2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 1,921 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 24 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 23 24
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by JoelW
Originally Posted by currawong
I have met some people in my life, even in my own extended family, who lack absolutely any talent, yet they have a strong desire. It's very difficult to watch them attempt to follow even a 4/4 beat, getting transitions correct, following simple queues, etc. People like this don't have a chance at ever becoming competent musicians at any level.
Well I hope you're not thinking of becoming a teacher (at any level).
Since when do teachers have to lie? If a student has very little to no talent and isn't progressing whatsoever, why waste their time and money if I know full-well what's going on?
Teachers don't have to lie - what they do have to do is find the potential in every student, and believe me, after 45 years of music teaching, I don't think I've come across a single student who had no potential, and I certainly wouldn't have the arrogance to decide that on superficial impressions. (I'm not talking about students who have a burning desire to become the next Richter - but then I dare say the person you mentioned who couldn't keep a beat didn't have this ambition either. smile )

Du holde Kunst...
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have met some people in my life, even in my own extended family, who lack absolutely any talent, yet they have a strong desire. It's very difficult to watch them attempt to follow even a 4/4 beat, getting transitions correct, following simple queues, etc. People like this don't have a chance at ever becoming competent musicians at any level.
Well I hope you're not thinking of becoming a teacher (at any level).
Since when do teachers have to lie? If a student has very little to no talent and isn't progressing whatsoever, why waste their time and money if I know full-well what's going on?
Teachers don't have to lie - what they do have to do is find the potential in every student, and believe me, after 45 years of music teaching, I don't think I've come across a single student who had no potential, and I certainly wouldn't have the arrogance to decide that on superficial impressions. (I'm not talking about students who have a burning desire to become the next Richter - but then I dare say the person you mentioned who couldn't keep a beat didn't have this ambition either. smile )

I was editing as you wrote this. Care to reflect on my addition?

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I hold this view mainly for parents who are pushing their kids to play piano.
A slight shift from "who lack absolutely any talent, yet they have a strong desire", but I find more to agree with in your edited post.
I've seen many people whose potential did not show itself for some time, and it's worth cultivating the patience that can listen to stumbling attempts and work out how to help a person develop skills - in fact, for a teacher I think it's essential.

Du holde Kunst...
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by landorrano
Originally Posted by Old Man

Martha Argerich - Age 4. Orchestral debut at age 8
Claudio Arrau - Age 5. Could read notes before letters.
Daniel Barenboim - Age 7.
Glenn Gould - Age 4. Passed conservatory final exam with highest marks ever at age 12. Attained "professional standing as a pianist".
Horacio Gutierrez - Orchestral debut at age 11.

It seems that every one of these pianists comes from a musical family.

True, but you would agree that coming from a musical family is no guarantee of professional success. For every Argerich, Arrau, Barenboim, Gould, and Gutierrez, how many hundreds from musical families have failed to make any mark whatsoever on the circuit?

The pianists listed above are exceptional examples, and maybe things would have been different had they not come from musical families. OTH, I don't know the particular details of their respective childhoods, but it cannot have been the same for all of them.

Jason
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by wr
The quote about Gould ties in with something I was thinking about - do things that happen in the womb count as innate or nurture? In a way, it might seem obvious to be nurture, but I think that in terms of talking about talent in the usual sense, I would consider it innate, because whatever influence of that kind is there, it is part of the person at birth.

I tend to think of any kind of exposure as a learning experience, whether it happens in the womb or not. I'm not sure, but if I remember correctly, there isn't a huge learning gap between kids who listen to classical music (particularly Mozart) in the womb and those who don't. I honestly forget, though. Read a paper on it over a decade ago when a psych prof introduced me to the idea of how the brain learns.

Originally Posted by argerichfan
For every Argerich, Arrau, Barenboim, Gould, and Gutierrez, how many hundreds from musical families have failed to make any mark whatsoever on the circuit?

Quite probably thousands..

In the martial arts, there are maybe 10-15 famous names. There are 30 million active practitioners in the US alone.

In the publishing world (for which there are no accurate figures in existence), Jack Canfield once told me 1 in 1,000 works gets published. 1 in 20 of those is by an author who makes their living from writing. And 1 in 100 of those is Stephen King. So, if 325k works are published a year (in the US), that's 325 million that don't get published.

Side note: our UK friends will be happy to note that, per capita, they publish more books than any other nation.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I hold this view mainly for parents who are pushing their kids to play piano.
A slight shift from "who lack absolutely any talent, yet they have a strong desire", but I find more to agree with in your edited post.
I've seen many people whose potential did not show itself for some time, and it's worth cultivating the patience that can listen to stumbling attempts and work out how to help a person develop skills - in fact, for a teacher I think it's essential.

You're right, I misrepresented myself. My mistake.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
I love this thread - the thread that keeps on giving! (or is that going?) The debate really centers around whether that monkey can come up with Shakespeare's plays and sonnets typing into infinity or once you've missed the boat that's that. I'll go for the former as I think wisdom is acquired or at least you gotta wait around a while whereas there are get-rounds when it comes to facility in learning (the most obvious one being time).

Laissez tomber les mains
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
I love this thread - the thread that keeps on giving! (or is that going?) The debate really centers around whether that monkey can come up with Shakespeare's plays and sonnets typing into infinity or once you've missed the boat that's that. I'll go for the former as I think wisdom is acquired or at least you gotta wait around a while whereas there are get-rounds when it comes to facility in learning (the most obvious one being time).

For practical purposes, that's that.

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
One of the prodigies in my list was Helen Huang. According to her bio, she began taking lessons at age 5 and made her debut with the Philadelphia Orchestra at age 8, after winning its student concerto competition. Assuming she didn't play the "Twinkle Twinkle Concerto in C Major", what could possibly explain such lightning-fast progress? From nothing to a concerto in 3 years?!! It's in the genes, folks.

And from a personal perspective, I was saturated with classical music from the womb onward. My dad was a church organist his entire life, my mom sold classical records in the 40s, and was quite an opera expert, so our home was suffused with music. My childhood idol was Vladimir Horowitz, not Mickey Mantle, and my passion for piano has never waned in 63 years.

But after attempting a couple of quarters at the university level, I realized quickly at age 20 that I simply didn't have the chops, and never would. Sure, a Chopin waltz or two, a Bach invention or two, but playing never came easy to me, no matter how many hours I practiced. I was forced to accept my limitations and move on.

This does not mean, however, that those of us with limited talent should simply throw up our hands and give up! With a good teacher and the discipline to put in the hours, anyone can and will improve. I think Kreisler summed it up quite nicely a while back:
Originally Posted by Kreisler
I don't believe anyone can, through hard work, be as good as Kissin.

I don't believe anyone can, through hard work, be as good as Tiger Woods.

I do believe that anyone can, through hard work, learn to play golf well enough to enjoy it.

I do believe that anyone can, through hard work, learn to play the piano well enough to enjoy it.

The last word.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
But after attempting a couple of quarters at the university level, I realized quickly at age 20 that I simply didn't have the chops, and never would. Sure, a Chopin waltz or two, a Bach invention or two, but playing never came easy to me, no matter how many hours I practiced. I was forced to accept my limitations and move on.

I genuinely feel bad for you, my friend. You gave up way too soon, and way too easily. A couple quarters at the university vs 20 years of hard work and dedication with an outstanding teacher (the Yuja Wang example we used earlier). What did you expect? We always perceive that we progress slowest at the beginning, but if we want the end result, we have to push through that and keep going.. smile

If we ever get a chance to sit down at the keys, I should like to see and hear you play.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
OP Offline

The last word.

I'll have the last word thank you very much. Ha!

But after attempting a couple of quarters at the university level, I realized quickly at age 20 that I simply didn't have the chops, and never would.

But you do explain the crux of the talent argument quite nicely, don't you?

Talent is often used to quell pain of our past failures. How utterly un-brave are those who let the notion of talent define them and their life. I will never offer any forbearance to such rationalizations for my shortcomings. At the heart of it all most have failed to tread upon the deep hidden corridors of our souls to find the genius that lies within us all. It is soothing to tell ourselves its not our fault, it is not because of us that we lack the skill. No, it must be our maker, it must be the universe that has cursed us to this life of mediocrity so no, I am not the one to blame.

So difficult is it for us to be honest with ourselves. So unwilling are we to entertain an extremely plausible truth that it is indeed us who are to blame. We don't want to believe that there is a 7 year old child out there right now watching someone else play the piano and is enamored by their playing. That this child goes home to its family's dusty out-of-tune piano and sits and plays for days trying to recollect what those notes were. And that child's parents too busy with the whirlwinds of life hardly notice this subtle yet monumental change, never paying attention. Days turn to months and in fact months turns to years and one day that child's mother who never thought much of the child's strange obsession with banging on the piano hears something. Something beautiful and she's stunned. For her it is the first time in a while that she stopped to listen but now these notes sound like heavenly melodies raining from heaven. My child has God-given talent she exclaims. But she's wrong.

She missed those days, weeks, months when that child struggled so earnestly with no success to recreate those melodies from long ago. No it is not God-given talent that propelled this child, it was the innocent naiveté to believe that those notes would eventually come but importantly that change that happened years ago when no one was looking when that child first heard those notes the change deep in this child wasn't a rewiring of the brain, it wasn't a sudden activation of a gene pathway. It was a fascination for what was heard, it was a deep affection for what was felt, it was beauty.... it wasn't talent.
Indeed, it was love.

"What is genius? To aspire to a lofty aim and to will the means to that aim" -Nietzsche
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Woohoo we're done.

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by King Cole

The last word.

I'll have the last word thank you very much. Ha!

Ha! As well you should! smile All I was trying to say is that Kreisler's quote was "the last word" on this entire subject.
Originally Posted by King Cole

But you do explain the crux of the talent argument quite nicely, don't you?

Talent is often used to quell pain of our past failures. How utterly un-brave are those who let the notion of talent define them and their life. I will never offer any forbearance to such rationalizations for my shortcomings. At the heart of it all most have failed to tread upon the deep hidden corridors of our souls to find the genius that lies within us all. It is soothing to tell ourselves its not our fault, it is not because of us that we lack the skill. No, it must be our maker, it must be the universe that has cursed us to this life of mediocrity so no, I am not the one to blame.

Eloquently stated, but completely wrong. I can do without the psychoanalysis (on PW we leave that to MarkC laugh ), and now wish I hadn't personalized it. It's no great tragedy that I don't have the innate ability to play well, and I'm certainly not making excuses. The list of things I can't do (understand quantum mechanics, write a great novel, play tennis like Federer, play golf like Tiger, perform neurosurgery, etc.) is infinite, as it is for most of us. We can all improve ourselves in these areas, but there is a limit to how far we can progress, and all the hard work in the world won't change that. You may believe this is a self-imposed, artificial limit (i.e. an excuse or rationalization), but it's simple reality.

All the wonderful things you described in your post will never explain how a child can be playing with orchestras in as little as 3, 5, 7 years after beginning lessons. I'd love to poll the teachers on this forum, and find out how many times in their teaching careers they've assigned serious study of a concerto in so little time. I'm sure it happens, but I suspect it's a rarity. To believe that just the right combination of hard work, dedication, exposure to music, nurturing, etc. can bring about this miracle is, IMHO, sheer fantasy.

So, KC, get practicing and prove me wrong! smile

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
The list of things I can't do (understand quantum mechanics, write a great novel, play tennis like Federer, play golf like Tiger, perform neurosurgery, etc.) is infinite, as it is for most of us. We can all improve ourselves in these areas, but there is a limit to how far we can progress, and all the hard work in the world won't change that. You may believe this is a self-imposed, artificial limit (i.e. an excuse or rationalization), but it's simple reality.

I think I would consider the greatest limiting factor "time". It takes time to understand QM, write a novel (let alone a great one), learn to play tennis, golf, etc etc. If we dedicate that time, we will see results. If not....

I understand quantum mechanics. As well as Heisenberg, Schrodinger, or Bohr? No, but then, I didn't spend nearly the time they did trying. I've written a novel. Is it Stephen King? No, but then, I didn't take drugs so I could work for 20 hours a day on my writing, either. I can play golf. As well as Tiger? No, but then, I didn't play in college, nor did I hit 3000 balls a day, or spend 5-6 hours on the putting green like he did. I don't play tennis, and no one has yet allowed me to cut open their brain. Any takers? wink

I think it's perfectly fine to not be good at something. But I think it's important to understand why we're not, and why someone else is better. 99.99999% of the time, it's because they worked harder, smarter, and longer.

So, KC, get practicing and prove me wrong!

Yes, KC, put a nail in "talent's" coffin and please do this! haha laugh

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Derulux
The list of things I can't do (understand quantum mechanics, write a great novel, play tennis like Federer, play golf like Tiger, perform neurosurgery, etc.) is infinite, as it is for most of us. We can all improve ourselves in these areas, but there is a limit to how far we can progress, and all the hard work in the world won't change that. You may believe this is a self-imposed, artificial limit (i.e. an excuse or rationalization), but it's simple reality.

I think I would consider the greatest limiting factor "time". It takes time to understand QM, write a novel (let alone a great one), learn to play tennis, golf, etc etc. If we dedicate that time, we will see results.

Yes, we will see results - but only up to a point.

Originally Posted by Derelux
I understand quantum mechanics. As well as Heisenberg, Schrodinger, or Bohr?

Boy, I sure know how to pick 'em. crazy I just pulled that one out of my ... never mind.

I think it's perfectly fine to not be good at something. But I think it's important to understand why we're not, and why someone else is better. 99.99999% of the time, it's because they worked harder, smarter, and longer.

I would say that 99.99999% of the time it's never because of what you said.

So, KC, get practicing and prove me wrong!
Yes, KC, put a nail in "talent's" coffin and please do this! haha laugh

OK, fine. Let's adopt Okiikahuna's phrase: "innate aptitude". As I said, names don't matter. grin

If we ever get a chance to sit down at the keys, I should like to see and hear you play.

ha I guess that's the nature of internet forums. People think they can withstand anything! laugh No, I will have my hands in my pocket, and you will astound me with your playing. smile

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Derulux

I think I would consider the greatest limiting factor "time". It takes time to understand QM, write a novel (let alone a great one), learn to play tennis, golf, etc etc. If we dedicate that time, we will see results.

Yes, we will see results - but only up to a point.

I understand quantum mechanics. As well as Heisenberg, Schrodinger, or Bohr?

Boy, I sure know how to pick 'em. crazy I just pulled that one out of my ... never mind.

HAHA yeah, you picked a good one. If you had chosen 16th century French literature, I would have been in trouble.. laugh

ha I guess that's the nature of internet forums. People think they can withstand anything! laugh No, I will have my hands in my pocket, and you will astound me with your playing. smile

My playing's not that great; I used to be better (lack of piano and available practice time). But if that's what it took, I'd certainly be willing to make you yawn. smile

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by slipperykeys

"For talent itself, in its most general sense-that exhibition of a strong bias toward some particular pursuit, may be defined, from its results, as simply: ability to learn with ease.

Tobias Matthay, "First Principles of PIANOFORTE PLAYING"

I wanted to respond to this earlier, but got distracted.

Defining talent by results is a bit too easy, I think. To me, that result - ability to learn with ease - is just a result, but not the thing itself.

I think talent is more about a special kind of comprehension of a given subject matter. To get that comprehension manifested in the real world, it needs to be coupled with some particular physical attributes and the kind of focus/discipline/desire that propels a person to actually do what it takes to achieve what the mind is presenting as possible. I think there are lots of talented people who, for various reasons, never turn that talent into their life's work, much less a major international career.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
but there is a limit to how far we can progress, and all the hard work in the world won't change that. You may believe this is a self-imposed, artificial limit (i.e. an excuse or rationalization), but it's simple reality.

All the wonderful things you described in your post will never explain how a child can be playing with orchestras in as little as 3, 5, 7 years after beginning lessons. I'd love to poll the teachers on this forum, and find out how many times in their teaching careers they've assigned serious study of a concerto in so little time. I'm sure it happens, but I suspect it's a rarity. To believe that just the right combination of hard work, dedication, exposure to music, nurturing, etc. can bring about this miracle is, IMHO, sheer fantasy.

There are many studies by neuro-scientists that indicate the mind develops some specific talents at particular times. For example it's well known that younger people learn languages more easily, but even children who learn a new language after somewhere between the age of 6-8 will have an accent. Among pianists it's believed that anyone starting to play the piano after the age of 8-10 will never develop the technique of virtuoso (and it's generally believed the younger the better). These are not self imposed limitations these are proven scientific facts.

For example this study indicates that hearing impaired children develop better language skills the younger there is intervention in their hearing impairment.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/106/3/e43.full

However, that doesn't mean that any child starting at the age of 5 can develop into a virtuoso. That takes commitment determination and yes probably innate talent.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
M
M
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler

There are many studies by neuro-scientists that indicate the mind develops some specific talents at particular times. For example it's well known that younger people learn languages more easily, but even children who learn a new language after somewhere between the age of 6-8 will have an accent. Among pianists it's believed that anyone starting to play the piano after the age of 8-10 will never develop the technique of virtuoso (and it's generally believed the younger the better). These are not self imposed limitations these are proven scientific facts.

It would be interesting if we could provide a concrete example of a technical skill that definitely could not be acquired after age 10. Like if could we say definitively, e.g. it is not possible to learn how to play an Ab major scale in perfect fourths at 120 bpm (semiquaver) with relaxed hands and good technical form after the age of ten. Maybe there are examples like that out there, but to me I struggle to think of any.

I approach this as someone who had a piano at home growing up from around age 10 but only started formal training during adulthood. For me, when I am approaching a new technical challenge (e.g. simultaneous trills in both hands) I generally start at the point of not being able to do it, break it down step by step, increase the tempo and end up being able to do it with solid technique. I am never 100% sure what is meant when people say it's not possible to acquire technique during adulthood because it seems to contradict my experience. And when we speak of technique aren't we just thinking of the sum of all of those individual technical skills? Feel free to straighten me out here if you think I am off track.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by slipperykeys

"For talent itself, in its most general sense-that exhibition of a strong bias toward some particular pursuit, may be defined, from its results, as simply: ability to learn with ease.

Tobias Matthay, "First Principles of PIANOFORTE PLAYING"

I wanted to respond to this earlier, but got distracted.

Defining talent by results is a bit too easy, I think. To me, that result - ability to learn with ease - is just a result, but not the thing itself.

I think talent is more about a special kind of comprehension of a given subject matter. To get that comprehension manifested in the real world, it needs to be coupled with some particular physical attributes and the kind of focus/discipline/desire that propels a person to actually do what it takes to achieve what the mind is presenting as possible. I think there are lots of talented people who, for various reasons, never turn that talent into their life's work, much less a major international career.

While I disagree that this "special" comprehension is called "talent", at this point, we would largely be arguing semantics and language, because I agree with darn near every word you said here. smile

Originally Posted by Steve Chandler

I've read a couple of these, but I admit, most of the details have since left me. Regarding accents, particularly, I believe there was a study done that showed that some people's brains develop the ability to pick up accents much faster and easier than others. I believe it was because their brains used "movement" centers in conjunction with "speech" centers--impressionists do this very well. But I don't remember anything in that study that limited the ability by age..? (could be wrong)

Originally Posted by mermilylumpkin
I am never 100% sure what is meant when people say it's not possible to acquire technique during adulthood because it seems to contradict my experience. And when we speak of technique aren't we just thinking of the sum of all of those individual technical skills? Feel free to straighten me out here if you think I am off track.

No, I think you're on track. From my experience, and that's not to say it's everyone in the camp, those who believe that people can't learn the piano after age "x" tend to think of it more as a language, and use "language-based" arguments. But playing the piano isn't about language. It's about movement. And adults learn fine motor skill coordination far more easily than children.

Now, someone who has never heard music before may be at a disadvantage in interpreting the written notes into sounds, but I don't know anybody in that category, nor do I think it would be a permanent handicap. One could simply focus on movements to produce the required sounds.

Some people seem to intuit movement by sound; others intuit sound by movement. Doesn't matter much which side you're on, so long as the result is the same. wink

Page 11 of 24 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 23 24

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission