Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2079250 - 05/08/13 11:45 AM Do you listen to opera?
BWV 846 Offline

Loc: Silver Spring, Maryland
I presume that most people on this bulletin board listen to a lot of classical music. Do you also listen to opera/attend operas? If so, do you find that you like works from the same time periods for opera and for other music?

I generally prefer Baroque and Classical Music to Romantic/Modern music, and my preferences are similar for opera (My tie for favorite opera: Magic Flute and Marriage of Figaro).

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2079254 - 05/08/13 11:54 AM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: BWV 846]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes. Mostly period performances- Lully, Cherubini, Handel, Purcell, Mozart (My wife is a classical singer doing these gigs, so I go and love them).

#2079267 - 05/08/13 12:08 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: BWV 846]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By: BWV 846
I generally prefer Baroque and Classical Music to Romantic/Modern music, and my preferences are similar for opera (My tie for favorite opera: Magic Flute and Marriage of Figaro).

Yes, those are incredible works. The last scene of Figaro has some of my favorite musical moments of any composer.

There are also a lot of great post-Classical operas. Wagner's Parsifal. Debussy's Pelléas et Mélisande. Schoenberg's Moses und Aron. Sometimes I think that some composers we think we know (Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky) we don't really know until we know their operas.

-J

#2079270 - 05/08/13 12:11 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: BWV 846]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Only in the form of piano transcriptions.

#2079293 - 05/08/13 12:47 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: BWV 846]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
I love attending live opera performances, and my tastes are very broad.

I've never much been drawn to either audio or video recordings.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2079319 - 05/08/13 01:34 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: BWV 846]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I once graded math exams during a Met opera rehearsal. Does that count?

#2079323 - 05/08/13 01:43 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: BWV 846]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I highly recommend listening to Puccini and Verdi. They were masters of the melodic line and I think pianists can learn a lot about making their own music "sing" if they listen to these operas.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2079329 - 05/08/13 01:55 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: pianoloverus]
IstvŠnE Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

What is wrong with you?

#2079330 - 05/08/13 01:56 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: BWV 846]
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC
Indeed I do, from Handel to Wagner!

Piano students should be aware that Chopin encouraged his students to attend the opera to gain insight in how to play his (and other composers') melodic lines in a lyrical, vocal style. One can learn a great deal about phrasing, particularly - but not limited to - in the operas of the bel canto era : Bellini, Donizetti, Rossini, early Verdi, etc.

One can find such close parallels in the vocal lines of Bellini arias and the melody lines in Chopin. Sometimes the similarities are remarkable.

Regards,

#2079331 - 05/08/13 01:59 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: BWV 846]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
I was surrounded by opera during my early years. My parents were huge opera buffs, so I've got a ton of arias swimming around in my head, even though I probably can't identify a single one! confused And like you, Morodiene, they believed the greatest operas (for them, the ONLY operas) came from Italy: Verdi, Puccini, Donizetti, Rossini. (And, of course, they would include a certain Frenchie named Bizet.) But German opera, forget it. They did enjoy Mozart's operas, but hated Wagner.

I guess there is one aria that I can identify (who can't?), "Un Bel Di", from "Madama Butterfly". Despite the fact I've heard it thousands of times, it never fails to reduce me to tears.

#2079336 - 05/08/13 02:04 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: BWV 846]
riley80 Offline

Loc: Florida
Brings back memories of a time when I'd spend winter Saturday afternoons with the Texaco opera on the radio. Poor person's entertainment, I called it. The SO was out working, my housework was done, and I'd lie there in the dark taking in the wonderful sounds.

Sadly, I do not live close to live performances anymore, but still recall a particular "Madama Butterfly" performance which left me in tears and I dared not leave my seat for a few minutes. In the final moments, during those final chords, he enters the room, she takes the plunge and the curtain also started to come down. Dramatic as all get out. I never forgot it.

#2079344 - 05/08/13 02:18 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: BWV 846]
BruceD Online   content

Who else on this forum can boast recordings of all 27 Verdi operas (with scores of 26 of them (at the time, I could not find the score of Un Giorno di regno frown )) and all 12 of the Puccini operas, along with the scores?

I have only eight of the operas of Mozart on CD, however. When it comes to Donizetti (over 70 operas! forget about it) and of Bellini, five. All told 130 complete operas on CD; if only I had time to listen to them all regularly!

Cheers smile

#2079346 - 05/08/13 02:23 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: BWV 846]
Medium Heights Offline

Loc: Banned
A little. There are some passages hidden in Wagner for example which it would be pity for one to not know. I may not be musical enough to deeply enjoy most of classical music or any music, but I can tell the difference between unique music and something that's merely beautiful, and it is the former I'm interested in and find passages of in places like Don Giovanni (Mozart) and Wagner operas.

Wagner especially is a genius of unique moments, even if his operas are difficult to listen to from beginning to end for me personally.

#2079360 - 05/08/13 02:53 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: BWV 846]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I like attending live opera (except I'm not a big fan of the Italian romantics.)

I don't like listening to recordings. Listening to opera seems like a very incomplete experience to me.

(Same with musical theater. I like listening to shows I've done, but if I don't know the show, the music loses a lot of its meaning and charm.)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2079379 - 05/08/13 03:36 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: BWV 846]
BruceD Online   content

I guess that I should add that I not only listen to opera - my listening experience is quite different from that of Kreisler's - I also subscribe to the local opera company's performances. While POV (Pacific Opera Victoria) is a local company with no really big name stars on their roster, they have high production values, good direction with good (sometimes exceptionally good) singers, and their performances are accompanied by the VSO, our outstanding symphony orchestra.

With the current economic situation, POV gives us only three - instead of the previous four - productions a year, but those usually include two standards and one a little less known.

This year we heard Verdi's Macbeth, Britten's Albert Herring and Puccini's Tosca. The 2013-14 season will present Verdi's Falstaff, Strauss' Ariadne auf Naxos and Mozart's Le Nozze di Figaro - not bad for a local company!

Regards,

#2079387 - 05/08/13 03:44 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: Damon]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Originally Posted By: Damon

Aww you're missing out man! laugh

I love opera! Attending it, watching video, or listening to recordings. I do agree with Kreisler, but I haven't experienced enough, so I want to do anything and everything.

I agree with the OP that I prefer Baroque and Classical opera, but I also love Romantic and Modern opera. Recently, I've gotten a little into Jake Heggie smile

#2079389 - 05/08/13 03:52 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: BWV 846]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Ok,

I don't like opera! At all! I'm not sure what's wrong with me, to be honest, but every time I've been in an opera house I fall asleep. And not only at a young age (which can be excusable).

I must be insane, given the fact that I'm a composer and a musician and blah blah, but in any case that's the bare truth.

#2079390 - 05/08/13 03:52 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: BWV 846]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
It does make it an easier experience to watch opera on DVD or the occasional PBS broadcast.

Since I'm not fluent in whatever language the opera is written in I can at least follow what's going on with English subtitles (regardless of how bad and sometimes humorous the translations can be). I would be pretty lost just listening to the music.

I don't think you can really get an idea for Mozart's music without exposure to his operas. I've listened/watched the whole Wagner ring cycle more than a couple of times. It would be an interesting exercise to listen with the score.

#2079391 - 05/08/13 03:53 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: BruceD]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
I guess that I should add that I not only listen to opera - my listening experience is quite different from that of Kreisler's - I also subscribe to the local opera company's performances. While POV (Pacific Opera Victoria) is a local company with no really big name stars on their roster, they have high production values, good direction with good (sometimes exceptionally good) singers, and their performances are accompanied by the VSO, our outstanding symphony orchestra.

With the current economic situation, POV gives us only three - instead of the previous four - productions a year, but those usually include two standards and one a little less known.

This year we heard Verdi's Macbeth, Britten's Albert Herring and Puccini's Tosca. The 2013-14 season will present Verdi's Falstaff, Strauss' Ariadne auf Naxos and Mozart's Le Nozze di Figaro - not bad for a local company!

Regards,

Very cool. It's great to have a local opera company. Britten's Albert Herring is incredible. I love it.

#2079439 - 05/08/13 05:30 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: BWV 846]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Everything the mature Mozart wrote is operatic in nature, so I can't imagine any pianist who loves playing Mozart not having listened - at the very least - to the three Da Ponte operas.

And everything the mature Chopin wrote (his Nocturnes especially) is based on his ideal of bel canto operatic arias. One cannot know Chopin's piano style without having heard - at the very least - arias from Bellini and Donizetti operas.

Of course, there are composers like the three B's (Bach, Beethoven, Brahms) whose keyboard/piano writing have no influence from opera, but I believe that all pianists should have an all-round knowledge of classical genres - and that includes opera. Including even Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen, whatever you think of the composer and/or his music.

For me, I can never get enough of Mozart's mature operas (including the Singspiel Die Zauberflöte), or Puccini's. And I always have a soft spot in my heart for Humperdinck's Hänsel und Gretel, and not just at Christmas.......

#2079450 - 05/08/13 05:55 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: IstvŠnE]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: gizzards

What is wrong with you?
Don't worry. I concentrated mostly on the math tests so I didn't make any mistakes correcting them.

#2079451 - 05/08/13 05:59 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: BWV 846]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
My favorite opera composer is Rossini. I don't like all of his operas; but I also like some of his non-opera works.
My favorite overall classical composer is Beethoven. But I prefer some of his symphonies, sonatas and concertos to his opera.

Basically: Composers wrote stuff I like and stuff I don't care about much. Sometimes I like their operas, sometimes I prefer other works.

#2079468 - 05/08/13 07:03 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: pianoloverus]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Originally Posted By: gizzards

What is wrong with you?
Don't worry. I concentrated mostly on the math tests so I didn't make any mistakes correcting them.

laugh

#2079475 - 05/08/13 07:22 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: BWV 846]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Yes.

Music is my best friend.

#2079482 - 05/08/13 07:47 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: BWV 846]
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
I also love opera (this has just started in recent years, actually) - enjoying both live opera, as well as opera DVDs.

Actually, opera is quite tough for me because usually I get confused whenever there are more than three characters... blush that's why it takes several sessions for me to really appreciate a plot (not even to speak of the music, of course!). I remember when I first saw Mozart's Figaro (my favorite) I was quite lost by the many mutual connections between the different characters, and their diverse agendas. Well, once I understood it, I really loved it more and more, and I think it's a wonderful work also by Da Ponte (well, I don't know how much he built on Beaumarchais) to make all the main characters so lively, individual, and non-stereotypical. And then, of course, the music! Every number in itself would be enough to make a composer immortal for history. And yet it all appears so effortless. For me, the emotional peaks are the two arias of the Countess (Porgi Amor and Dove Sono). Also of course the wonderful finale, and I love how in the end it evokes the nervously festive string figurations from the overture again, somehow closing a cycle...back to beginning? Btw, just a minor detail, I always wondered why the overture is notated in 4/4. If ever a movement would be with "alla breve" feeling, it would be this one, I think...

One composer I can't (yet) properly appreciate is Verdi. Maybe during this year of celebrations I will find my sympathy for his music?!

P.S. Anyone ever listened to some operas from the "second-tier" (from today's perspective; they used to be very famous in their times of course) composers of the classical era, for example Paisiello? I think it's quite worth it! I only "discovered" Paisiello because of the Beethoven variations smile

#2079484 - 05/08/13 07:50 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: Old Man]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: Old Man
But German opera, forget it.
Treat yourself - try der Rosenkavalier!

Apart from R.Strauss, there's Britten, and what must be just about my favourite opera, The Rake's Progress.
And I know a tragic opera has to be, well, tragic, but Butterfly is on the verge of too much ... I start weeping at the beginning and just keep on going.

#2079492 - 05/08/13 08:26 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: BWV 846]
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London
Just got back from Verdi's "Don Carlo" at Covent Garden. It's an immensely powerful work, and was superbly sung this evening.

#2079494 - 05/08/13 08:29 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: bennevis]
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London
Originally Posted By: bennevis
Everything the mature Mozart wrote is operatic in nature, so I can't imagine any pianist who loves playing Mozart not having listened - at the very least - to the three Da Ponte operas.

And everything the mature Chopin wrote (his Nocturnes especially) is based on his ideal of bel canto operatic arias. One cannot know Chopin's piano style without having heard - at the very least - arias from Bellini and Donizetti operas.

For me, I can never get enough of Mozart's mature operas (including the Singspiel Die Zauberflöte), or Puccini's. And I always have a soft spot in my heart for Humperdinck's Hänsel und Gretel, and not just at Christmas.......

I agree with you 100% - except that (dare I admit it?) I don't really like Puccini.

#2079502 - 05/08/13 08:54 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: Orange Soda King]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
Originally Posted By: Damon

Aww you're missing out man! laugh

Not really, although maybe if I listened over and over, it might start to smell like a pile of my dirty socks. laugh

#2079506 - 05/08/13 09:00 PM Re: Do you listen to opera? [Re: David-G]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: David-G
Originally Posted By: bennevis

I agree with you 100% - except that (dare I admit it?) I don't really like Puccini.

Ah, you need to get into the groove......just wallow (and gasp in horror, and then weep) in that 'shabby little shocker', Tosca....... grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianoteq vs Digital Piano vs Acoustic Piano
by wildpig
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Baldwin Hamilton 1941
by JMN12
Yesterday at 11:13 PM
Tucson, AZ: Is Arizona Room a bad place for a piano?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 08:14 PM
Kissin plays...
by JoelW
Yesterday at 07:33 PM
For Sale : True Keys Pianos (bundle) American,Italian,Ger
man

by imyself
Yesterday at 05:51 PM
Who's Online
84 registered (AZNpiano, Allard, aesop, AB99, 22 invisible), 866 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76224 Members
42 Forums
157573 Topics
2314544 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission