Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2081484 - 05/12/13 05:21 PM Is digital piano a marketing term?
pianolover85 Offline

Well...As someone new to piano I am a bit puzzled by this...When people think about piano they usually associate it with grand and upright acoustic ones, and then there are keyboards that are mainly connected to the 80's dance and electronic scene...

As someone interested in piano, I am not into weird effects and electronized (is it a word?) music. It has its place for sure, but I want to keep piano learning as authentic as possible.

So is there a difference between a digital piano and a keyboard?
Since I am a beginner, buying a grand might not be very wise and I'm thinking buying a digital piano...but I want something with weighed keys without all the gimmicky sounds...

Is there any specific model you would suggest? in the 300 range...after tax it would almost cost 400!

Thanks for your time

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2081499 - 05/12/13 06:03 PM Re: Is digital piano a marketing term? [Re: pianolover85]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Yes a DP is different from a keyboard and also a synth or workstation, but there are overlaps. So it depends what type of music, amongst others, to make your choice, as tone generation, key actions, portability and programmability all vary between instruments.

300 what? Rupees, pounds, dollars(US, AUS, ...), renminbi, yen ... ? Casio tend to have the greatest variety in budget value DP's, but Yamaha and Korg are there too.

#2081577 - 05/12/13 08:30 PM Re: Is digital piano a marketing term? [Re: spanishbuddha]
pianolover85 Offline

I apologize for not specifying the currency but it is Canadian Dollar which is more or less on par with US Dollar in terms of value.

My musical style is pop, rock, and blues...and I hate cheesy effects.

Hope this helps

#2081582 - 05/12/13 08:54 PM Re: Is digital piano a marketing term? [Re: pianolover85]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
A DP is has weighted keys (usually with hammers and other mechanical devices to mimic the action of a piano). In my opinion, the four or so major brands do a pretty good job with their mid-range to upper range keyboards. Yamaha, Kawai, Casio & Roland. They all have different qualities, though, and each has its genuine fans on this board.

A DP will also probably have a superior piano sample set (and fair to mediocre, but very usable, sounds in addition). Roland and Casio give more sounds, usually.

As Spanish Buddha said, Casio offers about the best value in the lower (c. 500) range. Also Yamaha do some good entry level pianos: P105, maybe.

What do you mean by 'cheesy effects'? Piano layered with strings, perhaps?

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2081603 - 05/12/13 10:03 PM Re: Is digital piano a marketing term? [Re: toddy]
pianolover85 Offline

Yes. Thank you. I will check those out. What I mean by cheesy effects are those backing tracks, layered sound, and organ....making the keys sound like guitar strings.

I will check out the YAMAHA you mentioned.

Regards,
Sam

#2081673 - 05/13/13 02:38 AM Re: Is digital piano a marketing term? [Re: pianolover85]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
The lowest-cost solution for you might be a Casio PX-135. A few weeks ago, they were being sold at some Canadian Costco stores for around $400, with "furniture stand", pedals, and bench.

It doesn't have a lot of voices, the keyboard is weighted (not "synth style"), the piano sounds aren't bad. Both the keyboard action and sound generator are one 'generation' old, in the Casio line.

It's not as good (IMHO) as a PX-150, but it's less expensive.

A note:

As with most (all?) inexpensive digital pianos, the built-in loudspeakers on the PX-135 are too small to accurately reproduce the tonal range. If you're testing _any_ digital piano, bring a pair of good headphones.

. Charles

#2082193 - 05/14/13 12:16 AM Re: Is digital piano a marketing term? [Re: Charles Cohen]
pianolover85 Offline

Thanks Charles...I ll check it out...maybe even save and practice at the local library for while to buy a good one...

Also do you have any good music theory book/ website (paid) that you'd suggest?

Regards,

#2082203 - 05/14/13 12:48 AM Re: Is digital piano a marketing term? [Re: pianolover85]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: pianolover85

Also do you have any good music theory book/ website (paid) that you'd suggest?

I learned my theory "pre-Internet", and my books are long gone. I don't know how much you know. I once Googled:

. . . how to play a lead sheet

and got quite a few useful hits.

I've been working through Tim Richards' "Improvising Blues Piano", and there's a fair bit of theory instruction in it. His two books "Exploring Jazz Piano" have even more.

That might be a good place to start. Check the library; they're about $25 each. Well worth the cost if you like them.

. Charles

#2082261 - 05/14/13 03:34 AM Re: Is digital piano a marketing term? [Re: pianolover85]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
Originally Posted By: pianolover85
What I mean by cheesy effects are those backing tracks, layered sound, and organ....making the keys sound like guitar strings.

Hey easy now, remember you're talking to a mixed crowd here. Some of us enjoy that kind of thing. wink Well, I'm not much of an organist or keyboarding guitarist (or is it guitar'ing keyboardist?), but I do love me some orchestral sounds, and I layer the heck out of them.

But yes, a DP is its own animal focused mostly around piano, but maybe with a few extra sounds built in. Generally found with 88 weighted hammer-action keys, but sometimes less (and there's also a semi-weighted variety - usually on the smaller 'boards).

Synthesizers and workstations can also have 88 weighted or semi-weighted keys (usually non hammer-action), but piano won't be the primary focus -- though some do have very decent pianos. Synths "synthesize" sounds (as in create their own or edit existing ones) which can range from synthetic 80's/disco sounds to multitimbral orchestral emulations. Workstations do all this plus add in sequencing (recording songs or arrangements) and sampling (recording outside sounds aka car horn, voice, etc). Your "all-in-one" machine, if you will. Jack of all trades, master of some.

"Keyboard" is kind of the unofficial name for a (usually) 61-key unweighted board which will have internal sounds and may or may not have synthesizing capability. These range from Wal*Mart toys to $1,500 synths. It's kind of the "catch-all" term.

Edited by LesCharles73 (05/14/13 03:38 AM)

#2082839 - 05/15/13 12:43 AM Re: Is digital piano a marketing term? [Re: pianolover85]
priv Offline

Loc: Tapei, Taiwan
Actually by definition, anything with black and white keys similar to piano's is an keyboard instrument. If you just say "keyboard", it is a very vague term.

For digital keyboard instruments, different names may be marketing terms, but I would not count digital piano as one of them.

From the name, digital piano is the digital replica of an acoustic piano. It must have 88 weighted keys and (decent) piano sounds, which you may not find on all the other types of keyboards.

Since I can see you're not interested in other type of keyboards, it is not necessary to explain too much on them.

Edited by priv (05/15/13 12:44 AM)

#2083861 - 05/16/13 10:43 PM Re: Is digital piano a marketing term? [Re: pianolover85]
pianolover85 Offline

Sorry Everyone...I did not mean to offend anybody smile Sincerely apologize for that...
Thanks for all your perspectives...I actually saw a Roland the other day in store...It was $1900 (Canadian). Very classy! But first I've got to get to Alfred's level 3 and have some songs under my belt before that purchase.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
83 registered (Atrys, AZNpiano, AndrewJCW, Art_Vandelay, a-z0-9, 21 invisible), 1263 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156277 Topics
2295054 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
26 minutes 16 seconds ago
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
Today at 01:58 AM
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
Today at 12:42 AM
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
Today at 12:15 AM
picking a fight: how many movements in op.110?
by beet31425
Yesterday at 11:36 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission