2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by dynamobt
Talked with my builder and my piano technician. The thought is that the vapor barrier is working too well and trapping moisture in the room giving it nowhere to go.

That really doesn't seem possible.

If in fact your room is built correctly, then your humidifier is malfunctioning.

If the vapor barrier were working too well and construction was very tight (and I've seen European construction where infiltration was so low that humidity really did build up) then your humidifier should sense that and stop emitting water. It has a humidistat, or should.

It's like if your room temperature went to 100 degrees F, and your builder told you it was too well insulated. Nope. Your thermostat should know what temperature it is, and turn the furnace off when setpoint is reached.

Either your room is built incorrectly, or your humidifier is working wrong, or both. Correctly constructed rooms do not have condensation with a properly functioning humidifier.

In my experience (I'm a mechanical engineer, and this is what I do) about 90% of the time it's the humidifier. But in your case I'd have to see it.

gotta go practice
R
R
As I have watched this thread, I tend to agree that the humidifier has a problem with its humidistat. Perhaps it is cycling too widely - going too wet before stopping the addition of water to the air. If this assumption is correct and we had a long-term graph, it would show severe peaks in the relative humidity during times when the heat was being used.

Of course, vapor barrier application is important - being very different here in the south than in the northern part of the country. In this case, however, it seems that something beyond the vapor barrier issue alone is in play. The Dampp Chaser system can't solve the whole-house-system puzzle, but it can take care of your piano, regardless of the possible quirks which may be found in your home system's humidistat.

Lavender Piano Services
Established 1977
Tuning, Concert Maintenance,
Rebuilding & Restoration
M
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Where is the humidistat located? If it is on the cold air return duct near the furnace and has a knob for adjusting the humidity level, I'll send you a new one free. I have several lying about. Takes 10 minutes to replace, which you can do yourself (2 wires, 24 volt system).

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission