2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, 9 invisible), 1,173 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
The piano sounds very nice - intimate, rich and mellow at low velocity. The only obvious thing that gives away that it's a digital is the short sustain on the higher notes. It's a pleasing effect overall though. Makes you wonder why Yamaha hasn't forged ahead and become a clear market leader if they were capable of this 11 years ago. They've really come back to the pack since this model was made.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
And, here is the 3rd recording using the default "Grand Piano 1" preset:

https://app.box.com/s/rhyh8va1e171aadmrlvg

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
It's interesting listening again. It sounds to me like the source piano wasn't quite as immaculately prepared as I might have expected. There are imperfections in there that do add to a sense of realism. And it also sounds a bit boxy, like it was recorded with the lid down and mics very close to the strings (that's an observation, not a criticism). I'm not so keen on the third recording Richard to be honest but as ando says it is clear they (Yamaha) have advanced almost no distance at all since they made the CLP-990. I find the upper mids a bit digital sounding - slightly fake - but nonetheless it sounds pretty good to me. Your best sounding DP Richard?

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Your best sounding DP Richard?

Steve,

That can be a difficult question to answer although I believe that I prefer the quality of the clear bell-like tones in the CLP-990M better than either the CA95 or V-Piano. The CA95 has a slightly metallic (not as clear) tone and the V-Piano is just about likewise. The CLP-990M's "Grand Piano 1" preset is quite pleasing to the ear.

Extra note:

Here is the Yamaha CP1 demo piece, this time played on the CLP990M:

https://www.box.com/s/eno4m0n782lqdn28hv6n

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
New recording:

So, here's Beethoven with a modern sound and tempo:

https://www.box.com/s/mfhes1umawzxcv7y7jcy

Layered "Grand Piano 1" & "Electric Piano 1."

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
And, here's another recording using just the "Grand Piano 1" preset:

https://www.box.com/s/xyw872ct88099bw963vv

This one's at a more conventional tempo.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
And, two more pieces (of Chopin) with the "Grand Piano 1" preset:

https://www.box.com/s/tsp2kqzps4ecn91otlvy

The first Prelude (Op. 28, No. 20) is a good example of how the pianist can make use of a partial-pedaling effect to gradually diminish the resonance of the last two chords. The 2nd to last chord is struck "ff" and held with the pedal while the last chord is struck only "mf" (moderately loud) and as soon the two chords are combined together in full resonance the sustain pedal is very slowly released while holding down the notes of the last chord. You can hear the last chord still resonating at the end even though the louder "ff" chord has faded away.

It is a decent acoustic-like effect (or, simulation) on a digital piano!

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
The levels are a bit hot Richard - causing some break up in the louder moments.

Such a shame they didn't find a better way of implementing the looping in the decay phase - they haven't really moved on very much now with that either, all these years later. Just sounds so static and false. This is the single area where Yamaha should urgently invest some time and energy. Anyone wanting a long lingering sustain really needs to buy a Roland! (even though I much prefer the tonality of the Yamaha). Aside from that the CLP-990 acquits itself very well indeed.

Thanks for sharing your recordings.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Steve,

Thanks for the comments and you are right the last recording sounds a little "hot" as I have Audacity set at "7" out of 10 with the input volume, as 5 is the default. I can always try lowering this number but if I go to 5 or less then the playback level is not always loud enough, at least with the headphones I am using. I can always experiment with these levels a little more, later.

Glad to hear you like the recordings as that is the primary reason for posting them here, to share the music. It still appears that no one digital piano to date has everything it takes to make the perfect combination of piano sounds and action to truly simulate an acoustic instrument.

We can always hope that digital pianos will continue to evolve to where a mix of sampling and modeling features may get us closer to an authentic playing experience as this includes detailed and improved speaker projection.

You are also right that even though the CLP-990M does not have the best sustain in the samples this is where the V-Piano excels, and, the Kawai CA95 does a very good job as well. That's why I have all three.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
This is a follow-up note to the previous post where I was waiting on a pedal circuit board part to arrive as both the middle (sostenuto) and left ("una corda" or, soft) pedals had to be repaired on the CLP-990M and the repair has now been completed and all of the pedals are functional, again.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Morodiene
What tuning options does this have? I noticed that the high notes seem flat to me, so you may want to fiddle around with different tunings. I'm not sure what it would be called, but I'm sure if you check the manual it has an option to change tuning formats.

Yes, you are right as the CLP-990M does have various tuning options and all I have to do to make those "high notes" sound more even and in tune was to change the "Piano Tuning Curve" from "Stretch" to "Flat." Various scale temperaments can be used as well.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission