2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Shaylee Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi! Did anybody here play this piece?
I need advice about how to practise this. I play this for about two months and can´t get it up to speed. Well, I can, but it´s very uncomfortable for me to play it that fast. My right hand gets very tired. I practise it slowly a lot, any other tips?? Its my first Prokofiev piece :-)

Thank you!!! smile

"If you want to understand the music, you don't even need ears as much as heart"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
When I was in high school I had a friend who worked on this for about two years, and he still had trouble playing it. It can be difficult. Keep up with the slow practice, but as you do, try to remain relaxed, it will help when you take it at a faster tempo. Also, while the majority of your practice should be slower...don't always practice slow, there have been times in the past that I have practiced it slow for so long I have trouble playing it up to tempo.

I on the other hand can no longer stand to hear it, after being oversaturated with it in high school. It ruined most of Prokofiev for me to this day.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
My piano teacher suggested this to me, and I let her know that I thought it would be WAY too much work for WAY too little enjoyment on my part. :-)

That said... it is 'impressive'. Good luck with it!

F

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jdhampton924
...It ruined most of Prokofiev for me to this day.

That's too bad, especially because I think of the Suggestion as being somewhat atypical, and simple-minded, Prokofiev. When you're ready to give him another shot, perhaps the 5th symphony.

-J

S
Shaylee Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you :-)

I try to be patient with this and keep practising... or let it be for a while and then try again.

I think Prokofiev is great composer, I love his 2nd piano concerto! You should give him a chance again :-)

"If you want to understand the music, you don't even need ears as much as heart"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425

That's too bad, especially because I think of the Suggestion as being somewhat atypical, and simple-minded, Prokofiev. When you're ready to give him another shot, perhaps the 5th symphony.

-J

I did get to go to a performance of the fourth symphony in C major. I did enjoy it. I know Prokofiev is a genius, and will probably give him another go in a few years, but until that day...

I think the other problem for me...is I was not just exposed to that piece, but as well as the 7th sonata, which I always hear played as fast as possible(there are several recordings of this piece I do like, but at the same time, already heard it done badly many times). So most of the time when I try to give Prokofiev a shot, I am carrying some bad connotations.

Last edited by jdhampton924; 05/10/13 04:58 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
This piece is physically difficult, taxing, and exhausting. Make sure you have a very good rapid-wrist technique. Same with the Toccata, Op. 11. I've played it, and struggled with it. I should give it another go, though.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425

-J

I did get to go to a performance of the fourth symphony in C major. I did enjoy it. I know Prokofiev is a genius, and will probably give him another go in a few years, but until that day...

I think the other problem for me...is I was not just exposed to that piece, but as well as the 7th sonata, which I always hear played as fast as possible(there are several recordings of this piece I do like, but at the same time, already heard it done badly many times). So most of the time when I try to give Prokofiev a shot, I am carrying some bad connotations.

I hear you-- I've been in such a state with composers and specific pieces before.

One thing that helps me get past the bad connotations is taking a piece and playing it through myself. There are often treasures lurking in the harmonies that go by too quickly in a recording if we're not already in tune with the composer. I suggest that, when it's time to give Prok. another shot, do so by getting the score of (for example) the 2nd sonata, and reading through the first movement. Let it be just between you and him, without the intervention of another pianist.

-J

J
J
It is a great piece, and lots of fun to play. My favorite Prokofiev. If you keep your wrists loose, it should help greatly with the tiring you are experiencing. That is, do NOT lock your wrist. It should be like bouncing a basketball. It may take awhile for that motion to come naturally, but it's really needed for developing your technique. For whatever it is worth (@woodog), I think the Mozart K 576 is a more difficult piece. I learned it in high school, and my teacher never said it was difficult (nor were there internet forums to read about how difficult it supposedly was), which helped greatly to learn it!

S
Shaylee Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you, I will try to relax my wrist more. I think difficulty is really individual, I played more pieces which are considered harder than Suggestion, and performed them quite comfortable. But this is real struggle for me.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by JBB_Piano
For whatever it is worth (@woodog), I think the Mozart K 576 is a more difficult piece. I learned it in high school, and my teacher never said it was difficult (nor were there internet forums to read about how difficult it supposedly was), which helped greatly to learn it!

:-) I'm finding that out! I'm 55 years old, and away from focused study for 20 years, and now back for a year, learning how to play without stress and tension. I chose this piece over Christmas break last year because I like the way it sounded and had never played a Mozart Sonata before. I thought it would be good for me. Heh. It's a real challenge but coming along.

Don't get me wrong, I dig Prokofiev! Well, at this point in life I do, when I was younger not so much. I plan to work my way through Op. 22 and then go after his 3rd sonata. It's one of my bucket list pieces.

My comment above was the response I gave my teacher, who suggested it to me for this past semester. It doesn't appeal to me, and I have the luxury of choosing only those things I like. :-) Turns out I like difficult (for me) stuff, but it's a good place to be in life!!

so it was not meant to be a slam on 'ole Sergei.

do carry on!

Forrest

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
It's a devilishly difficult piece, no pun intended, so no wonder it 'll take some time. Prokoffiev turned 19th-century virtuosity upside down, so if you are familiar with all the great Chopin/Liszt/Rachmaninov pyrotechnics, you might give it a go, if not, you're in for a struggle.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
S
Shaylee Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks! I'm glad, I'm not the only one, who thinks it's so difficult! It gives me more troubles than Chopin or Liszt etudes...

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
BTW, about the title - I once read that was a very poor translation. I know I am not getting this quite right - but what it really means in Russian is something like a creepy premonition or sudden feeling of apprehension. Somebody who knows Russian may be able to give a better idea, but I think it is something along those lines.

P
P
A friend of mine played this at a concert. As he was about to strike the first note he stopped as he realized he didn't know where to begin, the starting note just eluded him. Eventually it came back to him after staring at the piano for a minute or so.

Classical, Jazz Pianist.
From Bach to the Blues.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
I've heard many performances of this piece -and worked on it back in my late teens, but got bogged down with other projects- yet no one seems to characterize it so mischievously as the composer. Most others treat it as a simple etude.

If nothing else, it proves that Prokofiev could certainly get around the piano with the best of them, though I think he would have loved the young Argerich in his 3rd concerto.

Jason
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Diff'rent strokes, as they say.

I see that some of you like the piece. I didn't know it but went and listened, and I guess it shows what I thought I already knew: I'm not much for Prokofiev.

Despite it being Richter who was playing, I can't recall ever hearing a 2 1/2 minute piece that felt longer. I couldn't wait for it to end, and already around the 1 minute mark, everything and each next thing sounded like it should be leading immediately to an ending, except unfortunately I knew it wasn't because I could see that it still had time to run.

Very impressive, absolutely -- for the pianist. But I have to say, I basically hate the piece. smile

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Diff'rent strokes, as they say.

I see that some of you like the piece. I didn't know it but went and listened, and I guess it shows what I thought I already knew: I'm not much for Prokofiev.

Despite it being Richter who was playing, I can't recall ever hearing a 2 1/2 minute piece that felt longer. I couldn't wait for it to end, and already around the 1 minute mark, everything and each next thing sounded like it should be leading immediately to an ending, except unfortunately I knew it wasn't because I could see that it still had time to run.

Very impressive, absolutely -- for the pianist. But I have to say, I basically hate the piece. smile

I played it once. Felt this exact same way through the entire process. One of the pieces I absolutely can't stand. It's better to play than to listen to, but even then, I didn't like it.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
S
Shaylee Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I think you will understand this piece after several hearings. I listened to it few years ago and didn't like it, but when my teacher wanted me to play it I listened to it maybe hundred times and love it now smile But don't want to play it anymore, it would be too uncomfortable to perform it in public...

Originally Posted by Shaylee
I think you will understand this piece after several hearings. I listened to it few years ago and didn't like it, but when my teacher wanted me to play it I listened to it maybe hundred times and love it now smile....

Most people wouldn't have any desire to give something they hate so many chances or so much time. I sure wouldn't.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't give a lot of chances to something I didn't immediately get, as long as I didn't find it offensive. This piece felt like pretty close to torture. (Hyperbole only slight.) I could not wait for it to end.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission