09:53 AM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: BDB]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BDB
What are you hoping to get from graduate school? What goals do you have in life?

Long story short, I want my doctorate in performance, I am good enough, and over the past couple years have been able to work out bad habits.

My main concern is my age, I am 26, not old by any means, but it has already affected me. It bluntly was a lot harder to get back into school for piano performance a couple years ago. I ended up going to a smaller school(Indiana State University), because the financial aid was just not there for me. At the end of the day this was good for me. I ended up getting a lot of help and attention from my current teacher, who graduated from Eastman. Who helped me push into areas I was not comfortable in before as well as become a more independent artist and academic.

#2080263 - 05/10/13 10:27 AM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: jdhampton924]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
What are your thoughts on IU?

#2080272 - 05/10/13 10:48 AM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: jdhampton924]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
JD -

At 26 you're not too old to pursue your dream.

Three other possible considerations - University of Missouri/Kansas City, University of North Texas, Arizona State University.

#2080384 - 05/10/13 03:23 PM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: jdhampton924]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
University of Texas at Austin and University of Southern California both have great piano teachers.

#2080386 - 05/10/13 03:27 PM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: jdhampton924]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Why has no one mentioned Curtis or Juilliard?

Or is the OP only looking for liberal arts colleges with music programs?

Polyphonist

#2080402 - 05/10/13 03:52 PM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: Polyphonist]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
If you want to stay in the midwest (but not necessarily in your immediate area), it looks as though you have an embarrassment of riches, based on this link: Top Music Schools.

I have no idea how credible the list is, and yes, I know it's from 2010, but it would appear that of the top 10 schools, 6 are in the midwest, with IU and Michigan taking the 2nd and 3rd slots respectively. Not too shabby.

Edited by Old Man (05/10/13 04:59 PM)

#2080419 - 05/10/13 04:17 PM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: Polyphonist]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

I believe you just did. grin

Quote:

The majority of institutions suggested are much more than "liberal arts colleges" with music programs.

#2080433 - 05/10/13 04:53 PM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: Polyphonist]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well, big reason I don't mention them, is those are kind of duh places to look into(whether I could get in or not is another question all together). I am mostly looking for places I didn't think of. There are a lot of schools out there, a lot of fantastic teachers.

#2080456 - 05/10/13 06:01 PM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: jdhampton924]
BDB Offline

Originally Posted By: jdhampton924

Long story short, I want my doctorate in performance, I am good enough, and over the past couple years have been able to work out bad habits.

My main concern is my age, I am 26, not old by any means, but it has already affected me. It bluntly was a lot harder to get back into school for piano performance a couple years ago. I ended up going to a smaller school(Indiana State University), because the financial aid was just not there for me. At the end of the day this was good for me. I ended up getting a lot of help and attention from my current teacher, who graduated from Eastman. Who helped me push into areas I was not comfortable in before as well as become a more independent artist and academic.

After you get a doctorate in performance, what do you want to do? Do you want to teach, or do you want to perform? A doctorate in performance may only be a piece of paper that you hang on the wall. (Or not, as all my degrees are in a file cabinet.) Or it could be your opportunity to work out whatever is keeping you from going on the track that you want to follow. What are your weaknesses? Are there areas of your education that are lacking? Are there technical problems that you are not able to work out by yourself? Are there musical problems? If there are, you need a place that can do more than help you to work them out, you need to learn how you can figure out how to work them out for yourself, and others, if you are going to teach. Are you familiar with the business end of the business: what you need for your taxes, and set up your books, as well as your scheduling? Do you how to deal with agents, accountants, unions, stage hands, piano technicians, insurance agents, and all those other wonderful people who can help you or hurt you? Do you know about stagecraft, enough to know how you should be lit, miked or whatever? Can you teach these things to others, if you want to teach?

It seems you have been fortunate enough to have learned that a big name school may not be the best for you. Now is the time to look at which way you are going and decide how to get there. It is something to discuss with your current teachers, as well. They should have some good advice for you.

#2080499 - 05/10/13 08:06 PM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: BDB]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

After you get a doctorate in performance, what do you want to do? Do you want to teach, or do you want to perform? A doctorate in performance may only be a piece of paper that you hang on the wall. (Or not, as all my degrees are in a file cabinet.) Or it could be your opportunity to work out whatever is keeping you from going on the track that you want to follow. What are your weaknesses? Are there areas of your education that are lacking? Are there technical problems that you are not able to work out by yourself? Are there musical problems? If there are, you need a place that can do more than help you to work them out, you need to learn how you can figure out how to work them out for yourself, and others, if you are going to teach. Are you familiar with the business end of the business: what you need for your taxes, and set up your books, as well as your scheduling? Do you how to deal with agents, accountants, unions, stage hands, piano technicians, insurance agents, and all those other wonderful people who can help you or hurt you? Do you know about stagecraft, enough to know how you should be lit, miked or whatever? Can you teach these things to others, if you want to teach?

It seems you have been fortunate enough to have learned that a big name school may not be the best for you. Now is the time to look at which way you are going and decide how to get there. It is something to discuss with your current teachers, as well. They should have some good advice for you.

I want to perform at the end of the day, I love doing it, but it is important to me that I be able to teach to others what I know. That is why I want my doctorate. As for strengths: I am adaptable(I have successfully done accompanying, or jumped in with jazz combos), I am very independent when it comes to learning music. I have a good knowledge of theory, and history. When I decided to go back and finish my degree, I had to do all the work myself. Learning and memorizing the pieces. I had not had lessons in a couple years.

While I am proud of my independence I have not had the best technical abilities. Though, that is one area I have made major strides in. I have seen some of the business side of things, when I was not in school, but obviously I could definitely know more. I do know a bit about stage craft, more so about sound, and how to mic the piano. As well as other aspects of stagecraft(maybe I mean showmanship more) like how to move when performing.

As random as it sounds, my biggest problem was my weight...I am definitely too fat, and have been working on that aspect on getting a healthier lifestyle, which helps with energy, focus, appearance even.

#2080586 - 05/11/13 02:38 AM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: jdhampton924]
BDB Offline

I hope I have been able to give you some hints towards the direction that you want to go. If you are concerned about your weight and fitness, a school that does not have the facilities to work on that may not be the best for you. (Maybe you should look for someplace where people dance, which is great both for exercise and improving your rhythmic sense. I remember talking to a member of my club who told me, "Golf, that's no exercise! I go dancing four or five times a week!" He was about 96 years old when he told me that!)

If you want to teach, you should begin to concentrate on what methods work for you even more than what advances you are using. Methods are important: think of "Teach someone to fish" instead of "Give someone a fish." So you need to spend at least as much time studying how you improve as you spend improving yourself, and you should remember that for your students.

Are you happy with your interpretive ability? Are you successful in interpreting music to your audience, even when you are not feeling entirely secure in your technique? Could you impart that ability to a student?

If you think about these things, you will be clearer on the way you need to go. There are some things you could work on now, which can be fruitful. But remember, the goal of a doctorate is to show not just that you have learned things, but that you are capable of making new strides on your own. So try to think of clever ways to make progress by yourself. Good instructors can help, but you have to aim beyond them. When it comes to finding an institution for your next step, think of what you might want to help you in those strides.

As a side note, since you are interested in fitness, you might want to look into the research of E. Robert Schmitz, who made a study of the physiology of piano playing after becoming aware of the necessity following his service in WWI. His works are not so easy to come by now, but I do not know anyone else who has written anything about that aspect of pianism, particularly combining his book, The Capture of Inspiration, with his editions of music, including the Etudes of Chopin and Virgil Thompson.

#2081106 - 05/11/13 11:41 PM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: jdhampton924]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

What about the size of school you would do best in? Big fish in small pond, or small fish in big pond?

#2081924 - 05/13/13 01:47 PM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: jdhampton924]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

As random as it sounds, my biggest problem was my weight...I am definitely too fat, and have been working on that aspect on getting a healthier lifestyle, which helps with energy, focus, appearance even.

Getting away from Evansville will help with that. It must be the most obese city in the nation.

#2081945 - 05/13/13 02:47 PM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: Plowboy]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Plowboy

Getting away from Evansville will help with that. It must be the most obese city in the nation.

We are pretty high up there fore sure, also high up on the list of most unhappy cities. I can see it, nearly all my friends have lost any sense of idealism, and passion, in most cases feeling that life is over in their mid 20s.

#2081949 - 05/13/13 02:58 PM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: jdhampton924]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
I can see it, nearly all my friends have lost any sense of idealism, and passion, in most cases feeling that life is over in their mid 20s.

The come to the East coast!

#2081963 - 05/13/13 03:27 PM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: jdhampton924]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

We are pretty high up there fore sure, also high up on the list of most unhappy cities. I can see it, nearly all my friends have lost any sense of idealism, and passion, in most cases feeling that life is over in their mid 20s.

In the late 1970s I declined a job offer as General Manager of the Evansville Symphony Orchestra - partly because I decided that orchestral management was not the best career choice for me - but also because during my visits to Evansville I felt a deep sense of "isolation" from the rest of the world. You've obviously had a good experience there - which is great !! But you would probably be wise to relocate to (or near) a larger metropolitan area for your graduate studies - just to have that type of experience as well.

#2081974 - 05/13/13 03:46 PM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: carey]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: carey

In the late 1970s I declined a job offer as General Manager of the Evansville Symphony Orchestra - partly because I decided that orchestral management was not the best career choice for me - but also because during my visits to Evansville I felt a deep sense of "isolation" from the rest of the world. You've obviously had a good experience there - which is great !! But you would probably be wise to relocate to (or near) a larger metropolitan area for your graduate studies - just to have that type of experience as well.

Actually what you touch on here is how I feel as well. I have talked with friends many times especially after the Unhappy city stuff came out. "Isolation" is the perfect term for it. Our orchestra is decent overall, but overall we are isolated, and pretty self sufficient. It works, sometimes the economy here has not been the worst, but at the same time, it feels that everything happens outside of town. We are not really "close" to many things. Only about 90 minutes from Louisville. I go to school in Terre Haute indiana, it feels a lot like Evansville sometimes, but part of life there is going up to Indianapolis which does have a bit more to it. At least in the arts.

#2081983 - 05/13/13 04:15 PM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: jdhampton924]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

OK - you're in school at Terre Haute - not Evansville - got it !!

An Army buddy of mine taught piano at the University in Terre Haute from 1967 to 2007. Through my job I used to visit arts groups in Terra Haute (traveling from Indianapolis) in the late 1970's. My impression of Terre Haute was pretty much the same as Evansville. grin Fortunately there is more going on in the arts in Indianapolis. Visiting a city like Indy is not quite the same thing as actually living there. Hope you will be able to relocate to a more stimulating community in the future !!! thumb

#2082056 - 05/13/13 07:10 PM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: jdhampton924]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

It's not all bad. The museum has a pretty decent art collection, and I liked the planetarium. The riverfront is beautiful, the Clean Water Act did the river a lot of good.

But on my visits back, there really is a layer of depression over the city. Especially in the winter, when everything becomes one shade of gray, from the ground up.

It's best days are in the past it seems, now that industry has left.

Good luck with your search.

edit: If I was going to move back to Indiana to live, it would be in Bloomington. (I wouldn't call them nightmares, but occasionally I have these disturbing dreams that I've moved back to E'ville.)

Edited by Plowboy (05/13/13 07:14 PM)

#2082065 - 05/13/13 07:28 PM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: Plowboy]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It's not all bad. The museum has a pretty decent art collection, and I liked the planetarium. The riverfront is beautiful, the Clean Water Act did the river a lot of good.

But on my visits back, there really is a layer of depression over the city. Especially in the winter, when everything becomes one shade of gray, from the ground up.

It's best days are in the past it seems, now that industry has left.

Good luck with your search.

edit: If I was going to move back to Indiana to live, it would be in Bloomington. (I wouldn't call them nightmares, but occasionally I have these disturbing dreams that I've moved back to E'ville.)

I had the pleasure of working at the Museum here for about 8 years, as a volunteer. I started when I was 13, and stopped when I was 21. I have a lot of fond memories of that place. Helped out with camp ins, put on many of the science demonstrations, and was shown how to operate the planetarium(highlight right there). I think my picture is still up on their website. I also got lucky enough to perform a solo piano recital there. In their big room with most of the paintings. It was a very nice experience, and good atmosphere for a recital. I had a pretty good turn out as well.

Edited by jdhampton924 (05/13/13 07:28 PM)

#2082183 - 05/13/13 11:24 PM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: jdhampton924]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

... and was shown how to operate the planetarium(highlight right there).

Now THAT is cool!

#2082196 - 05/14/13 12:21 AM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Online   content

Loc: New York
Why has no one mentioned Curtis or Juilliard?....

Maybe this is an OK place to bring this up......

I've been surprised to never see any discussion here of the 3 conservatories in New York City: Juilliard, Mannes, and Manhattan. (Maybe there's been some discussion but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been much, at least any time lately.) I mean, all the time we have discussions comparing all kinds of other things, like composers or pieces or pianists, and this seems like a natural thing that people would want to be comparing too.

Maybe there's an assumption that it's just an easy thing without much to be said: Juilliard is the place, the others aren't, and you only consider them if you can't get into Juilliard. Maybe to some extent that's true but I know it's not the whole story. And I don't know a lot about this, but I'd be interested to see discussion of it some time....

#2082201 - 05/14/13 12:36 AM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: jdhampton924]
boo1234 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Do you really need a doctorate in piano performance if you want to perform for a living? Are they going to pay you via assistantships or grants or are you going to go into debt to get the diploma? If you're going to have to finance it for yourself, I'd say skip it.

#2082216 - 05/14/13 01:25 AM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: Mark_C]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Juilliard is the place, the others aren't...

Many would disagree with you on that - for example, I know many who believe Curtis to be a better school than Juilliard. Probably we have members here who attended these schools...why don't we ask them? grin

Polyphonist

#2082237 - 05/14/13 02:05 AM Re: Grad School auditions [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Online   content

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Juilliard is the place, the others aren't...

Many would disagree with you on that....

Did you stop reading my post right there? grin

(I disagreed with it!)

And besides, I wasn't talking about comparing it with Curtis, only with the other conservatories in NYC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hammer felt repairs. Advice Please
by Beachdingo
11/23/14 02:12 AM
Keyframe corner rounded at una corda spring contact
by sopranojam85
11/23/14 12:04 AM
Yamaha Grantouch GT 10
by Valhalun
11/22/14 11:55 PM
Hamelin plays Gershwin
by beet31425
11/22/14 11:02 PM
Yamaha CP1 Vs CP4 Regardless of Price and weight :)
by Tylor
11/22/14 10:21 PM
Forum Stats
77013 Members
42 Forums
159280 Topics
2339816 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission