2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
38 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Loga Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Recently I bought a Stingl baby grand, which is 84 yrs old, and my technician had renewed it completely. He said that it is very suprising, but is seems that every part of the piano is original, and barely used. The pier (?) of the piano has sunk, and it had to be rised, and a completely regulation was needed, but otherwise no spareparts have to be changed except the strings and the piles.

The result became quite good. However, I feel that I can play on this piano much better than on my upright before, and it is at least suspicious to me. My scales and arpeggios are more balanced, I can play on the baby grand faster with less effort. Is it due to the lighter key weights (it is somewhat lighter than my upright was before), or it is simply a better instrument? Is there any chance that this baby grand cheats me, and somehow serves me in a way that other pianos won't?

Thanks a lot!

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Count your blessings! If it feels and sounds good to you, consider yourself a winner!

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
A well-regulated good-quality piano can do wonders for one's technique. (I speak from experience!)

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
You may as well ask whether your car makes it too easy for you to get from A to B, and whether you should trade it back down to an old banger. Your piano is a musical instrument, and should make it as easy as possible for you to play the music you want to play!

B
B
They could both be quality instruments, but one is to your taste and one is not. Personal taste matters! Another musician might prefer the upright.

Don, playing the blues in Austin, Texas on a 48" family heirloom Steinway upright, 100 year old, Starr, ca. 100 years old full size upright, Yamaha U30. Yamaha electric.
R
R
Hello, Loga

I am assuming that you probably mean that the strings and tuning pins were replaced in this piano. In addition, regulation work was done. You were told that the internal parts of the piano were in amazingly well-preserved condition. Great for you.

You used a term which you notated with a question mark: "pier"
Perhaps you meant to say "peak." I am wondering if you might mean that the "crown" of the piano had sunk. If so, this would mean that the crown of the sound board had collapsed and need to be raised. Is that interpretation of mine correct? I am simply trying to get a good picture of what was done.

There are tricks which sometimes work to add crown to a sound board. They involve controlled drying cycles, repairs to cracks and what some rebuilders call "kerfing the bridges." In certain situations these repairs are useful. At other times, the cast iron frame (the harp or plate) can be reset lower to help tone. This second method can improve tone if the sound board has some crown left. The strings apply more pressure to the sound board (down-bearing,) when the plate has been positioned lower - closer to the sound board.

Do you know whether that sort of work was done? Inquiring minds want to know. It is good that you are enjoying the good work done on your piano!

Lavender Piano Services
Established 1977
Tuning, Concert Maintenance,
Rebuilding & Restoration

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission