2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 12 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Folks,

I am thinking of publishing some original composition (sheet music) as e-Book that can be commercially sold (e.g., via Amazon.com or any other third-party commercial retailers/websites that sell e-Books).

I don't really know where to start, and would appreciate any advise from composers who have looked into this matter before. Thanks in advance!

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Hi Ax,

Where've you been? I don't believe I can help you as my self publishing has been limited to have scores spiral bound at a local print shop. My concern with regular binding is the difficulty in making the music easily readable, i.e. having the score book stay open to the page selected. This is quite easy with spiral bound books, comb binding works okay but the pages can be a pain in the butt to turn and regular book binding needs time to break in. Just thought I'd voice a few concerns. Good luck! Is there anything you'd like to post here so we can see what you've done?

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Steve.

Indeed, I agree with your spiral binding vs. other binding comment, and I was already intending on including a "how to use this eBook" section advising those who would rather print it out to go with spiral binding.

Considering that this is for a four-hand piece, choice of binding is critical. And I will also include instructions on "how to use this e-Book with TWO e-readers simultaneously" if the pianists want to forge ahead using e-readers.

(I hope to post samples of some sort after I get closer to compiling the finished product and have a better view on when this thing will be published.)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The e-book idea (kindle perhaps) is REALLY difficult at the moment... Problem is that the formats available for e-books deal with normal text fonts and NOT music ones, which means that you have to make the score into images and that would make the file huge for kindle and other e-readers.

Making them into PDF files makes things suspiciously easy to pirate unfortunately, so it's not an option either...

The spiral binding is an option, but in any case I'm not too fond, for the reasons Steve mentioned.

BTW, if you'd like I'm the owner of Editions Musica Ferrum and a work for 4 hands (piano) has just been released, so it might be interesting to you, to check out the format, etc...

If you need any other help, let me know (if I can help at all, that is)...

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thank you, Nikolas.
Despite the difficulties, does Musica Ferrum publish any sheet music e-book?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Axtremus
Thank you, Nikolas.
Despite the difficulties, does Musica Ferrum publish any sheet music e-book?
At the moment no, but we have our eye in a website (that we're actually awaiting a reply), and we will give it a try...

I still think that since a music score (especially a piano score) is connected with such a practical activity, such as playing the piano, that it's difficult take out the physical object and replace it with an ipad.

At least for now...

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
UPDATE:

My first sheet music e-book experiment with Kindle is now "published."
It is currently being promoted as a free book:

http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Vox-Blues-Little-ebook/dp/B00DTXELXC/

Please check it out and let me know how well it works (or not work) on your Kindle devices (or in your Kindle app running on other devices).

To hear what the music would sound like, go here: http://www.PianoRecital.org/Jazz-Vox-Blues/

Thanks for all your feedback so far! smile

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission