2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
A
Trapperjohn, Mr SH actually mentioned this after the first recital (I think) : you should learn Cristofori's Dream. So I did! It has a few issues, mostly to do with nine memorised pages falling apart under the stress of recording. But we try laugh

I actually have another Lanz piece nearly ready, Dreamer's Waltz. Would like to vary the composers a bit though, so not probably not playing it for th next recital.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
E
E
Allard, looking forward to Cristofori's dream! I'm learning it myself though I haven't really done much except for the first 2 pages. The other one I want to learn is Lanz' variation of Pachelbel's Canon in D but it's super long and way above my skill level. But some day!

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
A
A
Ohhh I want to learn that one too! So beautiful, but indeed too difficult. I'm going to wait until I can comfortably read the sheet music while playing. All those variations seem a bit too complex to just memorise. Cristofori's Dream is much simpler in comparison, with the same chord progression throughout. Page two, huh? You may want to skip ahead to page four or five. It gets harder and needs the most attention. The opening and ending are so much easier to play.

[Linked Image]
A
A
Originally Posted by SwissMS
Augustina, you get to move up one. I resubmitted. Again.

I was number 21 but decided to submit again to!:)

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Allard, I do remember playing Cristofori's Dream because I had used a large cardboard moving box to tape three layers of sheet music onto. It looked ridiculous but it worked. There just was too many pages to fit on the music shelf.

Another beautiful piece by David Lanz is London Blue. It is one of my favorites of his.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
Allard, I do remember playing Cristofori's Dream because I had used a large cardboard moving box to tape three layers of sheet music onto. It looked ridiculous but it worked. There just was too many pages to fit on the music shelf.

Another beautiful piece by David Lanz is London Blue. It is one of my favorites of his.

I remember your rendition of London Blue Mr S-H. It inspired me to get the music and try it.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Allard
Trapperjohn, Mr SH actually mentioned this after the first recital (I think) : you should learn Cristofori's Dream. So I did! It has a few issues, mostly to do with nine memorised pages falling apart under the stress of recording. But we try laugh

Nine memorized pages!

I memorize most of the pieces I play, but the longest has only been about 5 pages - not sure I could double that number...

Hunky is right about "London Blue" - he did a wonderful job with this - yet another beautiful piece (actually stunningly so) by Lanz that you might want to consider some time in the future is his gorgeous "Leaves on the Seine" - I recorded a simplified version of this for a recital a few years back and it turned out decently because it was such a huge labor of love for me.

Edited to add that if I recall correctly (always a doubtful thing) I believe Monica might also have entered "Christofori's Dream" in a Recital some time back...but only because she was laboring under the misconception that it was composed by Einauldi laugh But, then again, maybe not...

Last edited by TrapperJohn; 05/06/13 07:07 AM.

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
A
A
I posted the simplified Leaves on the Seine a while back in the piano bar. Learned several of the simplified David Lanz pieces from that book. Wonderful learning experience! I didn't like the simplified London Blue; may look at the 'real' piece sometime. But there is so much to choose from in these books laugh

[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by TrapperJohn
Edited to add that if I recall correctly (always a doubtful thing) I believe Monica might also have entered "Christofori's Dream" in a Recital some time back...but only because she was laboring under the misconception that it was composed by Einauldi laugh But, then again, maybe not...

Not as a recital piece, but I did record it (twice, I believe; the second time was a lot better) and posted links somewhere, either on one of the Cristofori's Dream threads or the piano bar. Beautiful piece. I used to have it memorized but not any longer. I should revisit it. smile

A
A
Now uploading my accompanying video to YouTube laugh

Red dot syndrome turns Cristofori's Dream into a Nightmare if you let it.

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.
...I believe Monica might also have entered "Christofori's Dream" in a Recital some time back..

Not as a recital piece, but I did record it (twice, I believe; the second time was a lot better) and posted links somewhere, either on one of the Cristofori's Dream threads...

Ah yes, I remember those threads - great threads, one of which was started by...what's her name...from Japan...memory is shot... help

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Ah yes, I remember those threads - great threads, one of which was started by...what's her name...from Japan...memory is shot... help

ShiroKuro smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.

ShiroKuro smile

Thanks...I would might have thought of that eventually smile

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
We're at 38 pieces and a week left before the recital goes live. Everything from Dizzy Gillepsie to Rachmaninoff. Two Beethoven Moonlight Sonatas and lots of Bach, Mozart, and Chopin. And the New Age fans are back in force - 2 Einaudis, a Lanz and a Nevue.

Don't be left out! I predict a flurry of activity this weekend.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm in at #38. Yay! Time to let this one go.

Originally Posted by dynamobt
I needed a page turner. I fumbled with the pages badly.
I need one too! You'll hear lots of them (and loudly) in my piece. But how do you find someone to turn pages for you? Who would want to sit through all my recording attempts? Certainly not anyone in my house -- they're all quite tired of hearing this music by now! Also, do you think having someone looking over your shoulder would amplify the effect of the "red dot syndrome"?

Originally Posted by casinitaly
I was disappointed not to be able to use the acoustic, but we have had torrential rain for days on end and even though the tuner was here, the piano has wobbled off centre and sounds too sad. (Tuner will come back but we're waiting for the air to dry out a bit!).
Do you have a humidity-control device for your piano? My Dampp-Chaser system has been doing an excellent job with keeping my piano in tune.

Funny thing is that I did it last night, and thought I'd re-try this morning. After several tries this morning, I decided that the one from last night was actually the best take smile That will teach me smile
I did the same thing! Sat down and recorded my pieces last Wednesday after my lesson, and got a pretty good take on the second try. Since then, I tried way too many times to get a better recording, but it turns out that one was the best. With how long it is, I just can't spend any more time trying to get a perfect recording. Frustrating!

I usually end up with a new "Oh! I can't wait to play that" list smile after each recital.
I just went through my ever-growing to-learn list yesterday, and many of them are ones that I first heard through these recitals.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaryBee
I'm in at #38. Yay! Time to let this one go.

Yipee!!!
Originally Posted by MaryBee

I was disappointed not to be able to use the acoustic, but we have had torrential rain for days on end and even though the tuner was here, the piano has wobbled off centre and sounds too sad. (Tuner will come back but we're waiting for the air to dry out a bit!).
Do you have a humidity-control device for your piano? My Dampp-Chaser system has been doing an excellent job with keeping my piano in tune.

I don't have one....I'll ask my tuner about it.

(I just did a search on-line and see that the shop I bought my piano from sells them......hmmmmmm) smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well, as expected, I resubmitted again. I had a freshly tuned piano! What else could I do. It still isn't perfect, but it sounds much better than on the digital!

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
I uploaded my tiny beginner 1.2 page part as #39.

btw the first post says 20MB @ 192 kbps is 7 minutes ... it's actually 14:33.8!

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by SwissMS
I had a freshly tuned piano! What else could I do. It still isn't perfect, but it sounds much better than on the digital!

Yes, any decent acoustic largely preferred here too. Great!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
Great job, xorbe!

I hope to finally finish mine tonight. I definitely have takes that are better that what I turned in at the Mendelssohn recital.

I played it for my teacher, who just returned from maternity leave. She says that all my issues are psychological. I know it, I can play it, there's no technique problems - it's just my insecurities with it. I'm always anticipating a screw up, and of course make it happen. I have at least one of these areas in every piece. Of course, the red dot only amplifies it! grin I think this is the next hump I need to get over. I'm getting better at relaxing, but there's still a long road ahead.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission