Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2080208 - 05/10/13 08:15 AM Carl Nielsen - Suite op. 45, live
fnork Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
Had my first live performance of this piece yesterday - hope you'll enjoy this very peculiar piece of music as much as I do. Nielsen's output for piano hasn't gotten the recognition it deserves IMO - it's highly individual and original music. This suite is his most large-scale work, with most performances lasting around 20-25 minutes. It was dedicated to Arthur Schnabel, and as many pieces by Nielsen were written with a particular performer in mind (goes for the concertos, wind quintet etc) then we can perhaps assume that he had Schnabel's characteristics as a performer in mind when writing this suite.

It's not a completely flawless performance, and I should've taken a few things somewhat slower - the last movement in particular was maybe too rushed in some places.

https://soundcloud.com/martin-malmgren-1/nielsen-svit-op-45

1. Allegretto un pochettino
2. Poco moderato
3. Molto adagio e patetico
4. Allegretto innocente
5. Allegretto vivo
6. Allegro non troppo ma vigoroso

Edited by fnork (05/10/13 08:29 AM)

#2080213 - 05/10/13 08:26 AM Re: Carl Nielsen - Suite op. 45, live [Re: fnork]
fnork Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Here's the score if anyone is interested:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Suite_for_Piano,_Op.45_(Nielsen,_Carl)

#2080442 - 05/10/13 05:15 PM Re: Carl Nielsen - Suite op. 45, live [Re: fnork]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Indeed an interesting set of peces, fnork! Was this the composition that Lief Ove Andsnes considers the finest 20th Century Scandinavian solo piano contribution? For some reason, some of Robert Schumann's extended piano works came to mind -- the Noveletten and Kreisleriana in particular -- in the sense that there were lots of coloristic splashes, free fantasy, and endless surprises in direction.

Thanks for sharing this! My very first exposure to this music.

#2080781 - 05/11/13 11:55 AM Re: Carl Nielsen - Suite op. 45, live [Re: fnork]
fnork Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the comment! It wouldn't surprise me if Andsnes thinks so about the music, as he made a very fine Nielsen CD early on in his career, which included a very fine interpretation of this suite. I do feel some sort of kinship to the spirit of Schumann's music as well, though Nielsen is "weird" in a different kind of way. Like a friend remarked, the first movement keeps changing focus so often - she was thinking at first, "ah, it's THIS kind of piece", but by the end of it, it has been shifting from one thing to another so many times that one doesn't know what to think. A couple of times I played a movement or two for friends, and the music seemed strange to most - but when you hear it as a whole, it comes across as a interesting, diverse and colourful set to my mind. The finest 20th century scandinavian solo contribution? It ranks fairly high for sure - as do some other piano pieces by Nielsen.

#2081185 - 05/12/13 03:49 AM Re: Carl Nielsen - Suite op. 45, live [Re: fnork]
D. S. F. Offline

I just listened to your performance and greatly enjoyed it. Against the backdrop of everything taking place in the music world at Nielsen's time I'm amazed at how he was able to stand alone in his style - words are really escaping me right now - there is just something unique and transcendent about his compositional skill, and how he seemed so comfortable with whatever instruments or ensembles he was writing for (truly some of the greatest woodwind writing ever, for example). Yet his piano music is odd, but highly addictive in its oddness. I think the same of something like Shostakovich's Aphorisms which I'd be compelled to put along side this Suite as an experiment in compliments if you have the right crowd.

BTW, I was recently trying to get a friend of mine interested in playing some Nielsen and sent a youtube link to your recording of the Chaconne as a taste, which he really enjoyed.

#2083535 - 05/16/13 06:45 AM Re: Carl Nielsen - Suite op. 45, live [Re: fnork]
fnork Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for commenting, and yes, I feel very similarly about his unique style that mixes a lot of different elements (elements of baroque, classicism, "atonality" etc) but sounds entirely his own. I had fun reading the rather mixed reviews of this and other Nielsen piano works when they were premiered...one thing all reviewers seemed to agree with was that, for better or worse (depending on the person reviewing), the music didn't quite sound like anything else.

2nd performance of this coming up tomorrow. Did the first movement with score last time, not it'll be entirely by heart - my teacher said he ended up using score for his own first performance of the suite, as it was just so different from everything else somehow, and thats the words of an extremely experienced performer...

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My Initial Thoughts on Left/Right Hand Independence
by Visalia
Today at 01:23 PM
Questions regarding Schafer and Sons VS52
by Tankster911
Today at 12:42 PM
Transcribe tune
by pianomise
Today at 12:16 PM
Musescore playing my dp ?
by Pollux
Today at 10:58 AM
helpers wanted, interactive PC piano teaching game
by russellambrose
Today at 08:40 AM
Who's Online
143 registered (255, 36251, ajames, accordeur, albumblatter, 44 invisible), 1469 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76251 Members
42 Forums
157628 Topics
2315259 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission