Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2079359 - 05/08/13 02:51 PM What pianists can learn from opera singers
music32 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Berkeley, California
This mezzo blew me away.. found amazing videos that applied to piano playing, nerves, breathing, etc.

http://arioso7.wordpress.com/2013/05/08/what-pianists-can-learn-from-opera-singers/

You Tube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/arioso7

NYC HS of Performing Arts
Oberlin Conservatory
NYU, M.A., Steinway M grand and upright
Haddorff console
MTAC Alameda

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2080340 - 05/10/13 01:20 PM Re: What pianists can learn from opera singers [Re: music32]
cefinow Offline

Loc: Western NC (US)
Originally Posted By: music32
This mezzo blew me away.. found amazing videos that applied to piano playing, nerves, breathing, etc.

http://arioso7.wordpress.com/2013/05/08/what-pianists-can-learn-from-opera-singers/

Thanks. That was fascinating. I have been struggling with a certain Chopin nocturne and something in one single phrase of the "abbracciami" aria made me think "That's it!" Of course to work it out at the keyboard is another project but at least I had a clear idea. Then at this week's lesson my teacher said that was the best I had ever played anything for him (that nocturne). Then of course being typical Chopin it left me feeling that it was further away than ever. But anyway.

It’s interesting how this singer moves around while singing as if that helps her capture or embody a certain sound.

It reminds me of an anecdote from one of my former teacher’s voice students. (Teacher’s diploma is in piano performance, but most of her professional life was spent singing soprano roles and giving recitals.) One day after a piano lesson, my teacher showed me a CD of one of her former voice students and asked if I would like to listen. “Sure” (thinking oh dear, I will be embarrassed and have to suffer politely through an I’ve-always-wanted-to-record-a-CD amateur project). The voice I heard blew me away—very warm, plush, effortless high notes, and most of all strong and very consistent. “How did she not become a professional?” I asked. It was due to a certain emotional/physical fragility; a career in performance is not for everyone, especially with a late start in life.

My teacher said that this lady had no upper register when she started teaching her. I couldn’t believe it. Teacher said, “I knew there was something there, it just wasn’t coming out.” So one day she tried something different. She explained to the student what she had in mind. Then she got the lady to take her hands, and they danced around in circles in the teaching studio, just singing silly songs and squawking away, both of them being totally ridiculous. And then bingo, out came this superb clear high note that startled the student so much that she stopped in her tracks and looked stunned. My teacher wasn’t surprised at all. She knew there was a fine soprano voice in there. It just had to be physically knocked loose from whatever was keeping it earthbound, so it could sail away into the stratosphere…

Thanks again for posting this. I love seeing and listening to virtuosos from any field. I've been listening to a lot of Jimi Hendrix lately too. laugh

#2080812 - 05/11/13 12:35 PM Re: What pianists can learn from opera singers [Re: music32]
DonaldLee Offline

My answer is YES grin. I know that made no sense whatsoever, but we can learn so much for opera singers. You should really watch the whole Joyce DiDonato Juilliard masterclass.

I've learned that breathing during my playing deeply affects my phrasing. It helps the instrument sing.

I've learned that there always room to play with the timing of a piece.

I've learned that it's not necessary for the hands to always be playing in perfect time with each other (assuming that it's melody in one, and accompaniment in the other).

Donald Lee III
Bach Prelude and Fugue in b-flat minor (WTC Book I)
Balikerev Islamey

#2081510 - 05/12/13 06:20 PM Re: What pianists can learn from opera singers [Re: music32]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"...Re: What pianists can learn from opera singers..."

...or any singer. The other day, I heard an interview with Barbra Streisand (on NPR's 'Fresh Air;' it may be available online), where she discussed her experience, as a very young performer, singing with Judy Garland on CBS TV's "The Judy Garland Show." This is not the time to recall how the producers stole all the money and left Judy, not only in the poorhouse, but being chased by the taxman; there are plenty of bios for learning such details. What Barbra remembered was the way the orchestra director, Mort Lindsey, was able to follow the singer, moving naturally with the breath, the phrasing, the feeling, the dynamics, and the natural drama and rhythm of the piece, including a killer wind-up and ending.

They played the song (actually a mashup of two pieces), and it was exactly true what she said about the musicians. It was wonderful work, and this on a song I didn't even particularly like--- though I still liked it a lot better than the rush-hour traffic I was tied up in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Judy_Garland_Show
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mort_Lindsey
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17987859

The NPR web page locating the interview:
http://www.npr.org/2013/04/26/178841563/guilt-trip-streisand-on-songs-film-and-family

and the audio track of the interview:
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer...amp;m=178998041

"On her famous 1963 TV appearance with Judy Garland:

"I can remember it distinctly. ... She was holding my hand and I thought, 'Gee, she seems nervous.' At that time, I wasn't nervous. I was still very young, I think, about to do Funny Girl, and now, when I think back on it, I think, 'Oh, my God, I know exactly what she's feeling.' Or, you know, the fears. It's like, as you get older and people are kind of looking for you to fail more, I think — not people, not the audience — but, you know, critics or producers or whatever. And I just felt her. I felt her anxiety. ... Part of me is much more relaxed than I've ever been, less frightened, less anxious. On the other hand, it's a coming-of-age-thing, and she was much younger than I am, but there are things with careers. ... I just understand the anxiety even though in a sense I'm calmer. It's a dichotomy. It's hard to explain. ... You wonder, 'Well, do I give it up? Do I retire? Or do I get more in before my time is up?' "

#2081616 - 05/12/13 10:35 PM Re: What pianists can learn from opera singers [Re: music32]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Everyone ought to watch the "Inner Critic" video. Excellent.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2081619 - 05/12/13 10:52 PM Re: What pianists can learn from opera singers [Re: music32]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Chopin used to tell his pupils to go listen to the great opera singers. "They'll teach you how to phrase a tune." -- paraphrasing of course. I don't know the exact quote. (or if there even is one)

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
89 registered (Alux, beet31425, Allard, AndrewJCW, AZNpiano, 23 invisible), 1088 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75890 Members
42 Forums
156827 Topics
2304351 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
POSTING PICTURES
by bluebilly
Today at 03:19 AM
Goedkope Nike Free Run 2
by rstuvw780928
Today at 01:01 AM
Portable Power Supply for Digital Piano?
by piccione
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
on revisiting Chopin Etudes
by Lingyis
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Molotov Cocktail Piano
by Robert W. Weber
Yesterday at 11:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission