Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2079514 - 05/08/13 09:15 PM Pollini at Carnegie Hall Beethoven Named Sonatas Expose
Serge Marinkovic Offline

Loc: United States
By STEVE SMITH
Last Updated: 3:38 PM CDT
Admirers of the Italian pianist Maurizio Pollini are set in their lionization of this singular artist; his detractors, likewise, are steadfast. Were you not an aficionado of his methods before the recital he gave at Carnegie Hall on Sunday afternoon, nothing that he played during the all-Beethoven program was likely to change your mind. Equally, were you a devotee, nothing Mr. Pollini did on Sunday changed that condition.

At 71, he approaches music with the same penetrating lucidity and apparent alacrity as ever. That point is an important one to make, since a diminishment in Mr. Pollini’s nigh unto impervious technique was substantiated in short order.

Maurizio Pollini This pianist, now 71, performed four Beethoven sonatas during a recital on Sunday at Carnegie Hall.
HIROYUKI ITO FOR THE NEW YORK TIMES
For any pianist who has been performing as long and as well as he has, minor blemishes are practically inevitable and easily dismissed. Perhaps that forgiveness is extended less readily to Mr. Pollini, since so much of his stature is based on flawless precision and its revelatory effects. Regardless, his performances of four Beethoven sonatas, offered in chronological order, showed that his insights and instincts remain keen, his dexterity enviable.

Yes, there were minor slips within the vertiginous plummeting lines in the first movement of the “Pathétique” (Op. 13). But there was also a plain-spoken magnanimity to the Adagio, and a liquid rush in the Rondo. The “Waldstein” (Op. 53) was treasurable: its opening frolicsome, but not precious; its conclusion regal and sweeping.

I had mixed feelings about the Sonata in F (Op. 54) — a departure from the printed program, noted in an insert — in which a deftly managed, elegantly characterized first movement was wedded to a tumultuous but unfocused Allegretto. But Mr. Pollini was in his best form for the final work on his program, the “Appassionata” (Op. 57), plumbing tragedy and grandeur in the opening Allegro, sweet repose in the Andante and whirlwind forcefulness in the finale.

Recalled repeatedly for ovations by a thunderous audience, Mr. Pollini granted as encores two bagatelles from Beethoven’s Opus 126: No. 3, simple and generous; and No. 4, almost brusque at first, then rustic and charming.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2079518 - 05/08/13 09:31 PM Re: Pollini at Carnegie Hall Beethoven Named Sonatas Expose [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: Serge Marinkovic
By STEVE SMITH
Admirers of the Italian pianist Maurizio Pollini are set in their lionization of this singular artist; his detractors, likewise, are steadfast.

There are detractors???

This man is a giant among giants. I don't believe it.

#2079525 - 05/08/13 09:54 PM Re: Pollini at Carnegie Hall Beethoven Named Sonatas Expose [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
He was pretty good on sunday. Just a bit too fast in the slow movements for my taste, and, perhaps a bit too predictable. As of Op 54, it is a bit of an odd duck. I don't remember ever hearing it in concert, nor have I listened to it too often. He played it instead of Op 78.
hte bagatelles were dispatched swiftly. He looked rather tired.

#2079531 - 05/08/13 10:09 PM Re: Pollini at Carnegie Hall Beethoven Named Sonatas Expose [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Sounds like a good concert, but gosh, such tiresome prose to read through...
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2079539 - 05/08/13 10:30 PM Re: Pollini at Carnegie Hall Beethoven Named Sonatas Expose [Re: Old Man]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Old Man
By STEVE SMITH
Admirers of the Italian pianist Maurizio Pollini are set in their lionization of this singular artist; his detractors, likewise, are steadfast.

There are detractors???

Apparently you missed THIS thread re: Pollini's April recital at Carnegie Hall. grin

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2068226/1.html

#2079578 - 05/09/13 12:11 AM Re: Pollini at Carnegie Hall Beethoven Named Sonatas Expose [Re: Andromaque]
William A.P.M. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ecuador
I agree here. Even from the very beginning his tempo was a bit too fast for my taste, but his performance was enjoyable.
I'm not actually a HUGE fan of Beethoven's solo piano music, nor do I possess sufficient knowledge on his music, but the last encore left me really curious! I ran home and googled Pollini's previous recitals to see which encores he had performed elsewhere, and voila - Bagatelle Op. 126 no. 4! xD
...Yuja Wang's recital is next thursday and she's doing a good programme - Scriabin, Liebermann, and Rachmaninoff. xD

#2079588 - 05/09/13 12:39 AM Re: Pollini at Carnegie Hall Beethoven Named Sonatas Expose [Re: carey]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: carey
Originally Posted By: Old Man
By STEVE SMITH

There are detractors???

Apparently you missed THIS thread re: Pollini's April recital at Carnegie Hall. grin

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2068226/1.html

You're right, carey, I did miss it. I'd better dig into it tomorrow. My knee-jerk reactions can sometimes get me in trouble! smile

#2079725 - 05/09/13 08:37 AM Re: Pollini at Carnegie Hall Beethoven Named Sonatas Expose [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Hank Drake Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
By STEVE SMITH
Admirers of the Italian pianist Maurizio Pollini are set in their lionization of this singular artist; his detractors, likewise, are steadfast. Were you not an aficionado of his methods before the recital he gave at Carnegie Hall on Sunday afternoon, nothing that he played during the all-Beethoven program was likely to change your mind. Equally, were you a devotee, nothing Mr. Pollini did on Sunday changed that condition.

At 71, he approaches music with the same penetrating lucidity and apparent alacrity as ever. That point is an important one to make, since a diminishment in Mr. Pollini’s nigh unto impervious technique was substantiated in short order.

Wow. Mr. Smith loves to dish out the 50-cent prose. And I thought my reviews were verbose.

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell

#2080225 - 05/10/13 09:00 AM Re: Pollini at Carnegie Hall Beethoven Named Sonatas Expose [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Frito Offline

Loc: Eastern US
Pollini was magnificent. By the time he reached the second movement of the Waldstein, he was really true to form. Sonata 24 was a real tour de force. The appassionata was truly extraordinary. I don't understand how there would be "detractors".
Not clear why no. 24 was substituted for no. 22. Perhaps the initial program had a misprint.

#2080246 - 05/10/13 10:02 AM Re: Pollini at Carnegie Hall Beethoven Named Sonatas Expose [Re: Hank Drake]
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Hank Drake
[...]

Wow. Mr. Smith loves to dish out the 50-cent prose. And I thought my reviews were verbose.

So convoluted and unclear on first reading that I had to read the last sentence two or three times before I understood that Mr. Smith was saying that Mr. Pollini's technique has diminished with his advancing age.

The French have a saying : "Ce qui n'est pas clair n'est pas français." ("If it isn't clear, it isn't French!")

Regards,

#2080274 - 05/10/13 10:49 AM Re: Pollini at Carnegie Hall Beethoven Named Sonatas Expose [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Lots of things diminish with advancing age. smile

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Paul Newman Baby Grand Bass Strings replacement
by Sam4
15 minutes 22 seconds ago
Mystery Steinway Grand
by Kirk Corlett
28 minutes 7 seconds ago
Magnesium Protects Against Hearing Loss
by DavidWB
51 minutes 33 seconds ago
How Odd
by Minnesota Marty
Today at 01:41 PM
Moonlight Sonata 1st Movement
by johnbarnesiii
Today at 01:08 PM
Who's Online
167 registered (accordeur, angusperde, anamnesis, 44 invisible), 1711 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76389 Members
42 Forums
157926 Topics
2319318 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission