Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2081977 - 05/13/13 03:55 PM How do you keep them interested?
hippido Offline

Loc: SoCal
The Bach festival in our area is changed this year to a level format. That is, students are selected from branch level to play at regional level, and so on. After the branch level, my son started learning new pieces, and just recently returned to the Bach pieces to prepare for the upcoming festival. Although, he's practicing/polishing the Bach pieces, I can tell that he's bored and would do just enough then move on to practice his newer pieces. I'm concerned that although he plays those pieces better now than several months ago, it might not be good enough to pass the next level.

What are some of the things that can be done to keep him interested/motivated? (He is in grade school, so his attention span is limited).

Also, when a festival consists of multiple levels that are months apart, do your students play the same pieces for all levels or do they learn new pieces for each one?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2082031 - 05/13/13 06:05 PM Re: How do you keep them interested? [Re: hippido]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I only send the most talented students to Bach Regionals, and have done so for several years now. A lot of teachers only send their best kids to Regionals because the playing level is so ridiculously high. By the time they hit Regionals, most of my students will have already been playing the same Bach piece for a year. I don't do CWA, but I know some of my colleagues who do CWA; they make their kids play the same Bach piece for two years or longer. I think that's borderline cruel.

If your son is already "bored" between the branch event and Bach Regionals, then Bach Regionals is definitely not for him.

#2082048 - 05/13/13 06:50 PM Re: How do you keep them interested? [Re: hippido]
musicpassion Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
I'm not sure if the details of our Baroque regional work the same as yours. In our branch some students are "invited" to the regional level. The ones invited are of course the ones who are rated highly enough by the adjudicator.

Anyway we also have the problem that the regional can be months later when our students have long since moved on from that particular Baroque piece.

My solution is that we often decline the invitation to the regional.

#2082094 - 05/13/13 08:19 PM Re: How do you keep them interested? [Re: hippido]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
Originally Posted By: hippido
What are some of the things that can be done to keep him interested/motivated?

Do you mean keep him interest in his Bach piece or keep him interest in piano lesson overall?
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2082526 - 05/14/13 03:53 PM Re: How do you keep them interested? [Re: AZNpiano]
hippido Offline

Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
I don't do CWA, but I know some of my colleagues who do CWA; they make their kids play the same Bach piece for two years or longer. I think that's borderline cruel.

I agree that playing the same piece for two+ years is a bit much. Fortunately for him (and us), my son's teacher asked him to put the Bach pieces aside and worked on new pieces after the festival. He just recentl returned to those for the upcoming Regionals.

#2082528 - 05/14/13 03:59 PM Re: How do you keep them interested? [Re: musicpassion]
hippido Offline

Originally Posted By: musicpassion
I'm not sure if the details of our Baroque regional work the same as yours. In our branch some students are "invited" to the regional level. The ones invited are of course the ones who are rated highly enough by the adjudicator.

Anyway we also have the problem that the regional can be months later when our students have long since moved on from that particular Baroque piece.

I think our festival is the same format as yours. I think two years ago, one could sign up for the Regionals directly. Not sure why MTAC changed it this year. Is it a requirement that the students play the same pice at each level?

#2082531 - 05/14/13 04:04 PM Re: How do you keep them interested? [Re: ezpiano.org]
hippido Offline

Originally Posted By: ezpiano.org
Do you mean keep him interest in his Bach piece or keep him interest in piano lesson overall?

I mean keeping him interest in the Bach pieces. He prefers working on his "new" pieces instead of polishing the Bach pieces for the upcoming festival.

#2082586 - 05/14/13 05:53 PM Re: How do you keep them interested? [Re: hippido]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: musicpassion

I think our festival is the same format as yours. I think two years ago, one could sign up for the Regionals directly. Not sure why MTAC changed it this year. Is it a requirement that the students play the same pice at each level?

First of all, Bach Festival is a separate entity, not governed by MTAC.

I'm pretty sure the rules are the same for all branches and regions. They have to be! Otherwise it's not fair to kids in other branches/regions. There are no rule changes that I'm aware of, and I've never heard of people signing up for Regionals directly, bypassing the branch event--unless you're talking about voice, strings, and winds.

It's always been the requirement that the student plays the same piece at the branch and regional levels, even way back when I did Bach Festival as a student. But back then we didn't have Regionals as a competitive event; it was more of a recital, and the performance level was pretty horrible since everybody just stopped practicing their pieces after the branch event.

#2082601 - 05/14/13 06:16 PM Re: How do you keep them interested? [Re: AZNpiano]
musicpassion Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA

I'm pretty sure the rules are the same for all branches and regions.

Ok then we are talking about different programs. I haven't heard of the event you're talking about. Our Baroque festival is governed by MTAC branches.

#2082617 - 05/14/13 06:42 PM Re: How do you keep them interested? [Re: musicpassion]
pianomouse Offline

Loc: Europe
Maybe having an extra lesson about those Bach pieces with another teacher - who should be really good on Bach - could give him some new insights and motivation to work at those pieces from a different angle. I'm thinking about some kind of masterclass. Maybe his teacher would even help to find someone.

#2082662 - 05/14/13 08:34 PM Re: How do you keep them interested? [Re: hippido]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
To answer your question, how to keep your son interest in Bach's piece.....

Bach's pieces themselves are very interesting piece. You either love Bach so much, or you hate it so much. That is my experience with my students. I won't feel surprise or offended by my students if they tell me they do not like Bach's piece. If that is the case, I will assign Sacrlatti's Sonata instead of Bach's Prelude or Fugue, or Invention.

Playing a same piece for two years is too long!! I won't blame that your son is losing interest in this piece.

Pianomouse's idea is the best idea. Try this link Craig Richey at Long Beach State. I attended his presentation about Bach's piece a while ago and I really like him and his interpretation. Let your teacher knows that you like to have a master teacher maybe every other month to support your current Bach piece. A mature teacher should not have problem with this.
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2083177 - 05/15/13 03:36 PM Re: How do you keep them interested? [Re: AZNpiano]
hippido Offline

Two years ago, my son went to a Bach festival held at Cypress College. Are they not the same event?

#2083179 - 05/15/13 03:40 PM Re: How do you keep them interested? [Re: pianomouse]
hippido Offline

Originally Posted By: pianomouse
Maybe having an extra lesson about those Bach pieces with another teacher - who should be really good on Bach - could give him some new insights and motivation to work at those pieces from a different angle. I'm thinking about some kind of masterclass. Maybe his teacher would even help to find someone.

His teacher gives piano masterclasses, and she's known for Bach, so I'm afraid it might not go over too well with her if we ask her to send him to a masterclass. Thanks for your put, though.

#2083182 - 05/15/13 03:46 PM Re: How do you keep them interested? [Re: hippido]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Two years ago, my son went to a Bach festival held at Cypress College. Are they not the same event?

I don't know what branch/region you are in, so your branch/region may very well have used Cypress College for its Bach Festival. Alternatively, it may also have been a different competition, which has since been canceled by its organizer.

You really should read the information at www.scjbf.org. It will answer a lot of your questions.

#2083185 - 05/15/13 03:50 PM Re: How do you keep them interested? [Re: ezpiano.org]
hippido Offline

Originally Posted By: ezpiano.org
Bach's pieces themselves are very interesting piece. You either love Bach so much, or you hate it so much. That is my experience with my students. I won't feel surprise or offended by my students if they tell me they do not like Bach's piece. If that is the case, I will assign Sacrlatti's Sonata instead of Bach's Prelude or Fugue, or Invention.

He's not a big Bach fan. He played most of the two-part Inventions but never really liked Bach. I think that has something to do with it. He's more interested in Haydn for some reasons.

Quote:

Playing a same piece for two years is too long!! I won't blame that your son is losing interest in this piece.

My son has never played a piece for more than 2 years. It was students of AZN's colleagues.

Quote:

Pianomouse's idea is the best idea. Try this link Craig Richey at Long Beach State. I attended his presentation about Bach's piece a while ago and I really like him and his interpretation. Let your teacher knows that you like to have a master teacher maybe every other month to support your current Bach piece. A mature teacher should not have problem with this.

It's a good idea, but I'm not sure it'll work for us (see my response to Pianomouse's reply). Thank you for your suggestions.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
116 registered (ando, AndresD, AndrewJCW, 36251, angga888, Abby Pianoman, 31 invisible), 1548 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156222 Topics
2294324 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai Cp200 repair needed
by Walks
23 minutes 31 seconds ago
BALDWIN R vs. STEINWAY M
by Karl Watson
Today at 08:11 AM
Best Digital Piano for Touch
by JoeCPiano
Today at 04:50 AM
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
Yesterday at 10:56 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission