Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2081274 - 05/12/13 09:35 AM I can play too well - and it is suspicious
Loga Offline

Recently I bought a Stingl baby grand, which is 84 yrs old, and my technician had renewed it completely. He said that it is very suprising, but is seems that every part of the piano is original, and barely used. The pier (?) of the piano has sunk, and it had to be rised, and a completely regulation was needed, but otherwise no spareparts have to be changed except the strings and the piles.

The result became quite good. However, I feel that I can play on this piano much better than on my upright before, and it is at least suspicious to me. My scales and arpeggios are more balanced, I can play on the baby grand faster with less effort. Is it due to the lighter key weights (it is somewhat lighter than my upright was before), or it is simply a better instrument? Is there any chance that this baby grand cheats me, and somehow serves me in a way that other pianos won't?

Thanks a lot!

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2081372 - 05/12/13 12:29 PM Re: I can play too well - and it is suspicious [Re: Loga]
ClsscLib Online   content

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Count your blessings! If it feels and sounds good to you, consider yourself a winner!

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2081409 - 05/12/13 02:17 PM Re: I can play too well - and it is suspicious [Re: Loga]
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London
A well-regulated good-quality piano can do wonders for one's technique. (I speak from experience!)

#2081515 - 05/12/13 06:30 PM Re: I can play too well - and it is suspicious [Re: Loga]
Phil D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
You may as well ask whether your car makes it too easy for you to get from A to B, and whether you should trade it back down to an old banger. Your piano is a musical instrument, and should make it as easy as possible for you to play the music you want to play!

#2081556 - 05/12/13 07:51 PM Re: I can play too well - and it is suspicious [Re: Loga]
Blues beater Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas USA
They could both be quality instruments, but one is to your taste and one is not. Personal taste matters! Another musician might prefer the upright.

#2081592 - 05/12/13 09:33 PM Re: I can play too well - and it is suspicious [Re: Loga]
RestorerPhil Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hello, Loga

I am assuming that you probably mean that the strings and tuning pins were replaced in this piano. In addition, regulation work was done. You were told that the internal parts of the piano were in amazingly well-preserved condition. Great for you.

You used a term which you notated with a question mark: "pier"
Perhaps you meant to say "peak." I am wondering if you might mean that the "crown" of the piano had sunk. If so, this would mean that the crown of the sound board had collapsed and need to be raised. Is that interpretation of mine correct? I am simply trying to get a good picture of what was done.

There are tricks which sometimes work to add crown to a sound board. They involve controlled drying cycles, repairs to cracks and what some rebuilders call "kerfing the bridges." In certain situations these repairs are useful. At other times, the cast iron frame (the harp or plate) can be reset lower to help tone. This second method can improve tone if the sound board has some crown left. The strings apply more pressure to the sound board (down-bearing,) when the plate has been positioned lower - closer to the sound board.

Do you know whether that sort of work was done? Inquiring minds want to know. It is good that you are enjoying the good work done on your piano!
Rebuilding & Restoration

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (accordeur, ajames, Allard, amin, Alan F, 37 invisible), 1414 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157233 Topics
2309352 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Player Piano Bellows Question
by UnrightTooner
09/02/14 09:40 AM
do you memorize a piece when you learn to play it?
by Peter071
09/02/14 06:13 AM
Which classical (piano) music may I like?
by Stefo
09/02/14 05:50 AM
When to compose?
by noobpianist90
09/02/14 04:16 AM
First Recordings on the New Steinway!
by Markarian
09/02/14 04:11 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission