Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2119813 - 07/18/13 07:51 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
shepdave Offline

Loc: Vienna, VA
Just wanted to revive this thread to thank you all for starting it.

I just received my Frederick Concert Series Ebony Polished bench today. I was looking for a substantial adjustable bench for many hours of daily practice. However, I'm in no position to spend $650 on a Jansen. While searching through the forums here, I came upon the thread to which Minnesota Marty refers above.

He tells the truth: people gave him all kinds of friction for mentioning the Frederick benches. Basically the sense I got from a lot of folks on that thread was this: if you are going to get a good bench, you should either get a Jansen or not get anything at all. Well, a lot of folks just cannot spend that kind of money on a bench. The Frederick bench is sturdy and beautiful at a fraction of the cost. No, it's not a Jansen; and no, the mechanism underneath is not exactly the same as a Jansen. But it's a real artist bench with a very sturdy mechanism, and it's sitting in my piano room right now.

I think I saw in another thread some musings on the fact that the address of the Frederick piano bench company is the same as that of Jim Laabs Music in Stevens Point, Wisconsin--the dealer that sells the Frederick bench. Some folks thought that was weird, and that the Fredericks must be sub-standard because they're a Chinese-made house brand.

I have no problem with this at all, and here's why. My daughter, who is now in her mid-20s, studied violin rather seriously during her middle-school and high-school years. At some point it came time to upgrade her instrument from the beginner model she used in elementary school.

We went to a very well known violin shop in the Virginia suburbs of DC and inquired. They demonstrated--and eventually sold us--their "house brand" instrument. It's a fine violin, albeit not a Stradivarius. We couldn't spend tens of thousands of dollars on an instrument for an advancing student. So we spent $1,600 on this shop's house brand. My daughter is perfectly happy with it, and she plays it still.

Thanks, Marty, for mentioning these benches. I had a good experience with Laabs Music and I'm happy with the bench.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2119819 - 07/18/13 08:03 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Hi Shepdave,

I still like mine and have no complaints at all. I think that Shaolin likes his, too. I'm sure you will enjoy yours, also.

Glad that the threads have been a help to you.

Do you want to show it off with a photo?

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2119897 - 07/18/13 10:46 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: Minnesota Marty]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
I have to say, Marty,

That at that price, it's almost too good to be true. If it lasts longer than 3 years, you came out ahead.

the last time I bought a bench 20 years ago, it cost $600. Yes, I still have it, and I weigh about 200# at 6'1".

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2120383 - 07/20/13 12:27 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
Steven Y. A. Offline

Loc: Toronto
look shaolin, they linked this thread lol
http://www.jimlaabsmusic.com/piano-benches-chairs/cat_19.html

#2120393 - 07/20/13 01:06 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
Norbert Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Never mind the bench.

Let's straighten out the piano casters first, then look at bench again.

Plus piano - "gorgeous"

Norbert thumb

#2120408 - 07/20/13 02:28 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Steven Y. A.

That's hilarious. But they asked you for permission first, right?

#2120840 - 07/21/13 02:17 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: Minnesota Marty]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Hi Shepdave,

I still like mine and have no complaints at all. I think that Shaolin likes his, too. I'm sure you will enjoy yours, also.

I'd like to see a photo taken with the bench turned upside down. What does it look like inside?

#2120898 - 07/21/13 08:09 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: kpembrook]
shepdave Offline

Loc: Vienna, VA
Originally Posted By: kpembrook
I'd like to see a photo taken with the bench turned upside down. What does it look like inside?

See the photos Shaolin posted along with the original post of this thread. He has one of the mechanism with the bench upside down. I took a careful look at that photo before deciding to buy.

Basically the mechanism is like a scissor-jack, such as you might use for your car. It seems quite sturdy to me.

Edited by shepdave (07/21/13 08:59 AM)

#2134040 - 08/16/13 08:28 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
Rudy99golf Offline

Loc: Guanajuato, México
Shaolin,
Great looking room, great looking piano, and the bench just looks it belongs to this piano.
Congrats on finding something that matches perfectly your piano.
I bet you even enjoy more your piano playing. (yeah, we tend to do that by enjoying little or big things that look nice in or around our piano).
I wish someday I will find such a bench that matches this good my own piano.
Celaya, Mexico

#2134169 - 08/17/13 02:42 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: Rudy99golf]
shaolin95 Offline

Hi Shepdave,

I sure do love mine indeed and thanks again for your recommendation. I have not been posting as much and missed all this comments..Dont have as much free time so I try to use it to play more than internet now laugh

OMG how did I miss that?! laugh They used my pics and quoted me, cool.

Originally Posted By: Norbert
Never mind the bench.

Let's straighten out the piano casters first, then look at bench again.

Plus piano - "gorgeous"

Norbert thumb

Thanks! smile

Originally Posted By: Allan W.

That's hilarious. But they asked you for permission first, right?

I provided them the link but nobody mentioned they will use my comments or pics for the website. I dont really mind it thought smile

Originally Posted By: Rudy99golf
Shaolin,
Great looking room, great looking piano, and the bench just looks it belongs to this piano.
Congrats on finding something that matches perfectly your piano.
I bet you even enjoy more your piano playing. (yeah, we tend to do that by enjoying little or big things that look nice in or around our piano).
I wish someday I will find such a bench that matches this good my own piano.

That is so true..like those small details around me somehow create a sense of balance of peacefulness or whatever you want to call it that just makes it more inviting to play longer and longer.
I hope you find one soon.
Thanks! smile

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)

#2140021 - 08/28/13 03:26 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: Minnesota Marty]
leel Online   content

Loc: Lacey WA
I've also been looking for a bench & checked out the Frederick. There seems to be a newer, better(?) one for $269, and wonder if someone could tell me if the "new improved" version would be worth it.There is also an OSP bench for $329 that grandpianobench.com has. Yet again, a Woodmaster BN-1200 for $269.99 at vandaking.com, and it includes storage. As someone pretty new to all this, to say I'm confused is an understatement. Advice, please.

#2144821 - 09/05/13 07:44 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
leel Online   content

I go my tufted bench today, and I really like it. Nice finish to the legs and vinyl cushion both. Easy to put together , too. All the input from everyone helped my decision making. While I don't have a grand piano (I have a Yamaha P2) & I know an artist's bench is supposed to be for a grand, I think my tush deserves one. So there! laugh

#2144825 - 09/05/13 07:49 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
leel Online   content

I go my tufted bench today. Well made & easy to put together, and the wood legs are nicely finished. Thanks for everyone's input to help my decisionmaking. While I know that an artit's bench is made for a grand piano and I don't have one (I have a Yamaha P2), I think my tush deserves it. So there! smile

#2145029 - 09/06/13 02:00 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
jc201306 Offline

The issues with Chinese made furniture, based on my personal experience, are usually around the materials and the craftsmanship. I bought a set of sectional sofa about 9 years ago. It was made in China, and is as stylish as any made-in-USA sofa with a much higher price tag. However, with only moderate usage, it started to fall apart recently. Any furniture with decent quality ought to last more than just 9 years. At least that was my expectation.

I now own a Chinese made bench which came with my newly purchased piano. It looks just as sexy as a Jansen, but again, I do not know how long it will hold together.

#2145307 - 09/06/13 02:18 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: leel]
shaolin95 Offline

Originally Posted By: leel
I go my tufted bench today. Well made & easy to put together, and the wood legs are nicely finished. Thanks for everyone's input to help my decisionmaking. While I know that an artit's bench is made for a grand piano and I don't have one (I have a Yamaha P2), I think my tush deserves it. So there! smile

That was funny! laugh
Congrats and I hope it lasts you a long time. I love mine!

PS I was referring to the bench btw lol

Edited by shaolin95 (09/06/13 02:18 PM)

#2145379 - 09/06/13 04:29 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]

Well, Um, Er, Ah, - I hope your tush lasts a long time too!

Congratulations!

#2146016 - 09/07/13 09:20 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I bought this a few months ago (in black).

It sure beats the heck out of the standard Yamaha bench. sick

It's the best thing under a real concert bench. It's worth the buy.

#2146116 - 09/08/13 01:18 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: kpembrook]
Caowner2013 Offline

#2146260 - 09/08/13 10:49 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
Piano RX Offline

Originally Posted By: shaolin95
Thanks for that information Marty and wow, that bench does look identical to mine but a lot more money for it! Good find smile

I added the picture showing the bench underside and the side panels on my wall as requested.

Regards

Shaolin95,

Looking at both ads for the bench I am reminded of the rather clever commercial that Crickett (cell phone service) has been running...

The subjects are asked if they want a $10 ride in a hansom cab or a $20 ride. "Does the $20 ride go further?" asks the subjects. "No" replies the driver, "you just pay more... so which do you want?" Duhhh...

I made the mistake of choosing a different import for just over $200 because it had storage. It was great for a month then got so noisy I can't use it even after lubricating and making sure all the joint were tight. I just ordered your bench in polished ebony. Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

Oh, may I ask where you purchaed the acoustical panels? They are attractive as well as funtional.

#2146291 - 09/08/13 11:44 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
shaolin95 Offline

I am glad you like the bench! Not having a storage is my only sad point with it but other than that I love it too.
The black panels I got them from GIK Acoustics. I got them when they were sort of starting (I was working at an Online Speakers company at the time) but now they have tons of options with cool designs etc.
The ones behind the piano, those foamy ones were from Amazon. I can get the link if you meant those.
Thanks!

#2146294 - 09/08/13 11:49 AM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]

Shaolin,

Did you ever think that you would become The Bench Dude?

grin

#2146298 - 09/08/13 12:00 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: shaolin95]
Piano RX Offline

Thanks "Bench Dude"... laugh

I found them on Amazon and will visit GIK as well. You really did a great job on the functional decorating of your piano space!

#2146422 - 09/08/13 02:58 PM Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! [Re: Piano RX]
shaolin95 Offline

Shaolin,

Did you ever think that you would become The Bench Dude?

grin

No, this is such an honor! laugh
I am thinking of making it my official nickname for this forum. lol

Originally Posted By: PianoismyScrip
Thanks "Bench Dude"... laugh

I found them on Amazon and will visit GIK as well. You really did a great job on the functional decorating of your piano space!

Why thank you. My friend Minnesota Marty helped me a ton to make my room look a lot better than what I started with! smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
148 registered (accordeur, Al LaPorte, Adypiano, 41 invisible), 1718 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153548 Topics
2250336 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Spinoff: What do we think of "technique seminars"?
by TwoSnowflakes
24 minutes 58 seconds ago
Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor
by noobpianist90
Today at 01:51 PM
A new performance experience... Need advice.
by Svenno
Today at 01:46 PM
Thoughts on the Yamaha P-255
by voxpops
Today at 01:17 PM
Piano Learning Myths...
by evamar
Today at 12:32 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission