Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2080977 - 05/11/13 06:09 PM Re: Help! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Hand it to Rostosky, he really knew exactly how to talk Wayne through this. Rossy, I have this 1992 Chevy Blazer and the right blinker doesn't turn off after the turn........ smile

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2080979 - 05/11/13 06:10 PM Re: Help! [Re: rnaple]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Originally Posted By: rnaple

Still... I haven't seen it put back together yet?

Ok, will do pic posts tommorow, (already put the casing back on, and just doing supper, 11pm over here wink ) It was the F# key, below middle C smile

#2080986 - 05/11/13 06:21 PM Re: Help! [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Posted at the same time smile I know, Rossy is a star! xxx

#2081096 - 05/11/13 11:24 PM Re: Help! [Re: Peyton]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Peyton
Hey, a very educating thread! For what ever reason when ever I try something like that it usually ends in disaster and me calling the tech or plumber or electrician to come and put back together whatever I have destroyed. Glad it worked out for you Wayne.

Speaking as an electrician - don't ever call me to fix your piano

#2081130 - 05/12/13 12:47 AM Re: Help! [Re: wayne33yrs]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: wayne33yrs
Cheers Rossy, will go and investigate. Piano techs are trying to tell me that the ribbon was not the problem, and I have made things worse by not knowing what I'm doing. They're really helpful over there lol. smile
Not really surprising, I guess. Kind of like posting in the Teacher's forum, and asking for the best way to teach yourself piano. smile Glad you got things working again!

#2081149 - 05/12/13 02:02 AM Re: Help! [Re: wayne33yrs]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Piano techs are trying to tell me that the ribbon was not the problem, and I have made things worse by not knowing what I'm doing. They're really helpful over there lol. smile

That’s so funny. Don’t worry about it, it’s just a display of professional arrogance. Also a bit of herd instinct; one tech makes a vaguely barbed comment, the others smell blood then pile in!

But congrats on the repair! (I bet the techs are all busily taking notes and storing your pics).

#2081198 - 05/12/13 05:13 AM Re: Help! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Congratulations Wayne! I’m happy for you.

My website

#2081225 - 05/12/13 07:29 AM Re: Help! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
We have the technology! excellent Wayne, now you have done the job and understood how the parts work , next time it will be a piece of cake.

With "OUR" ( non steinway) european pianos, a wartime "make do and mend" attitude can often do the job! Especially on "haunted" pianos like Waynes nans!

Lesson learned: do keep away from "Bostik" though, unless you are replacing missing or broken Key tops or ends ( the Ivory or plastic bits)

Should anyone else have their action out, thats a great time to hoover all the years of dust off it with a narrow hoover pipe end and a gentle toothbrush.

A makeshift and cheap way of doing this is to get a length of flexible plastic pipe such as a piece of hose pipe or petrol pipe and gaffa tape it onto the end of the hoover pipe.

This allows you to get into all the nooks and crannies.

The chevvy indicator problem,

if the indicators are not turning off after you have made the turn, you will find under the steering wheel that there is a piece of plastic (PTFE or on older vehicles metal) that has two "lugs" on it.

These lugs trip off the switch as the wheel is turned to the central position, if this is not happening, then usually one lug will be broken, chipped etc in some way that will be obvious upon inspection.

Replace. ( few dollars if that)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#2081228 - 05/12/13 07:35 AM Re: Help! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Or, you get one of them 3d printers and make whatever parts you need smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2081252 - 05/12/13 08:23 AM Re: Help! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Morodiene, for that particular part this would be an excellent idea, especially if you had other applications for the 3d printer to do to make it worthwhile moneywise.

I have a sneaky suspician about governments and 3d printers.
Although governments seem very stupid at times in their decision making, they employ folk who are very sneaky indeed.

How does this concern 3d printers one may ask?

Well, how many folk have had a stupid bit of odd shaped plastic snap rendering the item it came out of useless, unless one could get that odd shaped piece as a replacement.

they are in hoovers ( especially so dysons) in radios, in cd players, in keyboards, in vehicles, tv sets, nearly everything electrical from china etc etc etc etc etc.

the chances of getting one of those odd shaped plastic parts that you have just found broken in one of your usefull possesions, is usually slim to none, unless you aquire a cheap second hand item that is identical to canabilise.

So, what do folk do? they ditch the item and go buy another....

Another one, with usually, an odd shaped piece of plastic in it that is also essential to make the item function.

An odd shaped piece of plastic that is being overworked or is not up to the job and will break in the future.

OR made out of a plastic that will harden in time and go brittle as most plastics do, thus allowing it fail "prematurely"

So again Rossy , how does this concern governments and 3d printers?

IF, if you can make that part in seconds at home, you can now fix your item and many more that will fail in future.....

BY default, you have now just walked away from the cunsumerist throw away society, the very system that the governments want you to be fixated on, buy, buy , buy and buy again, this is what we want you doing says the government ,, to keep the economy/system/tax coming in/profits for the boys all letting us, ( The few) living the life of riley, whilst we tell you to pay up for the mess ups of the bankers.

So, If i was cynical about those in power, and if i saw any indication that the "powers that be" were attempting to make people scared about 3d printers, and If i suspected that anybody was constructing a "sneaky plan" to build a case where the public would accept the banning of 3d printers:

Then here I would be mentioning it......

well, its funny that I should have said that, because as it happens, very recently, i came accross this....

Massive media and scares of folk using 3d printers to make guns...
This from the bbc website....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22464360

BUT , just google 3d printer guns and you will see....

So, the propaganda begins....

I suspect they dont want us to have 3d printers and this is the begining..

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#2081259 - 05/12/13 08:44 AM Re: Help! [Re: Rostosky]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rostosky

The chevvy indicator problem,

if the indicators are not turning off after you have made the turn, you will find under the steering wheel that there is a piece of plastic (PTFE or on older vehicles metal) that has two "lugs" on it.

These lugs trip off the switch as the wheel is turned to the central position, if this is not happening, then usually one lug will be broken, chipped etc in some way that will be obvious upon inspection.

Replace. ( few dollars if that)

Cool. I'll check that out.

#2081301 - 05/12/13 10:18 AM Re: Help! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I love mechanical devices!
They are logical and orderly.

#2081338 - 05/12/13 11:25 AM Re: Help! [Re: rnaple]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

This has to be the most interesting thread in a long time on here.
I kept reading on. Waiting, with baited breath, for the catastrophic failure, or major disaster. Or simpler terms; For everything to fall apart.
Still... I haven't seen it put back together yet?
... I wonder whether just to undo these and see what happens!

Famous last words.

Sorry for the poor quality, but at least you can see, problem solved smile

#2081388 - 05/12/13 01:14 PM Re: Help! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The internet is magic sometimes?
Its a great feeling when an annoying key becomes sorted!!
Well done Wayne, there may be another badge; RST + mechanic status.

I wonder if they would appreciate some disinformation on the tech forum.

"please help, I was just making some toast, when from a different room my steinway inexpicably exploded"

"My cat has become sterile since my new steinway was delivered, is this normal, as I was intending to sell the kittens?"

"Should I use a shotgun on my steinway in an attempt to sandblast the old finish off ready for "revarnishing", OR is it wiser to use moderately flammable paint stripper in conjunction with a blow-torch?"

"was thinking of taking my new steinway totaly to pieces to "see what happens" advice please.

deary me...

#2081397 - 05/12/13 01:49 PM Re: Help! [Re: wayne33yrs]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Congratulations Wayne. I like to hope for the best, but expect the worst. It leaves much for humor. smile

Of course. Have to congratulate Rossy for a job well done.
I've begun to understand your view of Steinways. I wonder if the tech forum can help me with the problem that happened to mine:

Seriously.... I did research. Found out about the pushing them out the door because of demand. Unfinished. I'd never buy one because of this. People can keep their bandwagon mentality.

#2081399 - 05/12/13 01:57 PM Re: Help! [Re: rnaple]
Morodiene Offline

Congratulations Wayne. I like to hope for the best, but expect the worst. It leaves much for humor. smile

Of course. Have to congratulate Rossy for a job well done.
I've begun to understand your view of Steinways. I wonder if the tech forum can help me with the problem that happened to mine:

Seriously.... I did research. Found out about the pushing them out the door because of demand. Unfinished. I'd never buy one because of this. People can keep their bandwagon mentality.
Did it disappear?

#2081420 - 05/12/13 02:41 PM Re: Help! [Re: Morodiene]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Did it disappear?[/quote]

I'm still playing it like a harp. The rest is still laying all over the floor.

#2081436 - 05/12/13 03:39 PM Re: Help! [Re: rnaple]
Morodiene Offline

Did it disappear?

I'm still playing it like a harp. The rest is still laying all over the floor. [/quote]

LOL!

#2081523 - 05/12/13 06:46 PM Re: Help! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Phil D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
Sorry you didn't get much help on the tech forum - it's just that the nature of a piano like this means that walking someone through a possible repair for something diagnosed over the internet can lead to further damage, mistakes and a piano that still isn't fixed. Most experienced technicians have seen their fair share of bodged repair attempts from sheepish piano owners, and it's not nice to have to bill someone for a lot of work to fix something they damaged because they didn't want to pay a technician to do the original repair. I'm very glad you managed to get this done well yourself though!

#2081566 - 05/12/13 08:09 PM Re: Help! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

People botch in all walks of life Phil, not just in "pianos of "this" nature" (?)

The other side of the coin is that for far too long piano techs have tried to keep the inner working of ones piano a mystery to the owner.

Its been like a "secret tech society" almost, I mean what average owner in this country even knows what a Piano atlas is ?

What average owner understands the pencil marks put in by tuners and techs to pass info on, I mean come on, if some dude wrote stuff on the inside of your house without asking you, would you be happy? lol

As a lifelong mechanic, I find the inner workings in the action of a piano a beautiful, logical device, but furthermore: a totally understandable mechanical device.

And as such, anyone with a modicum of inteligence or desire to learn, can be helped to understand just what is happening in their own piano.

with the advent of electronic tuning devices that are extremely accurate and remarkable, folk now even have the opportunity to have a go at tuning, especially on a beat up piano maybe to begin with say for example.

I think the techs and tuners have been overprotective of "their" art, I helped wayne for the love of music, not for any profit.

#2081585 - 05/12/13 09:00 PM Re: Help! [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

here here wink

#2081586 - 05/12/13 09:13 PM Re: Help! [Re: Rostosky]
Morodiene Offline

Morodiene, for that particular part this would be an excellent idea, especially if you had other applications for the 3d printer to do to make it worthwhile moneywise.

Although governments seem very stupid at times in their decision making, they employ folk who are very sneaky indeed.

Well, how many folk have had a stupid bit of odd shaped plastic snap rendering the item it came out of useless, unless one could get that odd shaped piece as a replacement.

they are in hoovers ( especially so dysons) in radios, in cd players, in keyboards, in vehicles, tv sets, nearly everything electrical from china etc etc etc etc etc.

the chances of getting one of those odd shaped plastic parts that you have just found broken in one of your usefull possesions, is usually slim to none, unless you aquire a cheap second hand item that is identical to canabilise.

Another one, with usually, an odd shaped piece of plastic in it that is also essential to make the item function.

An odd shaped piece of plastic that is being overworked or is not up to the job and will break in the future.

OR made out of a plastic that will harden in time and go brittle as most plastics do, thus allowing it fail "prematurely"

IF, if you can make that part in seconds at home, you can now fix your item and many more that will fail in future.....

BY default, you have now just walked away from the cunsumerist throw away society, the very system that the governments want you to be fixated on, buy, buy , buy and buy again, this is what we want you doing says the government ,, to keep the economy/system/tax coming in/profits for the boys all letting us, ( The few) living the life of riley, whilst we tell you to pay up for the mess ups of the bankers.

So, If i was cynical about those in power, and if i saw any indication that the "powers that be" were attempting to make people scared about 3d printers, and If i suspected that anybody was constructing a "sneaky plan" to build a case where the public would accept the banning of 3d printers:

well, its funny that I should have said that, because as it happens, very recently, i came accross this....

Funny you bring up the guns, I was talking about this with hubby the other night. I know of so many things I could make with a 3d printer, too. It almost seems like science fiction! I'm sure they'll find a way to tax the bejabbers out of them and the materials. mad

#2081588 - 05/12/13 09:18 PM Re: Help! [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

here here! (pmsl) laugh

#2081960 - 05/13/13 03:19 PM Re: Help! [Re: Morodiene]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I'm sure they'll find a way to tax the bejabbers out of them and the materials. mad

Is bejabbers the same as the beejeezus? I only ask because the other day I was thinking about the beejeezus and got to some serious contemplation about it.

My thinking went like this:

If you get the beejeezus scared out of you say, then that implies that there is some beejeezus allready present in each of us to be scared out of us?

Okay, but just how much? I mean if someone scared "some" beejeezus out of me, and then someone else realy scared some more beejeezus out of me, how long would it be before I ran out of beejeezus to have scared out of me?

(b.) Where does the beejeezus that is scared out of me go?
Does it get imparted into the scarer themselves?

Is there a limit to the amount of beejeezus one can acumalate by scaring it out of folk who are vulnerable to losing their beejeezus by unexpected frights?

Does our own beejeezus levels fluctuate? Or are we born with a lifetimes supply?

These are the things I ponder when the stresses of modern living become all pervading and I am feeling quite alone in the universe.

#2082082 - 05/13/13 08:06 PM Re: Help! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Are beejeezus good? Is this something we really don't want to lose. If so then being scared is really a bad thing, especially if we lose beejeezus. Man, I wish I hadn't seen "Night of the Living Dead" when I was a kid because I think I lost most of my beejeezus right then. And who knows where it went. Maybe to the person sitting next to me? But I have a feeling her beejeezus was gone too. In fact I think the entire movie theater lost it's beejeezus that night. Did it all go to the director? If so then George A. Romero has a heck of a lot of beejeezus. What do you think he does with it all? Do we ever get beejeezus back? Maybe it builds back like, well...sperm. You go along after loosing your beejeezus feeling empty like and then...bam, you have it again! And out you go horror movie hopping losing your bejeezus again. And endless cycle. Sigh...

#2082119 - 05/13/13 09:03 PM Re: Help! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
This is starting to sound strangely similar to a conversation we had on the existence of "talent". wink

Allow me to submit: what if beejeezus are self-replacing? Wouldn't we then need to know at what rate, in order to determine how often we could safely be scared? wink

#2082125 - 05/13/13 09:21 PM Re: Help! [Re: Morodiene]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia

Funny you bring up the guns, I was talking about this with hubby the other night. I know of so many things I could make with a 3d printer, too. It almost seems like science fiction! I'm sure they'll find a way to tax the bejabbers out of them and the materials. mad

3d printers, not science fiction, it's old hat, lol

4d printers, now that's science fiction

http://www.webpronews.com/heres-everything-you-need-to-know-about-4d-printing-2013-05

#2082255 - 05/14/13 02:40 AM Re: Help! [Re: wayne33yrs]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
has anyone managed to isolate a solitary beejeezum (beejeezu?, beejeezon?)in the laboratory?

#2082294 - 05/14/13 07:08 AM Re: Help! [Re: dire tonic]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dire tonic
has anyone managed to isolate a solitary beejeezum (beejeezu?, beejeezon?)in the laboratory?

Perhaps it could be engineered in the laboratory. They will put it in little pill form and give it to customers before they go into a haunted house or scary movie. I for one would not appreciate artificial beejeezum. Give me the real thing or...well just don't scare me. That's what I say!

#2082297 - 05/14/13 07:20 AM Re: Help! [Re: Peyton]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Peyton
Do we ever get beejeezus back? Maybe it builds back like, well...sperm.

Sperm builds back?

I thought I was born with a limited amount and have been eking mine out very very carefully over the years.

One needs an alternative to bostic when gluing piano parts back together , Coincidentally, wayne has just found this out, now I know he was just awaiting a build up.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
November Piano Bar
by kenjazz
11/01/14 06:16 AM
Von fremden Lndern und Menschen tempo
by hreichgott
10/31/14 10:43 PM
Another Kawai ES7 warning
by bjorn of brekkukot
10/31/14 08:41 PM
Olga Vinokur, Piano Concert Nov. 9, Lowell, MA
by Piano World
10/31/14 08:21 PM
Yamaha P155 synth/midi question
by sdrep
10/31/14 07:36 PM
Who's Online
62 registered (alberto, beeboss, blugee, Baroque Style, 16 invisible), 1961 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76724 Members
42 Forums
158660 Topics
2330097 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission