Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
153 registered (ajames, accordeur, Achilleas, 37 invisible), 1795 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2289535 - 06/14/14 05:59 AM Re: Kawai VPC1 [Re: Alba]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
That's a cute one, peter. I'm gaining the room and getting rid of the clutter so I can roll around the room.
We can have even more fun with String Theory. smile

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2299015 - 07/05/14 09:20 PM Re: Kawai VPC1 [Re: Alba]
rnaple Offline

From looking into acoustic treatment. There is much to consider. Much that doesn't work. Some that works great.
As a result. I have an EMM-6 microphone coming. So I can analyze my room. Make good decisions. Instead of building, trashing, and building again.

One thing I do know. Since I have wall to wall carpet. And I have a typical room for any home. Bass is important to subdue. Everybody has a problem with at least one bass node that resonates because of the size of the room. I was throwing together these burlap bags with insulation. Intend to use them under tables. Move them around to see effects or take care of something. For right now. I have put them in the corners. The effect is impressive, already. Just thought I'd show pictures in case anyone is interested. You can go this cheap and easy for much effect on your sound.

I'll throw in this one for the heck of it. Brian is cool. You can see the bag behind the monitor.

EDIT: Those bags should work better with the top one hanging from the ceiling. Take care of that ceiling corner. I may prop them up temporarily with some 1x2's that I have. Don't want to put up hooks in the ceiling that I will probably pull out when I've built the soffit traps for the corners.

Edited by rnaple (07/05/14 09:32 PM)

#2299798 - 07/08/14 09:13 AM Re: Kawai VPC1 [Re: Alba]
J.T.1986 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
nice use of the bags, before i read the post i thought you may have just been a major caffeine fiend lol ;p.

Are those bags gonna be a permanent fixture? or are you thinking of something else to use once youve got the sound you want?

Ive never thought too much about how much affect the room has on sound, this is very interesting.

#2300098 - 07/09/14 04:16 AM Re: Kawai VPC1 [Re: Alba]
rnaple Offline

The bags just created another problem for me. The problem is that I like them. Doh!
I'll probably keep some of them. Maybe use the material on my soffits? I'll build soffits, since they definitely work better. If I tried to come close with these bags. I would have to put two of them, side by side in each corner. Then at the top ceiling corner also. I'm afraid that might be a bit too much of the bags. Soffits just appear as a pillar in the corner.

As I said. I have an acoustic testing microphone coming. To get a clear view of what I'm doing.

Soffits are simply a square shape that goes up the corner. Most build two of them that are four feet tall each. Stack two of them. It is said to use either fluffy insulation or low density mineral wool panels. The fluffy shouldn't be too fluffy. Use the kind that will sit in a wall and not drop. It will stand up on it's own. Doesn't have a backing to staple to the studs. This is the kind of density of fluffy that will work good. That is the kind of fluffy I have in my bags now.

As I said. Bass is the big problem. Tone down it's bouncing around. Knock out it resonating in the room. You've taken care of most of the problems.
Next step is to take care of the early reflections at the listening position.

Only thing is, when I'm done. The room will look very pretentious. I'm a very unpretentious person. I like the "coffee fiend" look. smile So I'm looking at keeping the bags in some context.

EDIT: That bass note you usually hear from sound systems. When you can't hear anything else. Just it. That's usually about 40Hz. And the harmonics of it.

Edited by rnaple (07/09/14 04:19 AM)

#2315308 - 08/14/14 04:51 AM Re: Kawai VPC1 [Re: Alba]
rnaple Offline

I'm realizing. The shape of the top of the VPC. That along with the music rest and how it's made. These took into consideration imaging and sound reflections. Of course when the monitors are placed properly. Which most people don't.
The top. Makes it difficult for reflections to bounce in your face.
This is also why I'm using a small adjustable music rest. When using the VPC music rest. I have to use the small one for a holder for my music light. No big deal. Just can't clip the mighty light on the VPC rest. I got the best of both worlds.
I do admit. I'm considering fabricating a small piece of metal so the VPC rest can have the mighty light clip on it.
I'd like to thank Kawai for this consideration.

#2328132 - 09/16/14 03:59 PM Re: Kawai VPC1 [Re: Alba]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Just saw this article, dated September 13, Billy Joel and the Kawai VPC1: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kawai-Pianos/107626515984210

#2335080 - 10/07/14 03:10 PM Re: Kawai VPC1 [Re: Alba]
slobajudge Offline

Hello to everyone, My VPC1 is finally with me, and I am very very happy ! I put Kawai directly on the top of my large Monitor Audio speakers instead of stand, and this is the best result from my experience, and i feel like I play real concert grand. This combination is better then speakers in front of me for creating close realistic piano ambiance. Best of luck !

#2335098 - 10/07/14 04:01 PM Re: Kawai VPC1 [Re: rnaple]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Originally Posted By: rnaple
I'm realizing. The shape of the top of the VPC. That along with the music rest and how it's made. These took into consideration imaging and sound reflections. Of course when the monitors are placed properly. Which most people don't.

Ron. Stop taking those tablets. . . . grin its to stop you putting your beer there. And cigarette ends. . .

Edited by peterws (10/07/14 04:03 PM)

""

#2335103 - 10/07/14 04:16 PM Re: Kawai VPC1 [Re: peterws]
David Farley Offline

Loc: Illinois
Originally Posted By: peterws
Originally Posted By: rnaple

Ron. Stop taking those tablets. . . . grin its to stop you putting your beer there. And cigarette ends. . .

I can have a whole bar set up on top of my CP4. Thank you, Yamaha!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Notebook - Main Title - I'd like to know your opinion
by Dan Oliveira
11/26/14 03:09 PM
Interface Woes
by mitzysman
11/26/14 03:06 PM
In-Car Keyboard / Synth Setup
by Scott Hamlin
11/26/14 02:31 PM
Do you play the piano 'for relaxation'?
by bennevis
11/26/14 01:18 PM
Daily temperature swings
by Stubbie
11/26/14 11:45 AM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159372 Topics
2341112 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission