Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
138 registered (acollins, AndyJoe, anotherscott, anamnesis, 52 invisible), 1537 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2079931 - 05/09/13 04:59 PM Can someone play BB King tunes on a piano?
pianolover85 Offline

In case you do not know (which is highly unlikely) BB King plays blues guitar...He has a instrumental song called Blues Boys Tune which my mother loves dearly....I often cry to that tune too smile (well its filled with emotions)...

Can BB's tunes be played on the piano? I love to play Blues boys tune on a piano for my mom as a gift....

Any help from esteemed members is appreciated...

With best regards,
Sam

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2079933 - 05/09/13 05:04 PM Re: Can someone play BB King tunes on a piano? [Re: pianolover85]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
No, I do not know who he is, and I do not want to know. But what I do know is that almost all that is written for guitar can be arranged for the piano easily.

Polyphonist

#2079940 - 05/09/13 05:24 PM Re: Can someone play BB King tunes on a piano? [Re: pianolover85]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Oh Polyphonist... You poor depraved soul!

BB is the best. I loves his music. You should be able to find it.

EDIT: I almost forgot. This would be done best on a keyboard with mod wheels. smile

Edited by rnaple (05/09/13 05:26 PM)

#2079945 - 05/09/13 05:32 PM Re: Can someone play BB King tunes on a piano? [Re: rnaple]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I may be a depraved soul, but at least I know the difference between the words deprave and deprive.

(And a little bit of grammar too, such as how to form a verb in the first person.)
Originally Posted By: rnaple
...I loves his music...
wink

Polyphonist

#2079949 - 05/09/13 05:41 PM Re: Can someone play BB King tunes on a piano? [Re: pianolover85]
rnaple Offline

Who dat? Huh? If da man don't know BB....he's corrupted... not deprived... smile

EDIT: Seriously...there are some awfully good keyboard players on this site. Might try a couple of the other forums. They might at least direct you toward the right direction.
Yes seriously....you can play a keyboard like a guitar....but ya gotta have mod wheels...an the right voices...don't have to be the same as guitar...

Edited by rnaple (05/09/13 05:51 PM)

#2079951 - 05/09/13 05:46 PM Re: Can someone play BB King tunes on a piano? [Re: pianolover85]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

So, if I don't know the music you enjoy, that means I'm corrupt? Not sure I'm following your reasoning there.

Polyphonist

#2079958 - 05/09/13 05:52 PM Re: Can someone play BB King tunes on a piano? [Re: pianolover85]
rnaple Offline

Oh Polyphonist...buddy... did you forget to take your medication? HHHhhhhhuuuuuuummmmmm?

#2079961 - 05/09/13 05:58 PM Re: Can someone play BB King tunes on a piano? [Re: pianolover85]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I believe I'm dealing with someone who's a) insane, or b) high, so I think I'll stop wasting my time.

Polyphonist

#2079989 - 05/09/13 07:06 PM Re: Can someone play BB King tunes on a piano? [Re: pianolover85]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
I never found being high helped with my short term memory.... alas, my piano playing took priority... (good times....)

However, as polyphonist states...pretty much anything can be transcribed to piano from guitare. Obviously there are restrictions dependant on the instrument... but there is no reason why it cant be acheived to give you a wonderful gift for your mum.

And sometimes i get crossed wires with people when a little humour is misinterpreted, and sometimes i can be a little short with people too. It happens, im human. But the world keeps turning anyways. :-)

#2080002 - 05/09/13 07:45 PM Re: Can someone play BB King tunes on a piano? [Re: pianolover85]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Here's a link to BB King and the piece in question. Am listening with pleasure.

#2080003 - 05/09/13 07:52 PM Re: Can someone play BB King tunes on a piano? [Re: Polyphonist]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Originally Posted By: pianolover85
In case you do not know (which is highly unlikely) BB King plays blues guitar...He has a instrumental song called Blues Boys Tune which my mother loves dearly....I often cry to that tune too smile (well its filled with emotions)...

Can BB's tunes be played on the piano? I love to play Blues boys tune on a piano for my mom as a gift....

Any help from esteemed members is appreciated...

With best regards,
Sam

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
No, I do not know who he is, and I do not want to know.

Really not necessary, especially when someone is talking about their inner emotion.

#2080008 - 05/09/13 08:11 PM Re: Can someone play BB King tunes on a piano? [Re: pianolover85]
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
Let's see if we can continue the discussion without the personal insults. If not, the thread will be closed and some folks are going to get some time off to enjoy their favorite music, BB or other.

#2080042 - 05/09/13 09:45 PM Re: Can someone play BB King tunes on a piano? [Re: pianolover85]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Here is an image of the first few bars of the lead guitar part.
This shows standard notation, along with guitar tablature, showing the slides, bends, etc.

Be aware that guitar notation is written an octave higher than it is actually played, so, for example, the very first note would be D# immediately above middle C.

If you would like a .pdf of the complete guitar part, PM with your email address.

PS I could transpose the notation down an octave, if that makes it easier.

Edited by R0B (05/09/13 10:32 PM)

#2080099 - 05/10/13 01:04 AM Re: Can someone play BB King tunes on a piano? [Re: R0B]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Google answer:

http://www.google.com/search?q=bb+king+p...me&ie=UTF-8

Some are quite expensive, but some seem to be free.

Have fun --

. Charles

#2080348 - 05/10/13 01:38 PM Re: Can someone play BB King tunes on a piano? [Re: pianolover85]
pianolover85 Offline

Wow...I still do not understand why you guys drifted apart, but thank you Rob and Charles for your suggestions. I will certainly look through them...Although I listened to blues guitar, blues piano feels different to me...may be it is the specific progressions that they use.

Dear Rob: I will send you a private message with my e mail...I very much appreciate your help and will always remember you when playing that song...

Regards,
Sam

#2080401 - 05/10/13 03:51 PM Re: Can someone play BB King tunes on a piano? [Re: pianolover85]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Sam,

Sheetmusic plus and Amazon each have some BB King collection which are melody with guitar tabs showing the chord changes. Sheetmusic plus also has quite a number of his pieces transcribed for piano. Alas, I didn't see the Blues Boys Tune listed

sheetmusicplus

Estonia L190 #7284

#2080446 - 05/10/13 05:23 PM Re: Can someone play BB King tunes on a piano? [Re: pianolover85]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianolover85

Although I listened to blues guitar, blues piano feels different to me...may be it is the specific progressions that they use.

There are numerous chord progressions used in Blues, although the "12 Bar" is the most common. It has numerous variations within itself.

Nevertheless, all Blues chord progressions can be and are used by all instruments. So there is no particular instrument used in one chord progression that another instrument would/could not be used.

However, guitars, and harps ("harmonicas" in the Blues world) have the ability to bend notes, which pianos cannot. So they do sound different in that regard, which might be what you mean.

To address this, Blues pianists often play two notes quickly together, (a half-step down to the main note) with the first a grace note, to mimic that bending, and thus create a pianistic sound all of its own, which is a fully used characteristic in Blues piano.

The free song in my signature (see below) is a 12 Bar Blues that has some of that, if I remember correctly.

#2080574 - 05/11/13 01:36 AM Re: Can someone play BB King tunes on a piano? [Re: pianolover85]
pianolover85 Offline

Thank you rocket88...you are right...It is the specific instrumentation... bending and vibrato that creates that different feel...

regards,
Sam

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
HAS ANYONE EVER PLAYED THIS?
by LuisFelix
1 minute 12 seconds ago
Piano evening at my teachers house
by Peter071
Today at 10:04 AM
Freelance collaborative pianist - money issues
by MiguelSousa
Today at 10:02 AM
Help for this student.... Notes!
by IPlayPiano
Today at 09:44 AM
Free collection of intermediate to very advanced Xmas music
by pianoloverus
Today at 09:39 AM
Forum Stats
77067 Members
42 Forums
159397 Topics
2341484 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission